Another Ken Roczen Update: Latest Elbow Surgery

TSCHAM101
1/21/2017 10:34pm
To be honest, who cares about the arm. Just hope the guys head is already.. arms will eventually heal may force retirement for some, but the brain that is not replaceable..

Some of you guys on here have blown my mind with how low some of guys can get. Throwing low blows at a man down.. (like punching a guy that's for sure knocked out).
That crash was nasty. One of the worst I have seen. Sad .
cali11
1/21/2017 10:35pm
joe412 wrote:
If it's a forearm maybe aldon can sell him a 4arm strong
Wise ass
Cancerman
1/21/2017 10:36pm
Not only the arm, but man, his whole body as well as his head, slammed the face of that roller. Hope it's just the arm, and no concussion or internal stuff. He's tough though. Dungey said in the post race that the track had a lot of kickers and ruts. Said he was in survival mode last couple laps.

The Shop

Suzuki7
1/21/2017 10:37pm
Gale19XX wrote:
That was a bad get off. The whole aura changed on the broadcast the second he went down.
It really did I agree
PEPE001
1/21/2017 10:39pm
TSCHAM101 wrote:
To be honest, who cares about the arm. Just hope the guys head is already.. arms will eventually heal may force retirement for some, but the...
To be honest, who cares about the arm. Just hope the guys head is already.. arms will eventually heal may force retirement for some, but the brain that is not replaceable..

Some of you guys on here have blown my mind with how low some of guys can get. Throwing low blows at a man down.. (like punching a guy that's for sure knocked out).
+1
Motodave15
1/21/2017 10:40pm Edited Date/Time 1/21/2017 10:54pm
../ kinda a double post.. disregard
Racer111
1/21/2017 10:41pm
twotwosix wrote:
Over-confidence, feeling invincible and a split second lack of focus. I hope it's a simple break and he can get it in a cast and get...
Over-confidence, feeling invincible and a split second lack of focus.

I hope it's a simple break and he can get it in a cast and get back out there, ala TP199. Praying for a fast recovery for Kenny.
Motodave15 wrote:
there was no lack of focus....thats from that damn kicker in the face.. he did it the lap before, but it did not kick him as...
there was no lack of focus....thats from that damn kicker in the face.. he did it the lap before, but it did not kick him as bad...the next lap boom
Yes, lack of focus. I can't tell you how many people I saw hit the exact same line AFTER Ken did with no one else going down.

Ken was probably looking too far forward down the race track. Heal soon, Ken.
tk2stroke
1/21/2017 10:41pm Edited Date/Time 1/21/2017 10:43pm
I watched Reed, Musquin, and other riders hit what seemed to be the exact same spots on the track. Reed's bike had no problem navigating the compression and the kicker, and Musquin's bike seemed to get thrown a bit, but nothing like Roczen's.

If you look at the video in slow-mo, Roczen's rear shock is fully compressed upon landing and then continues to be fully compressed as he leaves the jump and encounters the kicker. The resulting kick was massive as the shock was fully packed and it had no remaining dampening available to help whatsoever.

Now that we've seen this twice with Roczen on the Honda (MEC and A2), I wondering if there is a inherent flaw with the new design of the rear shock. Honda lowered the shock to accomodate the intake track, did they reduce the length of the shock shaft, or make some other possible compromise?

At the level and speed Roczen is riding, it's conceivable that the 1st generation design is a factor in what we are witnessing and kRoc is being Honda's test pilot.
Moto520
1/21/2017 10:43pm Edited Date/Time 1/21/2017 11:19pm
I hope he heals quickly and it's just the arm.

Can some of you just be decent human beings and show some compassion for gods sake? Some real shit heads on this site. You ever crash and get jacked up like that? Most of us that actually ride have and I can only imagine what's going on in Roczens head right now. The pain was probably ridiculous. He's probably just worried for his health and his mind is running through the crash. He's somebody's son and his parents are probably worried sick. What if that was you laying there with people pointlesssly commenting about how his cockiness and over confidence caused this. Just keep your fingers crossed that this young man is not permanently messed up.....then you can go back to making the sarcastic, compassionless comments like before.

Note....the negative comments got changed or removed!
3rdgearpinned
1/21/2017 10:43pm Edited Date/Time 1/21/2017 10:44pm
There's always hangtown. Grats dungey on the 17' title. Get well soon Kenny.
DFWracefan
1/21/2017 10:44pm
I hate to see ANYONE get hurt...period.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
1/21/2017 10:44pm
It was ugly in person. I don't think tv does the crash justice. The vibe at the stadium totally changed instantly.
Meister
1/21/2017 10:45pm
Your over analyzing.
ML512
Fantasy
36th
1/21/2017 10:46pm
tk2stroke wrote:
I watched Reed, Musquin, and other riders hit what seemed to be the exact same spots on the track. Reed's bike had no problem navigating the...
I watched Reed, Musquin, and other riders hit what seemed to be the exact same spots on the track. Reed's bike had no problem navigating the compression and the kicker, and Musquin's bike seemed to get thrown a bit, but nothing like Roczen's.

If you look at the video in slow-mo, Roczen's rear shock is fully compressed upon landing and then continues to be fully compressed as he leaves the jump and encounters the kicker. The resulting kick was massive as the shock was fully packed and it had no remaining dampening available to help whatsoever.

Now that we've seen this twice with Roczen on the Honda (MEC and A2), I wondering if there is a inherent flaw with the new design of the rear shock. Honda lowered the shock to accomodate the intake track, did they reduce the length of the shock shaft, or make some other possible compromise?

At the level and speed Roczen is riding, it's conceivable that the 1st generation design is a factor in what we are witnessing and kRoc is being Honda's test pilot.
I'll dip in some info here that should hopefully help you understand what happened. At MEC, Ken overshot the first rhythm in this section, compressing the suspension heavily and causing it to pop weird for the next set, which he then cased after losing his pop, then endo-ing off the third...

Tonight, he landed a little deep off the first rhythm, into a rut, blowing the shock through the stroke right as the bike hit a very abrupt triple face (a few guys had similar bucks with the abruptness of this lip).

Another factor, in my opinion, on why the reaction was so severe is Ken typically likes softer settings (from what I've been told by both his prior teams) which could compound this reaction.

Lastly, the bike itself wouldn't have a "flaw" in my opinion. The linkage ratio on this bike has been modified to match up to a near equal value of the previous models (well within the range of what other manufactures use). Their shock travel/stroke length wasn't compromised with the change either.
1/21/2017 10:52pm
I feel bad for Kenny.

The track bit him is the ass tonight in a bad way. Motocross is such a mental sport and when you are on it feels like a magical high. The unfortunate part of that is the "magic" is like an addiction. We've seen it numerous times over the past few years. It's bitten James, Eli, Reed, RV, Pastrana, and now Kenny. The riders that have learned to modulate it over time like Carmichael, McGrath, and Dungey have been the most consistently successful. They learned to straddle the line between a high and an overdose.

Motocross is a bad drug.
tk2stroke
1/21/2017 10:54pm
ML512 wrote:
I'll dip in some info here that should hopefully help you understand what happened. At MEC, Ken overshot the first rhythm in this section, compressing the...
I'll dip in some info here that should hopefully help you understand what happened. At MEC, Ken overshot the first rhythm in this section, compressing the suspension heavily and causing it to pop weird for the next set, which he then cased after losing his pop, then endo-ing off the third...

Tonight, he landed a little deep off the first rhythm, into a rut, blowing the shock through the stroke right as the bike hit a very abrupt triple face (a few guys had similar bucks with the abruptness of this lip).

Another factor, in my opinion, on why the reaction was so severe is Ken typically likes softer settings (from what I've been told by both his prior teams) which could compound this reaction.

Lastly, the bike itself wouldn't have a "flaw" in my opinion. The linkage ratio on this bike has been modified to match up to a near equal value of the previous models (well within the range of what other manufactures use). Their shock travel/stroke length wasn't compromised with the change either.
Good point. His tendency to go with softer settings seemingly could be the primary factor in his shock's inability to recover or have any additional dampening available to lessen the kick. However, the possibility of there being a flaw is conceivable. I'd personally would love to know and confirm whether the travel and linkage ratio's are the same as previous years, in addition to if there are other geometry changes/factors at play.
1/21/2017 10:55pm
Just seen this picture on instagram. Compound fracture maybe? See the blood spot on his jersey. That was one of the worst crashes I've seen. Gutted for the guy right now. He is in sone serious pain. Prayers to Kenny for a successful recovery.

jeffro503
ocscottie wrote:
Word from Honda: broken lower arm for Roczen
Had a feeling that was what was going on. Kenny looked to be in some serious pain. God damn what a bummer.
yzjs7
Damn I'm gutted for him as he was riding on another level. This sport sucks sometimes and I never want to see anyone wreck like that.
gnarwhip
1/21/2017 10:56pm
One thing that is kind of a positive: this is the first serious concussion (I'm just speculating but it looked like a bad concussion) that he has had in his pro career that I know of. It becomes worse when you've had several concussions. Personally I've had 5 bad concussions and my dome still works pretty good, so I think his head will be fine long term hopefully
ML512
Fantasy
36th
1/21/2017 10:57pm
tk2stroke wrote:
Good point. His tendency to go with softer settings seemingly could be the primary factor in his shock's inability to recover or have any additional dampening...
Good point. His tendency to go with softer settings seemingly could be the primary factor in his shock's inability to recover or have any additional dampening available to lessen the kick. However, the possibility of there being a flaw is conceivable. I'd personally would love to know and confirm whether the travel and linkage ratio's are the same as previous years, in addition to if there are other geometry changes/factors at play.
The linkage ratio is within a 1% difference of the previous models (I've seen the linkage ratio measured for myself), by comparison, the KTMs are way off any of the Japanese models curve....

As for the shock... Yes, the total length of the unit shorter. This is due to a much shorter clevis and using up some of the dead space inside the shock. All said and done, the total stroke length is only about 2-3mms difference. Yamaha has had shorter stroke lengths than this recently. Hell, some tuners place 10mm plates in their shocks to lower them and remove more stroke length than Honda did with this all new shock.
tk2stroke
1/21/2017 10:58pm
This is now twice in 4 races where a similar type get off has occurred. I don't remember KROC having a single similar style get-off in his 2 years on the zook or during his time with KTM.

Hoping Kenny will be ok and will have a speedy recovery.
tempura
1/21/2017 10:58pm
Awful to watch.. Really gutted for the young man..
I wish him a full, speedy recovery.
This sport is full of risks and can bite ya at any time.
jeffro503
1/21/2017 10:59pm
TSCHAM101 wrote:
To be honest, who cares about the arm. Just hope the guys head is already.. arms will eventually heal may force retirement for some, but the...

PEPE001 wrote:
+1
+2....I have been rooting for someone to bring it to Kenny this season , because of some of the shit he has said in the past few months. But damn it , I hate seeing a dude go down like that. Felt really gutted for him. Banged and bruised is one thing , but this?.....I hate seeing that shit , and I wish him a good and fast recovery. get well soon Kenny.
JeepnMike
1/21/2017 11:00pm
WFO! wrote:
shattered elbow
I am guessing compound fracture of the lower arm. They spent way too much time on the mule stabilizing something before moving off of the track for it to be a typical broken bone. Just guessing as well, sad for Ken. Our season just got typical
level
1/21/2017 11:02pm
I was worried about that head. He hit hard.
APerry151
Kinda confirms my belief that you can't sustain that level for long. It seems like when a guy reaches the level Kenny was on where they're pushing so hard these things happen. And it always seems to be a kicker or a bump that does it. (Roczen,Tomac outdoors, Reed in 2011 and 2012, Stew numerous times, etc. ) Don't know if it's the invincible feeling they get where they just keep sending it when it's rough and sketchy or simply what a mental lapse at that speed looks like, but it usually ends pretty bad.
tprice07
kzizok wrote:
As strange as this may sound, Kenny's last two ejections look like he is getting tossed moreso that his bike getting tossed. Meaning, to me, it...
As strange as this may sound, Kenny's last two ejections look like he is getting tossed moreso that his bike getting tossed. Meaning, to me, it doesn't appear his bike is the main culprit of him getting bucked off. Maybe its just what it looks like in the replays.
Every time Roczen crashes he seems to be looking for a way to jump. He pulls his feet off the pegs immediately. The second you pull the feet off the pegs everything unloads and you go flying!

I may not be good at racing but I am decent at crashing. He should grip with his knees/legs and hang on to those bars when this stuff happens.
Thirteen-II
After that crash, that was the quietest stadium I've ever heard. Even the commentators were taken aback by it.

Post a reply to: Another Ken Roczen Update: Latest Elbow Surgery

The Latest