Rode an Alta today

seth505
Fantasy
1048th
11/19/2016 5:39pm Edited Date/Time 11/22/2017 8:23am
Pretty cool to get on one and try it around a track.

My quick review:
Power: Really good and torquey, probably in ballpark of a strong 250f (more grunt)
Chassis: Everything felt comfy and ergos were great as I first sat on the bike. Yes, no shifter or clutch is weird at first!
Brakes: Great, think KTM brembo setup
Traction: Very very good, it's so weird going into a very slow/tight corner and not needing to shift or use a clutch, it just powers out with awesome torque. Tracking through rough/bumpy straights was very good as well.

What I didn't like:
Pegs: they just don't have any bite on the teeth
Suspension: While it was very settled in corners and sweepers, it was a bit under damped and just felt springy. Didn't play with the clickers, they could have been backed way off.

https://youtu.be/6QMXtzRFNqE

Trail riding

https://youtu.be/1o08CCAhBig
|
kzizok
Fantasy
1859th
11/19/2016 8:01pm Edited Date/Time 11/19/2016 8:03pm
Would you race one? From a performance standpoint.
TsmithMX
11/20/2016 4:41pm
seth505 wrote:
Pretty cool to get on one and try it around a track. My quick review: Power: Really good and torquey, probably in ballpark of a strong...
Pretty cool to get on one and try it around a track.

My quick review:
Power: Really good and torquey, probably in ballpark of a strong 250f (more grunt)
Chassis: Everything felt comfy and ergos were great as I first sat on the bike. Yes, no shifter or clutch is weird at first!
Brakes: Great, think KTM brembo setup
Traction: Very very good, it's so weird going into a very slow/tight corner and not needing to shift or use a clutch, it just powers out with awesome torque. Tracking through rough/bumpy straights was very good as well.

What I didn't like:
Pegs: they just don't have any bite on the teeth
Suspension: While it was very settled in corners and sweepers, it was a bit under damped and just felt springy. Didn't play with the clickers, they could have been backed way off.

https://youtu.be/6QMXtzRFNqE

Trail riding

https://youtu.be/1o08CCAhBig
Good to know. Thanks for posting the review!
seth505
Fantasy
1048th
11/20/2016 7:02pm
kzizok wrote:
I guess I'd need more time to answer that properly but I wouldn't see why not. One of my main conflicts is I like the complexity of riding, in that I like needing to shift properly and use the clutch. I love 125s and don't love 4 strokes even though they are easier to ride so I'm a weird demographic.
kzizok
Fantasy
1859th
11/20/2016 7:29pm Edited Date/Time 11/20/2016 7:29pm
kzizok wrote:
seth505 wrote:
I guess I'd need more time to answer that properly but I wouldn't see why not. One of my main conflicts is I like the complexity...
I guess I'd need more time to answer that properly but I wouldn't see why not. One of my main conflicts is I like the complexity of riding, in that I like needing to shift properly and use the clutch. I love 125s and don't love 4 strokes even though they are easier to ride so I'm a weird demographic.
Just the fact that you would consider it, speaks volumes about the bike and how far along it is.

The Shop

seth505
Fantasy
1048th
11/20/2016 10:33pm
kzizok wrote:
seth505 wrote:
I guess I'd need more time to answer that properly but I wouldn't see why not. One of my main conflicts is I like the complexity...
kzizok wrote:
Just the fact that you would consider it, speaks volumes about the bike and how far along it is.
Agreed, it really feels like a dirtbike rather than some 1/2 or 3/4 of the way there bike. I just put in a quick vid in my original post.
kzizok
Fantasy
1859th
11/21/2016 8:13am Edited Date/Time 11/21/2016 8:21am
Thanks for posting this up. Personally, these real world experiences lend themselves to a lot of credibility.

Video was a good showcase.
seth505
Fantasy
1048th
11/21/2016 9:02am
kzizok wrote:
Thanks for posting this up. Personally, these real world experiences lend themselves to a lot of credibility. Video was a good showcase.
Thanks for posting this up. Personally, these real world experiences lend themselves to a lot of credibility.

Video was a good showcase.
Cool, glad you dig it man
Ted722
11/22/2016 7:29pm
How about engine braking...more like a 2-stroke or 4?
seth505
Fantasy
1048th
11/23/2016 6:47pm
Ted722 wrote:
More 2-stroke, like no engine braking.
Ted722
11/24/2016 6:10am
Ted722 wrote:
seth505 wrote:
More 2-stroke, like no engine braking.
Thanks. Definitely noticed the amount of traction Nicholl was getting through the matrix at Ontario Endurocross. No wasted energy (excuse the pun!) That bike was working good out there.
david225
11/26/2016 12:32pm
Thanks Seth for your input on the Alta, personally I think that it is pretty freakin sweet! However, I have yet to ride one, or see it in person.

As far as being on the track with other bikes and riders of various sizes and skill levels, is there any concern for safety both for you and everyone else? I know when a faster rider is coming up onto me I can hear their bike and have a sense of where they are. Did you have trouble with the slower riders or catch yourself in sketchy situations trying to get around people?
seth505
Fantasy
1048th
11/26/2016 4:26pm
david225 wrote:
Thanks Seth for your input on the Alta, personally I think that it is pretty freakin sweet! However, I have yet to ride one, or see...
Thanks Seth for your input on the Alta, personally I think that it is pretty freakin sweet! However, I have yet to ride one, or see it in person.

As far as being on the track with other bikes and riders of various sizes and skill levels, is there any concern for safety both for you and everyone else? I know when a faster rider is coming up onto me I can hear their bike and have a sense of where they are. Did you have trouble with the slower riders or catch yourself in sketchy situations trying to get around people?
Ya know, I was wondering the same thing as I sat on it, as far as being so quiet with other bikes. To be honest, once I got out there, I felt really comfortable and it was almost fun to still be on the throttle (in stealth mode) as a louder bike/slower rider would shut off. I did my best not to freak anyone out but I think it did catch a few people off guard. The thing has such good torque that I could hit all the inside ruts and power out of them so I was usually inside other riders and they saw me.
Honestly I have more sketchy moments on my 125 while I'm trying to carve outside lines and people just constantly swerve over on me. Maybe if I took a lot more outside lines on the Alta it would be sketchier since you can't hear it.
kzizok
Fantasy
1859th
11/26/2016 6:45pm Edited Date/Time 11/26/2016 6:47pm
david225 wrote:
Thanks Seth for your input on the Alta, personally I think that it is pretty freakin sweet! However, I have yet to ride one, or see...

You know, that is a good question. I must say though, in the days of two strokes, I seem to remember "feeling" someone behind me in cases where I never heard them. Especially with good riders that dont have bad throttle/clutch habits. Now, that could have just been what I thought happened but subconsciously, I heard them.

But man, the four strokes are so loud, I could see where an electric bike surprising them. Surprises and MX don't usually go together well.
Micahdogg
11/28/2016 1:29pm
I haven't even paid much attention to bikes lately. I used to catch all the shootouts and see who was the best, but honestly, since 2012 I haven't even read about all the pro's and con's of bikes now. Mostly because I don't care at all to own anything with airforks or separate function forks, or any of this gimmicky fork bs and I can't relate to any of the current MSRP's and the styling isn't really blowing my dress up on anything and I'm just really content with my 2011 KTM 250SX.

And even though I couldn't see myself realistically riding and maintaining an ALTA as my go-to bike........I have to admit that this is single handedly the most interesting bike to me in 2016. If I could ride any bike today, it would be the ALTA, no doubt in my mind. This thing has my interest more than any of the other manufacturers.
Stuntman949
12/1/2016 1:32pm
Thank you for the video. Very cool and very interesting indeed. Personally I ride and race with earplugs and I cant get over how calming that bike was. Just like an electric kart without tire squeal and the barrier slamming.
seth505
Fantasy
1048th
12/2/2016 9:29am
Thank you for the video. Very cool and very interesting indeed. Personally I ride and race with earplugs and I cant get over how calming that...
Thank you for the video. Very cool and very interesting indeed. Personally I ride and race with earplugs and I cant get over how calming that bike was. Just like an electric kart without tire squeal and the barrier slamming.
Funny you mention that. When I did road racing I wore ear plugs 100% of the time. When I go moto, I forget ear plugs 95% of the time.
It really is a different experience, I really want to try one in the woods/single track and just haul ass on trails without noise echoing off of everything, would be pretty cool.
Micahdogg
12/2/2016 10:09am
I would have to think the chain slap would drive you nuts after awhile. Gotta be some way to dampen that noise.
seth505
Fantasy
1048th
12/5/2016 7:54am Edited Date/Time 12/5/2016 5:42pm
Micahdogg wrote:
I would have to think the chain slap would drive you nuts after awhile. Gotta be some way to dampen that noise.
I honestly didn't even notice it much. I mostly hear the electric motor whine and the rear tire. It's crazy with no loud engine noises, hearing the tire so much I kept thinking it was flat or something but you just hear it gripping and tearing through dirt.

Just put up a trail riding video in the original post as well, it was super fun trail riding the thing!
Hman144
Fantasy
798th
12/13/2016 10:09am
Appreciate the insights. So cool to see this technology advancing.

Now if can just do something about those pajamas you're wearing....
seth505
Fantasy
1048th
12/13/2016 10:46am
Hman144 wrote:
Appreciate the insights. So cool to see this technology advancing.

Now if can just do something about those pajamas you're wearing....
Grinning Only other gear I had in my bag that day was tld KTM stuff haha
JWACK
12/16/2016 7:40pm
Thanks for the vids! How did it handle? It looked pretty dang good on the trail ride. I'm seriously considering one
mikec265
12/16/2016 9:14pm
JWACK wrote:
Thanks for the vids! How did it handle? It looked pretty dang good on the trail ride. I'm seriously considering one
What brand of bike does it feel like in the turns?
Is it comparable or close to anything?
seth505
Fantasy
1048th
12/18/2016 6:43pm
JWACK wrote:
mikec265 wrote:
That's a tough one as I ride 125 and 250 2-strokes, 250f once in a while and never 450s on dirt. It felt a little KTM-ish in the front since it has the same brakes and suspension and same/similar clamps. That said, it is different still. It's hard to explain without more seat time, but I can stand up through more corners (especially slow) on the electric bike. You aren't worrying about gear selection and RPM management, especially in tights stuff. As a result, you're just using it's torque (via throttle control) to yank you out of trouble and settle the bike through terrain.
On straights where you want to wheelie through chop, it feels like a regular mx bike with being able to lighten the front over whatever is coming at you. Again, with no need for RPM management through, just wick the throttle as needed and slightly change position on the bike.
kzizok
Fantasy
1859th
12/18/2016 7:32pm Edited Date/Time 12/18/2016 7:35pm
JWACK wrote:
mikec265 wrote:
seth505 wrote:
That's a tough one as I ride 125 and 250 2-strokes, 250f once in a while and never 450s on dirt. It felt a little KTM-ish...
That's a tough one as I ride 125 and 250 2-strokes, 250f once in a while and never 450s on dirt. It felt a little KTM-ish in the front since it has the same brakes and suspension and same/similar clamps. That said, it is different still. It's hard to explain without more seat time, but I can stand up through more corners (especially slow) on the electric bike. You aren't worrying about gear selection and RPM management, especially in tights stuff. As a result, you're just using it's torque (via throttle control) to yank you out of trouble and settle the bike through terrain.
On straights where you want to wheelie through chop, it feels like a regular mx bike with being able to lighten the front over whatever is coming at you. Again, with no need for RPM management through, just wick the throttle as needed and slightly change position on the bike.
I would imagine the lack of gyroscopic effect, that wants to pull you to the outside, probably has a lot to do with being easier to stand in turns.

In addition, a new style could emerge that would greatly reduce (or eliminate) the need of front brake dragging in ruts , etc.
seth505
Fantasy
1048th
12/19/2016 6:30am
kzizok wrote:
I would imagine the lack of gyroscopic effect, that wants to pull you to the outside, probably has a lot to do with being easier to...
I would imagine the lack of gyroscopic effect, that wants to pull you to the outside, probably has a lot to do with being easier to stand in turns.

In addition, a new style could emerge that would greatly reduce (or eliminate) the need of front brake dragging in ruts , etc.
Ya man, it's pretty interesting to see the slight changes in riding style as you get more comfy on the thing.
Like on my 125 where I'm shifting all the time, I tend to sit down in a bunch of spots on the track so I can get more positive shifts or grip properly while fanning the clutch and you're never worrying about that on the electric.
Mouse153
12/19/2016 11:54am
Thanks for the insight and videos. I'm extremely interested in one of these and would love to ride one.
kzizok
Fantasy
1859th
12/19/2016 6:26pm Edited Date/Time 12/19/2016 6:41pm
kzizok wrote:
I would imagine the lack of gyroscopic effect, that wants to pull you to the outside, probably has a lot to do with being easier to...

seth505 wrote:
Ya man, it's pretty interesting to see the slight changes in riding style as you get more comfy on the thing. Like on my 125 where...
Ya man, it's pretty interesting to see the slight changes in riding style as you get more comfy on the thing.
Like on my 125 where I'm shifting all the time, I tend to sit down in a bunch of spots on the track so I can get more positive shifts or grip properly while fanning the clutch and you're never worrying about that on the electric.
Yeah, thats a good one too. Never crossed my mind. Regardless where electric goes, seeing changes like riding styles happen in real time (and the ability to deduce why) is a pretty cool thing.

One thing you said, has stuck with me. It was in reference to the comment about liking the complexity of riding (I think we all do, but may not know it). Ive never really thought about it but that makes total sense. We all involved with this sport because we enjoy the rush. That rush is fight or flight, literally, through the release of epinephrine (Adreneline). So that can be a good thing or bad thing. The complexity of unconcious actions can "quiet" the mind to allow it to make the surge of epi work for us. In other words, your mind has something productive to concentrate on which allows us to harness the good side if the surge. Kind of like if you see people with tourettes and how it goes away when riding, etc.

Your point makes total sense and is valid. So, I think learning new repetitive tasks would be very important to continue to harness the epi flow to your (or anyone's) advantage. I don't know what the new tasks are, but standing more in turns shows that different things will emerge.

I know, Im a nerd but fascinated by this whole thing.
fogmoto
12/19/2016 7:15pm
what is the rating on that motor? and what class do you think it can be run in? gonna be interesting how the ama sorts this out, because its coming.
JWACK
12/19/2016 8:39pm
JWACK wrote:
mikec265 wrote:
seth505 wrote:
That's a tough one as I ride 125 and 250 2-strokes, 250f once in a while and never 450s on dirt. It felt a little KTM-ish...
As long as it doesn't have a pushy front end I can Live with it. I'm leaning twards an electric because I just got a small bit of land that I can ride out of my garage and over to. BUT it is surrounded by houses nearby. I haven't ridden on it quite yet but I'm thinking an electric would keep the neighbors on my good side.

Post a reply to: Rode an Alta today

The Latest