2012 YZ290F black & finished with pics

Edited Date/Time 8/17/2017 1:30pm
Found this "heap" for about 1000$ here in sweden, knocking bottom end but complete and running.

My first idea was to use the YZ250 -02 engine i had, and it lined perfectly with swing arm and sprocket-to-sprocket. But after some measuring i realized i have to cut out in the front of the frame for the pipe (even if i cut of the original mounts seen in picture) , i do a lot of aluminum welding my self but in this case it involves after treatment of the frame and i have some trust issues with that.

So, sold of the YZ250 engine and the parts belonging to it and started the plan to make an 290, with lots of performance parts to make it strong enough for my taste.

Things already bought for the engine:

Athena 290cc kit
Carillo rod incl. piston pin
Hot rods main bearings
yamaha crank pin and bearing
Hot cams stg 2 intake & exhaust
new valves and porting the cylinder head
moto tassinari air4orce intake boot

There will be more things to this list, and everything on the engine will be powdercoated or painted.
Since this is my first dirtbike build, feel free to point out things to consider.

|
12/26/2016 5:52am
After unboxing the Athena kit i got worried:

Looks like I got an low c/r piston, but part no. says it's 13,5:1. Maybe it's because the combustion chamber in the cylinder head gets relatively small to the bigger cylinder bore, therefore the bigger volume in the piston top. Someone with experience maybe knows?
12/26/2016 9:24am

Found this little surprise when i split the cases, not much oil going through there! Preavious owner must have ridden the bike without oilfiller cap I think, it was dirt/sand when I felt it with my fingers.
Rogerson207
12/26/2016 11:34am
Sounds like a cool build, looking forward to the pics.
12/27/2016 1:08pm
I had the frame and swing arm sandblasted and powder coated, i also did the wheels complete. Went through the spokes first before the sandblast. Thinking about building a new set of wheels later, so didn't want to waste time on these.

The Shop

12/29/2016 2:02am
The carillo rod looks so nice, it is a little more expensive but it's nice to know that it probably won't snap.

Vanilla
12/30/2016 6:15am
Nice project.

I had a Athena 290 kit on a 2010 Yamaha, had a lot of blown head gaskets with it. It did make a whole lot of bottom power. Do you plan on using other cams etc?
12/30/2016 10:25am
Vanilla wrote:
Nice project. I had a Athena 290 kit on a 2010 Yamaha, had a lot of blown head gaskets with it. It did make a whole...
Nice project.

I had a Athena 290 kit on a 2010 Yamaha, had a lot of blown head gaskets with it. It did make a whole lot of bottom power. Do you plan on using other cams etc?
Ok, did you find the source of the problem? I have read about some issues with this kit, but i will check everything prior to final installation. The cylinder head is away to be ported at the moment, and i have stg 2 hot cams that I will use. Hopefully it will make a nice power band.
smoothies862
Fantasy
676th
12/31/2016 11:48am
that oil screenBlink never seen one that bad. looking forward to this bike build.
1/1/2017 3:49am Edited Date/Time 1/1/2017 3:52am
that oil screenBlink never seen one that bad. looking forward to this bike build.
Yeah no wonder it was knocking
1/16/2017 6:19am
Doesn't happen too much in the garage at the moment, still waiting on the cylinder head and a new crank half (old one had worn sprocket). I unboxed the air4orce intake boot i got for about 100$ (New!) it will be interesting to see which one of the runners will suit the bigger bore.

1/27/2017 1:22pm Edited Date/Time 1/27/2017 1:31pm
While waiting for parts, i bought some more parts, the hydraulic clutch lever from Magyar is awesome, and the temp gauge is mandatory in my world when you're tuning an engine (also going to use wide band lambda meter while jetting the engine), the power flow kit is to make sure the old steel cage don't restrict air flow!
2/16/2017 2:06pm
Finally got my cylinder head back from porting:

I found out where to weld a bung for temp sensor:

I also found out that i can't do anything normally or reasonably, now I had a vision of the bike TOTALLY black with apple candy red engine and matching custom graphics. So this means a whole lot more work, I'm going to sandblast and powder coat every metal part on the bike except the forks that will be re-anodized black. If I can afford it, the lower fork legs will get DLC black coating. Hopefully this will end up really nice, i believe these two colors with carefully made graphics is what need on the bike!
Slosh 112
2/16/2017 3:26pm
Thats a nice porting job on the intake side. Ben a while since I've seen the valve guides cut level with the runner. Nice!! With your colours why don't you anodise the engine black and get some Red anodised wheels and recd accents in the graphics kit and a few red billet pieces here and there?
2/17/2017 11:24pm
Slosh 112 wrote:
Thats a nice porting job on the intake side. Ben a while since I've seen the valve guides cut level with the runner. Nice!! With your...
Thats a nice porting job on the intake side. Ben a while since I've seen the valve guides cut level with the runner. Nice!! With your colours why don't you anodise the engine black and get some Red anodised wheels and recd accents in the graphics kit and a few red billet pieces here and there?
That thought crossed my mind, totally red wheels and totally black bike. But I'll save that for the next build.
2/18/2017 2:26am
Spent the evening masking and sandblasting, very time consuming (more than i estimated)

Lightning78
2/21/2017 1:52am
Found this "heap" for about 1000$ here in sweden, knocking bottom end but complete and running. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/12/26/165686/s1200_IMG_3809.jpg[/img] My first idea was to use the YZ250 -02...
Found this "heap" for about 1000$ here in sweden, knocking bottom end but complete and running.

My first idea was to use the YZ250 -02 engine i had, and it lined perfectly with swing arm and sprocket-to-sprocket. But after some measuring i realized i have to cut out in the front of the frame for the pipe (even if i cut of the original mounts seen in picture) , i do a lot of aluminum welding my self but in this case it involves after treatment of the frame and i have some trust issues with that.

So, sold of the YZ250 engine and the parts belonging to it and started the plan to make an 290, with lots of performance parts to make it strong enough for my taste.

Athena 290cc kit
Hot rods main bearings

There will be more things to this list, and everything on the engine will be powdercoated or painted.
Since this is my first dirtbike build, feel free to point out things to consider.

I built a 2007 CRF280 with the exact same setup only I scored a brand new Tom Morgan full on race head ported with xelydine (sp) valves for the bike and my god that bike felt like what you'd expect a modern 400 to be like if that makes any sense.... I ran a stage 2 hotcam to keep the power spread out, had one of those low boy full carbon can single sided exhausts on it and maaaan that bike was unreal, lightweight with big bike power .... I hope yours turns out as good as mine did Bec it was the perfect amount of power.
Lightning78
2/21/2017 2:03am
Oooo a black anodized engine looking like one of the 80's Yamaha TT bikes white with red accents would look pretty badass though ... I'm sure this bike will be badass when done!
2/22/2017 1:34am
Found this "heap" for about 1000$ here in sweden, knocking bottom end but complete and running. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/12/26/165686/s1200_IMG_3809.jpg[/img] My first idea was to use the YZ250 -02...

Athena 290cc kit
Hot rods main bearings

I built a 2007 CRF280 with the exact same setup only I scored a brand new Tom Morgan full on race head ported with xelydine (sp)...
I built a 2007 CRF280 with the exact same setup only I scored a brand new Tom Morgan full on race head ported with xelydine (sp) valves for the bike and my god that bike felt like what you'd expect a modern 400 to be like if that makes any sense.... I ran a stage 2 hotcam to keep the power spread out, had one of those low boy full carbon can single sided exhausts on it and maaaan that bike was unreal, lightweight with big bike power .... I hope yours turns out as good as mine did Bec it was the perfect amount of power.
I think i have read about your bike, and that was one of the inspirations to my build. The 450 is just to much and a stock 250 is too mellow, i hope this will be a screamer with a little 2-stroke character
Lightning78
2/22/2017 2:28am
I think i have read about your bike, and that was one of the inspirations to my build. The 450 is just to much and a...
I think i have read about your bike, and that was one of the inspirations to my build. The 450 is just to much and a stock 250 is too mellow, i hope this will be a screamer with a little 2-stroke character
Mine went from your typical 250f screamer to a MEATY feeling torque laiden monster! It felt like it revved, i dont want to say "slower" per se but more like it had a flywheel weight (which it didnt) or like it had a ling rod kit installed (also didnt have) just that i got the sensation there was SO much more fury between each and every stroke i can remember that feeling of that engine with a huge smile but its hard to put into words. I can say withput a doubt I gave up NOTHING to a 2007 CRF450 bec for the slight difference in HP the bike fully made up for it with lighter weight and if you want ultra responsiveness you'd be good to run a 100/100 or 90/19 I cant remember tye exact size but whatever rear tire size 250f's first came out with when there were still 125's around. The bike was a lot faster than a YZ400f and the powerband felt a lot like a very healthy 250 2 stroke very similar to a 2003-up YZ250 if i were to model its characteristics. Maybe that gives you an idea of what to expect, youll notice some increase in engine braking too which i came to like nothing gnarly but noticable.

One thing you want to be VERY aware of i found with mine it had a Voracious appetite for the air and fuel mixture not that it got drastically less tank range but jetting was critical, pay EXTRA SPECIAL attention to jetting at 2/3 or 3/4 throttle to max flat out throttle because ultimately thats what did me in and the reason i had to sell the bike after breaking my back. Obviously the larger combustion area draws more fuel but with the shorter stroke of a modern 250f engine at 12,000 rpm you want to make sure theres always enough fuel being delivered up top bec most the time at this throttle position youre usually about to be clearing a sizeable jump or tearing ass through a pretty gnarly section of track or trail and a chop of the throttle to snapping it back on WOT will suck the normal amount of available fuel right out of that carb. Not the entire float bowl but the amount the carb would deliver to a even well jetted 250f. Its strange, you wont experience any engine performance symptoms of it being lean or not getting enough fuel we made every attempt to get rid of the infamous "Honda bog" my generation of CRF250's were known for and we were very successful except of this ONE time it wasnt that kind of a "bog" though there was a split second hesitation of nothing from the engine and my body just like KR94 and Bogle was positioned to weight the bike and articulate it through the arc of a jump as i was on the face of a full blown peak to peak 60' double when it happened which resulted in my own Kenny moment. My rear wheel stepped out at the last second i chopped the throttle, brought her back in line and hit the throttle and .... nada. Mind you this all happened so fast i was already going ass over teakettle before i realized that i was fooked!

My best advice (this was NOT a main jet issue we were spot on there) would be that youre dialed with the accelerator pump and leak jet in the carb maybe over compensate just a hair as Its prob a little difficult to replicate and adjust for since there isnt a lot of data on jetting a 290f in the upper echelons of the RPM's its important to know and compensate for the larger draw with a big bore engine spinning that fast. I remember now, i had put a reducer ring in the carb for the Honda Bog which cured it as a 250f Bec it was really bad and after like the first ride as the mighty 280f we (me and a buddy whos a top level mechanic) Stock, the 06&07 crf250's carbs were too big with a stock engine but juuuust right for a big bore. Sorry for the novel but i just want to make sure youre 100% successful in the ONLY part i missed with my bike. Like i said its not something youre gonna experience doing garage revs, roll on tests or at wide open throttle even when chopping and getting back on the throttle but if theres ONE thing im greatful to pass along as advice youre not likely to ever hear, its this, although you're on a Yamaha which if I remember didn't have this problem much if at all so this advice could be all hot air and i dont want to make it sound all doomsday just something i would've been so thankful to know when building that bike, it even had RG3's full anno & DLC Diamond kit suspension 18mm shock shaft... this bike was, in a word BITCHIN' ... i miss it and im gonna look for some pics ill post of it too.
Lightning78
2/22/2017 2:39am Edited Date/Time 2/22/2017 3:01am
Ahh I'm remembering every ride on that bike now..... You'll have the exquisite handling of a 250f and the punch and pull of a 400/450 without the obnoxious inertia or weight that even if you had an ultra light 450 you'd feel since it's a characteristic of the larger moving parts of a 450 in gemeral if your comment above IS what you're looking for then I have no doubt you'll be all smiles, it was the perfect bike. I've ridden the earlier KTM350's I think the second year Model that came out and my bike was lightyears better in engine raw power and handling. I can't wait to hear how much you'll like it once you're done. Don't rule out the idea of a flywheel weight if it still feels like a 250f the power will be there and the stage 2 cam should maximize it BUT just in case. I remember I went from the stock 51 tooth rear sprocket to a 47 and the bike had zero problems pulling it and made the trans gearing/spacing perfect for the increased power. It sounded so throaty and healthy too a real head turner when I'd be on the gas.

OH DONT FORGET to install stiffer aftermarket clutch springs. I used the Tusk ones and they were GREAT! My clutch never slipped and lasted me till I sold the bike.... Gawd I regret that now but unfortunately I had to.
2/23/2017 6:34am
Ahh I'm remembering every ride on that bike now..... You'll have the exquisite handling of a 250f and the punch and pull of a 400/450 without...
Ahh I'm remembering every ride on that bike now..... You'll have the exquisite handling of a 250f and the punch and pull of a 400/450 without the obnoxious inertia or weight that even if you had an ultra light 450 you'd feel since it's a characteristic of the larger moving parts of a 450 in gemeral if your comment above IS what you're looking for then I have no doubt you'll be all smiles, it was the perfect bike. I've ridden the earlier KTM350's I think the second year Model that came out and my bike was lightyears better in engine raw power and handling. I can't wait to hear how much you'll like it once you're done. Don't rule out the idea of a flywheel weight if it still feels like a 250f the power will be there and the stage 2 cam should maximize it BUT just in case. I remember I went from the stock 51 tooth rear sprocket to a 47 and the bike had zero problems pulling it and made the trans gearing/spacing perfect for the increased power. It sounded so throaty and healthy too a real head turner when I'd be on the gas.

OH DONT FORGET to install stiffer aftermarket clutch springs. I used the Tusk ones and they were GREAT! My clutch never slipped and lasted me till I sold the bike.... Gawd I regret that now but unfortunately I had to.
That was some write-up, thanks
2/23/2017 6:41am
My candy-red vision didn't get approved by my wallet, but i found a color at the paint shop that i
liked so I just went with it:

2/23/2017 6:50am
Also got the crank finished, and i have all new bearings and seals so now it's time to assembly

3/8/2017 1:36pm
Got the garage cleaned up throughly prior to the engine build, so now i have installed a few seals and are about to push the bearings in place. One thing that i noticed was that all bearings were marked either Taiwan or Korea, these are hotrod and maybe that's an "budget" brand?
The ones I pulled out from the engine were marked Japan.

3/10/2017 3:48pm
wow.. that is different.. will the painted clutch cover hold up against scratches from boots?
3/11/2017 12:34am
It probably won't hold up for much, but I'm going to
wrap both covers with some transparent protection.
Does anyone have any experience in hard-anodizing the aluminum parts on the bike? I'm going to do all the parts, master cylinders/calipers/ triple clamp/upper fork legs and so on
Slosh 112
3/13/2017 2:50am Edited Date/Time 3/13/2017 12:36pm
It probably won't hold up for much, but I'm going to wrap both covers with some transparent protection. Does anyone have any experience in hard-anodizing the...
It probably won't hold up for much, but I'm going to
wrap both covers with some transparent protection.
Does anyone have any experience in hard-anodizing the aluminum parts on the bike? I'm going to do all the parts, master cylinders/calipers/ triple clamp/upper fork legs and so on
Don't wanna bomb your thread with a heap of pics of my bike but have a look at my build thread. I got almost every aluminium part on the bike done in black bar the swingarm, rear suspension rocker linkage, Cylinder and a few other things. Theres a fair few pics on there, they start at around page 4 or so if you don't wanna go through the whole lot. 2008 RM125 Rebuild.

Post a reply to: 2012 YZ290F black & finished with pics

The Latest