Red Bud - New Larocco's Leap

MOTO120
6/28/2017 9:04am Edited Date/Time 6/30/2017 9:50am
I might be late to the draw here but anyone else watch the animated track map of Red Bud for this weekend? I remember seeing a while back that it looked like they were building a replica of Larocco's Leap right next to it (to the south of it)...sure enough, looks like that is what they did according to the animated video. SO, what this leads to is better seating where the previous jump was....all in preparation for MXdN 2018 WoohooWoohooWoohoo
|
JW269
6/28/2017 9:22am
They are getting ready for "something" big Cool
VilloFan951
6/28/2017 9:23am
That would be awesome. I was really pissed about them canceling at glen Helen since that's a local track for me but if they actually get red bud I wouldn't be upset
mxtech1
6/28/2017 9:39am
Larocco's Leap isn't that big of a deal anymore, in my opinion. It's still a big jump, but when 450 guys can tip-toe through the inside line on the corner leading up to it and then easily clear it with a seat bounce it has lost it's luster.

Years ago, only a handful of 125 guys could do it and 250 guys had to hit their corner lines perfect to consistently hit it.

The corner before has been slowly moved closer to the take off since the 4 stroke takeover.

I do like how the new layout is an "S" turn leading into the Leap. This will hopefully make it hard to clear again due to the reduced speed coming through and the tighter turn.
BobPA
6/28/2017 9:43am
mxtech1 wrote:
Larocco's Leap isn't that big of a deal anymore, in my opinion. It's still a big jump, but when 450 guys can tip-toe through the inside...
Larocco's Leap isn't that big of a deal anymore, in my opinion. It's still a big jump, but when 450 guys can tip-toe through the inside line on the corner leading up to it and then easily clear it with a seat bounce it has lost it's luster.

Years ago, only a handful of 125 guys could do it and 250 guys had to hit their corner lines perfect to consistently hit it.

The corner before has been slowly moved closer to the take off since the 4 stroke takeover.

I do like how the new layout is an "S" turn leading into the Leap. This will hopefully make it hard to clear again due to the reduced speed coming through and the tighter turn.
Lost its luster? You never see 250's doing it anymore, and it is not like the entire 450 class does it.

The Shop

aeffertz
6/28/2017 9:51am
Going to be tough, it looks like. Hopefully the track holds up well enough so it's not another big double-single type of jump for most of the day.

Who's going to be the 250 rider that goes for it first?! RED BUUUUUD! Woohoo
Zaugg
6/28/2017 10:02am
Don't know if you can put much stock in the accuracy of the animated track map.

If you have a link to a pic of this "replica" it would be interesting to see.

I highly doubt you'll see a change to one of the most iconic jumps in motocross for MXdN.

canciaro
6/28/2017 10:14am
Zaugg wrote:
Don't know if you can put much stock in the accuracy of the animated track map. If you have a link to a pic of this...

I highly doubt you'll see a change to one of the most iconic jumps in motocross for MXdN.

If you look at their Instagram page from about 3 months ago they built a new Larocco's Leap to the left of the original one. Thats why on the video the left, left, right before the big jump is there now, its basically the re-direction towards Larocco's Leap v2.0. Once they basically made a duplicate of the original Leap, they then bull-dozed it and flattened the area out for a new large grandstand.

Apparently it was due to the face of the jump was falling apart and hard to keep consistent so they built a new one next to it.
aeffertz
6/28/2017 10:19am
Zaugg wrote:
Don't know if you can put much stock in the accuracy of the animated track map. If you have a link to a pic of this...

You can invest all your stock in the accuracy of this video.

RG1
6/28/2017 10:29am
Looks amazing. Really hope the MXdN is there. It's going to be an awesome trip
Zaugg
6/28/2017 10:34am
aeffertz wrote:
You can invest all your stock in the accuracy of this video. Nice shot of the new bleachers at #laroccosleap And now you know what the...

Now that's worth putting stock in...

OldYZRider1
6/28/2017 10:49am
aeffertz wrote:
You can invest all your stock in the accuracy of this video. Nice shot of the new bleachers at #laroccosleap And now you know what the...

I came by the track a couple of weeks ago and that's pretty much how it looked to me from the road. The old leap was gone and a grandstand sitting about where it was.

I wonder if Larocco launched a two stroke over it to "christin" it?
ATHEIST
Fantasy
966th
6/28/2017 12:05pm
aeffertz wrote:
Going to be tough, it looks like. Hopefully the track holds up well enough so it's not another big double-single type of jump for most of...
Going to be tough, it looks like. Hopefully the track holds up well enough so it's not another big double-single type of jump for most of the day.

Who's going to be the 250 rider that goes for it first?! RED BUUUUUD! Woohoo
AP...... nutz probably still swollen from high point smash and crash Sick
6/28/2017 12:06pm
canciaro wrote:
If you look at their Instagram page from about 3 months ago they built a new Larocco's Leap to the left of the original one. Thats...
If you look at their Instagram page from about 3 months ago they built a new Larocco's Leap to the left of the original one. Thats why on the video the left, left, right before the big jump is there now, its basically the re-direction towards Larocco's Leap v2.0. Once they basically made a duplicate of the original Leap, they then bull-dozed it and flattened the area out for a new large grandstand.

Apparently it was due to the face of the jump was falling apart and hard to keep consistent so they built a new one next to it.
Anything causing the lip to fall apart that cannot be fixed with heavy machinery will certainly happen to the replica 20 feet away. Dirt is dirt.
6/28/2017 12:20pm
I came by the track a couple of weeks ago and that's pretty much how it looked to me from the road. The old leap was...
I came by the track a couple of weeks ago and that's pretty much how it looked to me from the road. The old leap was gone and a grandstand sitting about where it was.

I wonder if Larocco launched a two stroke over it to "christin" it?
I'd hope they let Ol' Iron Mike break the seal on it.
KMC440
6/28/2017 1:35pm
Something doesn't quite look the same, not sure if the new take off is as steep as the old one. I see a flatter trajectory ... hope not. The old leap was fan-tastic !
OldYZRider1
6/28/2017 1:40pm
Anything causing the lip to fall apart that cannot be fixed with heavy machinery will certainly happen to the replica 20 feet away. Dirt is dirt.
Looked to me that the new one was made from a lot of good clay soil placed in there, compacted and then scooped out to shape it. The old one I think was just scooped out of the virgin soil on-site where it was located which looked like more of a black dirt. I'd imagine the new one should hold up better and not rut up so bad with all these "tractors" going over it nowadays.
Beeby
6/28/2017 2:19pm
I stood there last year for one of the 450 motos and pretty sure most people were not doing it. In the early laps I put it down to traffic around them, later on I am not sure, perhaps the rough track on landing.

I don't think its fair to say the leap became easier with the 450's. Not the same as with the 125 maybe, but it was still an option riders didn't nail every lap.
JJ4
6/28/2017 3:01pm
Still one of my favorites:

gt80rider
6/28/2017 4:11pm
Oofffaahhhh... Don't tell me red bud is going the way of dilla...
ga_pike
6/29/2017 8:52am
For some reason it doesn't look all that big from the flag pole camera. I'm certain it's an illusion based on depth and distance. It's always been an awesome jump!
Zaugg
6/29/2017 9:23am
jmx411
6/29/2017 9:54am
Why do all these motocross tracks keep changing what makes them great. Reminds me of another sport who took away history. Aka NASCAR
Rockinar
6/29/2017 10:09am
mxtech1 wrote:
Larocco's Leap isn't that big of a deal anymore, in my opinion. It's still a big jump, but when 450 guys can tip-toe through the inside...

Thats like saying Lincoln's assassination is not really a big deal anymore because today we have semi auto handguns and John Wilkes Booth could shoot him 30 times today.
Jdawggg
6/29/2017 11:17am
Always thought this was a cool pic....

6/29/2017 11:19am
I'm not watching this weekend because of this change.
ktmdan
6/29/2017 11:22am
Jdawggg wrote:
Always thought this was a cool pic....[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/06/29/202544/s1200_loracco.jpg[/img]
Always thought this was a cool pic....

omg...

Post a reply to: Red Bud - New Larocco's Leap

The Latest