Need rib surgery advice

jtruck
Edited Date/Time 1/31/2019 8:21pm
I had a crash last weekend and broke 10 rib and collar bone, my ? Is has anyone had there ribs screwed back together with the ti plates and how did it turn out, thanks
|
BAD10
8/18/2017 1:35pm
All i can say is OUCH!!!Dry I broke two ribs clear in half a few months back and that was terrible. But ten ribs.........that are requiring surgery?? OMFG!!
rubarb
8/18/2017 1:48pm Edited Date/Time 8/18/2017 1:48pm
I did the same, exactly the same, plus some additional bone snappage (earlier this year). Some ribs were even broken in multiple places. They plated the collar bone and left the ribs to heal on their own. Didn't sound like piecing ribs back together is a common procedure, just what I heard
swedishfishmx
Fantasy
3801st
8/18/2017 1:56pm Edited Date/Time 8/18/2017 1:56pm
Man that sounds brutal! Good luck!
Swann
8/18/2017 2:20pm Edited Date/Time 8/18/2017 2:21pm
It ultimately depends on how displaced the broken ribs are. If your surgeon wants to plate them, I'd take his advice. I broke my clavicle about a month ago and had it plated and felt awesome within a week. Plating broken bones is almost always better than waiting for them to heal on their own (some broken bones don't have the choice). With ribs and clavicles, some surgeons will suggest you let them heal on their own. Any form of surgery is always risky. I would personally always opt for plating and accelerated healing. Mentally it's healthier.

The Shop

Wickstrand
8/18/2017 2:46pm
I crashed a few years back and badly broke two ribs in my back. Pain was brutal, had them plated and zero regrets. Photo during surgery with surgeon's iPhone.

Motoxdoc
8/18/2017 2:53pm Edited Date/Time 8/18/2017 2:56pm
Did you break your 10th rib....or 10 ribs? One is 10 times worse than the other! 10 ribs on the same side....sounds like a unilateral flailed rib cage. Either way...hardware to hold ribs in place is not very common in motocross injuries. I don't have experience with that. The good news is that the ribs and clavicle are relatively small bones and have a great blood supply, which means they heal fast. Hope you have a comfortable recliner to sleep in....cause I know you're not sleeping flat with this injury. Not a lot of advice for this one. If there is a large gap between the break surfaces and the doc recommends hardware, I'd probably go with that. Otherwise, what's called palliative care....whatever makes it feel good; ice, shallow breathes, and sleep in a chair. However, you don't want to breathe too shallow because when you don't use the full capacity of your lungs for a long enough period of time, you risk developing pneumonia. Good luck on your recovery!
jwoltz
8/18/2017 3:13pm
I broke ribs 10/11/12 this summer as well. Was a tough road. Cannot imagine 10 ribs total. I hope what ever you end up doing goes very well and your back at it.
harescrambled
Fantasy
1942nd
8/18/2017 3:23pm
jtruck wrote:
I had a crash last weekend and broke 10 rib and collar bone, my ? Is has anyone had there ribs screwed back together with the...
I had a crash last weekend and broke 10 rib and collar bone, my ? Is has anyone had there ribs screwed back together with the ti plates and how did it turn out, thanks
My best advice is do what the doc recommends. BTW...10 broken ribs is enough to make the entire thoracic region unstable, which can lead to all sorts of other problems. That's probably why the doc wants to plate them...just to stabilize your thorax.
JRT812
8/18/2017 3:42pm
I have no advice as far as surgery goes. Ribs by far were one of the most painful things I've experienced. Never required surgery though. Wish you the best my friend.
Forty
8/18/2017 3:55pm
Yikes! I broke one rib and cracked another in a first turn dust up and I howled like a girl. 10 broken ribs. Jesus wept!
smoothies862
Fantasy
676th
8/18/2017 4:46pm
I have about 3 or 4 rib injuries. bad habit of tucking arm.like a boxer guarding a body shot. no fun. 4 was the most. some green stick fractures other just bad bruising. they all sucked lol. good luck hope you come around quick. also don't go anywhere near pepper or look at the sun. sneezing will make a man tell the truth with bad ribsBlink
oshow
8/18/2017 4:55pm Edited Date/Time 8/18/2017 4:58pm
jtruck wrote:
I had a crash last weekend and broke 10 rib and collar bone, my ? Is has anyone had there ribs screwed back together with the...
That has to be painful as hell. I fractured 1 rib #7 and hurt my shoulder in May and I still feel it
oshow
8/18/2017 4:56pm
Wickstrand wrote:
I crashed a few years back and badly broke two ribs in my back. Pain was brutal, had them plated and zero regrets. Photo during surgery...
I crashed a few years back and badly broke two ribs in my back. Pain was brutal, had them plated and zero regrets. Photo during surgery with surgeon's iPhone.

Wow ... did he ask before he put you under?
8/18/2017 5:03pm
Get them plated, look up synthes matrixrib system they have excellent results you will heal much faster with less pain.
kkawboy14
8/18/2017 5:21pm
Woah I've had 3 at one time.....man don't laugh, cough or breath!
8/18/2017 5:50pm
In July of 2016 I had a pretty bad crash and broke 13 ribs, 9 on mine left, 4 on my right. Also broke my left clavicle, my sternum, collapsed both lungs, and a concussion. I had 4 of my ribs plated, has some of those where broken in multiple places. After the surgery I didn't have much pain but I have limited motion in my left shoulder. Even after months of PT, I still only have 70% motion.

Even 13 months after my accident, I don't experience any pain from my ribs, just stiffness in my left shoulder. Age might have something to do with this, as I was 49 when it happened. I was back to work 4 months after my surgery, so if you can't afford to miss to much work, I would get the the surgery done.

Hope this helps. If you have any questions just PM me. Best of luck to ya!

Wickstrand
8/18/2017 8:29pm
oshow wrote:
Wow ... did he ask before he put you under?
Yes, I requested it
jtruck
8/19/2017 6:42am
Thanks guys, your comments are very helpfull
medh
10/12/2018 6:00pm
Did you get the surgery? I broke 8 ribs and had 5 ribs plated in August 2018. Looking to find folks who have undergone same surgery to find out about what is normal after surgery. I'm experiencing tightness in surgery area 2 months after procedure.
12/12/2018 12:20pm
jtruck wrote:
Could I ask you how you are now after your rib plating ? I had 2ribs plated in the summer of this year . Still struggling after having 6 crushed when i had a horse riding accident. They are so stiff and tight still . Lots of equestrian s have broken ribs can't find anyone who's had plating . Smile
TXDirt
12/12/2018 12:31pm
Sooo many first time posters in this thread. hmmm......
medh
12/12/2018 2:36pm
jtruck wrote:
Could I ask you how you are now after your rib plating ? I had 2ribs plated in the summer of this year . Still struggling...
Could I ask you how you are now after your rib plating ? I had 2ribs plated in the summer of this year . Still struggling after having 6 crushed when i had a horse riding accident. They are so stiff and tight still . Lots of equestrian s have broken ribs can't find anyone who's had plating . Smile
Tightness where I got plated has subsided but still feel it especially in morning or after walking a lot. Still feel the tightness when breathing deeply but can breathe deeply. Still some discomfort sleeping but nothing like it had been. Hope you are healing ok.
12/13/2018 4:08am
jtruck wrote:
Could I ask you how you are now after your rib plating ? I had 2ribs plated in the summer of this year . Still struggling...
medh wrote:
Tightness where I got plated has subsided but still feel it especially in morning or after walking a lot. Still feel the tightness when breathing deeply...
Tightness where I got plated has subsided but still feel it especially in morning or after walking a lot. Still feel the tightness when breathing deeply but can breathe deeply. Still some discomfort sleeping but nothing like it had been. Hope you are healing ok.
Good to know it's improved . Mine is always better in the am but worse mid afternoon to early evening . I'm a lot better than I was Thank you. Hope you are too . Worse pain ever . Glad they did plate me though as the grinding and ribs moving about was awful before i the op . Which was 12 days after my accident . Thanks for replying.
medh
1/12/2019 5:04am
Hi everyone. I broke 8 ribs in aug 2018 and got 5 plated. Just two days ago - 4 months later - I have extreme shortness of breath and pain breathing. Turns out I have old bloody fluid in lung area. I haven’t had any trauma since. They are draining it now. Anyone experience this after plating?
jeffro503
1/12/2019 7:01am
" Whitecrow wrote : " In July of 2016 I had a pretty bad crash and broke 13 ribs, 9 on mine left, 4 on my right. Also broke my left clavicle, my sternum, collapsed both lungs, and a concussion. I had 4 of my ribs plated, has some of those where broken in multiple places. After the surgery I didn't have much pain but I have limited motion in my left shoulder. Even after months of PT, I still only have 70% motion.

Even 13 months after my accident, I don't experience any pain from my ribs, just stiffness in my left shoulder. Age might have something to do with this, as I was 49 when it happened. I was back to work 4 months after my surgery, so if you can't afford to miss to much work, I would get the the surgery done.

Hope this helps. If you have any questions just PM me. Best of luck to ya!
"

Man , this sounds so much like the injuries I had. Like almost exactly the same. Only difference was that my right lung got a hole put in it from one of my ribs. My sternum was completely separated and I lost about 1" off the end of my middle finger and crushed part of my hand on my left side. My ribs were basically shattered on my left side and had also broke quite a few on the left side , along with some on the left side , in the back. I had a total of about 30 breaks. I had double chest tubes put in and was in ICU for the first 5 days strapped to some big breathing machine ( which was a nightmare ). I never did get any of my ribs plated , but after 13 years , I'm wondering if they should have? I have a couple areas that still feel like they " Catch " on something , and they randomly bug me here and there , but nothing I can't live with.

I know this is an old post by Jtruck , I just never saw this post. My bad wreck happened at the ripe ol' age of 38 years old. Hope all you guy's heal up right from your injuries.
jeffro503
1/12/2019 7:07am
medh wrote:
Hi everyone. I broke 8 ribs in aug 2018 and got 5 plated. Just two days ago - 4 months later - I have extreme shortness...
Hi everyone. I broke 8 ribs in aug 2018 and got 5 plated. Just two days ago - 4 months later - I have extreme shortness of breath and pain breathing. Turns out I have old bloody fluid in lung area. I haven’t had any trauma since. They are draining it now. Anyone experience this after plating?
I never did. Hopefully it's not that big of a deal , and they get it figured out. That's strange that you didn't get an infection from it , as I was told by the doctor when I was in I started having symptom's of ammonia from the liquid in my lungs. So what I'm saying is , if you didn't get sick , you should be in great shape after. Good luck dude and keep us posted.
1/12/2019 7:12am
Ask for a lidocaine patch for the pain. It will help to actually take care of the pain, rather than narcotics that will just make you high and increase your chances of pneumonia because they will slow your breathing down. You already won't be breathing as deep due to the pain.
1/12/2019 7:35am
I talked with an ER doctor after it happened to my dad and he said your risk of mortality increases by 10% for each rib that you break if you're over the age of 65. I think my dad was 58 at the time
ob
1/12/2019 7:58am
Painful thread

Post a reply to: Need rib surgery advice

The Latest