Fantasy
736th
7/25/2017 11:25am
Our twins just turned 2 and my 2 year old YZ450 just turned 5 hours...Sad
sumdood
Fantasy
1267th
7/25/2017 11:42am Edited Date/Time 7/25/2017 11:44am
When ours were born we went from a tent to an old motorhome and rode more than ever. Congrats !

sumdood
Fantasy
1267th
7/25/2017 11:45am
Time to start looking for a balance bike and a PW50 Smile

The Shop

r.sal923
7/25/2017 11:56am
Congratulations . We just had a baby in march. I still ride the same amount, but I don't have the time to hang out at track and slap high fives anymore. It is put in 2 motos and get back home to do baby stuff. It has taking some of the social fun out of it and at the same time has made it better not wasting your day at track.
mmain62
7/25/2017 12:08pm
Congrats Man! My son just turned 2 this month and he is all about riding " BIRTBIKES" as he says. Every dude on the TV is daddy. I always agree with him due to Eli Tomac being just a hair faster than I am. I got him a ttr50 and we've been riding it around the yard together. Last night he started twisting the throttle on his own and it was like the coolest thing ever I can only imagine what I will feel like when he scrubs past me when he's older ha. Of course I wont hear him coming on his alta hahaha not
JRT812
7/25/2017 1:00pm
Brad460 wrote:
hahaha that is so true
cjmx
Fantasy
1179th
7/25/2017 1:43pm
congrats! being a father is the best thing that will ever happen to you. I still ride a lot...just don't race much. It's hard to justify spending 10 hours at a race waiting for my motos. Maybe when they get older, if they want race things will be different.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
7/25/2017 2:22pm
Brad460 wrote:
hahaha!

My daughter is 4 1/2, bike is 4 years and might have just hit 20 hours at most. I know your pain
ledger
7/25/2017 2:37pm
Congrats to both of you. Having a child is a life changing event, lot's of emotions will surface, but it's good. My advice....Enjoy each day, every day. Congrats again.
rohleder644
7/25/2017 3:32pm
"How did life change for those of you who are fathers with a newborn both on and off the bike?"

It changes in more ways than could ever be answered on this forum. That's the fun of it though. Have fun doing everything you do. Whether it's going to the zoo, the track, watching sesame street, or watching your kids sleep. My entire perspective changed when I had my 1st. Life's short. Enjoy every day you get with them. Enjoy all the hard work it takes to provide for them. Enjoy the little bit of free time you get to yourself. Just enjoy it all. My girls are 3 1/2 and 2. They're not kidding when they say they grow up in an instant.

As far as riding specifically is concerned...... owning a construction company keeps me from riding 100 times more than being a parent does. Figure out a way to include JR and the misses, then it's good quality family time.
Pirate421
7/25/2017 5:34pm
Become a professional practice rider until you can race 30+. Vet class guys are mostly parents and just want to ride. I'm pretty much done racing and spending all day at the track sitting around. Rather go to practice track and ride from 10-2 then back home for dinner and maybe take my kid to the beach. Just make sure mama gets her chill time too and all will be good!
JW269
7/25/2017 5:51pm
Congratulations! Get ready for the most tired rewarding part of your life! My son Eli was born last May. I've ridden a lot less 1-2 times a week but that's with making sure my wife and son are squared away before I go. In the beginning I would get caught up thinking about all that could go wrong on the track but that passes. I definitely keep my riding more in check since he was born. He came to one of my harescrambles and loved all the bikes. He's now just over a year old and when dirt bikes are on tv he says Nananana making two stroke noises! Hopefully he'll want to ride one day but as you'll soon find out; you won't care as long as the child is happy! Enjoy the sleepless nights and watching your child grow. it's an amazing time. Congratulations again Dad!!!
Bennett59
7/25/2017 5:57pm
Had Twins 10 months ago I mainly ride vet class now and just don't try to take as many chances, 25+ class kinda sucks though lol, some fast guys still. I still hit the track almost every weekend, and sometimes during the week but sometimes you got just do the family stuff and enjoy it. I already got the PW and striders for them when there ready lol.
1st to post
7/25/2017 8:25pm
Congrats on becoming a father soon! The emotions are scary but your parental instinct will take over once the baby arrives. My first came in '08 and i thought what kind of time management would I have. Gym, Riding, work, Honey Do's at the house and online video gaming late at night. Well I will say once my 1st came my career increased and hobbies went down really quick. But I really didn't miss the hobbies until after a little after a year when my first was born. I started riding again! Started back slow on trails, where I currently live a 3 mile loop of a trail starts right out my back door. Really easy and very rocky with a few easy doubles along the trail nothing great but wanted to get the feel of the bike. A couple weeks back on the bike I started getting more ballsy, thinking I was "name your favorite rider here" but really I was F class rider if that exist but I felt good right! The doubles section of the trails that I hit so many times I made that mistake. It was a wet day in January, there was a corner leading into the first set of easy doubles, bike bogged down coming out of the corner so I clutched it and hammered the throttle. I was in 4th thought I was in 3rd gear. Overshot landed on flat and heard a loud snap. Thought I landed on a tree branch. Not the case. My left arm was turned around backwards. MRI later that day, surgery that night. I didn't have use of my left arm for 6 months after, torn bicep, tricep, and forearm from the left elbow. The ulnar nerve and a few ligaments were still attached. I work in health care and deal with hearts. I have to use my hands to feel certain things. Thought my medical career was done. Fast forward 2 years and got back on the bike. Rode for a couple more years then in 2013 had a freak accident cleaning out my first borns fish bowl. Glass broke on the bowl while dumping and slice the main artery in my wrist. Long recovery process on that one. Rode a few time since then but my bikes just hang out in the garage and I like to look at them but I realized my career is my family and I risked it twice. I can't risk strike 3. Sorry to be long winded.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
7/25/2017 8:34pm
Bennett59 wrote:
Had Twins 10 months ago I mainly ride vet class now and just don't try to take as many chances, 25+ class kinda sucks though lol...
Had Twins 10 months ago I mainly ride vet class now and just don't try to take as many chances, 25+ class kinda sucks though lol, some fast guys still. I still hit the track almost every weekend, and sometimes during the week but sometimes you got just do the family stuff and enjoy it. I already got the PW and striders for them when there ready lol.
Come ride the twmx series with us sometime. My buddy and I usually ride +25 open when we get the chance to race. That class rides the vet track and the other guys aren't balls out like the rest of the +25 classes.

Do you ever ride Gorman?
Bennett59
7/25/2017 10:01pm
Bennett59 wrote:
Had Twins 10 months ago I mainly ride vet class now and just don't try to take as many chances, 25+ class kinda sucks though lol...
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Come ride the twmx series with us sometime. My buddy and I usually ride +25 open when we get the chance to race. That class rides...
Come ride the twmx series with us sometime. My buddy and I usually ride +25 open when we get the chance to race. That class rides the vet track and the other guys aren't balls out like the rest of the +25 classes.

Do you ever ride Gorman?
Yea it's one of my favorite tracks, I just got get some Spark arrest since I switched to Honda. I raced the twmx trans am In 2016 in 25+ novice. The only Twmx race I've done.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
7/25/2017 10:08pm
Bennett59 wrote:
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Come ride the twmx series with us sometime. My buddy and I usually ride +25 open when we get the chance to race. That class rides...

Do you ever ride Gorman?
Bennett59 wrote:
Yea it's one of my favorite tracks, I just got get some Spark arrest since I switched to Honda. I raced the twmx trans am In...
Yea it's one of my favorite tracks, I just got get some Spark arrest since I switched to Honda. I raced the twmx trans am In 2016 in 25+ novice. The only Twmx race I've done.
If you're interested, let's meet up and ride there soon. That's usually where I go because it's so close and cheap. There are a couple of other vitards that ride there also
Bennett59
7/26/2017 9:01pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:

Do you ever ride Gorman?
Bennett59 wrote:
Yea it's one of my favorite tracks, I just got get some Spark arrest since I switched to Honda. I raced the twmx trans am In...
mattyhamz2 wrote:
If you're interested, let's meet up and ride there soon. That's usually where I go because it's so close and cheap. There are a couple of...
If you're interested, let's meet up and ride there soon. That's usually where I go because it's so close and cheap. There are a couple of other vitards that ride there also
Yea you can't beat Gorman price lol. Yea it's like 45min for me.
7/27/2017 12:53pm
Honestly guys, Im blown away with all the congrats and experiences you've shared with me and I cant say thank you enough. I wish I could hit the fast forward button to early next year, but itll come quick enough Im sure.

Sounds like this, as I anticipated, will be the best chapter of my life so far. I only ride twice a week on my 125 for fun and race my mountain bike a little here and there to get the competitiveness out of me. That being said, family will come first when the time comes next year and thatll all be if I can squeeze it in. Ill see you all at loretta's in 2022 in the crazy mini dad class Smile

Post a reply to: Going to be a father....

The Latest