The official word on the Villopoto red light call

Bauer
Edited Date/Time 2/29/2012 5:11pm
I spoke at length with John Gallagher yesterday about the decision. Here is what he said, and it makes perfect sense.

John was not in position to see RV, the lights, etc when it happened, but he immediately got a call on his radio from an AMA official who had a perfect view from the scoring tower, saying that "second place was committed" and there was no infraction. After the race, Jeremy Albrecht came to John while he was down by the podium and asked him to review the tape. They went up to the TV booth, where they waited a few minutes for Ralph, RC and Emig to wrap up, after which they reviewed the tape. One of the cameras had a perfect angle and view of the entire incident. Here's the deal:

First, the flashing yellow lights in the corner are programmed to come on when the red light at the top of the jump does. As we all know, the yellow lights require the rider to do nothing, other than proceed with caution. You can pass under a yellow flag. The yellow lights were what RV saw as he entered the turn and went over that little roller going into the turn. Obviously, to clear that jump the riders have to be committed going into the turn and totally on it as they exit, which is exactly what RV did. I made the point to John that technically none of the riders behind RV could have been penalized had they all jumped the triple, because they all could have made the same argument. Thankfully, no one did, because obviously they had more time than RV did to see what was going on and the red lights at the top of the jump etc.

John agreed, and everyone is grateful that there was no pile-up and they are rectifying the situation so it will not happen again. The obvious way to do that is to change the yellow lights in the turn to red, so that the riders will know sooner and have time to slow and roll the jumps. John already talked to Mike LaRocco, Sr, who does the wiring and they will have the change in place this weekend for any similar obstacles.

Another thing to consider is that the riders see flashing yellow lights a lot during a race, especially since the installation of the additional yellow lights that are placed between lanes. They used to have flaggers standing between lanes, but it was too dangerous for them, so those guys have been replaced with yellow lights. So the riders are pretty much numb to the flashing yellow lights, since they see them whenever someone falls in a turn after one of those straights.

So there's no conspiracy, it had nothing to do with who the rider was, or who his sponsor is. The AMA official that made the real-time call didn't even notice who the rider was, referring to him as "second place". Everyone involved understands and is in agreement. The officials were made aware of something that needs to be changed and are doing so. The best part is that no one got hurt in the process. That's how things evolve and are made better, especially safety-related items.
|
jtomasik
2/27/2012 10:42am Edited Date/Time 2/27/2012 10:43am
Yup. Makes perfect sense. I thought the yellow was just confusing the situation, and the layout of the track turned the red lights at the top of the jump useless. Glad to see the AMA is going to change this. Luckily no one was hurt, and they easily could've been.
2/27/2012 10:44am
No offense- but "Official word" comes from Steve Bauer on an Internet message board?
Ha ha...wow.
DL
2/27/2012 10:46am
Nice investigative work Steve. Case closed.
jbomx363
2/27/2012 10:47am
Committed and no time? Aren't these guys pro's? Totally on it, on a 450? And no, I don't care who the rider is.

Obviously, the "red" lights are yellow lights, but you cannot miss those big blaring red lights on top of the triple either.

Plenty of time to roll them.

The Shop

pilotdude
2/27/2012 10:54am
jbomx363 wrote:
Committed and no time? Aren't these guys pro's? Totally on it, on a 450? And no, I don't care who the rider is. Obviously, the "red"...
Committed and no time? Aren't these guys pro's? Totally on it, on a 450? And no, I don't care who the rider is.

Obviously, the "red" lights are yellow lights, but you cannot miss those big blaring red lights on top of the triple either.

Apparently, all the actual parties involved including the race officials and opposing team managers had far better information to evaluate than you, and were satisfied with the decision and the outcome.

But what is evidence, fact, and logic between a few conspiracy theorists and haters?
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
2/27/2012 10:58am
jbomx363 wrote:
Committed and no time? Aren't these guys pro's? Totally on it, on a 450? And no, I don't care who the rider is. Obviously, the "red"...

Would you like a crack at that section, and you can tell us how easy it'd be? Wink
2/27/2012 10:58am
Racer X reported that RD also jumped on red. If that is true, then they are full of shit about RV. If RD jumped, the explination makes perfect sense for the first guy through. But, RV being 3 seconds back had plenty of time.
jtomasik
2/27/2012 10:59am
jbomx363 wrote:

GuyB wrote:
Would you like a crack at that section, and you can tell us how easy it'd be? Wink
I'll pay for the helmet cam.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
2/27/2012 11:00am Edited Date/Time 2/27/2012 11:00am
Racer X reported that RD also jumped on red. If that is true, then they are full of shit about RV. If RD jumped, the explination...
Racer X reported that RD also jumped on red. If that is true, then they are full of shit about RV. If RD jumped, the explination makes perfect sense for the first guy through. But, RV being 3 seconds back had plenty of time.
If they're sitting in the press box, they were likely looking at the lip of the jump, not the lights at the base.

From where RV's landing (and looking), it's a very short run-up to the lip of the triple.

I know you love thinking there's some kind of conspiracy, but jeez...give it a rest already.
MtnBoy
2/27/2012 11:01am
No offense- but "Official word" comes from Steve Bauer on an Internet message board?
Ha ha...wow.
By official word he meant he actually talked to the people involved and got the real reason behind the decision, I don't think "official word" meant it was an official statement from the AMA or anything....lighten up a little
Bauer
2/27/2012 11:02am
Ha ha...wow.
Hey assfuck, no offense- how about I call it, "the AMA official's words", since I obviously paraphrased what Gallagher told me? Would that be better for your sorry ass? Haha...wow

You are a fucking douchbag, no offense. You call yourself "Moto East Mag", whatever the fuck that is, so why didn't YOU, or one of your Moto East Rag journalists take the time to find out the AMA's take on the incident? Then I wouldn't have had to spend my time writing what he told me, because your top-notch journalism would have already had it covered.
jbomx363
2/27/2012 11:04am
LOL. Deflection. Gotta love it. I couldn't make it over the roller safely most probably.

I think I had question marks behind my uh.. .questions...they weren't statements.

No matter, what's done is done.

It's just another dumb decision IMO.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
2/27/2012 11:04am
Bauer wrote:
Hey assfuck, no offense- how about I call it, "the AMA official's words", since I obviously paraphrased what Gallagher told me? Would that be better for...
Hey assfuck, no offense- how about I call it, "the AMA official's words", since I obviously paraphrased what Gallagher told me? Would that be better for your sorry ass? Haha...wow

You are a fucking douchbag, no offense. You call yourself "Moto East Mag", whatever the fuck that is, so why didn't YOU, or one of your Moto East Rag journalists take the time to find out the AMA's take on the incident? Then I wouldn't have had to spend my time writing what he told me, because your top-notch journalism would have already had it covered.
And that's Bauer's official word on it. Wink
FastEddy
Fantasy
890th
2/27/2012 11:08am
jbomx363 wrote:

GuyB wrote:
Hahaha! Smile
peelout
2/27/2012 11:09am
some people just love to bitch about everything. even once the explanation of the decision is put out there, for everyone to see, people still try to find a reason to bitch.

thanks for shedding some light on it Bauer. too bad it won't keep most of the cockgobblers from carrying on about it
Gym Briggs
2/27/2012 11:09am
Bauer wrote:
Hey assfuck, no offense- how about I call it, "the AMA official's words", since I obviously paraphrased what Gallagher told me? Would that be better for...

I hope you feel better Bauer cause I sure do! LMAO!!
Bauer
2/27/2012 11:10am
Gym Briggs wrote:
I hope you feel better Bauer cause I sure do! LMAO!!
I feel great! Glad you liked it! LOL
FlickitFlat
Fantasy
662nd
2/27/2012 11:13am Edited Date/Time 2/27/2012 11:14am
Just a quick question. I know the difference between a yellow flag and the red lights. But, a yellow flag getting flagged and a yellow light that only comes on when the red light is on, leading up to a triple. What the hell other meaning could this have had other than someone is down on the triple and you shouldn't jump it? It is a triple. What is the situation that a rider would not be down or in harms way that a yellow flag would be waving in that situation
WhipMeister
Fantasy
4408th
2/27/2012 11:19am
peelout wrote:
some people just love to bitch about everything. even once the explanation of the decision is put out there, for everyone to see, people still try...
some people just love to bitch about everything. even once the explanation of the decision is put out there, for everyone to see, people still try to find a reason to bitch.

thanks for shedding some light on it Bauer. too bad it won't keep most of the cockgobblers from carrying on about it
^^^ This.
pilotdude
2/27/2012 11:20am
Ha ha...wow.
Bauer wrote:

Outsider
2/27/2012 11:23am
Bauer's post is logical and makes sense. I'm glad they are changing the setup, as it did NOT make sense IMO.
500guy
2/27/2012 11:27am
Everyone except RV could see it and react but the current best rider in the world could not ?

I don't care what the ruling is but if I understand it correctly, RV jumped on Red, the rest did not ?
FastEddy
Fantasy
890th
2/27/2012 11:27am Edited Date/Time 2/27/2012 11:34am
500guy wrote:
Everyone except RV could see it and react but the current best rider in the world could not ? I don't care what the ruling is...
Everyone except RV could see it and react but the current best rider in the world could not ?

I don't care what the ruling is but if I understand it correctly, RV jumped on Red, the rest did not ?
From what RacerX is saying (making it sound), Dungey jumped on red also.

http://www.racerxonline.com/2012/02/26/racer-x-race-report-atlanta

"Stewart was charging from even further back. He started well outside the top ten but passed a slew of riders on the first lap to get to ninth. He kept creeping forward along with Villopoto, using an inside line through the first sweeper turn to make moves and get to third on lap 12. By then, only about four seconds separated Dungey, Villopoto and Stewart—the sold-out crowd had a race on its hands.

Then a rider went down near a triple jump, and the track officials turned the red caution lights on. Dungey and Villopoto jumped the jump, then Stewart rolled it as per the rules. He lost a ton of time there and essentially lost whatever chance he might have had of winning the race. Officials then ruled that Dungey and Villopoto had already committed to the triple by the time the lights came on, and they were not penalized for jumping."
jtomasik
2/27/2012 11:35am Edited Date/Time 2/27/2012 11:35am
500guy wrote:
Everyone except RV could see it and react but the current best rider in the world could not ? I don't care what the ruling is...

Oops...the guy in the post above covers the same ground.
kongols
2/27/2012 11:37am
500guy wrote:

jtomasik wrote:
Gap between Dungey and RV was more than 2 second. Looks like in your eyes they were side by side.
jtomasik
2/27/2012 11:42am Edited Date/Time 2/27/2012 11:43am
500guy wrote:

jtomasik wrote:
kongols wrote:
Gap between Dungey and RV was more than 2 second. Looks like in your eyes they were side by side.
Huh? What're you talking about? I was simply going to quote the Racer X article that stated both RD and RV, and not just RV, as 500guy says, committed the same error.
Greg903
2/27/2012 11:42am
He's the fastest man on the planet, faster than lights can blink. He did it and will do it again if he wants.
And ain't no computards gonna stop him.
Drfletcher
2/27/2012 11:48am
I'm more concerned about the official who didn't know who second was, how did he get that job?
lucero10x
2/27/2012 11:58am
Ha ha...wow.
Bauer wrote:

Post of the year.
jtomasik
2/27/2012 12:03pm Edited Date/Time 2/27/2012 12:03pm
Fast Eddy, good eval.

I am curious about one thing. The way the "official word" (not by MotoEastMag standards...lol) is worded, the yellow lights automatically come on when the red do. But, can they be yellow without a red (e.g., yellow on the top of the triple too)? If so, then I can see this going either way. But, if those yellow are only on when the ones at the top of the jump are red, and no other time, then the riders should be trained for that and held responsible.

Post a reply to: The official word on the Villopoto red light call

The Latest