Another (better) View of James' Crash

ocscottie
Edited Date/Time 9/19/2021 9:38pm
|
pacetruckdrvr
6/3/2012 9:18am
Wow that sucks bad, you can see him check his wrist right away, he knows somethings wrong.
jwhitemx15
6/3/2012 9:19am
WOW!!! Great catch! Where the idiot who ran out on the track was standing... there's no way he couldn't see the leaders were coming around.

What an idiot. Hope James comes back next round.
Ing
6/3/2012 9:19am
Much better perspective. Thanks for the post.

The Shop

DL
6/3/2012 9:20am
He tried to save that front end for a week..... I still think the photog may have distracted James but was not at fault.
BigDaddyG
Man.... I don't know. It sure seems like he should have been able to just keep going, like he had plenty of room. But at the speeds these guys go, to come over that jump and see someone there would really mess with your concentration. Messed up deal all the way around. Hope he comes back next weekend and all is well. It was nice to see an happy James out there again.
mxmasta
Fantasy
814th
That explains the whole sad deal a lot better than that helmet cam view!
6/3/2012 9:21am
even shows the UTV i was talking about in the other thread at the end of the video. constantly driving around the edge of the track.
Sully22
6/3/2012 9:25am Edited Date/Time 6/3/2012 9:28am
the guy running on the track that close to the leaders was kinda dumb, maybe should have waited, but it still seems like james could have gone anywhere he wanted (inside or outside line) because the guy was off the track when james landed. the argument that he couldn't have gone to the inside because he would have hit the guy or the guy was blocking that line just doesn't really hold water with me. was it a distraction? maybe. are there distractions in racing? yes, all over. was it dumb what that guy did? yes. was james crashing his fault? i don't think so.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
6/3/2012 9:26am
That's about as good a look as you'll get.

Okay, for the record, I'd crossed the track a lap earlier, and was shooting here, along with Jake Klingensmith, who shoots for Rockstar and Yoshimura, among others.

You don't get this shot without crossing the track.

ns503
6/3/2012 9:31am
Kind of looks like he heads for the outside of the turn as soon as he lands - he likely wasn't planning on doing that before seeing the guy on the track. After that I think he was just trying to ride it out.

That part of the whole thing is still likely pretty open for debate, but one thing seems even more crystal clear - that guy was a complete idiot for heading across the track like that, on the down side of a blind jump, with the whole pack approaching the takeoff.

The whole episode sucks big time.
mattbmx63
6/3/2012 9:31am
Might have distracted him, but going into the ruts his back end kicks out and that seems to be where it all goes wrong
jwhitemx15
6/3/2012 9:32am
Nice shot GuyB! Just curious... what lens are you using? I just picked up the Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 OS to shoot my boys racing and absolutely love it! Took it to the LL Area Qualifier and got some great shots with it.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
6/3/2012 9:35am
GuyB, did you leave this behind?[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2012/06/03/IMG_4390_310892.JPG[/img] Or this? [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2012/06/03/IMG_4391_365063.JPG[/img]
GuyB, did you leave this behind?
Or this?

No, but if that's the downhill from the top part of the track, it looks like it got hit and tossed onto the track more than once. I pulled if off there in the second 450 moto. In that case, the cables were still attached, and I could pull it off the track without having to step on to it. The piece in the lower photo is a protective pad for the camera in the upper part.

This was after I'd pulled a haybale off the edge of the track that some spectators pointed out to me. Riders had hit it a couple times, pulling it onto the track.
6/3/2012 9:35am Edited Date/Time 6/3/2012 9:36am
GuyB, did you leave this behind?[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2012/06/03/IMG_4390_310892.JPG[/img] Or this? [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2012/06/03/IMG_4391_365063.JPG[/img]
GuyB, did you leave this behind?
Or this?

I was standing on the fence right there when that happened. Same spot where the mystery man crossed the track. Funny that no one crashed because of that stuff all over the track? Honestly, I didn't even notice the guy crossing the track before bubba wadded it up in the next corner. I don't think anyone there really did...or at least no one was talking about it. Bad luck.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
6/3/2012 9:36am
jwhitemx15 wrote:
Nice shot GuyB! Just curious... what lens are you using? I just picked up the Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 OS to shoot my boys racing and absolutely...
Nice shot GuyB! Just curious... what lens are you using? I just picked up the Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 OS to shoot my boys racing and absolutely love it! Took it to the LL Area Qualifier and got some great shots with it.
I was using a Canon 70-200 2.8.
6/3/2012 9:38am
mattbmx63 wrote:
Might have distracted him, but going into the ruts his back end kicks out and that seems to be where it all goes wrong
Yep. Overwatered downhill with 78 other tires going down it before he gets to it again. It's dirt, it moves and looking at the helmet cam he chose a rut that wasn't straight. That's why he cross rutted. He chose that side of the track before he jumped and saw the guy. Might have had 3-4 ruts to choose from. Chose the wrong one obviously.
6/3/2012 9:39am
As for the discussion of line choice, that was a basically the same line he took through that corner every lap. The fast line was outside due to less braking bumps, squaring off in the sand and hitting the roller out of the corner about dead track middle.
Bill_Carroll
Fantasy
724th
6/3/2012 9:43am
"No, but if that's the downhill from the top part of the track, it looks like it got hit and tossed onto the track more than once. I pulled if off there in the second 450 moto. In that case, the cables were still attached, and I could pull it off the track without having to step on to it. The piece in the lower photo is a protective pad for the camera in the upper part.

This was after I'd pulled a haybale off the edge of the track that some spectators pointed out to me. Riders had hit it a couple times, pulling it onto the track."

Maybe it was you then that I yelled at to remove it from the track, didn't know I was yelling at a deva....Laughing
6/3/2012 9:44am
As for the discussion of line choice, that was a basically the same line he took through that corner every lap. The fast line was outside...
As for the discussion of line choice, that was a basically the same line he took through that corner every lap. The fast line was outside due to less braking bumps, squaring off in the sand and hitting the roller out of the corner about dead track middle.
I'm sure he wasn't the only one to fall through there all day... but when you go James speed falls happen much faster with less time to correct mistakes.
6/3/2012 9:47am
As for the discussion of line choice, that was a basically the same line he took through that corner every lap. The fast line was outside...
I'm sure he wasn't the only one to fall through there all day... but when you go James speed falls happen much faster with less time...
I'm sure he wasn't the only one to fall through there all day... but when you go James speed falls happen much faster with less time to correct mistakes.
That's why I picked that spot to spectate. With the width and line choices, t was a the location of a lot of passes.....and a lot of crashing too lol. Probably about 70% of the crashing was in that corner throughout the day. The rest for some reason seemed to be concentrated right below the announcer's tower in the right hander at the top of the starting hill.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
6/3/2012 9:49am
"No, but if that's the downhill from the top part of the track, it looks like it got hit and tossed onto the track more than...
"No, but if that's the downhill from the top part of the track, it looks like it got hit and tossed onto the track more than once. I pulled if off there in the second 450 moto. In that case, the cables were still attached, and I could pull it off the track without having to step on to it. The piece in the lower photo is a protective pad for the camera in the upper part.

This was after I'd pulled a haybale off the edge of the track that some spectators pointed out to me. Riders had hit it a couple times, pulling it onto the track."

Maybe it was you then that I yelled at to remove it from the track, didn't know I was yelling at a deva....Laughing
Deva...statingly handsome photographer? Wink
72kiteboarder
6/3/2012 9:52am
This view makes look like it was even less the crossers fault. James looked like he was going to take the line he took no matter what. The only thing the crosser may have done is made name lose his focus.
6/3/2012 9:55am
"No, but if that's the downhill from the top part of the track, it looks like it got hit and tossed onto the track more than...

GuyB wrote:
Deva...statingly handsome photographer? Wink
Not sure I'd use the word handsome, but I watched you pull that thing a ma bobber off the track by it's cord and thought that was a good move. What is that anyways?
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
6/3/2012 9:57am
Not sure I'd use the word handsome, but I watched you pull that thing a ma bobber off the track by it's cord and thought that...
Not sure I'd use the word handsome, but I watched you pull that thing a ma bobber off the track by it's cord and thought that was a good move. What is that anyways?
It's a trackside camera for TV coverage. Apparently their stuff crosses the track, too. Wink
6/3/2012 10:00am
I'm sure he wasn't the only one to fall through there all day... but when you go James speed falls happen much faster with less time...
That's why I picked that spot to spectate. With the width and line choices, t was a the location of a lot of passes.....and a lot...
That's why I picked that spot to spectate. With the width and line choices, t was a the location of a lot of passes.....and a lot of crashing too lol. Probably about 70% of the crashing was in that corner throughout the day. The rest for some reason seemed to be concentrated right below the announcer's tower in the right hander at the top of the starting hill.
...and there you go. It was a spot for crashing all day long. Not because of people crossing the track but because of line choice and insanely deep ruts and holes that switched back all over the place changing almost every lap. He got caught out plain and simple. If the guy crossing the track made him lose his focus THAT much how did he hold off Dungey for an hour and 10 minutes last week (Might be completely irrelevant but I feel like it is).
6/3/2012 10:00am Edited Date/Time 6/3/2012 10:05am
This view makes look like it was even less the crossers fault. James looked like he was going to take the line he took no matter...
This view makes look like it was even less the crossers fault. James looked like he was going to take the line he took no matter what. The only thing the crosser may have done is made name lose his focus.
LOL What this video doesn't show, is the shock factor that Stewart was instantly faced with by the spectator crossing the track while he was at speed and in the air, and aiming towards the inside of the track for the next turn. You can view it from all the angles you want, but the only one that will give you the rider's perspective is the gopro. This video does however confirm what a terrible choice the crosser made in crossing at that moment when it appears that if he had taken the time to look before crossing he would know where Stewart was at the time. Count how long it takes from the time Stewart leaves the jump and sees the crosser till the crosser clears the track. All this went down in less than 2 seconds, all at speed, and with the element of surprise.
DownSouth
6/3/2012 10:03am
That view makes it an even stranger crash. The guy obviously was a distraction but Stewart takes off from the jump on that path, lands without any issue, continues to go straight towards the outside line and then the bike takes a funny hop which starts the long slow cross rut and crash.
6/3/2012 10:07am Edited Date/Time 6/3/2012 10:08am
LOL What this video doesn't show, is the shock factor that Stewart was instantly faced with by the spectator crossing the track while he was at...
LOL What this video doesn't show, is the shock factor that Stewart was instantly faced with by the spectator crossing the track while he was at speed and in the air, and aiming towards the inside of the track for the next turn. You can view it from all the angles you want, but the only one that will give you the rider's perspective is the gopro. This video does however confirm what a terrible choice the crosser made in crossing at that moment when it appears that if he had taken the time to look before crossing he would know where Stewart was at the time. Count how long it takes from the time Stewart leaves the jump and sees the crosser till the crosser clears the track. All this went down in less than 2 seconds, all at speed, and with the element of surprise.
From my experience the faster something happens the LESS time you have to think about it. This has happened to me before on a track. Be it a 50 kid or a person. Once I'm past the point of possible destruction it's out of my mind because guess what? If it's now behind me it's not going to hit me. Just like going through an intersection, once you're parallel with something if it doesn't hit you it never will.

Post a reply to: Another (better) View of James' Crash

The Latest