'18 KTM 250SX or YZ250 Which one to drag home?

Fearo
10/4/2017 2:38am
walent215 wrote:
Curious if the 17 and 18 ktm 250sx are basically the same or has there been any revisions? Tia.
seth505 wrote:
Basically the same bike
There are a few small changes, I believe to the suspension and mapping.

However, KTM is known for changing things even when they say they didn't. This is usually small stuff such as upgraded materials for a certain part, easier access, fixing small flaws, etc.

My 2016 250 was supposedly the exact same bike as the 2015 (KTM even publicly stated it on their website) but there were at least 5 things I came across that were different.
dedi684
10/4/2017 4:40am
dedi684 wrote:
A simple observation. I notice a large number of yz 250's racing especially in the b classes and I also race one as well and have...
A simple observation. I notice a large number of yz 250's racing especially in the b classes and I also race one as well and have for many years. It appears to me the yz is more popular although I believe ktm is the better choice.
seth505 wrote:
The yz does look the same for 13 years in a row tho, other than if you notice the newer airbox.
Yes, although I've had a few blue ones a white one and a yellow one. Lol
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
10/4/2017 7:04am
dedi684 wrote:
A simple observation. I notice a large number of yz 250's racing especially in the b classes and I also race one as well and have...
A simple observation. I notice a large number of yz 250's racing especially in the b classes and I also race one as well and have for many years. It appears to me the yz is more popular although I believe ktm is the better choice.
seth505 wrote:
The yz does look the same for 13 years in a row tho, other than if you notice the newer airbox.
dedi684 wrote:
Haha, ya I had one that was blue, then white, then black/white, then blue Grinning
lumpy790
10/4/2017 7:09am
I would be thinking about the KTM 300 fuel injection model and changing the suspension as needed!

The Shop

pete24
10/4/2017 7:22am
seth505 wrote:
dedi684 wrote:
seth505 wrote:
Haha, ya I had one that was blue, then white, then black/white, then blue Grinning
ha
ive had all colors of YZs, and the aluminum tank one also, i dont care what anyone says a YZ is the bike to get

BobPA
10/4/2017 7:26am
pete24 wrote:
ha ive had all colors of YZs, and the aluminum tank one also, i dont care what anyone says a YZ is the bike to get...
ha
ive had all colors of YZs, and the aluminum tank one also, i dont care what anyone says a YZ is the bike to get

Incorrect answer. The YZ was the bike to get until the most recen KTM design came out. It has no been surpassed in every way.
erik_94COBRA
10/4/2017 7:32am
If buying new, I would buy the KTM (or Husky). I bought a Husky and am very happy with it.

If buying used, don't bother - just upgrade your existing bike. Still a very good one and was runner up for me.
H4L
10/4/2017 8:16am
jeffro667 wrote:
There is a ktm demo day at crow canyon in urichsville ohio on October 21st, ride them all, and see what you think.
Sound advice. I'm in the minority & didn't jive with the bike. Got to ride a 17 model & I didn't like the handling / feel of the KTM. I've also ridden a 14 250 sxf & 16.5 450sxf FE & don't see the hype on the orange bikes. They do feel different to the 4 major Japanese brands & maybe it's an acquired taste for some.
If these are your only 2 options than my vote would go to the YZ model.
wfo4ever
10/4/2017 11:36am
Yamaha YZ-250 is the best all around bike and very reliable. All KTM's and just feel strange to me and I have rode the orange and also the white KTM's too. My Yamaha YZ-125 is a blast also!!!
cody41
10/11/2017 7:00am
Yamaha. Better suspension, better durability, better shroud area, more bottom end, and less expensive. "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
Whymee
10/11/2017 10:04am
Good news. I sold the YZ250F.

Still waiting on the KTM ride day the 21 & 22. That is when the final decision will be made.

A poster suggested calling TrinityGFX about some graphics. I did make that call. Seems like it can happen with the correct logo with the blue plastic.

One thing that concerns me is if I do buy a 18 250SX it has the orange frame. If I add the blue plastics I think there will be too much orange. Actually If I do go this route, I probably will dump the orange front plate & fender for white. I am also thinking of altering this graphic kit to exclude any orange.

The problem with that is that orange frame on the 18. I would hate to strip it down & change the color of the frame to black or white. Yes it is possible. Or I could find a new 17 & have the black frame already stock.

Plenty to think about.

For you KTM purists, sorry, I just do not like a pumpkin colored machine. Try not to flame me too bad!

Anyway, it all is a moot point until I sling a leg over one.
JMX82
10/11/2017 11:08am
Why don't you just get Husqvarna? It's essentially the same bike.

I have tried some Yamaha's and although they have great suspension KTM's corners better and has better motors
Motofinne
10/11/2017 11:13am Edited Date/Time 10/11/2017 11:13am
Yeah get a Husqvarna if you don't like orange, the Husqvarnas are also in my mind the best looking stock bikes out there!

dedi684
10/11/2017 11:30am
Whymee wrote:
Good news. I sold the YZ250F. Still waiting on the KTM ride day the 21 & 22. That is when the final decision will be made...
Good news. I sold the YZ250F.

Still waiting on the KTM ride day the 21 & 22. That is when the final decision will be made.

A poster suggested calling TrinityGFX about some graphics. I did make that call. Seems like it can happen with the correct logo with the blue plastic.

One thing that concerns me is if I do buy a 18 250SX it has the orange frame. If I add the blue plastics I think there will be too much orange. Actually If I do go this route, I probably will dump the orange front plate & fender for white. I am also thinking of altering this graphic kit to exclude any orange.

The problem with that is that orange frame on the 18. I would hate to strip it down & change the color of the frame to black or white. Yes it is possible. Or I could find a new 17 & have the black frame already stock.

Plenty to think about.

For you KTM purists, sorry, I just do not like a pumpkin colored machine. Try not to flame me too bad!

Anyway, it all is a moot point until I sling a leg over one.
You'll get the $500 in free ktm accessories card at the ride day
Whymee
10/11/2017 11:46am
JMX82 wrote:
Why don't you just get Husqvarna? It's essentially the same bike. I have tried some Yamaha's and although they have great suspension KTM's corners better and...

I have tried some Yamaha's and although they have great suspension KTM's corners better and has better motors
AS I stated in my first post I do not have a Husky dealer remotely close to me. Husky is out. Sad
mxb2
10/11/2017 12:14pm
JMX82 wrote:
Why don't you just get Husqvarna? It's essentially the same bike. I have tried some Yamaha's and although they have great suspension KTM's corners better and...

Whymee wrote:
AS I stated in my first post I do not have a Husky dealer remotely close to me. Husky is out. Sad
Rydersville?
Whymee
10/11/2017 12:29pm
JMX82 wrote:

Whymee wrote:
mxb2 wrote:
Rydersville?
That shop is over 2.5 hrs away from me.

My local dealer carries the big 4 plus KTM.

Morgantown Powersports http://www.morgantownpowersports.com/

He treats me right.

I trust him.

I get a big slice off of parts.

Like I say, Husky is OUT. Sowwy....
mxb2
10/11/2017 12:38pm
Whymee wrote:
mxb2 wrote:
Rydersville?
Whymee wrote:
That shop is over 2.5 hrs away from me. My local dealer carries the big 4 plus KTM. Morgantown Powersports http://www.morgantownpowersports.com/ He treats me right. I...
That shop is over 2.5 hrs away from me.

My local dealer carries the big 4 plus KTM.

Morgantown Powersports http://www.morgantownpowersports.com/

He treats me right.

I trust him.

I get a big slice off of parts.

Like I say, Husky is OUT. Sowwy....
10-4
brimx153
10/11/2017 2:58pm
Motofinne wrote:
I understand the hesitation of buying a bike you've never ridden but believe me, like Fearo says. The 2018 SX 250 is maybe the best bike...
I understand the hesitation of buying a bike you've never ridden but believe me, like Fearo says. The 2018 SX 250 is maybe the best bike i have ever been on. This bike is one of very few i would recommend to someone without even trying it before buying it.

I can't see how anyone wouldn't be happy after buying one!
do you man best two stroke bike ever , because imo every brand 4 stroke are just plain better bike s .i d go as far as saying the 4 stroke ktms are a milion time s better bike s. i agree the KTM 250SX is better than YZ250 , way more bottom end .But i also know that YZ250 is a good port job away from being as good as the ktm plus has sss suspension .
Whymee
10/11/2017 4:16pm
brimx153 wrote:
do you man best two stroke bike ever , because imo every brand 4 stroke are just plain better bike s .i d go as far...
do you man best two stroke bike ever , because imo every brand 4 stroke are just plain better bike s .i d go as far as saying the 4 stroke ktms are a milion time s better bike s. i agree the KTM 250SX is better than YZ250 , way more bottom end .But i also know that YZ250 is a good port job away from being as good as the ktm plus has sss suspension .
I get what you are saying brimx153. I really do.

You have to understand that there is a segment out there (myself included) that either do not want a four stroke, or are not comfortable on them, or cannot afford them, mainly upkeep. I personally am not particularly fond of the 4 stroke's that are being shoved down our throat from the big four. I do not take kindly to that. That is the reason I have kept my 07 250 2T so long. If Yamaha would update the YZ250 I would purchase it in a heartbeat, along with thousands of others. From what I gather from the comments above, KTM's are not for everyone. At this time I do not know if I am "everyone" or not. I will find that out at the end of the month at KTM's ride day.

I tried the four stroke thing twice with new Yamaha's. It is not for me. Period. I am over it. And it is not for a certain segment of the dirt riding world. Get over it. This is America, we have diversity. Thank your (our) lucky stars for that!

If things went a little differently years ago, we would all be riding Czechoslovakian CZ's and Russian Ural's. Wouldn't that be a hoot!

10/11/2017 4:34pm
Whymee your not alone I'm at the point where your at and I'm sick of the 4 strokes are better clowns too. If Yamaha dropped new smokers they'd sell out I'd be in line for a new 125 n 250 so fast. 90% of the guys on here are no faster on thier new 4 joke then they was 15 years ago on a 250 smoker.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
10/11/2017 4:41pm
Whymee your not alone I'm at the point where your at and I'm sick of the 4 strokes are better clowns too. If Yamaha dropped new...
Whymee your not alone I'm at the point where your at and I'm sick of the 4 strokes are better clowns too. If Yamaha dropped new smokers they'd sell out I'd be in line for a new 125 n 250 so fast. 90% of the guys on here are no faster on thier new 4 joke then they was 15 years ago on a 250 smoker.
LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing
15 years ago I was faster on a 125 than I would be on any 450 today!!!!
BobPA
10/11/2017 5:50pm
Whymee your not alone I'm at the point where your at and I'm sick of the 4 strokes are better clowns too. If Yamaha dropped new...
Falcon wrote:
LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing
15 years ago I was faster on a 125 than I would be on any 450 today!!!!
Same here. But I am currently faster on my 450 compared to my 125 (cough 144).
Fearo
10/12/2017 1:58am Edited Date/Time 10/12/2017 1:59am
Motofinne wrote:
I understand the hesitation of buying a bike you've never ridden but believe me, like Fearo says. The 2018 SX 250 is maybe the best bike...
I understand the hesitation of buying a bike you've never ridden but believe me, like Fearo says. The 2018 SX 250 is maybe the best bike i have ever been on. This bike is one of very few i would recommend to someone without even trying it before buying it.

I can't see how anyone wouldn't be happy after buying one!
brimx153 wrote:
do you man best two stroke bike ever , because imo every brand 4 stroke are just plain better bike s .i d go as far...
Have you ridden both a 2017-18 KTM 250 and a Yamaha YZ 250 in recent times?

I rode a full-race YZ250 about a month ago and I own a 2018 SX 250, and I have to say I completely disagree with the idea that the YZ is a 'port job' away from being on the KTM's level. There's no doubt you can make the YZ pump out the HP numbers, but imo there's not a snowball's chance in hell you will ever get the the broadness of the powerband and low-rpm torque on the YZ as you would on a bone stock KTM.

And regarding the SSS suspension..Although I've never experienced it, I can believe that the SSS stuff is the king, but let me tell you right now, if that's true, than the curent KTM stuff is heir to the throne.

I'm no fanboy either. If a YZ cost 5K new then I'd probably own one, but they don't. Ove here they cost the same as a KTM and that is plain rediculous.
tempura
10/12/2017 3:33am
Get the KTM, and don't look back.
Yeah, SSS is good, but overrated. They did the right thing, sticking with the SSS while all the others went to air forks..now most of them are doing a U-turn.
Saying that, KTM's version of the air fork are pretty good.
You'll never get a YZ to turn like the KTM's.
Brakes are amazing on the KTM.
Plus, you're buying a bike that's had constant R&D.
Whymee
10/12/2017 7:25am
Right now I am leaning to the KTM. That being said, I have not rode it yet. Will do at the end of the month.

Thanks for the comments guys. It has helped tremendously trying to figure out what to purchase!

Blue Skies,

Stan
10/12/2017 10:50am
The last 250sx I rode was a 2010 model the last of the pds. Compared to my 06 yz 250 power felt similar the ktm had the pro circuit pipe and revalved suspension. I couldn't totally like it friend had the forks trail bike soft and he was much faster then me left me wondering how he could ride it like that.
Madmax31
Fantasy
91st
10/12/2017 11:19am
Not sure of your size, but I rode a 17 yz250 last year and felt like I was on a mini bike. The ergos are not for a bigger guy at all. I'm 6'3" by the way.
Whymee
10/12/2017 11:33am
Madmax31 wrote:
Not sure of your size, but I rode a 17 yz250 last year and felt like I was on a mini bike. The ergos are not...
Not sure of your size, but I rode a 17 yz250 last year and felt like I was on a mini bike. The ergos are not for a bigger guy at all. I'm 6'3" by the way.
I am 5' 6" and 170 lbs. I haven't found a cramped cockpit yet. Except for the pit bike I just bought...

Post a reply to: '18 KTM 250SX or YZ250 Which one to drag home?

The Latest