Dirt Rider 450 shootout

JM485
10/5/2017 7:15pm
Isn't Dirt Rider the outfit that named the Cannondale, Bike of the Year?
kiwifan wrote:
so because they did that every shootout winner after that is wrong? Or just because a Honda won, it means its wrong?

Well, since you put it 'THAT' way!!! Oh wait,,,,, didn't they do the same thing when Yamaha first came out with the backwards cylinder head?
You're being very misleading in how you're presenting that and I think you know it. They often pick bikes of the year for other reasons than top performance (that's what shootouts are for), they are often the most unique, newest company, biggest innovation, etc. It's always given them a chance to recognize a company for something other than straight performance.
MBR
10/5/2017 8:45pm
brimx153 wrote:
i am thinking between a honda or yamaha , just wondering which has the most engine braking i rode a 17 honda and actually thought it...
i am thinking between a honda or yamaha , just wondering which has the most engine braking i rode a 17 honda and actually thought it had more engine braking than my 12 Suzuki 450. the Suzuki has a ton at first then nonthing at all when you are slowed down in the corner which i hate
I feel Yamaha has a lot more engine braking than rest of the bikes.
brimx153
10/6/2017 12:56am
MBR wrote:
I feel Yamaha has a lot more engine braking than rest of the bikes.
cool thanks a mill , one more question . say you put the yamaha in 2nd gear ,on flat ground and release the clutch and let it move on idle , is it the same as he honda which moves very slowly along or like the Suzuki which feels like it is going 3 times faster . and means it pushes me in to ruts to fast and cant just release the clutch and brakes ,and coast through rut s like i use to on m 07 crf450 .

ps , i am picking between a 16 honda and a 16 yamaha , i think the yamaha might suit me better as i am 110 kg fast enough B rider and the honda feels small to me , i ve only rode the 3 yamaha , but i liked i alot ,but that was 13 yrs ago , no one i know has one to get a spin on . i ve rode a 14 and 17 honda ,much rather the 17 ,

any input would be great
wreckitrandy
10/6/2017 5:49am
kiwifan wrote:
so because they did that every shootout winner after that is wrong? Or just because a Honda won, it means its wrong?

Well, since you put it 'THAT' way!!! Oh wait,,,,, didn't they do the same thing when Yamaha first came out with the backwards cylinder head?
JM485 wrote:
You're being very misleading in how you're presenting that and I think you know it. They often pick bikes of the year for other reasons than...
You're being very misleading in how you're presenting that and I think you know it. They often pick bikes of the year for other reasons than top performance (that's what shootouts are for), they are often the most unique, newest company, biggest innovation, etc. It's always given them a chance to recognize a company for something other than straight performance.
Moi? Misleading? Trust me, after I rode a Cannondale, not a soul on this earth bought one because I called it anything other than what it was.

I've not ridden any of the new bikes. The Honda might well be the best one by far. If things change and I get in the market for a new bike, it might be the one. But if so, it certainly won't be because Dirt Rider recommended it.
https://youtu.be/aUpDlpJgrBA

The Shop

10/6/2017 7:00am
gsxr6 wrote:
Bam. Question answered. Electric won't truly take over until the range, weight and hp line up with the 450 competition. What's sustainable top.speed on the Alta...
Bam. Question answered. Electric won't truly take over until the range, weight and hp line up with the 450 competition. What's sustainable top.speed on the Alta? 60 65 with stock gearing?looking at dyno curves it looks super flat after 55mph . Is that a huge signoff feeling in the top of the speed range? Cuz a 450 will pull hard to 80, and pass 90 if you dare with stock gearing. So the alta would get destroyed in an offroad shootout as.well.....an esp any type of racing with long straights ala hare and hound or desert style terrain.
colintrax wrote:
Hahaha what?? 90?? Come on dude. Most moto bikes top out around 70. The alta does 65. It's not intended to compete with off road bikes...
Hahaha what?? 90?? Come on dude. Most moto bikes top out around 70. The alta does 65. It's not intended to compete with off road bikes because it's not an off road bike, it's a motocross bike.
Wouldn't that make it an off-road bike?
10/6/2017 7:19am
305FC250 wrote:
What changed on the Honda between 2017 and 2018? As far as I know nothing significant changed... How is it magically dominating shootouts? I'm not gona...
What changed on the Honda between 2017 and 2018? As far as I know nothing significant changed... How is it magically dominating shootouts? I'm not gona jump on the whole "Honda is paying for it" thing but last year they were what, 3rd-4th place in most of the shootouts and this year with only minor tweaks they've gone 2 for 2 so far. Doesn't make sense to me.

Anytime I see KTM and Husky spread that far apart the shootout loses all credibility imo. Husky last period is a joke.
Shootouts are an absolute joke to say the least!!! People that don't know how to read shootouts and buy a bike based on the winner are even dumber! I have always found it to be very funny that a tester being 2-3 seconds a lap faster on a bike would end up picking the slower machine that they would claim doesn't handle as good as the winner?

Since I've been reading shootouts, its always been clear that Suzuki and Kawasaki are always back of the pack mainly Suzuki. What's funny about this is when you read the lap times completed by the riders over many many many years by all sorts of riders the mighty Zook is always the fastest around the track but always seems to find its way in the back of the pack when it comes to place on the step??? Now I'm starting to see that the reviews don't even post lap times in its testing which is quite funny and of course easy to change. Realistically the reasons being is that dollars have a lot to do with overall picks.

When I test a bike, I look for turning attributes and how clutch and gear boxes feel over anything else. Cause I know everything else can be changed very easily and I almost always go for the best handling bike.

gpracer36
10/6/2017 8:43am
so funny to watch all the haters when Honda, twin pipes and all, dominate the shoot outs this year, haha
10/6/2017 9:55am
Nobody tends to remember what bike won the shootout a year later and most don't care. I don't think I've ever meet anyone say they bought a bike cause it won the shootout.
Moto_Geek
Fantasy
1464th
10/6/2017 10:18am
Guess I'm buying a honda and putting orange plastic on it.. Wink
gsxr6
10/6/2017 5:43pm Edited Date/Time 10/6/2017 10:13pm
I'm surprised Ktm has not* moved the color of the bike to a more red, ala 85 cr hondas
BobPA
10/6/2017 5:55pm
gpracer36 wrote:
so funny to watch all the haters when Honda, twin pipes and all, dominate the shoot outs this year, haha
That's what happens when Honda has the biggest shootout budgets Whistling
kiwifan
10/6/2017 8:02pm
gpracer36 wrote:
BobPA wrote:
man your posts are getting funnier and funnier, are you on the turps? Smile
BobPA
10/6/2017 9:22pm
gpracer36 wrote:
BobPA wrote:
kiwifan wrote:
I wish you could understand my extreme sarcasm, the damn internets creates such a language barrier.
kiwifan
10/6/2017 11:11pm
BobPA wrote:
kiwifan wrote:
BobPA wrote:
I wish you could understand my extreme sarcasm, the damn internets creates such a language barrier.
lol yes I got it mate
10/7/2017 5:01pm
I think dirtrider gave a better analysis of each bike, and they picked the Honda as the winner

Post a reply to: Dirt Rider 450 shootout

The Latest