06 rm125 build!

zac_k3
3/30/2017 11:54pm Edited Date/Time 6/4/2018 3:56am
about two months ago I picked up a 06 rm125 for $800 claiming to only need a top end, boy was that a lie. the bike has ended up needing the top end, full linkage bearing kit, a head stud removed where it had been broken off into the cylinder, new cylinder head, and a lot of different bolts. I'll keep the build updated as I go but can only do a little at a time being 16 working at a grocery store!

|
RussB
Fantasy
866th
3/31/2017 12:53am
Great bikes!
Other than needing a little clean, it looks pretty decent from what I can see. Still on the original frame paint?

Plenty of info around on these bikes and some knowledgeable guys own them on this forum so if you need any pointers and advice then don't hesitate to ask!
Also if you need parts then you will be surprised what people have, you can save yourself a few bucks if you make good contacts.

From my experience, 13/51 gearing, a V-Force reed block and an HGS pipe work really well on these. Maybe an OS front brake kit if you're a bigger guy or just want more stopping power. Check the fork/shock springs are correct for your weight and you are good to go!
Jmicmoto13
3/31/2017 3:49am
I'm in the same stages with my '05. Gonna start slowly building her up. Interested in this one! Keep us updated!
zac_k3
3/31/2017 12:04pm
RussB wrote:
Great bikes! Other than needing a little clean, it looks pretty decent from what I can see. Still on the original frame paint? Plenty of info...
Great bikes!
Other than needing a little clean, it looks pretty decent from what I can see. Still on the original frame paint?

Plenty of info around on these bikes and some knowledgeable guys own them on this forum so if you need any pointers and advice then don't hesitate to ask!
Also if you need parts then you will be surprised what people have, you can save yourself a few bucks if you make good contacts.

From my experience, 13/51 gearing, a V-Force reed block and an HGS pipe work really well on these. Maybe an OS front brake kit if you're a bigger guy or just want more stopping power. Check the fork/shock springs are correct for your weight and you are good to go!
yeah the bikes pretty much all stock including the frame paint, I may run the gearing set up and the vforce reeds but I have the hook up on fmf products so I'll probably end up going with a factory fatty.
zac_k3
3/31/2017 12:08pm
Jmicmoto13 wrote:
I'm in the same stages with my '05. Gonna start slowly building her up. Interested in this one! Keep us updated!
yeah I so far have only bought the things i need to get it running but in the future I plan on framing the bike, powder coating the frame, doing something with the wheels, and maybe some dlc coatings for the suspension. I wish I would have taken some more pictures of the cleaning process, she was dirty!Shocked

The Shop

zac_k3
3/31/2017 12:31pm Edited Date/Time 3/31/2017 12:31pm
here is a pic of the pipe before some cleaning and after, when I order the new header I'll also order a sticker for the shorty. all I'm waiting on is some stuff before cranking her over. I'm also going to attach a pic of the wiring, in my mind it looks pretty shabby but is that how it's suppose go minus some tidying up? haven't ever really had a bike that has been messed with lol.

zac_k3
3/31/2017 12:32pm
forgot to add this one

wsc96
Fantasy
553rd
3/31/2017 5:55pm
Great project Cool
RussB
Fantasy
866th
4/1/2017 6:24am
Wiring looks spot on to me!
Suzuki wiring isn't the best and the looms on the RM aren't made all that well. Some of the wires are far too long and can make it look messy.

Clean it up with a damp cloth and pop open and clean up all the connectors and it will be sweet! Cable tie back any slack/loose wires but don't secure them stupidly tight, as some do need to be able to move a little with the steering.
zac_k3
4/1/2017 12:46pm
thanks everyone for the replies! anyone ever ran their carb houses a different route? I seen this on a bike for sale, it was a pr2 race bike and I was very interested how they did their hoses.

zac_k3
4/6/2017 12:58pm
sorry for no new updates but nothing has really been going on, I'm waiting to get the linkage back from g-force, the bearings were so bad they had to be cut out and im also starting to save the money for my suspension to get completely redone, I'm thinking about either going black tubes with blue lowers or yellow tubes with blue lowers like broc tickles bike. what so you guys think?
Slosh 112
4/7/2017 5:09pm
Black tubes are hard to keep looking nice just like black rims, Look real nice when new but after a few rides small stone chips and exposure to sunlight are noticeable. Had my tubes on my RM done in matte clear, looks really nice.
zac_k3
4/7/2017 11:21pm
yeah that's what I figured, I'm not sure what I want to do. I can't justify to my parents spending $800 just for the kashima coating and I don't think I could bring myself to do it either reason being the price and I feel like it's what everyone does.
Hamish F
4/9/2017 9:09pm
Love a good RM. If you are keen on shifting 12-51 gearing will pull great. A CRF master front master cylinder (07-up) and genuine pads are all that's needed for the brakes, the stock master cylinder is a bad design. Also, make sure you set the sag. I run a rider sag of 105mm with the forks raised 5mm up in the clamps and it is stable but still turns good. Good luck with it, they are great bikes.
zac_k3
4/10/2017 1:33am
Hamish F wrote:
Love a good RM. If you are keen on shifting 12-51 gearing will pull great. A CRF master front master cylinder (07-up) and genuine pads are...
Love a good RM. If you are keen on shifting 12-51 gearing will pull great. A CRF master front master cylinder (07-up) and genuine pads are all that's needed for the brakes, the stock master cylinder is a bad design. Also, make sure you set the sag. I run a rider sag of 105mm with the forks raised 5mm up in the clamps and it is stable but still turns good. Good luck with it, they are great bikes.
thanks for the tips!
zac_k3
4/10/2017 11:06pm
does anyone know if rm250 wheels will fit a 125? if so I come scoop up some nice wheels for a decent price.
RussB
Fantasy
866th
4/10/2017 11:43pm
zac_k3 wrote:
does anyone know if rm250 wheels will fit a 125? if so I come scoop up some nice wheels for a decent price.
They will fit however the rear wheel from an RM250 has a wider rim than the 125, which may alter the profile of the 100/19 tyre when fitted, as the RM250 rim is designed for 110/19 tyres.
Front wheels are identical.
zac_k3
4/11/2017 12:49am
zac_k3 wrote:
RussB wrote:
They will fit however the rear wheel from an RM250 has a wider rim than the 125, which may alter the profile of the 100/19 tyre...
They will fit however the rear wheel from an RM250 has a wider rim than the 125, which may alter the profile of the 100/19 tyre when fitted, as the RM250 rim is designed for 110/19 tyres.
Front wheels are identical.
do you think i would run into any problems doing this? If so id like to jump on the wheels immediately.
RussB
Fantasy
866th
4/11/2017 1:21am
zac_k3 wrote:
do you think i would run into any problems doing this? If so id like to jump on the wheels immediately.
I really couldn't say. A 100/19 tyre would mount fine on the larger rim, but as to how well it would preform I really don't know. The wider rim would make the tyre have a squarer profile which could effect the grip when leaning.

If the wheel set is a great deal then you could always buy it and replace the rear rim later down the road.

Alternatively if you are concerned, start a separate thread on the issue as I'm sure people will have done this before and can report if you can get away with it or not.
Slosh 112
4/13/2017 4:05am Edited Date/Time 4/13/2017 4:06am
I dont reckon you would notice the difference with the wider rim unless you are riding every day or can pick fine differences, just don't fit up a 110 section rear on a 125, it will kill the power and be a waste of a new tyre.
Joyner41
Fantasy
1783rd
4/13/2017 11:32am
Honestly, I'm running a 110 on a 1.85 rim, it's not that bad. You notice a smidge of power loss, but for a nice set of Pirelli's at 75% off, you wont hear a peep out of me.

A little off topic, oops! Whistling
zac_k3
4/17/2017 12:16am
I need some help deciding what to do wheel wise, I don't know what route i wanna go. i don't know if I want to do black rims with blue hubs, yellow rims with cerakote hubs, or maybe black with gold hubs. everyone give me some opinions!
RussB
Fantasy
866th
4/17/2017 4:16am
zac_k3 wrote:
I need some help deciding what to do wheel wise, I don't know what route i wanna go. i don't know if I want to do...
I need some help deciding what to do wheel wise, I don't know what route i wanna go. i don't know if I want to do black rims with blue hubs, yellow rims with cerakote hubs, or maybe black with gold hubs. everyone give me some opinions!
Always a tough decision....

Heres my RM with a black rimset

Heres Cooper 688's RM with a gold rimset

In the long run, Gold rims last far better than black.
Black rims wear from riding and tyre changes and the scratches and missing colour show up far more on a black rim than a gold rim

Hub wise it has to be a bronze/ceretoke colour for sure. But a blue hub can work well if you go for a graphic kit with blue hints to it. Here is a nice blue hub/graphic combo

4/17/2017 7:11am
You're right Russ, always a tough decision! I was just thinking that I want to try my black wheels off my KTM on the RM, looks badass on yours, love it.

Zac, I went with Talon "magnesium" colour with yellow rims.

zac_k3
4/24/2017 7:14pm
well I got the opportunity to get the frame, swing arm, and subframe powder coated so I went ahead and framed the bike tonight, hopefully it'll be back from getting coated by the weekend! Stay tuned Cool
mikejones202
Fantasy
3161st
4/25/2017 11:12am
Best of luck! I ended up doing my 04 with a black frame, subframe, swingarm, and forks were hard anodized...take a look at my finished product!

Best of luck with yours. Slosh and Joyner know what they are talking about on these things!
zac_k3
4/25/2017 11:22am
Best of luck! I ended up doing my 04 with a black frame, subframe, swingarm, and forks were hard anodized...take a look at my finished product...
Best of luck! I ended up doing my 04 with a black frame, subframe, swingarm, and forks were hard anodized...take a look at my finished product!

Best of luck with yours. Slosh and Joyner know what they are talking about on these things!
your bike looks insane! I'm doing all black, but I'm going a different route with my wheels and a lot of other stuff. what chain did you use?
zac_k3
4/25/2017 8:13pm

here it all is before leaving to go to the sand blasters!
FTB
4/26/2017 1:55am
zac_k3 wrote:
I need some help deciding what to do wheel wise, I don't know what route i wanna go. i don't know if I want to do...
RussB wrote:
Always a tough decision.... Heres my RM with a black rimset [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/04/17/188481/s1200_s780_IMG_1208.jpg[/img] Heres Cooper 688's RM with a gold rimset [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/04/17/188482/s1200_s1600_RM_1.jpg[/img] In the long run, Gold...
Always a tough decision....

Heres my RM with a black rimset

Heres Cooper 688's RM with a gold rimset

In the long run, Gold rims last far better than black.
Black rims wear from riding and tyre changes and the scratches and missing colour show up far more on a black rim than a gold rim

Hub wise it has to be a bronze/ceretoke colour for sure. But a blue hub can work well if you go for a graphic kit with blue hints to it. Here is a nice blue hub/graphic combo

You can touch up Black rims using a marker pen/paint pen. Try that with Yellow or Gold.

I've ended up with Black. I think Yellow looks the best though.
mikejones202
Fantasy
3161st
4/26/2017 12:41pm
Best of luck! I ended up doing my 04 with a black frame, subframe, swingarm, and forks were hard anodized...take a look at my finished product...

zac_k3 wrote:
your bike looks insane! I'm doing all black, but I'm going a different route with my wheels and a lot of other stuff. what chain did...
your bike looks insane! I'm doing all black, but I'm going a different route with my wheels and a lot of other stuff. what chain did you use?
Thanks! She runs pretty darn good too. When I bought it the wheels and hubs were powder coated black. They are alright but I had to rebuild my 250f this winter too so new wheels weren't in the budget. Planning on new ones later this year. The chain is a DID ERT2. I just am about finished up my 250f and will start a build thread then if you want to take a look at that. I also have one on here for the 125.
zac_k3
4/26/2017 1:31pm

zac_k3 wrote:
your bike looks insane! I'm doing all black, but I'm going a different route with my wheels and a lot of other stuff. what chain did...
Thanks! She runs pretty darn good too. When I bought it the wheels and hubs were powder coated black. They are alright but I had to...
Thanks! She runs pretty darn good too. When I bought it the wheels and hubs were powder coated black. They are alright but I had to rebuild my 250f this winter too so new wheels weren't in the budget. Planning on new ones later this year. The chain is a DID ERT2. I just am about finished up my 250f and will start a build thread then if you want to take a look at that. I also have one on here for the 125.
what'd you go with internal wise? I haven't been able to fire mine up and I'm going to prepare for the worst before I get my wheels done. actually before j decided to go with the powder coated frame and what not I was looking at your thread!

Post a reply to: 06 rm125 build!

The Latest