My budget RM250 build (and how to cut out a swingarm bolt from Hell) Final pics*

NorCal 50+
Edited Date/Time 2/11/2018 10:26am
This won't be one of those "ooh and ahhh" builds. My goal was to get my bike into respectable shape to get back into riding after five years off. (I have three-year old so that is where most of my money goes).

Here she is. (2004 RM250) Has six mx seasons on her, and a lot of sand riding. I parked her when I got my RMZ450, which I raced for two seasons and sold. Fork seals (and pretty much every other seal) are wasted, seat is sacked out etc.

She needs some work

The tear down part is easy, right?

But the swingarm bolt is stuck! (I have seen this problem before). I have pounded on it, heated the frame, put dry ice on the bolt...and took it to two shops. No luck so far! The arm actually moves okay, but now of course the end is flared and I can't get the nut back on.
Anybody know a shop in the Sacramento area that could handle this?

|
NorCal 50+
6/18/2017 10:45am
Pipe cleaned up nicely

New Vertex piston looks a bit better

New top end, pipe cleaned, new Devol radiator guards

NorCal 50+
6/18/2017 10:46am
New Guts Racing tall seat for that Bumblebee look:

The Shop

NorCal 50+
6/18/2017 11:08am
New steering head bearings, and a TAG triple clamp off Ebay. Forks re-done with new oil and seals, rear shock rebuilt and recharged.

jeffro503
6/18/2017 5:08pm
It's coming together. You need to beat the living shit out of that swingarm pivot bolt! Put the bike up against something solid and take a damn 20lb sludge hammer to that son of a bitch. It'll break loose sooner or later. Probably have to replace the pivot bolt anyways , so it doesn't matter if you damage it. It won't hurt the frame or swing arm , but it'll come out after a severe beating.
b8res
6/18/2017 11:34pm
Have you tried to loosen up thr motor mounts? Then try to tap it out. The pivot points in the cases my be binding the swingarm bolt.
OLDTIMER
6/19/2017 2:30am
CRC 5-56 could also help . Take your time and it will help a lot .Give it time to penetrate, try to move a little bit , spray again , blow oil in with air pressure ... Most important is that the oil need time to gets in . Once it start moving 1 mm, it go's fast . So it worked for me . Use enough oil .
Take your time and good luck .
captmoto
6/19/2017 6:17am
Once you get it to move you are going to have to get a machine shop to mill off the mushroom you beat into the end of it to get it out. I like Kroil or Fluid Film and patience for getting things unstuck but a swingarm pivot is a different deal.
Good luck.
NorCal 50+
6/19/2017 11:02am
Thanks for the tips- I have used all kinds of lubes and liquid wrench...

Someone told me to build a square out of 4x6's and put the bike on its side and use that. The problem is getting a good swing at it (already dented the frame). So maybe some type of wood frame around it so I can bang it without hitting the frame. This thing is stuck!
rmoto003
6/19/2017 3:07pm
Can you slip a hacksaw blade between the motor/swingarm or the swingarm/frame? Cut that bitch off
CrGuy2T
Fantasy
3719th
6/19/2017 4:36pm Edited Date/Time 6/19/2017 4:36pm
The bearings are probably broke and seized in between the sleeve and the pivot bolt . Good luck.
NorCal 50+
6/19/2017 7:51pm
rmoto003 wrote:
Can you slip a hacksaw blade between the motor/swingarm or the swingarm/frame? Cut that bitch off
One shop said he could try and cut it but he might cut the case and too bad if he does. I hear cutting them out is a real biotch.

I even tried to build a puller out of pipe, some washers and a threaded rod to pull the sucker but no luck. It might be the mother of all stuck swingarm bolts.
6/19/2017 8:53pm
The left hand side that you have mushroomed... just use a dremel with a burr bit on it and grind the mushrooming down so that it can be knocked through (eventually).

The right hand side where your rear brake is. Your pivot shaft should have a hole running through it. Tap this hole and fit a large bolt. Now get a rattle gun on the bolt you fitted to the shaft and start spinning the shaft. Spin, PB blast, spin, blast until the whole unit is sloppy and loose. Now try banging it out from the left side. Bang, spin, blast, bang spin blast.. you get the idea..

NorCal 50+
6/20/2017 2:37pm
The left hand side that you have mushroomed... just use a dremel with a burr bit on it and grind the mushrooming down so that it...
The left hand side that you have mushroomed... just use a dremel with a burr bit on it and grind the mushrooming down so that it can be knocked through (eventually).

The right hand side where your rear brake is. Your pivot shaft should have a hole running through it. Tap this hole and fit a large bolt. Now get a rattle gun on the bolt you fitted to the shaft and start spinning the shaft. Spin, PB blast, spin, blast until the whole unit is sloppy and loose. Now try banging it out from the left side. Bang, spin, blast, bang spin blast.. you get the idea..

Alrighty- I will give that a try once I get some time!
NHtoWA421
6/20/2017 9:51pm
Careful with beating the piss out of it too bad. I beat mine and bent the frame so bad I couldn't get the linkage bolt out. Ended up buying a new frame. Recommend getting rid of the mushroom and gently tapping it out if it already moved. Or hacksawing if possible.
NorcalVet
6/21/2017 3:53pm
b8res wrote:
Have you tried to loosen up thr motor mounts? Then try to tap it out. The pivot points in the cases my be binding the swingarm...
Have you tried to loosen up thr motor mounts? Then try to tap it out. The pivot points in the cases my be binding the swingarm bolt.
... watch out Rick
Another 50+ Norcalr' on a RM 250
-- next he'll be a gangster (OTHG) too

b8res
6/21/2017 6:28pm
NorcalVet wrote:
... watch out Rick Another 50+ Norcalr' on a RM 250 -- next he'll be a gangster (OTHG) too [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/06/21/201299/s1200_IMG_7673.jpg[/img]
... watch out Rick
Another 50+ Norcalr' on a RM 250
-- next he'll be a gangster (OTHG) too

Ha.... he's gotta get that pesky swingarm pivot out bolt out first. Need more RM's in the mix....... ya.... this means you too!
NorCal 50+
6/22/2017 5:53pm
Full disclosure...I am a recently transplanted east coaster. I have only been here a month and already branding myself "NorCal"- typical! It is part of my celebration for being here, which is freaking awesome except for the heat right now.
kwenske321
6/22/2017 6:11pm
NorCal 50+ wrote:
This won't be one of those "ooh and ahhh" builds. My goal was to get my bike into respectable shape to get back into riding after...
This won't be one of those "ooh and ahhh" builds. My goal was to get my bike into respectable shape to get back into riding after five years off. (I have three-year old so that is where most of my money goes).

Here she is. (2004 RM250) Has six mx seasons on her, and a lot of sand riding. I parked her when I got my RMZ450, which I raced for two seasons and sold. Fork seals (and pretty much every other seal) are wasted, seat is sacked out etc.

She needs some work

The tear down part is easy, right?

But the swingarm bolt is stuck! (I have seen this problem before). I have pounded on it, heated the frame, put dry ice on the bolt...and took it to two shops. No luck so far! The arm actually moves okay, but now of course the end is flared and I can't get the nut back on.
Anybody know a shop in the Sacramento area that could handle this?

Same thing happened on my friends RM125. Go to harbor freight or find a shop that has a good size hydrolic press. Lay the bike on it's side and use the press to press the bolt out. It's works nicely and shouldn't tear anything up.
b8res
6/22/2017 6:43pm
NorCal 50+ wrote:
Full disclosure...I am a recently transplanted east coaster. I have only been here a month and already branding myself "NorCal"- typical! It is part of my...
Full disclosure...I am a recently transplanted east coaster. I have only been here a month and already branding myself "NorCal"- typical! It is part of my celebration for being here, which is freaking awesome except for the heat right now.
Welcome..... yea... its been hot this past week...cooling this weekemd. Good luck on the RM. If your bored this weekend ( Sunday ) we (OTHG) are racing at MMX in Marysville, just north of Sacramento. Racing starting around 9 or so. Come out and say hi! I race the 52 intermediate class on a 06 RM250, race #2s.

Not trying to hi jack your build thread.

Rick
NorCal 50+
6/22/2017 7:36pm
NorCal 50+ wrote:
Full disclosure...I am a recently transplanted east coaster. I have only been here a month and already branding myself "NorCal"- typical! It is part of my...
b8res wrote:
Welcome..... yea... its been hot this past week...cooling this weekemd. Good luck on the RM. If your bored this weekend ( Sunday ) we (OTHG) are...
Welcome..... yea... its been hot this past week...cooling this weekemd. Good luck on the RM. If your bored this weekend ( Sunday ) we (OTHG) are racing at MMX in Marysville, just north of Sacramento. Racing starting around 9 or so. Come out and say hi! I race the 52 intermediate class on a 06 RM250, race #2s.

Not trying to hi jack your build thread.

Rick
That's awesome- thanks. I will try and make it out. Holy shit-- I hope it cools down before then.

I was checking out Marysville and noticed they had a proclamation of "Motocross City USA" or something. The amount of riding around here is phenomenal. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw Prairie City OHV- this is not something you see back East!
b8res
6/22/2017 7:53pm
NorCal 50+ wrote:
That's awesome- thanks. I will try and make it out. Holy shit-- I hope it cools down before then. I was checking out Marysville and noticed...
That's awesome- thanks. I will try and make it out. Holy shit-- I hope it cools down before then.

I was checking out Marysville and noticed they had a proclamation of "Motocross City USA" or something. The amount of riding around here is phenomenal. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw Prairie City OHV- this is not something you see back East!
Pretty good slice of riding within an hoir of Sacramento

There is 4 separate tracks ran by 2 different promoters, one of the Marysville promoters also operates the PCMX (Hangtown) track. We have a nice selection of tracks to suit most needs.

NorCal 50+
6/25/2017 5:33pm
I drove over to Marysville/Yuba City today from Grass Valley with my wife and kid and checked out MMX (could not locate any Vital'rs). It was cool to check out the track a little bit- it is sizable. They had just watered when I got there so it looked a little slick. This is a very healthy racing scene!

I really dug the drive back to Grass Valley on the edge of Beale air force base- endless prairie horizon to horizon. And the Sutter Buttes - this is a really interesting place. What I find most amazing is you drive a few miles and it looks like a different country than where you started.
It was cool to check out a bit of the scene. Hope you guys enjoyed the race- it was pretty freakin' hot!
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
6/25/2017 10:03pm
NorCal 50+ wrote:
I drove over to Marysville/Yuba City today from Grass Valley with my wife and kid and checked out MMX (could not locate any Vital'rs). It was...
I drove over to Marysville/Yuba City today from Grass Valley with my wife and kid and checked out MMX (could not locate any Vital'rs). It was cool to check out the track a little bit- it is sizable. They had just watered when I got there so it looked a little slick. This is a very healthy racing scene!

I really dug the drive back to Grass Valley on the edge of Beale air force base- endless prairie horizon to horizon. And the Sutter Buttes - this is a really interesting place. What I find most amazing is you drive a few miles and it looks like a different country than where you started.
It was cool to check out a bit of the scene. Hope you guys enjoyed the race- it was pretty freakin' hot!
I always loved traveling up there to race! Hangtown is awesome, E Street and Riverfront are both badass! Club Moto is another good one along with Argyl. Did a lot of racing up there when I was younger. Welcome to the west coast and if you get the chance to head to SoCal let me know!
Turbojez
6/26/2017 3:49am
You're slightly derailing this build thread bros. Wink
I want to know more about that pivot bolt. Did you force it into submission?
murph783
6/26/2017 4:56am
As far as the pivot bolt, 50/50 mix of acetone and atf works great as penetrating oil. Then after that I'd say grind down the mushroomed out side and have at it with the air hammer and torch

Post a reply to: My budget RM250 build (and how to cut out a swingarm bolt from Hell) Final pics*

The Latest