Laurens from LOP Interview...

MX-Files
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 4:35pm
Good morning!

I had the distinct honor to interview Laurens from LOP Products the other day about the 1980 USGP and Marty Moate's spectacular day. Learned a lot about LOP, how Marty got on the team and all about the 1980 USGP.

This interview will be key to our upcoming film, "Carlsbad USGP:1980". We hope to have it finished in time for "Monsters of Motocross" in October.

Below is a pic from the shoot with Laurens and a replica of Marty's famous Yammie.

Have a good week all!

|
Tiki
Fantasy
1670th
7/20/2009 8:57am
LOP and Simmons goes together like Peanut Butter and Jelly. Just words but together are pretty cool.

Thanks MX. Please share with the rest of us if you can. I would be interested in seeing it.
denny360
7/20/2009 9:25am
I grew up with Greg Theiss who rode for LOP back in the day. Greg was a huge influence on my racing career when I was a kid in Omaha. He tought me sometimes you have to slow down to go fast. I have an old Moates LOP jersey that Greg gave me when I was little. I look forward to seeing the new film! Thanks for the update.
7/20/2009 9:35am
When I was a kid I was infatuated with LOP stuff (as well as DG). I had LOP stickers on the visor of my Bell Moto-3 , my locker at school, my truck, dirt bikes,tool box, etc.
Great memories!
6/18/2010 7:42am
I know this post is old, having just read about Moats, Laurens and many other old friends. Moats was an animal in as much Laurens was a genius for his time. Laurens was never given proper credit for his work product, designs, ideas etc. In a day when most ideas were generated by the big factories or the small boutique southern California machine shop Laurens put his stamp on our sport an industry by having the balls to hire the likes of riders like Moates and Bobby Jones* with a very limited budget but with the foresight that these talented riders would have the ability to get his product developed, perfected then out into the market place by virtue of winning on sunday and selling on Monday. Godspeed to Moates and my blessings to his family, his spirit will live in every old motocross racer and fan forever knowing he placed a stamp on the world that American riders were just as good if not better.

Bobby Jones is a name maybe some guy's like Jimmy Holley, Ward, Meyerscoff, O'mara, Hansen and many others will always remember as a sick fast rider that succumbed to the party life way to young..

Anyone know where to reach Laurens?

The Shop

yzvet426
6/18/2010 9:03am
I know this post is old, having just read about Moats, Laurens and many other old friends. Moats was an animal in as much Laurens was...
I know this post is old, having just read about Moats, Laurens and many other old friends. Moats was an animal in as much Laurens was a genius for his time. Laurens was never given proper credit for his work product, designs, ideas etc. In a day when most ideas were generated by the big factories or the small boutique southern California machine shop Laurens put his stamp on our sport an industry by having the balls to hire the likes of riders like Moates and Bobby Jones* with a very limited budget but with the foresight that these talented riders would have the ability to get his product developed, perfected then out into the market place by virtue of winning on sunday and selling on Monday. Godspeed to Moates and my blessings to his family, his spirit will live in every old motocross racer and fan forever knowing he placed a stamp on the world that American riders were just as good if not better.

Bobby Jones is a name maybe some guy's like Jimmy Holley, Ward, Meyerscoff, O'mara, Hansen and many others will always remember as a sick fast rider that succumbed to the party life way to young..

I couldn't agree with you more. In fact I'm in the process of building this.

I thought it was interesting that LOP made such a mark in that period than poof just like that Laurens just walked away and never looked back until the movie.

I was able to get in contact with his sister who passed on some info for me. Did you know him? I could pass on your name and contact info to him.

6/18/2010 9:49am
Funny, I had the same Suzuk, wanna sell it? Do you know anyone with Simmons forks for sale?
Anyway, I lived at Laurens house with his family in 1977 after his dad came back from China. It was myself Billy Joyce, Mark Gregson and Jones. When I flew into Chicago and waited three hours after the flight landed outside the airport by myself at 16 years old here comes this dodge van, flying up the on-ramp doing about 100mph sliding sideways, the sliding door opens up and these guy's jump out grab me and my bag throw me in the back and kidnapped me! That night we loaded up and went somewhere in northern Michigan Laurens had a house system in his van with these mega speakers and started to blast everyone all night to Pink Floyd the Wall. Next day Jones preceded to trounce Mark Barnett and Jeff Surwall at a local race while they had no bike ready for me... LOL... Was still all fun...
At Southwick Moates was late the day of practice and pulled up with a rental car and his girlfriend, next thing we were all jumping on his rental car roof, which onlly had less than 1000 miles on it, and preceded to cave the roof down to the head rests in full riding gear and boots, I think anyone within site in the pits joined in! Moates freaked because he never put the insurance on it!!!!!
What most people do not know is Laurens dad invented the guided missile, the EKG and EEG medical machines, the brains, DNA, did spill into Laurens head just ask Krause..

I am sure Laurens will remember me, the blonde haired kid from New Jersey that grew up in Fillmore California with Jones and Indian Dunes.. Is there a way to get your e-mail without the whole world knowing?
6/18/2010 9:52am
I actually may still know the porting specs for your 125, if it has not been ported.
yzvet426
6/18/2010 10:05am
You can get me at jefflg@sbcglobal.net

I sent a message, I'll let you know if I get anything back.

I'd kill for any and all info on LOP. so sure if there is a way to get the specs.

Jeff

mxb2
6/18/2010 2:28pm Edited Date/Time 6/18/2010 2:28pm
Did nt Greg Theiss ride for LOP back in the day? #23 i think
Highsider
6/18/2010 5:25pm Edited Date/Time 6/18/2010 5:28pm
mxb2 wrote:
Did nt Greg Theiss ride for LOP back in the day? #23 i think
FYI: You need to scroll up and read denny360's post.
CaliTransplant: you can listen to the 6/9/10 show archive from
www.DMXSRadio.com
mvmx
6/19/2010 2:40am
I know this post is old, having just read about Moats, Laurens and many other old friends. Moats was an animal in as much Laurens was...

Ahhh..WE are OLD....The last time I saw Bobby Jones was about 20 years ago when I worked the Phoenix F1 race. He owned an Moto track/skatespot named *Thrasherland* in east desert. Night racing with every other generator light set out of fuel...goodtimes! The regulars were Dray and Gary Dirks, Bobby White, Sean Kaylos, and a rocket mini rider Jimmy Button. I was a guest vet guy. Ouch.

Mickey Kessler and Pat Maroney were LOP also.

The "Team Husqvarna" ha.. caravan of Maroney, Greg Theiss, Mike Guerra,Ed Moore,Arlo Englnd,Frank Stacy and some times Chuck Sun and a few more I can't remember.

Grass roots moto for sure.

MV

Post a reply to: Laurens from LOP Interview...

The Latest