Carbon fiber shock springs

indy_maico
2/20/2012 4:59am Edited Date/Time 2/20/2012 10:32am
First new idea in suspension since titanium. Hyperco is the #1 name in springs in car racing.

I wonder how these would work on a bike?

http://www.hypercoils.com/PDF/Hyperco_CarbonFiberBellowsSpring_datashee…
|
TX24
2/20/2012 6:16am
A suspension company owner told me, if they could get it figured out for bikes they might be cheaper than steel springs.
txmxer
2/20/2012 6:19am
that's cool. I wonder about durability. Will it last as long as traditional suspension?

Also, MX/SX suspension is some of the most demanding there is IMO. Is this technology a one trick pony or is it capability of doing all the things needed for MX/SX?
leighracer
2/20/2012 7:15am
Cool idea, the only problem i see is that the difference between the extended free height and the collapsed stack height would probably not be enough for a MX application because of the huge (By car racing standards) suspension travel. Indy and F1 cars have about 1"-2" of shock travel, then again with enough R&D I guess it could be made to work.
newmann
2/20/2012 7:25am
Look everyone, Patent Pending. Now all the rip off artists needs to get busy and bring this stuff to market before the patent kicks in. Maybe Leatt will get in the spring business since most people here think it's cool to rip someone elses ideas and designs. LMAO.

The Shop

robkinuk
2/20/2012 7:40am
Maico had this technology in 1970's in their bellville clutch springs. Weren't made out of carbon fibre though!
2/20/2012 7:49am
Much more control over consistency and flex with carbon than metal. Very interesting.
gotwings
2/20/2012 9:46am
They would have to be internal, though. One small pebble between the springs as they collapse and it would disintegrate.
bullpen58
2/20/2012 9:56am
Sounds like something we NEED!!! $400 shock spring that needs to be replaced every three motos? PERFECT money maker.
bullpen58
2/20/2012 9:58am
newmann wrote:
Look everyone, Patent Pending. Now all the rip off artists needs to get busy and bring this stuff to market before the patent kicks in. Maybe...
Look everyone, Patent Pending. Now all the rip off artists needs to get busy and bring this stuff to market before the patent kicks in. Maybe Leatt will get in the spring business since most people here think it's cool to rip someone elses ideas and designs. LMAO.
Did someone steal your idea for the "jump to conclusions mat" or something? Why are you so bitter?

Not hating, because like you, I'm as bitter and angry as they come. Life is too short to not be. I just don't wanna look back at my life years from now and think "I didn't hate enough".
newmann
2/20/2012 10:32am
newmann wrote:
Look everyone, Patent Pending. Now all the rip off artists needs to get busy and bring this stuff to market before the patent kicks in. Maybe...
bullpen58 wrote:
Did someone steal your idea for the "jump to conclusions mat" or something? Why are you so bitter? Not hating, because like you, I'm as bitter...
Did someone steal your idea for the "jump to conclusions mat" or something? Why are you so bitter?

Not hating, because like you, I'm as bitter and angry as they come. Life is too short to not be. I just don't wanna look back at my life years from now and think "I didn't hate enough".
You're still pissed off because some low life stole your old stickered up tool box. Actually, I'm still pissed off that some low life stole your old stickered up tool box.....Smile By the way, who's "hatin"? Life is good enough where I'm at.

Post a reply to: Carbon fiber shock springs

The Latest