I just stood in my local KTM dealer for over 15m waiting to buy a 250SX and was completely snubbed. Ask me anything.

These guys need to get a grip on reality. I always buy Yamaha (YZ125 and 450F currently) but have owned a KTM 250SX before. Given all the great feedback on the 2017 model, I decided to treat myself.

The bike was on the floor. I have cash. This is the second dealer that completely ignored me. The arrogance of KTM dealers in Australia is beyond belief. The ridiculous pricing compared to Japanese bikes is one thing, but the utter contempt for the customer is unacceptable. I would be glad to pay the money if one of the high and mighty "sales people" could be bothered to "serve" me.

|
wsc96
Fantasy
474th
3/19/2017 7:50pm
Wow two KTM Australia threads within a couple of minutes. One for and one against.
Matt6505
Man that's pretty average, where in Aus are you?
Have a read of the post I just put up about the support I got from KTM if you are having second thoughts.
Matt6505
wsc96 wrote:
Wow two KTM Australia threads within a couple of minutes. One for and one against.
Pretty weird timing haha
tobz
Weird, where abouts in aus are you? Any dealer I've walked into where I go near a new bike will not leave me alone.

The Shop

ML512
Fantasy
45th
3/19/2017 7:52pm Edited Date/Time 3/19/2017 7:55pm
These guys need to get a grip on reality. I always buy Yamaha (YZ125 and 450F currently) but have owned a KTM 250SX before. Given all...
These guys need to get a grip on reality. I always buy Yamaha (YZ125 and 450F currently) but have owned a KTM 250SX before. Given all the great feedback on the 2017 model, I decided to treat myself.

The bike was on the floor. I have cash. This is the second dealer that completely ignored me. The arrogance of KTM dealers in Australia is beyond belief. The ridiculous pricing compared to Japanese bikes is one thing, but the utter contempt for the customer is unacceptable. I would be glad to pay the money if one of the high and mighty "sales people" could be bothered to "serve" me.

Yes, it's completely KTMs fault that the dealership staff didn't help you. *sarcasm alert*

Obvious question, what was the conversation you had with said staff? Did they tell you to wait or did you not speak to anyone at said dealerships as you felt you were being ignored?

My above question is in all seriousness as I'm curious by what you mean when you say "ignored" as there isn't much background on the situation placed in your original post
Matt6505
3/19/2017 7:56pm
City KTM in Abbotsford.
I had a similar issue when I was down your way from Canberra. Probably just get a heap of window shoppers.
wsc96
Fantasy
474th
3/19/2017 7:58pm
ML512 wrote:
Yes, it's completely KTMs fault that the dealership staff didn't help you. *sarcasm alert* Obvious question, what was the conversation you had with said staff? Did...
Yes, it's completely KTMs fault that the dealership staff didn't help you. *sarcasm alert*

Obvious question, what was the conversation you had with said staff? Did they tell you to wait or did you not speak to anyone at said dealerships as you felt you were being ignored?

My above question is in all seriousness as I'm curious by what you mean when you say "ignored" as there isn't much background on the situation placed in your original post
2nd dealer that had ignored him. Not completely KTMs fault but where is their customer service at. It is their job to ensure those who represent the brand are doing a good job.
pdub187
Fantasy
2532nd
3/19/2017 8:00pm
What dealership? I've had nothing but good experiences with Moorooka Yamaha/KTM.
Skerby
3/19/2017 8:01pm
Bro culture is taking ktm down from the inside.
rrjr
3/19/2017 8:04pm
City KTM in Abbotsford.
Send a note to the sales manager. Let him know of your experience with his salesmen. It probably won't do any good but you never know he might make it worth your while to give them another chance.

Walking in to the dealer wearing a jacket made from "redbacks" helps to get their attention.
Project 2501
Fantasy
288th
3/19/2017 8:05pm
Sales is a tough job because we all have our own idiosyncrasies. When I show up to buy a high dollar purchase, I want to be left alone. I want to approach the sales team if and when I decide I want to discuss a purchase. When I am approached to soon, I 100% of the time leave the store and go elsewhere.
ML512
Fantasy
45th
3/19/2017 8:07pm
wsc96 wrote:
2nd dealer that had ignored him. Not completely KTMs fault but where is their customer service at. It is their job to ensure those who represent...
2nd dealer that had ignored him. Not completely KTMs fault but where is their customer service at. It is their job to ensure those who represent the brand are doing a good job.
Their customer service was shipping the other bloke a new engine.

I understand where you're coming from but the staff a dealership hires is hard for a manufacturer to control, while fixing or taking care of a customer with an actual product problem is more in their wheelhouse. In this case, the KTM importer or KTM Aus office won't have a clue that there's a problem with a dealership staff unless they're notified about it by a disgruntled customer. In this case, I doubt anyone from the KTM Australia office is checking our forum for customer complaints.

My initial comment is a pun (as noted with the sarcasm alert) but is followed up with questions to better reveal the situation. Because right now, there's almost no background to the situation. I've been in plenty of car and bike dealerships, looking at a product and have never had anyone walk up to me. Some staff isn't so jump down your throat unless you enquire about the product. But, there are some that won't give you the time of day either. I'm curious if he approached any staff and said he wanted to buy a bike or just stood next to one, waiting for a staff member to inquire towards him.
rancor19
3/19/2017 8:08pm Edited Date/Time 3/19/2017 8:08pm
Wow.

I'd go back, walk up to the bike and shout "HEY, M-F'ERS, I'LL TAKE THIS ONE!" while waving the cash around.

See if that works. If it don't, try just wheeling it out the front door.
3/19/2017 8:10pm Edited Date/Time 3/19/2017 8:14pm
If you think the issue is mine or that I'm a plant, I can assure you that I am not in any way involved in the industry. I am the regional head for a global company and present myself very well. In my opinion, the sales staff are extremely arrogant at pretty much every KTM dealer I have been to.

Maybe not the case in the US, where there exists a service culture. But down here, the "service" is abysmal.

Edit: typo. Typing on my phone.
Xeno
3/19/2017 8:11pm
What's the price out the door for a 250SX in Australia?
ML512
Fantasy
45th
3/19/2017 8:16pm Edited Date/Time 3/19/2017 8:17pm
If you think the issue is mine or that I'm a plant, I can assure you that I am not in any way involved in the...
If you think the issue is mine or that I'm a plant, I can assure you that I am not in any way involved in the industry. I am the regional head for a global company and present myself very well. In my opinion, the sales staff are extremely arrogant at pretty much every KTM dealer I have been to.

Maybe not the case in the US, where there exists a service culture. But down here, the "service" is abysmal.

I'm not accusing you by any means, but if you're going to come on here and make such a statement, a little background would be appreciated and confirm your stance. As of now, there's not much to go on and leaves more questions than anything...

Basically, if someone is going to come on here and point fingers at a brand, I expect the reasons to explained. Otherwise, it just comes across as another bashing thread that I would send to the dumbgeon.
3/19/2017 8:21pm
wsc96 wrote:
2nd dealer that had ignored him. Not completely KTMs fault but where is their customer service at. It is their job to ensure those who represent...
ML512 wrote:
Their customer service was shipping the other bloke a new engine. I understand where you're coming from but the staff a dealership hires is hard for...
Their customer service was shipping the other bloke a new engine.

I understand where you're coming from but the staff a dealership hires is hard for a manufacturer to control, while fixing or taking care of a customer with an actual product problem is more in their wheelhouse. In this case, the KTM importer or KTM Aus office won't have a clue that there's a problem with a dealership staff unless they're notified about it by a disgruntled customer. In this case, I doubt anyone from the KTM Australia office is checking our forum for customer complaints.

My initial comment is a pun (as noted with the sarcasm alert) but is followed up with questions to better reveal the situation. Because right now, there's almost no background to the situation. I've been in plenty of car and bike dealerships, looking at a product and have never had anyone walk up to me. Some staff isn't so jump down your throat unless you enquire about the product. But, there are some that won't give you the time of day either. I'm curious if he approached any staff and said he wanted to buy a bike or just stood next to one, waiting for a staff member to inquire towards him.
I walked in. Stood next to the bike. Attempted to make eye contact with the staff. They were either "busy on the phone" or talking to each other.

I kept waiting. And waiting. And waiting. Then I walked out.

Bear in mind that this has happened at TWO SEPARATE DEALERS.

At another dealer several months ago, right when the 2017s were released, I went to find out when the demo days were scheduled for this year, as I was torn between the 150SX and 250SX. The dealer told me, and I quote: 'Dunno, check the facebook page. Dunno if we'll even bother cos it costs us like 50 grand to run a demo and we never sell any bikes.'

You can't make up this sort of shit.
rrjr
3/19/2017 8:23pm
Xeno wrote:
$11,495.
$8.873 US Dollars converted price from AUS Dollar
3/19/2017 8:25pm
If you think the issue is mine or that I'm a plant, I can assure you that I am not in any way involved in the...

ML512 wrote:
I'm not accusing you by any means, but if you're going to come on here and make such a statement, a little background would be appreciated...
I'm not accusing you by any means, but if you're going to come on here and make such a statement, a little background would be appreciated and confirm your stance. As of now, there's not much to go on and leaves more questions than anything...

Basically, if someone is going to come on here and point fingers at a brand, I expect the reasons to explained. Otherwise, it just comes across as another bashing thread that I would send to the dumbgeon.
Run a poll of Aussies if you don't believe me. Every one of my friends who ride have experienced this phenomenon. Perhaps we should all get sleeve tattoos and wear flat bill caps and pants so tight you'd think they were painted on.

On the other end of the spectrum, luxury car dealers and dealerships for Ducati and BMW (for example) usually fall over themselves trying to assist the purchase process.
3/19/2017 8:28pm
Xeno wrote:
$11,495.
rrjr wrote:
$8.873 US Dollars converted price from AUS Dollar
As a point of reference, I can get a brand new YZ250 for AUD$8500, but that is not the point of the thread.

If people are tyre kicking dirt bikes, they need to get a life (or better job).
ML512
Fantasy
45th
3/19/2017 8:28pm
I walked in. Stood next to the bike. Attempted to make eye contact with the staff. They were either "busy on the phone" or talking to...
I walked in. Stood next to the bike. Attempted to make eye contact with the staff. They were either "busy on the phone" or talking to each other.

At another dealer several months ago, right when the 2017s were released, I went to find out when the demo days were scheduled for this year, as I was torn between the 150SX and 250SX. The dealer told me, and I quote: 'Dunno, check the facebook page. Dunno if we'll even bother cos it costs us like 50 grand to run a demo and we never sell any bikes.'

Okay, seriously, no offense...but you didn't walk up to one of them and initiate a conversation? I completely understand you expecting one of them to come over to you but if you really wanted to buy the bike, cash in hand...

Once again, I totally understand the thought that the staff is being lazy or not into it by your view, I see what you're saying...but on another hand you didn't explore all the options of the situation and now we have an forum rant about it.
wsc96
Fantasy
474th
3/19/2017 8:32pm
Run a poll of Aussies if you don't believe me. Every one of my friends who ride have experienced this phenomenon. Perhaps we should all get...
Run a poll of Aussies if you don't believe me. Every one of my friends who ride have experienced this phenomenon. Perhaps we should all get sleeve tattoos and wear flat bill caps and pants so tight you'd think they were painted on.

On the other end of the spectrum, luxury car dealers and dealerships for Ducati and BMW (for example) usually fall over themselves trying to assist the purchase process.
Sounds like poor service to me. Maybe it is an Aussie thing but I don't believe it is a KTM exclusive thing. Those that work in the local bike shops really seem to hate their job or just think your money is not worth their time.
3/19/2017 8:33pm
I walked in. Stood next to the bike. Attempted to make eye contact with the staff. They were either "busy on the phone" or talking to...

ML512 wrote:
Okay, seriously, no offense...but you didn't walk up to one of them and initiate a conversation? I completely understand you expecting one of them to come...
Okay, seriously, no offense...but you didn't walk up to one of them and initiate a conversation? I completely understand you expecting one of them to come over to you but if you really wanted to buy the bike, cash in hand...

Once again, I totally understand the thought that the staff is being lazy or not into it by your view, I see what you're saying...but on another hand you didn't explore all the options of the situation and now we have an forum rant about it.
My view is this: if you are too lazy to walk TWO METRES to say hello, when I am trying to attract your attention for a quarter of an hour, then I'd rather buy yet another bike off someone else. Like I said at the outset, I don't need the bike but decided to go and treat myself.

And again, this was not a one-off. Read my other comments in this thread.
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
3/19/2017 8:35pm Edited Date/Time 3/19/2017 8:39pm
So, you just stood there and walked out? Who did you talk to at the dealership?

In just a short time in this thread, you seem to get very defensive with honest, harmless, and well meaning questions. Afterall, the last sentence in your title was, "Ask me anything."
3/19/2017 8:36pm
Run a poll of Aussies if you don't believe me. Every one of my friends who ride have experienced this phenomenon. Perhaps we should all get...

wsc96 wrote:
Sounds like poor service to me. Maybe it is an Aussie thing but I don't believe it is a KTM exclusive thing. Those that work in...
Sounds like poor service to me. Maybe it is an Aussie thing but I don't believe it is a KTM exclusive thing. Those that work in the local bike shops really seem to hate their job or just think your money is not worth their time.
Perhaps you are right, but I buy a bike every year or every other year and have not consistently had this experience across other brands. And I have been riding for 3 decades, buying my own bikes for about the last 17 years.
Azcrf331
3/19/2017 8:37pm
rancor19 wrote:
Wow. I'd go back, walk up to the bike and shout "HEY, M-F'ERS, I'LL TAKE THIS ONE!" while waving the cash around. See if that works...
Wow.

I'd go back, walk up to the bike and shout "HEY, M-F'ERS, I'LL TAKE THIS ONE!" while waving the cash around.

See if that works. If it don't, try just wheeling it out the front door.
+1
Skidaddle
3/19/2017 8:39pm Edited Date/Time 3/19/2017 8:40pm
Why didn't you just roll it out the door, load it up and leave? Once out the door, they won't touch you. Ask Home Depot or Wal mart. They run out the door with power tools. They can't be touched past the door.
kiwifan
3/19/2017 8:45pm
Well this isnt KTM's fault (to be fair I dont think you are implying this) but I am sure they would like to know that a particular dealership (or 2?) doesnt have great customer service. I admit to not knowing KTM's policy towards dealerships and what is expected of them, so they may not do anything but then again they might.

I have had this before with a Suzuki dealer a few years back, I just asked (not shouting but loudly so other customers could hear) ..."well do you want my money or should I go to Yamaha around the corner" ...it worked. After the sale was made I did complain to the dealership management, got some free stuff as a result lol

Post a reply to: I just stood in my local KTM dealer for over 15m waiting to buy a 250SX and was completely snubbed. Ask me anything.

The Latest