Newbie Question About Jumping

huck
1/24/2012 1:25pm
ktm46 wrote:
I have a KTM 250 2 stroke. When I hit bigger jumps -- doubles, triples, even tabletops, the front wants to nosedive. What would cause this...
I have a KTM 250 2 stroke. When I hit bigger jumps -- doubles, triples, even tabletops, the front wants to nosedive. What would cause this? Is it too much de-acceleration on the jump face? I have only been riding mx for a year and admit that I have a tendency to let off the gas on the jump face and sort of coast off of the lip. Common sense tells me that by coasting off I am essentially "falling" of the jump instead of launching off of it. Is my thinking correct?

Thanks for the help.
BobbyM wrote:
i wanna see how many losers actually take this guys question seriously.

how many losers we got so far?

sorry old mate.Wink
RandyS wrote:
What are we missing, do you and fuck actually spend so much time living for a message board that you can instantly tell when someone is...
What are we missing, do you and fuck actually spend so much time living for a message board that you can instantly tell when someone is fucking around? Cuz if that post is someone like Ringer that is a pretty sad attempt at being funny. On the other hand if it's someone looking for advice who asked nicely and wasn't an asshat why fuck with him?
Seems you mistakenly mistyped my name.... I'm sure it was an honest mistake!
DavidR
1/24/2012 1:26pm
Unlock your hips.
1/24/2012 1:44pm
This is an obvious fishing thread. I guess since the TITS-prohibition has started, IQ's have suddenly dropped. Fucking idiots some of you are.

The Shop

1/24/2012 1:49pm
This is an obvious fishing thread. I guess since the TITS-prohibition has started, IQ's have suddenly dropped. Fucking idiots some of you are.
Shoot, no spelling mistakes. I've got nothing. Laughing
mxking6
1/24/2012 2:21pm
ktm46 wrote:
I have a KTM 250 2 stroke. When I hit bigger jumps -- doubles, triples, even tabletops, the front wants to nosedive. What would cause this...
I have a KTM 250 2 stroke. When I hit bigger jumps -- doubles, triples, even tabletops, the front wants to nosedive. What would cause this? Is it too much de-acceleration on the jump face? I have only been riding mx for a year and admit that I have a tendency to let off the gas on the jump face and sort of coast off of the lip. Common sense tells me that by coasting off I am essentially "falling" of the jump instead of launching off of it. Is my thinking correct?

Thanks for the help.
Keep the rubber side down and the shinny side up......
RandyS
1/24/2012 2:49pm
BobbyM wrote:

sorry old mate.Wink
RandyS wrote:
What are we missing, do you and fuck actually spend so much time living for a message board that you can instantly tell when someone is...
What are we missing, do you and fuck actually spend so much time living for a message board that you can instantly tell when someone is fucking around? Cuz if that post is someone like Ringer that is a pretty sad attempt at being funny. On the other hand if it's someone looking for advice who asked nicely and wasn't an asshat why fuck with him?
huck wrote:
Seems you mistakenly mistyped my name.... I'm sure it was an honest mistake!
F and H are only one button away, it's plausible that it could have happened.
WhKnuckle
1/24/2012 3:02pm
Also, when you hit the face of the jump, push with your arms and legs to extend your body above the bike, and when the bike goes off the lip, flex your legs and let it float up below you and let the seat just touch your butt at the highest point in the flight. Stay loose and let the bike float. And as SoCal said, keep the throttle steady and try to stay centered over your feet. If you're balanced on the ground, you'll be balanced in the air.

If you have a no-link KTM, make sure your rebound damping and sag are set correctly - they're real touchy on those bikes.
BobbyM
1/25/2012 10:21am
ktm46 wrote:

Thanks for the help.
BobbyM wrote:

sorry old mate.Wink
RandyS wrote:
not that you would know but it doesn't take too many smarts to figure it out pretty quickly. i can do it in just one or two posts, the average brain about 5 posts and some of you ignorant fucks may never figure it out. next...
Old Mate
1/25/2012 11:59am
Wow Bobby,your a hero!
tylerthetrex
3/13/2012 11:26am
ktm46 wrote:

Thanks for the help.
Your weight, throttle control and maybe even your brakes are playing a factor.

You might want to try getting on the back of the bike going through jumps but if thats not the case then you are probably letting off the gas to soon. I had a problem with that too when I was on 85s. Good way to fix that is hold the throttle in the same spot until you hit the rev limiter or you can see you are high enough to let off.

A major problem I had last year was when I crashed my CRF250R in a race and it was a lot slower than pre-crash and kept nose diving in the air. I thought it was the temperature and the jetting was off or the fuel mapping or something that was causing the bike to lug. I found out about a week later when I put a new rear tire on. I spun the wheel to check it was on alright when I noticed it was really difficult to spin the wheel. Turns out in the crash I bent my rear brake disc and it was dragging. It wasn't horribly bent but I was pretty lucky it didn't lock up and stall in the air.

It was a pretty odd incident and i doubt that is the case with you but you might want to check that to as well.
tylerthetrex
3/13/2012 11:33am
huck wrote:
Pull the front brake in the air. It's spinning too much and causing the front to drop.
petie11o5 wrote:
That's real nice to tell the kid. Do not pull the front brake in, it will drop your front end even more. Even when you are...
That's real nice to tell the kid. Do not pull the front brake in, it will drop your front end even more. Even when you are nose high you should never pull in the front brake it is bad for the bike. The front wheel should always rotate while you are in the air.
MotoChief wrote:
Anyone riding a 250 and jumping "bigger jumps -- doubles, triples, even tabletops" that needs help to understand what to do in the fucking air on...
Anyone riding a 250 and jumping "bigger jumps -- doubles, triples, even tabletops" that needs help to understand what to do in the fucking air on a bike that is nose down deserves what he gets if he takes advice from an internet message board. And if he does not understand the basics of bike physics, he has no place even riding that bike, much less jumping "bigger jumps -- doubles, triples, even tabletops"
Ease up a bit guys. In local races doubles and even some triples can only be like 50, 60ft. He is a new rider and that must be some of the 'bigger jumps' for him.

It sure would help you ktm46 if you told these guys what class you race in and if you can measure the jumps. Just some support to back the 'new rider' alias.
tylerthetrex
3/13/2012 3:47pm
huck wrote:
Pull the front brake in the air. It's spinning too much and causing the front to drop.
petie11o5 wrote:
That's real nice to tell the kid. Do not pull the front brake in, it will drop your front end even more. Even when you are...
That's real nice to tell the kid. Do not pull the front brake in, it will drop your front end even more. Even when you are nose high you should never pull in the front brake it is bad for the bike. The front wheel should always rotate while you are in the air.
how is it bad for the bike?
It lowers it just as well but unlike the rear wheel it can't start going again till you hit the ground. The front tire will just lock up and continue to lower, probably past what you wanted.
4/24/2012 6:56pm
Seat time, practice and ride as much as you can!! Stay smooth with the trottle and avoid being erratic. Once your comfortable you will be jumping without thinking twice.
- also check out the "riding tips" on transworlds website.
anto3232
5/6/2012 9:45am Edited Date/Time 5/6/2012 9:47am
check your suspension out man. its pretty obv this is a legit question, you guys are retarded for thinking hes trolling.
suzuki rider
5/10/2012 4:55pm
NetMXer wrote:
In addition to changing your technique, make sure you have your suspension set up correctly. Too much rebound damping on the forks or too little on...
In addition to changing your technique, make sure you have your suspension set up correctly. Too much rebound damping on the forks or too little on the rear will cause the same symptom.
this

this happened to me a lot and i tried everything, then i adjusted my suspension and its so nice now. your bike manual probably tells you this, but if you stand level on the bike, and press down on the foot pegs(not the handlebars!!!(at all!)) and like jolt it down or whatever, the front and bike suspension should compress evenly and the bike will stay level as it compresses. If this does not happen, and either the front or rear goes lower or goes down first, then adjust the suspension accordingly to make it even.

Post a reply to: Newbie Question About Jumping

The Latest