My California motocross vacation...

ben990
Edited Date/Time 1/26/2016 9:31pm
I live in cold and (sometimes) snowy western NY, and my girlfriend and I are headed to LA for a week's vacation in February. I plan on doing the REM race at Glen Helen on Saturday February 13, and then hopefully getting to San Diego to watch the Supercross that night.

I also plan on heading to Milestone for practice on Wednesday, February 17th.

I plan on renting a bike from California Motocross Vacations for both of the days I will be riding.

Will the REM race be over in time for me to get to the Supercross race? I heard they end their races early.

What are the best "motocross" spots worth visiting around the LA area? Any other must-see places?

|
40Plus_922mx
1/26/2016 12:33pm
Usually the racing at REM is done by early afternoon. If you jam straight to SD (about 3 hours) you should be fine in order to make the race.

Here are some good suggestions while in So Cal.

Hit up Pole Position in Corona for a few laps.

See if you can get a tour of Pro Circuit also in Corona.

Stop by Chaparral in San Bernardino to see the largest MC retailer in the US.

Find an IN-N-OUT and get a double Double Animal and Animal Fires.

Hope this helps. Have fun!
Ted722
1/26/2016 12:56pm
Sounds like a cool vacation with a little moto too. I've always wanted to ride LACR. Looks like they have open practice that weekend.
Premix
1/26/2016 1:47pm
So I'm curious as well. I'll be in the bay area for a wedding this summer. Anything up around there as far as rental packages or is everything pretty well contained to so-cal. Sorry to hijack your thread!
TeamGreen
1/26/2016 1:59pm
Go to Troy Lee Designs in Corona. Troy's office is right on the showroom. Steal a can of Red Bull & get him to sign it!

Try the Tilted Kilt in Temecula on Thursday to see your favorite Bachelor racer lookin' for his 1st wife.

Go to PC & ask to meet Mitch.

Go to FMF & ask to meet Don, Little D, Danny & George.

Go to DRD and meet Doug, he'll probably put you to work...which is ALWAYS a riot.

Tuesday at Starwest.
Weds at Milestone.
Thurs on a hill in Corona.

Buy whatever it is you want while you're out here. Hell, buy a bike & ship it home.
Stay close to the track on San Diego (Bayside Hilton is SUPERIOR to the Hipster G'lamp Hilton...well...unless you party EXTREMELY HARD!)
Drink the Good Stuff: you're worth it.

The Shop

Zycki11
1/26/2016 2:05pm
Usually the racing at REM is done by early afternoon. If you jam straight to SD (about 3 hours) you should be fine in order to...
Usually the racing at REM is done by early afternoon. If you jam straight to SD (about 3 hours) you should be fine in order to make the race.

Here are some good suggestions while in So Cal.

Hit up Pole Position in Corona for a few laps.

See if you can get a tour of Pro Circuit also in Corona.

Stop by Chaparral in San Bernardino to see the largest MC retailer in the US.

Find an IN-N-OUT and get a double Double Animal and Animal Fires.

Hope this helps. Have fun!
I recommend the IN-N-Out next to Pro Circuit, absolutely nothing better having them right next to one another!
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
1/26/2016 2:08pm
Glen Helen to SD is a bit far. If your worried about time, just ride Pala or Chauhilla Creek which are much closer.

Visit In and Out for lunch! Animals Style fries on the secret menu, you just gotta ask.

Chaparral and TLD are really cool and pretty close to everything moto wise.
moto314
1/26/2016 2:19pm
Malcolm Smith Motorsports has some vintage bikes on display upstairs, worth a quick stop.
iudi2006
Fantasy
229th
1/26/2016 3:26pm
I recommend that you don't do any riding on the day of the race. Unless you just want to get to the race and not go to the party in the pits and watch practice. The drive to San Diego sometimes is longer than expected and its always better to chill and have some beers earlier in the day.
1/26/2016 6:16pm
How much would you guys pay to ride at one of them test tracks? A thousand dollars, maybe five hundred?
captmoto
1/26/2016 7:57pm
moto314 wrote:
Malcolm Smith Motorsports has some vintage bikes on display upstairs, worth a quick stop.
Buy the Malcolm Smith book. On Any Sunday dvd and get him to autograph both.
dkg
1/26/2016 9:31pm
Glen Helen to SD is a bit far. If your worried about time, just ride Pala or Chauhilla Creek which are much closer. Visit In and...
Glen Helen to SD is a bit far. If your worried about time, just ride Pala or Chauhilla Creek which are much closer.

Visit In and Out for lunch! Animals Style fries on the secret menu, you just gotta ask.

Chaparral and TLD are really cool and pretty close to everything moto wise.
It is probably 2:15 to San Diego from Glen Helen. I drive it regularly. I'd suggest getting Fastrack so you can take the toll lanes if you hit traffic. Also don't bother trying to park down town. Either stay in a hotel near the stadium or park and take the trolley in.

Post a reply to: My California motocross vacation...

The Latest