Lawrence to GEICO Honda 2019

kiwifan
10/2/2017 1:06pm
Good deal, I suspect he is going to be a real threat in 2019 in SX/MX
10/2/2017 1:09pm
That blows!! I liked seeing that Suzuki up front. I root for underdogs.
David934
10/2/2017 2:40pm
Dont forget who has large share of today performance of HL. Stefan Everts.
10/2/2017 3:00pm Edited Date/Time 10/2/2017 3:01pm
Ok he might not have been on "Seewer's bike", but he definitely had some of his engine hardware. No way a B level RMZ250 starts and runs up hill against 450’s in the mud that well.
And that rider OP is referring to was Osborne, and if you watch it properly you'll see the difference was technique. Straight up Villopoto style he's obviously learnt at Baker's with the mile apon mile of sand rollers. You look at how well Zach's back wheel stays on the ground compared to Hunters

The Shop

Stoop
Fantasy
1021st
10/2/2017 3:16pm Edited Date/Time 10/2/2017 3:28pm
Why wouldn’t Suzuki give Hunter the same bike as Seewer from day 1?
Is this common for factory teams?
Also does anyone one know what happened with Hunter’s contract with Kawasaki last year? Apparently he signed for 4 years and within a year he was riding a Suzuki
Jrewing
10/2/2017 3:23pm
MX Guy wrote:
H-Law!!!
Hey I coined that one!!
CEMX182
10/2/2017 5:00pm
ML512 wrote:
'19 is correct, '18 isn't. He will be in the GPs for '18 and come over in '19...GEICO Honda already has a full-roster for '18 with...
'19 is correct, '18 isn't. He will be in the GPs for '18 and come over in '19...GEICO Honda already has a full-roster for '18 with three riders on each coast.
Take 2: Do you know if Jett is attached to this HRC deal as well? (as they have packaged the two of them together since they had left Australia- Kawasaki 2016 > Suzuki 2017 > HRC 2018+?)
10/2/2017 5:04pm
MX Guy wrote:
H-Law!!!
Jrewing wrote:
Hey I coined that one!!
Move over Jason, there's a new Lawrence in town!
Wish I could photo shop that one
jake424k
Fantasy
3085th
10/2/2017 5:10pm
Lawrence is a great up and coming rider, but I find the length of this contract strange. Taking a rider that has only 1 moto win and finished 9th in points and all of a sudden Honda signs him for 4 YEARS?? Roczen wanted 5 years and they only gave him 3.... He's been bad ass late this season but he really didn't put any solid results together until the last 4 rounds. Just my two cents
Derpin' DJ
Fantasy
2779th
10/2/2017 6:20pm
He was starting to get podiums mid season, but then he injured his back and was out for a few rounds. Took him a bit to get back up to speed
Crush
10/2/2017 7:50pm
jake424k wrote:
Lawrence is a great up and coming rider, but I find the length of this contract strange. Taking a rider that has only 1 moto win...
Lawrence is a great up and coming rider, but I find the length of this contract strange. Taking a rider that has only 1 moto win and finished 9th in points and all of a sudden Honda signs him for 4 YEARS?? Roczen wanted 5 years and they only gave him 3.... He's been bad ass late this season but he really didn't put any solid results together until the last 4 rounds. Just my two cents
I'd suggest signing Lawrence at 4 years for whatever rate is far more cost effective than an extra year for Kenny. I doubt Hunter is commanding a dick-load of cash, they have the leverage, he wants to come to the US.

Don't anyone should worry about his SX skills either.
crusty_xx
Fantasy
207th
10/2/2017 7:51pm
Any news on his brother?
Not sure how good Hunter was in his 85cc days but I've seen Jett ride a couple of times and he's a huge talent as well
captmoto
10/2/2017 8:11pm
Move over Jason, there's a new Lawrence in town!
Wish I could photo shop that one
One that won't constantly be putting his head up his own ass.
mxjon454
10/2/2017 8:53pm
David934 wrote:
Why wouldnt Everts make sure that him and Seewer were on identical bikes? That just seems a bit bizarre that they wouldnt have the same bike when theyre on the factory team. Im sure Geicos bikes or the PC Kawis are all identical. Just seems weird to me, having two good riders but giving one of them lesser equipment.
mxjon454
10/2/2017 8:57pm
jake424k wrote:
Lawrence is a great up and coming rider, but I find the length of this contract strange. Taking a rider that has only 1 moto win...
Hes inly 17 years old and went from the EMX class to winning a GP in a years time. I read on RacerX that Osborne told his team owner (Bobby Hewitt) to watch Hunter and sign him because someones going to. I guess Hewitt was too late as Geico had already got everything in motion.
jake424k
Fantasy
3085th
10/2/2017 9:05pm
jake424k wrote:
Crush wrote:
I'd suggest signing Lawrence at 4 years for whatever rate is far more cost effective than an extra year for Kenny. I doubt Hunter is commanding...
I'd suggest signing Lawrence at 4 years for whatever rate is far more cost effective than an extra year for Kenny. I doubt Hunter is commanding a dick-load of cash, they have the leverage, he wants to come to the US.

Don't anyone should worry about his SX skills either.
That's true I didn't think about the cost part, but I still think signing any 250 rider for 4 years is a risky move. You look at the more recent foreign riders that have come over and tried our SX/MX series' and it's been a really mixed bag. On one hand you have roczen, musquin, ferrandis, Reed, that have had amazing success in the US. On the other hand you have the riders that it didn't really work out for: tonus, anstie, searle, reardon, who never really lived up to their potential over here. Idk, let's hope Lawrence can run up front consistently next year in the GPs
JB479
10/2/2017 9:18pm Edited Date/Time 10/2/2017 10:52pm
Posted this in another thread. The downside to Lawrence is he has never raced sx before. I dont know if he has even ridden on a sx track before. Not saying he wont be good at it straight away but when reed left australia he was already a gun at supercross. At 16 he was beating our top riders in supercross.
GIwasB4
10/2/2017 10:35pm
MX Guy wrote:
H-Law!!!
Jrewing wrote:
Hey I coined that one!!
Imagine the melt down if he'd ran #338......"LATER"

Motofinne
10/2/2017 10:41pm Edited Date/Time 10/2/2017 10:42pm
JB479 wrote:
Posted this in another thread. The downside to Lawrence is he has never raced sx before. I dont know if he has even ridden on a...
Posted this in another thread. The downside to Lawrence is he has never raced sx before. I dont know if he has even ridden on a sx track before. Not saying he wont be good at it straight away but when reed left australia he was already a gun at supercross. At 16 he was beating our top riders in supercross.
I wouldn't worry, he will figure it out if he is the real deal(i think he is).

I would assume that he is going to do some euro SX/AX races to get the feeling of it. They are nothing like a real SX but it's better than nothing.
snowy816
10/2/2017 11:28pm
I think it is more common than you think! An up and comer might be testing parts etc on his race engine for the tier rider! Back in the day Hurley didn't have the same power / engine as Shorty at motoworld suzuki!
10/3/2017 1:58am
Anyone got any info on this new 114 Motorsport Honda team he's gonna ride for next year? Other riders, who is running it etc. Ran a...
Anyone got any info on this new 114 Motorsport Honda team he's gonna ride for next year? Other riders, who is running it etc. Ran a quick google and facebook search with no luck.
MXMattii wrote:
Today Gariboldi runs the HRC program. But that means that you run what HRC wants you to run if we talk about sponsorships. That makes Gariboldi...
Today Gariboldi runs the HRC program. But that means that you run what HRC wants you to run if we talk about sponsorships. That makes Gariboldi a bit unhappy because they have a lot of loyal sponsors and they really wanna do something with them. So Gariboldi and Honda, who are on a very good level with each other made the deal that, HRC world drop the MX2 championship and would give full support, but not HRC support, on the new Garriboldi team.

So Gariboldi will start a new MX2 team with Lawrence and probably also Beaton or Vlaanderen. Also Vaessen will be on Honda next year is the rumor. Gariboldi the Italian saw also the opportunity to work together with Livia Lancelot (the number 114 you know?!). Because she has also a lot of loyal sponsors and who wanna keep doing things in the sport. So they will work together start one team and Livia will lead it. Both teams will see what sponsorships are able to fuse together and tada you have one very strong set up with Honda bikes for little Japanese Money.

The rumor goes by the way that Vaesen dad, a rich Dutch industrial will also start a Honda team with big support so Honda gives twice full support but it is still cheaper than keeping HRC into the MX2 business. On the other hand the rumor goes now also that Suzuki would talk with Vaesen but that are silly rumors I guess.

For all people who think that HSF will run the HRC MX2 team, that will not be the case! HSF shuts down his operation and will only be a sponsors from now on. This because rich people always draw the attention of leeches and that made the operation fall into pieces. That is what been told to me. So long story short. HRC (Martin) Honda closes the doors and two Honda teams will be born: 114 Honda and Vaessen Honda.
Wow that's alot of info, thanks! I actually thought about if Lancelot had anything to do with it since if I remember correctly she has ridden for her own One One Four team or something like that, but I just thought it was a bit far fetched. I also had Vlaanderen in mind as the other rider since he still has a HSF contract and the rumors that he might ride under the team next year somehow in the MX2 class but this would make much more sense.
10/3/2017 3:53am
Well id be slightly concerned as before full HRC involvement the Honda MX2 program was a shambles.

So no HRC could spell issues, but hopefully Geico are supplying engines or alike for Hunter..
10/3/2017 3:58am
snowy816 wrote:
I think it is more common than you think! An up and comer might be testing parts etc on his race engine for the tier rider...
I think it is more common than you think! An up and comer might be testing parts etc on his race engine for the tier rider! Back in the day Hurley didn't have the same power / engine as Shorty at motoworld suzuki!
^^^^ This. One off gear sets, cranks and cylinder heads with hours of adding material and reshaping ports and bench testing costs loads of money and teams have only got so much budget. It's very normal to have higher spec and special components for a rider who is in actual championship contention over a rider fresh out of a development class learning the ropes. Factory ECU's aren't cheap and as everyone on here knows, you can't win races without one. And pizza Wink
10/3/2017 4:07am
darren7878 wrote:
Well id be slightly concerned as before full HRC involvement the Honda MX2 program was a shambles. So no HRC could spell issues, but hopefully Geico...
Well id be slightly concerned as before full HRC involvement the Honda MX2 program was a shambles.

So no HRC could spell issues, but hopefully Geico are supplying engines or alike for Hunter..
shambles? Tell that to Gajser who won the 2015 MX2 title on a Gariboldi honda.... (ok, after herlings was out)
10/3/2017 4:23am
darren7878 wrote:
Well id be slightly concerned as before full HRC involvement the Honda MX2 program was a shambles. So no HRC could spell issues, but hopefully Geico...

shambles? Tell that to Gajser who won the 2015 MX2 title on a Gariboldi honda.... (ok, after herlings was out)
The same guy who said the bike was slow and uncompetitive against the competition.?

Then went 450 as he felt it was not worth trying to defend in mx2 on the Honda.

Oh and HRC were onboard with Gajser. Look at the track record before that!

10/3/2017 4:27am
David934 wrote:
mxjon454 wrote:
Why wouldnt Everts make sure that him and Seewer were on identical bikes? That just seems a bit bizarre that they wouldnt have the same bike...
Why wouldnt Everts make sure that him and Seewer were on identical bikes? That just seems a bit bizarre that they wouldnt have the same bike when theyre on the factory team. Im sure Geicos bikes or the PC Kawis are all identical. Just seems weird to me, having two good riders but giving one of them lesser equipment.
Sometimes 'junior' riders on GP teams do not get all the good parts and spec. They cost money and sometimes its not there to be spent....
Idp57
Fantasy
2571st
10/3/2017 9:04am
Hunter will be coached by Livia Lancelot next year.
So ,NO Kennys dad next year?
Myke
Fantasy
2861st
10/3/2017 9:23am
Hunter will be coached by Livia Lancelot next year.
yak651
Fantasy
168th
10/3/2017 9:32am
That might be the kids downfall!!

Post a reply to: Lawrence to GEICO Honda 2019

The Latest