Light electric motos (aka bicycles)

xplane
Any and all thoughts on electric bikes are sought after in this thread, especially from current, past or prospective owners.

OK so I've had a few different stages of electric bike so far...the last build was a Gary Fisher Sugar 4+ w/ 5000W pumped thru a 1500W Leafmotor producing gobs of torque off idle and a

56 MPH top speed,

with no gears...This may be hard to believe for anyone unacquainted with powerful electric bikes but from a dead stop it has more torque than a 250 and will power wheelie like nobody's business (this also has to do with wheelbase and CG, see below). It's not that fast, just has insane torque until maybe 5 mph.

Now I've dismantled this machine cuz it's a midrange mtb, fun for the beginner, HIGHLY not optimal for someone who's spent even 5 minutes on a motocross bike. Mostly due to the suspension.

New build:

THE GOAL: have a badass 2 wheeled vehicle that handles vaguely like an MX bike, and can shred the streets and local MTB trails with complete stealth

BUDGET: $5k+
--$2K-$3K -- based off 26" downhill triple clamp MTB, 8" travel fr / r will update after I pick it up
--$1K -- 1.6KWh battery, LiPo, mounted over front wheel to from between forks to improve weight dist
--$alreadyhave12KW controller (16 HP, whp will be less due to conversion inefficiency and natural efficiency curve of motor)
--$50 -- pegs, no pedals (doesn't impact stealth factor TOO much because cops don't care about about electric bikes, in fact they are legal here if I go 20 mph or less)
--$800 for upgraded motor -- already have Leaf 1.5KW rear hub motor (tons of unsprung weight / weigh on periphery of CG but has the advantages of simplicity, completely silent operation, and large physical size to dissipate beaucoup power while hauling ass on the road)--TO BE UPGRADED TO 10KW peak capable motor...stay tuned.
--$100 modified seat for more comfort while chilling

WHY electric bikes are fucking awesome, and not stupid and lame
--fly under the radar due to the 26" wheels, bicycle frame and silent operation. try riding your unregistered motocross bike in the street, park, or mtb trails and see what happens
--they eat up traffic like you would not believe during rush hour in urban areas. If you like "threading the needle" and motorcycles, you will absolutely LOVE a fast ebike because they go anywhere, and right now.
--ever wanted to take your race bike thru the local city park, or thru those MTB trails or the badass area that forbids motorized vehicles? Now you can, because as long as you're not outright rude nobody will care that you're there.

Areas for improvement
--the battery depletes in a few miles if you ride it like your race bike and the motor will overheat. solution, don't go WOT all the time and don't cruise at top speed, your battery will last for a decent commute. Also, you charge it basically for free so that's a plus.
|
xplane
3/14/2017 3:29pm
OK, I'm extremely disappointed to see no replies.

Anyway the project is moving along swimmingly, and I got a bike to base it off of. Here are the current specs:

200 cell 20s10p battery w/ 2.1KWh capacity
3KW continuous motor w/ 10KW peak capacity
Orange 322 downhill frame, custom swingarm
Rockshox boxxer world cup front fork w/ 8" travel
Fox RC2 rear shock w/ 9.5" travel
es337
3/25/2017 10:31am
sounds pretty cool, any pictures?
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
3/25/2017 11:00pm
Saw one yesterday at a stop light. I was in the turn lane and he was in the other lane right next to me. Should have snapped a pic.
xplane
3/27/2017 3:32pm
Here's a pic of the old build:

Post a reply to: Light electric motos (aka bicycles)

The Latest