40 year old mxer's?

Digger437
4/16/2008 3:08pm
Turned 40 last fall, been racing riding since 1975. Here is a photo from last Sunday. I can still make most kids go home crying to momma. haha
Friday
4/16/2008 3:17pm
There are 2 brothers named Ron and Charlie Hawk.I new them as vet racers when I was a kid in Ohio in the late 70's.I've since seen them both racing when I lived in Fla. and now that I'm in Cali. Saw them last here at Glen Helen 3 years or so ago.Still racing.They must be 100!Hope they are still kickin'.
Slow ~ Pro
4/16/2008 3:33pm
The first time I raced at Perris raceway, it was a TT track !
drmarkr
4/16/2008 3:53pm
Are there any guys out there in their forty's that still race? Or even just ride moto-cross bikes? I'm 44 and would love to get a...
Are there any guys out there in their forty's that still race? Or even just ride moto-cross bikes? I'm 44 and would love to get a bike. Am I out of my mind?
I quit racing back in 1984 and have'nt been on a bike since.
What's your input?
Thanks, Mark
50 here, and I still race a bit. I quit in '78 and restarted in '03. Been crazy at it since....keeps me young.

44? You're a mere youngster.

MR

The Shop

Slow ~ Pro
4/16/2008 3:57pm
Chuck Minert 75, or 76, races REM all the time, and he will be at Glen Helen this week end racing.
70sSuperstar
4/16/2008 4:11pm
turned 50 this past december. still race regularly.
jock
Fantasy
1st
4/16/2008 4:17pm
40 here. Gave it away in 92, got back into last year.
I ride almost every weekend and plan to do a few races later in the year.

Mark, just go buy a bike and enjoy yourself. I am pissed with myself for giving it away for so long.
15 years of enjoyment lost forever.
Slow ~ Pro
4/16/2008 4:22pm
Moe rocks ! I see him turn soil at Glen Helen from time, to time !
motogeezer
4/16/2008 4:27pm
chadwik74 wrote:
WTF....Is this GeezerDrive? HahahaWhistling
I resemble that remark!

I've been 17 for thirty years.

Still ridin'!
Tiki
Fantasy
1774th
4/16/2008 4:36pm
Moe and I traded plastic at Mammoth last year. 42 still race.
volcati
4/16/2008 4:50pm
Are there any guys out there in their forty's that still race? Or even just ride moto-cross bikes? I'm 44 and would love to get a...
Are there any guys out there in their forty's that still race? Or even just ride moto-cross bikes? I'm 44 and would love to get a bike. Am I out of my mind?
I quit racing back in 1984 and have'nt been on a bike since.
What's your input?
Thanks, Mark
38 and still ride...not near as good and my balls are smaller.
bigmaico
4/16/2008 6:10pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 6:38pm
Heck Ya there's a bunch of over 40's that race here in Texas!

I was at a Vintage race last Sunday racing my Maico, I'll be 52 tomorrow & my friend Tom was racing in the same class as me & he's going to be 70! & he still hauls the mail.

I'd say go for & enjoy life while you can.
bigmaico
4/16/2008 6:14pm
Slow ~ Pro wrote:
Chuck Minert 75, or 76, races REM all the time, and he will be at Glen Helen this week end racing.
Ya But old Chuck has always been a animal!

Any one that could hand start an old BSA is a tought guy in my book
Racer92
4/16/2008 6:24pm
I was at a Vintage race last Sunday racing my Maico, I'll be 52 tomorrow

Howard, you have a b-day tomorrow?

Trust me, BigMaico gets around just fine on his Maico - not to mention that 520 KTM monster.
indyvet
4/16/2008 8:26pm
my first race was in 1977, i have raced on and off since, im now 48 , mostly ride practice days ,race 4 or 5 yimes a year, last injury ; seperated shoulder and big hematoma on upper thigh ,
swtwtwtw
4/16/2008 9:29pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 6:38pm
Slow ~ Pro wrote:
me too! perris raceway--then moved on to 395 raceway for 1/2 mile and tt.

i am 46 and ride somewhat often---last year only 3 races but since 40 i average about 12 races a year. it is still a gas, and here in socal at REM-Glen helen there is more than enough competition---last w/e 50+ Chuck Sun came out and beat MXA's Willy Musgrave.

go for it....
malibuman
4/16/2008 10:06pm
I am 52 and started back a year ago riding after a 26 yr lay off. Used to race a bit in the younger days and loved trail riding. I currently have 2003 KDX 220 and just bought 98 KX 250 to race . I am partial to the good old two smoke! It is just like riding a bicycle only the tracks are a bit tougher with all these supercross style jumps, etc. Hard to get back into the big jumps cause we still got to go to work on Monday. Wish they would design some old style tracks for us old guys. I just roll over the crazy stuff. Anyway it's a blast you can do year round.
darmstadter
4/16/2008 10:15pm
OK OK OK OK!!!!
Hey, I think I actually started something here.
I did'nt realize there was that many guys and I'm sure even a few gals out there that raced at our age.
Well now I'm off to look for a bike. I won't be buying a brand new bike because of a current boat payment I have for the next few years but I'm sure I can find a nice 125 or 250 in my price range. I don't no much about the 4 strokes so I'll stay with the 2 stroke.
I'll keep you all informed on how everything is going. I live in Omaha, Nebraska at the current time and I grew up racing in Illinois and Florida.
Thanks for all the advise.
Mark
Slow ~ Pro
4/16/2008 10:16pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 6:38pm
Slow ~ Pro wrote:
swtwtwtw wrote:
me too! perris raceway--then moved on to 395 raceway for 1/2 mile and tt. i am 46 and ride somewhat often---last year only 3 races but...
me too! perris raceway--then moved on to 395 raceway for 1/2 mile and tt.

i am 46 and ride somewhat often---last year only 3 races but since 40 i average about 12 races a year. it is still a gas, and here in socal at REM-Glen helen there is more than enough competition---last w/e 50+ Chuck Sun came out and beat MXA's Willy Musgrave.

go for it....
I witness the Rising "Sun" beat Willy, Saturday. But that's because Musgrave is a has been...chasin' a dream !

drmarkr
4/16/2008 11:30pm
Whoa!! Chuck beat Willy??? What happened there?

Chuck's riding good, but I didn't think he was that fast when I raced against him at Vet Nats last Nov?

MR
gomxracing
4/17/2008 3:54am
drmarkr wrote:
Whoa!! Chuck beat Willy??? What happened there? Chuck's riding good, but I didn't think he was that fast when I raced against him at Vet Nats...
Whoa!! Chuck beat Willy??? What happened there?

Chuck's riding good, but I didn't think he was that fast when I raced against him at Vet Nats last Nov?

MR
I have been known to ride once in a while Smile 45 years young.
...i would like to more often(ride)

..work.......... is cutting into my free time Smile

chris
kaw rider9
4/17/2008 5:16am
OK OK OK OK!!!! Hey, I think I actually started something here. I did'nt realize there was that many guys and I'm sure even a few...
OK OK OK OK!!!!
I did'nt realize there was that many guys and I'm sure even a few gals out there that raced at our age.
Well now I'm off to look for a bike. I won't be buying a brand new bike because of a current boat payment I have for the next few years but I'm sure I can find a nice 125 or 250 in my price range. I don't no much about the 4 strokes so I'll stay with the 2 stroke.
I'll keep you all informed on how everything is going. I live in Omaha, Nebraska at the current time and I grew up racing in Illinois and Florida.
Mark
Well it's a new day.......... What did ya get? Kawasaki KX250? Show some pics..Laughing
Highsider
4/17/2008 5:17am
OK OK OK OK!!!! Hey, I think I actually started something here. I did'nt realize there was that many guys and I'm sure even a few...
OK OK OK OK!!!!
Mark
Some of your fast neighbors like my track. Come over and race.

Jimi J
WhKnuckle
4/17/2008 9:07am
I'm 53, rarely race any more but I ride every week.
wpcjs
4/17/2008 11:08am
OK OK OK OK!!!!
Mark
Where did you race in Il?
motokid40
4/17/2008 11:10am
Just ride anything you'll be happy
teggers
4/17/2008 11:50am
Mark

Some advice......

I have seen lots of riders come back at older ages....some were ex-pros that want to relive the past....I know that feeling. I came back at 30 yrs old after a 13 year lay off. I am currently 46 and ride at least once a week and race all the national mx contingency paying races near Central Florida.

Your biggest hurdle is taking it slowly. Your mind remembers the past and that you used to be able to do things that you simply cannot do - and the cost -reward is pretty steep as you get older. The recovery for a broken bone is twice as long at 45 than 15. Give yourself 2 years to be up to riding at your best/fastest/fittest. Also, as I got older, I realized how important a different type of fitness and workout schedule. Steching and flexibility are incredibly important and can minimize injury.

You have decided that you are going to get a smoker because of a boat payment responsibility and your lack of knowledge of 4S maintenance. Please rethink this strategy. I switched from smokers to 4S after my FIRST ride on a YZ400 - that day. The 4S was so much safer for me that I couldn't imagine ever going back. Do to contingency matters, I went back to a smoker 3 years ago and it was the worst mistake I ever made. Although I ENJOYED riding the smoker - no lie - I came out of the whole smoker chapter basically healthy, I realized that for me - a then 43 year old racing Vet, the 4S is the safest road for me. Everything is smoother and happens more slowly (in my brain) on a 4S. It gives me much more time to make quality decisions on the track. The smoother power gives me the comfort I need on jump faces and hard pack situations....etc. I hope you can test ride and compare. The extra $$$ for a 4S is thousands less than a prolonged hospital stay.

And lastly, make sure your insurance will pay for a trip to said hospital. If you ride long enough, you will use it. Also, some insurance will pay for practice mx, but not pay for a santioned/organized race.

Good luck and have some fun. see you at the track!
Highsider
4/17/2008 11:54am Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 6:38pm
teggers wrote:
[b]Hey, I think I actually started something here. I did'nt realize there was that many guys and I'm sure even a few gals out there that...
Mark

Some advice......

I have seen lots of riders come back at older ages....some were ex-pros that want to relive the past....I know that feeling. I came back at 30 yrs old after a 13 year lay off. I am currently 46 and ride at least once a week and race all the national mx contingency paying races near Central Florida.

Your biggest hurdle is taking it slowly. Your mind remembers the past and that you used to be able to do things that you simply cannot do - and the cost -reward is pretty steep as you get older. The recovery for a broken bone is twice as long at 45 than 15. Give yourself 2 years to be up to riding at your best/fastest/fittest. Also, as I got older, I realized how important a different type of fitness and workout schedule. Steching and flexibility are incredibly important and can minimize injury.

You have decided that you are going to get a smoker because of a boat payment responsibility and your lack of knowledge of 4S maintenance. Please rethink this strategy. I switched from smokers to 4S after my FIRST ride on a YZ400 - that day. The 4S was so much safer for me that I couldn't imagine ever going back. Do to contingency matters, I went back to a smoker 3 years ago and it was the worst mistake I ever made. Although I ENJOYED riding the smoker - no lie - I came out of the whole smoker chapter basically healthy, I realized that for me - a then 43 year old racing Vet, the 4S is the safest road for me. Everything is smoother and happens more slowly (in my brain) on a 4S. It gives me much more time to make quality decisions on the track. The smoother power gives me the comfort I need on jump faces and hard pack situations....etc. I hope you can test ride and compare. The extra $$$ for a 4S is thousands less than a prolonged hospital stay.

And lastly, make sure your insurance will pay for a trip to said hospital. If you ride long enough, you will use it. Also, some insurance will pay for practice mx, but not pay for a santioned/organized race.

Good luck and have some fun. see you at the track!
Teggers, you are right on. Thanks for posting what I was thinking!

Jimi J
drmarkr
4/17/2008 1:15pm
Good advice from Eggers....

Here's another piece. When you do start racing, find events that have Vet classes, and ride those. Resist the temptation to get down and dirty with the kids. Since I picked it back up again I've only had a handful of get offs, but every one has been while racing down in classes with less skilled riders, and due to the mistakes of other riders.

The over 40 class can be very competitive, but for the most part they are acutely aware of the pain of crashing. Something the 20 y/o's just haven't figured out yet.

MR
YAKMX
4/17/2008 2:17pm
52 yrs.young here.Still ride weekly,race an occasional vintage event from time to time. Just got back from a 4 day ride down at the Hatfield/McCoy trail system in WV.Averaging 50 plus miles daily. Going to ride Baja in October. This was a gift from the Western New York Motocross Association for 20 yrs. of loyal motocross announcing .I am a lucky guy.
I never ride over my head.I always know I have to make it to work on Monday to afford all this fun. Forgot to mention trials riding,another tool in my training.

Also ride with my good friend .He is 71 and is always the first to start his bike and the last to shut it down!!

Post a reply to: 40 year old mxer's?

The Latest