John Tomac?

early
Fantasy
2212th
4/25/2017 7:19pm

When John was racing alot of road he put drop bars on his downhill bike because hebwas used to them...crazy!

At some point i remember Matthes had Eli on the phone and asked him if there was ever a time he was going to race mountain bikes instead of MX and he said no, it had always been moto. Dad probably knew there was no real money in mountain bikes.
4/25/2017 7:22pm
I grew up racing BMX with John in MI. He was very strong and fast. Guy B would probably know for sure, but I believe he had some connection with the Rupe brothers (BMX) maybe by marriage. They all got into Mountain Biking just as it was getting popular.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
4/25/2017 8:23pm
I shot this cover BITD.

Jbulz
Fantasy
4069th
4/25/2017 8:25pm
GuyB wrote:
I shot this cover BITD. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/04/25/190498/s1200_IMG_5851.jpg[/img]
I shot this cover BITD.

Wow, you can sure see the resemblance between Eli and his dad in that picture

The Shop

chuckie108
4/25/2017 9:13pm
Johnny T is the only guy to win world cup rounds in both XC and DH- that will NEVER be done again. Bad mofo for sure!
friday10
4/25/2017 9:17pm
Me and JT at the Sierra 7500 many moons ago.

Jspazz
4/25/2017 10:59pm
Thought the thread title was a joke at first, now realize I am old.

To me there is Tomac, then there is Eli.

Im sure there is nothing that Aldon has on JT. Shows this year.
ob
4/27/2017 8:35am
Johnny T was the man back when mountain biking was way bigger than MX. In the 90s it was probably a mainstream sport with big dollars. How do you guys think him and Eli got to persue a mx career? With a big ranch and tracks and all that. That's cycling money. Hero status, Eli hasn't gotten close to what his dad did, yet.
TJ 755
4/27/2017 8:52am
I was at one of the early NORBA nationals at Big bear around 87-88 and I will never forget how fast he came down that hill with that Tioga flex disc rear wheel making the weirdest warble sound you ever heard.
TJ 755
4/27/2017 9:00am
looks alot like Eli in this pic

Ted722
4/27/2017 9:03am
^^...and these!

kburgie
4/27/2017 9:09am
Jspazz wrote:
Thought the thread title was a joke at first, now realize I am old. To me there is Tomac, then there is Eli. Im sure there...

I'm 31 and have followed MX since around 2000 (now I feel old). I've always known John Tomac as a mountain bike legend, but never witnessed his performances myself. Every time I see him referenced as such a bad dude it makes me wonder how many people really saw him, and how many are just repeating what they've heard. Does that make sense?
scootch
4/27/2017 9:12am
Give #tomactuesday on Instagram a scroll
dedi684
4/27/2017 9:13am
I grew up racing BMX with John in MI. He was very strong and fast. Guy B would probably know for sure, but I believe he...
I grew up racing BMX with John in MI. He was very strong and fast. Guy B would probably know for sure, but I believe he had some connection with the Rupe brothers (BMX) maybe by marriage. They all got into Mountain Biking just as it was getting popular.
Eric Rupe? Damn I rode a Mongoose Eric Rupe would love to find one!
dedi684
4/27/2017 9:13am Edited Date/Time 4/27/2017 9:14am
I grew up racing BMX with John in MI. He was very strong and fast. Guy B would probably know for sure, but I believe he...
huck
4/27/2017 9:25am
I was lined up for the Vet practice at the Branson 'national' one year. Next to me I see the back of the guys helmet and it said John Tomac. I struck up a conversation with him and we chatted for 20 minutes while waiting for our practice. I asked him if he rode mtn bikes much any more...and he said that his son's racing kept them pretty busy. Eli was on 50s at the time...and was in his first magazine a few weeks after that. When I got back to the pits, I told everybody about it...but nobody had heard of John.

BTW, I passed John on the track.
doghouse
4/27/2017 9:28am
Jspazz wrote:
Thought the thread title was a joke at first, now realize I am old. To me there is Tomac, then there is Eli. Im sure there...

I know right?
doghouse
4/27/2017 9:33am
kburgie wrote:
I'm 31 and have followed MX since around 2000 (now I feel old). I've always known John Tomac as a mountain bike legend, but never witnessed...
I'm 31 and have followed MX since around 2000 (now I feel old). I've always known John Tomac as a mountain bike legend, but never witnessed his performances myself. Every time I see him referenced as such a bad dude it makes me wonder how many people really saw him, and how many are just repeating what they've heard. Does that make sense?
Sure, definitely makes if you just started following either MX or MTB around the millennium.

I think most of us mid 30's and up actually remember him in real time, I started on MTB in elementary school as it was just beginning to ramp up in popularity. In high school it was a great time, really the golden era of MTBing as a sport, just so much development and progression. All the sick bikes that came out from Fisher and Yeti, Litespeed, FAT cycles, etc.. Tomac was larger than life, total animal on the bike.

Another hard charger was Missy Giove, she was from my hometown. Insane on downhills.
ob
4/27/2017 10:00am

This is a good one
TJMX947
4/27/2017 10:45am
I saw him riding his 29er the day after Red Bud in 2010. I was out in the camping area and he was just leisurely riding over by the woods, cowboy hat and all. Had my leg not been broken at the time I would have chased him down. Legend.
Bearuno
4/27/2017 11:01am
early wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/04/25/190489/s1200_f8a67f9df7242311a23253f01af96f3e.jpg[/img] When John was racing alot of road he put drop bars on his downhill bike because hebwas used to them...crazy! At some point i remember...

When John was racing alot of road he put drop bars on his downhill bike because hebwas used to them...crazy!

At some point i remember Matthes had Eli on the phone and asked him if there was ever a time he was going to race mountain bikes instead of MX and he said no, it had always been moto. Dad probably knew there was no real money in mountain bikes.
No real money in Mountain Bikes?

How in hell do you think John Tomac got that Ranch etc in Colorado that Eli grew up on? Eli grew up with one hell of a lifestyle, through his Dad's earnings.

John Tomac was noted for being one of the canniest / financially turned on riders, in a time when there was a hell of a lot of money in MTBs. That money is what enticed him towards MTB from BMX. There still is plenty of money in MTB / Bicycling at the highest levels , but at one point, there was ridiculous money being paid to a hell of a lot of MTB riders, and then there was someone like JT - making serious, Serious money, and, deservedly so.
mx_563
4/27/2017 11:45am Edited Date/Time 4/27/2017 11:47am
I first heard of him when I was in College, in the 90s. Seemed like he was getting a lot of coverage in the fledgling mountain bike press at the time. And I wasn't even really into cycling. Didn't even own a bike at the time.

So when Eli started getting some press as a Suzuki 80cc rider, I remember immediately thinking of John. Yeah, all the references to his glory and fame are legit.

EDIT: Wasn't John heavily involved in the development of the Mongoose BMX Cruiser line?
tp4
4/27/2017 11:57am Edited Date/Time 4/27/2017 11:58am
he loved moto..he came out and raced perris when Goat ran it...!
Hammer 663s
4/27/2017 12:42pm
I raced against him once in Ottawa, Canada years ago at a regional event. I want to say 92 or 93. I was a pretty fast ~29 year old at that time. I forget how many times he lapped me. Kinda like at Hangtown when the Enticknap Bros would go out in the open session. Embarrassing. No idea why he was even racing something that small - appearance fee maybe, or maybe there was another bigger race nearby. He was the MAN then in cross country. Like Missy Giove was with Women's Downhill MTB.

Hammer 663s
Firefly47
4/27/2017 1:10pm
In my eyes, Tomac and Steve Tilford were the 2 guys I looked up to coming up on XC bikes.
Moto_Geek
Fantasy
1464th
4/27/2017 1:33pm
I just want an invitation for ride day at his mx track in Cortez..
mach6972
4/27/2017 1:40pm
Around 1993 I was racing a Norba National Down Hill at Helen Georgia,my sister was with me and we were walking by Tomacs rig (coach or motor home) there was a tiny window toward there rear and my sister said, there's a baby crawling out the window ! We stood there and no one else was around,she yelled, he's climbing out!!! She ran behind the taped off area to the window which was to high for her to reach and he jumped out in her arms ! I think my sister was laughing and crying at the same time,like happy she caught him but scared the hell out of her. Her and I start walking toward the main door and here comes Mrs. Tomac busting out the door running toward us. My sister said to her,he was climbing out the window,no one was around and I stuck my arms up and he jumped. Mrs.Tomac said ahhhh thank you then grabbed little Tomes and ran him back in the rig. John was standing there like wtf just happened !
early
Fantasy
2212th
4/27/2017 1:57pm
early wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/04/25/190489/s1200_f8a67f9df7242311a23253f01af96f3e.jpg[/img] When John was racing alot of road he put drop bars on his downhill bike because hebwas used to them...crazy! At some point i remember...

Bearuno wrote:
No real money in Mountain Bikes? How in hell do you think John Tomac got that Ranch etc in Colorado that Eli grew up on? Eli...
No real money in Mountain Bikes?

How in hell do you think John Tomac got that Ranch etc in Colorado that Eli grew up on? Eli grew up with one hell of a lifestyle, through his Dad's earnings.

John Tomac was noted for being one of the canniest / financially turned on riders, in a time when there was a hell of a lot of money in MTBs. That money is what enticed him towards MTB from BMX. There still is plenty of money in MTB / Bicycling at the highest levels , but at one point, there was ridiculous money being paid to a hell of a lot of MTB riders, and then there was someone like JT - making serious, Serious money, and, deservedly so.
Im not saying John didnt make good money at the time in mountain biking. Im saying that John didnt push his son to follow in his footsteps because he knew what the atmoshpere in cycling was with doping and money for pros being tight.

We complain alot about how much pro mx pays which is low compared to traditional sports or top level car racing, but if you compare it to other outdoor recreation sports which it more closely resembles the pay for the top guys is pretty good.
Sixeightone
4/27/2017 2:10pm Edited Date/Time 4/27/2017 2:16pm
John Tomac is on of the MOST Decorated Cyclists on the face of this planet. He has won everything from Downhill championships on drop handlebar mountain bikes, to stages in the Tour De France. He is THE guy. Even owned and operated his own brand for a while "Tomac Bikes". When I race mountain bikes back in the day he was always at the races, and always spent time to talk to me! When he Developed the KENDA Blue Groove Tire (2002/2003) I was one of the first people to have them! I bought them when he first released them at a NORBA national at Mount Snow and John himself mounted them on my bike! Total bad ass! I'm super glad that his son is taking after him, makes me like Eli that much more! I have some pictures at home I'll upload later of him racing!

Another super awesome mountain bike guy who helps a lot with the TLD team is Brian Lopes! Him and Tomac used to be the guys when it came to dual slalom or 4x. Brian is a super nice guy too! I have his World Championship jersey signed to me hanging in my room! Those guys would spend all day talking to you! Didn't have to wait in line to see them either! They more often than not would go get dinner and beers with you too! Completely different industry, but so bad ass!

Post a reply to: John Tomac?

The Latest