ER visits tied to energy drinks double since 2007

500guy
Edited Date/Time 1/18/2013 7:18pm
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/01/16/er-visits-tied-to-…

So awesome, The only thing more dangerous with less reward is the racing.
|
1/17/2013 8:01pm
Coffee addicts come in frequently for the same thing. Energy drinks are so much worse for you though! I wonder if you kept one long enough if it would eat its way through the can eventually?
gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2452nd
1/17/2013 8:05pm
I dilute mine heavily with Jägermeister so I should be ok.
500guy
1/17/2013 8:10pm
gsxrcr28 wrote:
Yes

I heard Vodka is also excellent.
Choppy
1/17/2013 8:20pm
Whenever we create something to help with natural selection you people want to get rid of it.

The Shop

BAMX
1/17/2013 8:26pm
gsxrcr28 wrote:
You can amplify the dilution if you drop the Jägermeister in the gas of Redbull and slam it. Silly
Hando
1/17/2013 8:51pm
i drink red bulls when im tired and need to grind out some work....now thanks to retards that shot gun these things, the govt will come in and regulate..thus ruining it for the rest of us
fader418
1/17/2013 9:14pm
Thought they were gonna stop selling Monster and all energy drinks?
JeepnMike
1/17/2013 9:27pm
I don't drink coffee.. I could never appreciate the flavor and am honestly afraid if I did like it, I would be another minion at the Starbucks drive through every morning wasting copious amounts of $ every year. I do drink a sugar free Rockstar every morning to get through traffic though which does what I want and am not particulary proud of it.

Question.. Do you guys have any healthier alternatives that don't taste like poop and aren't coffee based and still provide somewhat of a wake the hell up? A lot of folks preach that everyone drinking energy drinks is a brainless tool without suggesting something better.
kkertzman
1/17/2013 9:38pm
And in other news...the number of A-holes on the internet has doubled since 2007. Everyone has access to the information super highway! Just remember statistics are whatever you want them to be!
Cook441
1/17/2013 9:44pm
bring back bud light!!!!!! seriously wassup?>
mynewcr250
1/17/2013 9:47pm Edited Date/Time 1/17/2013 9:48pm
JeepnMike wrote:
I don't drink coffee.. I could never appreciate the flavor and am honestly afraid if I did like it, I would be another minion at the...
I don't drink coffee.. I could never appreciate the flavor and am honestly afraid if I did like it, I would be another minion at the Starbucks drive through every morning wasting copious amounts of $ every year. I do drink a sugar free Rockstar every morning to get through traffic though which does what I want and am not particulary proud of it.

Question.. Do you guys have any healthier alternatives that don't taste like poop and aren't coffee based and still provide somewhat of a wake the hell up? A lot of folks preach that everyone drinking energy drinks is a brainless tool without suggesting something better.
yea, its called "sleep". its free and poses no health concerns.
1/17/2013 9:48pm
JeepnMike wrote:
I don't drink coffee.. I could never appreciate the flavor and am honestly afraid if I did like it, I would be another minion at the...

If you really like coffee you won't like Starbucks.
JeepnMike
1/17/2013 9:49pm
Stickers that were not easy to get as an amateur:.. (along the same lines as Bud Light):

JeepnMike
1/17/2013 9:53pm
mynewcr250 wrote:
My career and young kids ensure adequate sleep is a pipe dream. I could be typical and say something sarcastic and rude back, no need though.
1/17/2013 10:12pm
JeepnMike wrote:

Drink coffee! It helps to flush the pipes Wink and gives you energy that lasts longer and leaves you less jittery. Doctors recommend it because it is healthy. Just find a good creamer to put in it if you don't like the coffee taste. Energy drinks are definitely not healthy even if they're sugar free!
Jakes Dad
1/18/2013 4:08am
Been involved in several forms of racing for 30 years, can't think of too many title sponsors who's brand WAS good for you.
1/18/2013 4:21am
Coffee addicts come in frequently for the same thing. Energy drinks are so much worse for you though! I wonder if you kept one long enough...
Coffee addicts come in frequently for the same thing. Energy drinks are so much worse for you though! I wonder if you kept one long enough if it would eat its way through the can eventually?
It takes no more than a few months. I did the test.

For the guy asking for alternatives, a large glass of cold water and a cold shower do it for me without messing up my nervous system in the log term. If you're addicted it will take a few weeks to get rid of the crap feeling though, but its worth it.
Spartacus
1/18/2013 4:50am
No nonononono, they're actually good for you. Or so I was told because "you're brain runs on sugar".

1+ Starbucks comment.
IWreckALot
1/18/2013 4:52am
mynewcr250 wrote:
JeepnMike wrote:
My career and young kids ensure adequate sleep is a pipe dream. I could be typical and say something sarcastic and rude back, no need though.
What a dick you are. . .

Only kidding. You pose a good question though. Are you looking for something to drink? If there was a breakfast food, would that suffice. The culprit in all of the energy drinks and coffee is the caffeine. I was one of those trips to the ER last year. I was consuming 3 cups of starbucks dark coffee (no sugar) a day and not eating breakfast and it all caved in one day. . . in retrospect, I should have seen it coming. I've switched to a home brew coffee (1 cup a day) and I make some whole wheat banana nut waffles with wheat germ sweetened with a dab of honey and that gets me going in the morning and doesn't have the crash or anxiety effect I previously had.

Generally if it's good for you, it either lacks convenience or doesn't taste good. . . or both. I'm thinking a fruit smoothie or fruit and vegetable juice with natural sweeteners in it. You're not going to get the same pickup you get from caffeine in a shake though. Caffeine is the preferred morning drug for a reason.

Lastly, I think the article is linked to kids who are putting one after the other down the hatch and likely don't eat anything. That much caffeine on an empty stomach is a recipe for disasster. If you have one a day and eat something, it's not great for you, but you're probably not doing as much harm as you could.
steveada
1/18/2013 5:29am Edited Date/Time 1/18/2013 5:30am
Obviously we would all be better off if we all just ate organic gluten free granola, fresh vegetables grown in a pesticide/pollution free environment in our own backyard, and drank only purified water. However most of us don't do that. We make choices based upon what we like, what tastes good, what is convenient, what is affordable, what is good for you etc, and try and have some balance between them all. In our culture it is not really acceptable to just tell the boss your feeling a bit fatigued and are going to take a little nap to recharge, or tell your professor that your not going to take the exam because you were tired and went to bed early instead of studying. The use of something to help people make it through the day and do what they need to do is common to pretty much all cultures. Caffeine is the most widely studied and used performance enhancing drug known to man, and it works. Yes it would be better if nobody used it, but that is not reality. A cup of coffee or an energy drink every day is not going to kill you or even be detrimental to most people, but it is a drug and it's abuse will kill you. Teenagers are stupid (sorry) and will do stupid things just because they can. The only reason they are overdosing on energy drinks and not coffee is because coffee tastes like sh_t and it's kind of hard to chug 48 oz of hot coffee.
TX24
1/18/2013 5:29am
Eating a cup of ice will keep one awake for awhile.
Holigan
1/18/2013 7:28am
JeepnMike wrote:

a large glass of ice tea
JeepnMike
1/18/2013 8:13am
Thanks for the replies guys. IWreckALot, I always enjoy reading your posts.. They are always level-headed and intelligent. Oddly enough, my wife just bought a NutriBullet and is trying to get me to start drinking smoothies. The only problem with that, is the days I do go into the office (I am fortunate enough to telecommute 3-4 days a week) I get up at 5AM and don't want to wake the house with a blender.

I know someone mentioned teas and I honestly know nothing about them. Can you drink tea with the equivelant caffeine kick of coffee? Sorry to drag this so off topic for this section of the forum, these are honest questions that might help more than just myself.
bdub
1/18/2013 9:01am
Most tea has plenty of caffeine, but the problem with those is unless you like unsweetened tea, you will be drinking lots of sugar with it and that isnt good to do in the morning. Try to do some light exercises within 5 minutes of waking up. It will "kickstart" your metabolism and give you a burst of energy that last all throughout the morning.
Zildjian
1/18/2013 9:05am Edited Date/Time 1/18/2013 9:05am
Take more Vitamin B complex.
JLong
1/18/2013 9:18am
MIO Energy. Straight into water.
RbR
1/18/2013 10:00am
Pansies abound ... last time I looked around, riding dirt scooters wasn't too healthy either ... better ban 'em.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
1/18/2013 10:08am
Quick poll: How many energy drinks do you drink a week?

For me? Zero, unless it's something like Muscle Milk, which has some nutritional value.

Post a reply to: ER visits tied to energy drinks double since 2007

The Latest