Recommendation for Biking around San Diego

RACERX69
Edited Date/Time 5/31/2017 5:40pm
Hey Guy's

I'll be in San Diego(Gas Lamp Quarter) this week on business and will have my Mountain Bike in tow. Not planning to do any trail riding, just want to ride from the hotel and hopefully find some scenic Urban riding. Are there any biking paths that parallel the ocean/bay area that would fit the bill? Also, I'll have a car, so if I need to haul the bike, that's not a problem either.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated. Thanks!
|
ob
5/29/2017 8:46am
There is a bike route the runs out to Coronado island that is a good one. Cruise out there and grab some food. There is also another one that runs the other direction around the bay up towards the airport, I have never ridden that one but I'm sure it would be fun with all the crazy sights around the bay, huge navy vessels and whatnot. SD is very bike friendly in my opinion and that's from somebody who use to live in Portland.
casper
5/29/2017 9:38am
Not sure how far you want to ride, but you can also take a nice ride out to the Cabrillo Monument. You could ride from Downtown, or you can drive a little bit to a Peets Coffee and ride just Point Loma. There are views of the Pacific on one side, and down town/Coronado Island on the other.

BAMX
5/29/2017 10:50am Edited Date/Time 5/29/2017 10:51am
There is a nice path on the edge of San diego bay by where you will be staying. Also, I would suggest taking the ferry over to Coronado Island (you can take your bike for free, it leaves from next to the Midway) There is a nice path along Coronado island. Also, there is a nice path system around Mission Bay. That would require a car ride.
Swann
5/29/2017 11:23am Edited Date/Time 5/29/2017 11:26am
You can ride all over downtown and/or along the harbor. Or take the ferry over to Coronado with your bike then ride over to the South end of Coronado for a few pints at McPs Irish Pub. Or make your way up to Pacific Beach and ride along the boardwalk and back to downtown.

The Shop

Radical
Fantasy
2384th
5/29/2017 11:52am
If you do decide to do some trail riding, check out Tunnels in Rancho Penasquitos.
BAD10
5/29/2017 1:20pm
If you get bored of the street riding you could also check out Mission Trails,
RACERX69
5/29/2017 3:11pm
Thanks Guy's! Great input. Sounds like I've got plenty of options.
MOTO120
5/29/2017 3:49pm
I as well will be in San Diego this summer (albeit vacationing with the fam)...I think I may try to rent a bike and sneak a few rides in as well :-)
nc_mx_kid
5/30/2017 12:33pm
there is a mtb trail loop around Balboa park, check it out. Zumwalts bicycles on strava does loops out ther
RACERX69
5/31/2017 3:29pm Edited Date/Time 5/31/2017 3:33pm
Took Caspers advice and went from the Gas Lamp Quarter over to Point Loma and then down to the Cabrillo Monument. Awesome ride! Ended up being about 27 miles. Great views and perfect weather. Thinking about mixing it up tomorrow and doing the Mission Trails.

On a side note, what's the deal with all the homeless people around here? Holy crap, they're everywhere. I know the weather's good, but jeez, it's really detracts from the beauty of the city.

seth419
5/31/2017 4:14pm
Those aren't bums, those are hipsters.
Matt414
5/31/2017 4:22pm
RACERX69 wrote:
Took Caspers advice and went from the Gas Lamp Quarter over to Point Loma and then down to the Cabrillo Monument. Awesome ride! Ended up being...
Took Caspers advice and went from the Gas Lamp Quarter over to Point Loma and then down to the Cabrillo Monument. Awesome ride! Ended up being about 27 miles. Great views and perfect weather. Thinking about mixing it up tomorrow and doing the Mission Trails.

On a side note, what's the deal with all the homeless people around here? Holy crap, they're everywhere. I know the weather's good, but jeez, it's really detracts from the beauty of the city.

We ship all the homeless from North County down that way, the Del mar and Rancho SF folks don't like to look at them. If you feel like a little bit longer ride, head up soledad mtn. Bunch of different ways to get up, but going soledad mtn road and down Nautilus and back south could be a cool ride. Be sure to go all the way up to the cross at the top.

You can also head over towards Balboa park like others said, but head to the track (velodrome) and there's plenty of single track stuff over there.
5/31/2017 4:23pm
Homeless people because of the insane housing prices and weather. Its really the best recipe for it.

Take a ride to Sunset cliffs around sunset time. Its not too far away from you.

Mission trails is really fun MTB'n.
Sully
5/31/2017 4:51pm Edited Date/Time 5/31/2017 4:51pm
BAMX wrote:
There is a nice path on the edge of San diego bay by where you will be staying. Also, I would suggest taking the ferry over...
There is a nice path on the edge of San diego bay by where you will be staying. Also, I would suggest taking the ferry over to Coronado Island (you can take your bike for free, it leaves from next to the Midway) There is a nice path along Coronado island. Also, there is a nice path system around Mission Bay. That would require a car ride.
I'll second the Coronado ride. It's a bit over 7 miles one way on a very well maintained bike path, and once you get to IB, you can hit Don Panchos for some great Mexican food before you head back towards downtown.

Post a reply to: Recommendation for Biking around San Diego

The Latest