WP AER 48 Forks

brimx153
8/8/2015 2:24pm
well there air forks , so they suck ball s . compared to kyb springs
Bruce372
8/8/2015 4:03pm
I was ready to buy the regular 2015 ktm 450 but didn't because everyone knew the factory edition would obsolete the regular 2015.

So I saved a bunch of cash and bought a bike that's been obsolete for years and it's great

The Shop

Kawasaki572
8/8/2015 4:09pm
Everyone that has or tried the air forks says they're great. Very interested to see how the new air forks compare to the kyb forks. Smile
swatdoc
8/8/2015 5:02pm
I'm just ordering a pair of cone valve forks from Billy for the '16 350 I have coming in. Will be interesting to compare to the Ohlins w/ huck valve forks I have.
langhammx
Fantasy
581st
8/8/2015 5:15pm
swatdoc wrote:
I'm just ordering a pair of cone valve forks from Billy for the '16 350 I have coming in. Will be interesting to compare to the...
I'm just ordering a pair of cone valve forks from Billy for the '16 350 I have coming in. Will be interesting to compare to the Ohlins w/ huck valve forks I have.
Well... I had a little influence on Digger, Rocketsocks and Shane converting from Ohlins to CV forks, and they don't hate me. Laughing
You're going to want to balance your bike out with a Trax shock as well. It seemed OK at first, but I'm looking forward to receiving the shock soon.
OR Racer46
Fantasy
843rd
8/8/2015 5:32pm
So let's be real for a sec here. What do you think the C V forks have done for you 5 sec a lap ? 10 ? Just curious . Would a simple revalve get you 3 seconds ? .
yzrider53
8/8/2015 5:53pm Edited Date/Time 8/8/2015 5:54pm
OR Racer46 wrote:
So let's be real for a sec here. What do you think the C V forks have done for you 5 sec a lap ? 10...
So let's be real for a sec here. What do you think the C V forks have done for you 5 sec a lap ? 10 ? Just curious . Would a simple revalve get you 3 seconds ? .
Depends on track conditions. Best reason for the CV fork for me, is that both of my wrist and thumbs are much happier.
I also had the ohlins set up too.
langhammx
Fantasy
581st
8/8/2015 6:01pm Edited Date/Time 8/8/2015 6:03pm
OR Racer46 wrote:
So let's be real for a sec here. What do you think the C V forks have done for you 5 sec a lap ? 10...
I'm not measuring it seconds per lap. I think of it as cheap insurance.... The forks have no doubt saved me from a few big crashes. Medical bills and time off work is expensive, even with Disability and Medical Insurance, you're talking 5 figures., with a couple months off of work and medical bills.

When you invest in the forks for under $3000, you save $400 in a revalved/spring on the stock forks. You could easily sell the forks for $2000 a year or two later, if you wanted to. So for $600, it's a NO BRAINER for me.
I'll transfer the forks to my next bike, which will save me another $400, making my investment even better.... Cool
KTMShane699
8/8/2015 6:58pm
langhammx wrote:
I'm not measuring it seconds per lap. I think of it as cheap insurance.... The forks have no doubt saved me from a few big crashes...
I'm not measuring it seconds per lap. I think of it as cheap insurance.... The forks have no doubt saved me from a few big crashes. Medical bills and time off work is expensive, even with Disability and Medical Insurance, you're talking 5 figures., with a couple months off of work and medical bills.

When you invest in the forks for under $3000, you save $400 in a revalved/spring on the stock forks. You could easily sell the forks for $2000 a year or two later, if you wanted to. So for $600, it's a NO BRAINER for me.
I'll transfer the forks to my next bike, which will save me another $400, making my investment even better.... Cool
This hits it on the head. I take care of my stuff, so I can get a good value when I sell it. Nobody will pay you more because your bike has revalved suspension on it. So once you spend that money, it's gone. Some people may pay you more because your bike has CV forks on it, but you won't get enough to make it worthwhile. But if I sell my CV forks alone, I'll recover a large portion of my investment back and be out typically less than a revalve to ride better suspension. If they fit on my next bike, I don't have to spend any more money. The forks are already bought. The only downside is that I had to front the money for the forks. I do realize that's not feasible for everyone, but if it is...it's a good option and probably the best option. I don't worry about it in terms of "seconds per lap" either. It's a better product that works better and can save a crash. That alone has a value to me.

I don't worry about if I'll get my investment back, I know I'll get enough back to make it worthwhile.

Shane

OR Racer46
Fantasy
843rd
8/8/2015 7:20pm
Thank you . This is what I wanted to hear . I am getting the wp cv forks. Just wanted to see what you guys really thought . I only put it into seconds per lap as that is kind of a gauge as to comfort . In the grand sceam 3000 is really not a lot when you consider everything else
KTMShane699
8/8/2015 7:24pm
OR Racer46 wrote:
Thank you . This is what I wanted to hear . I am getting the wp cv forks. Just wanted to see what you guys really...
Thank you . This is what I wanted to hear . I am getting the wp cv forks. Just wanted to see what you guys really thought . I only put it into seconds per lap as that is kind of a gauge as to comfort . In the grand sceam 3000 is really not a lot when you consider everything else
Call Billy at Powerband. He reworks the mid valve so they work better for the average rider. You also won't be disappointed with his pricing. Best prices around.

Shane
swatdoc
8/8/2015 7:32pm
Langham - I spoke to Jeremy about this - should I get an Ohlins or a Trax shock and have him set it up for me. He recommended staying with the stock shock and he would get it working awesome.

Totally agree with you and Shane on the expensive suspension. I know a lot of people on here say if you're not fast, you don't need it, but I disagree for several reasons:

1- I'm 55 yrs old, 215 lbs, and slow. Because I'm slow, I hit every bump on the track - I don't skim over anything. Better suspension helps soak up all the harsh braking and acceleration bumps. Makes me happier! LOL

2- Because I'm not skilled, I routinely over or under-jump jumps, coming up short on a double or flat landing just about kills me!! Having great suspension minimizes the damage.

3- Like Langham said, great suspension can very possibly save you from a crash - a crash that for us older guys is hard to recover from and can seriously affect the wallet. $3K for great forks that might save me from a crash that puts me out for a couple months is a no brainer. Being out of work for even one month can pay for the forks 3 times over.

4- Like shane said - they're an investment that will hold a great deal of their value.

5- Bottom line: Not getting beat up and hurt makes MX for fun and enjoyable for me. Isn't that the point, really?
Tim507
8/8/2015 7:48pm Edited Date/Time 8/8/2015 8:56pm
Good suspension is for sure excellent supplementary insurance!

For the most part I'm happy with the stock shock and the CV Forks. I'm certainly contemplating the Trax Shock later this fall when its available.

The best thing I did was drive to Sacramento and have Brian Rush (aka slipdog) ride and setup my bike. He has that skillWoohoo my confidence is gaining with my seat time.

CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
8/10/2015 10:02pm
I found out that you can get the forks in Austria for $1,700euro = about $1,900usd.

So if anyone is traveling there, could be a cheaper way to pick up a set...
Motofinne
8/11/2015 3:48am Edited Date/Time 8/11/2015 3:49am
I found out that you can get the forks in Austria for $1,700euro = about $1,900usd. So if anyone is traveling there, could be a cheaper...
I found out that you can get the forks in Austria for $1,700euro = about $1,900usd.

From the factory or a dealer?

I saw that CV forks are 2300€ in the catalog.
http://www.wp-germany.com/userfiles/file/wpgermany/downloads/Produktkat…

Edit: It might be the CV cartridge kit that is 1700€?
JB 19
8/11/2015 7:30am
I would bet that the 16 factory edition will have the air forks in March or so next year.......and an orange frame! Better wait for the 16.5.....Laughing
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
8/11/2015 7:37am
I found out that you can get the forks in Austria for $1,700euro = about $1,900usd. So if anyone is traveling there, could be a cheaper...

Motofinne wrote:
From the factory or a dealer? I saw that CV forks are 2300€ in the catalog. http://www.wp-germany.com/userfiles/file/wpgermany/downloads/Produktkatalog%202014/WP-Price%20List%20-%20MSP_2015_V1_0.pdf Edit: It might be the CV cartridge kit that...
From the factory or a dealer?

I saw that CV forks are 2300€ in the catalog.
http://www.wp-germany.com/userfiles/file/wpgermany/downloads/Produktkat…

Edit: It might be the CV cartridge kit that is 1700€?
From a dealer near Innsbruck. They are on the authorized WP list.
8/26/2015 2:33am Edited Date/Time 8/26/2015 2:36am
Anyone try these air forks yet?
I have been riding my 16 350 EU for 20 hours now. All i can say is i am very happy with the airfork. Feels plush and keeps it up in the stroke in braking bumps. Feels very calm, doesn't do anything weird. Also very easy to setup, i haven't even sent em to revalve yet.
Edit: also saved my wrists when overjumped pretty big table. Forks soaked it up surprisingly well. Just smashed my nuts on the seat pretty hard lol.
hylo
8/26/2015 4:27am
I have been riding my 16 350 EU for 20 hours now. All i can say is i am very happy with the airfork. Feels plush...
I have been riding my 16 350 EU for 20 hours now. All i can say is i am very happy with the airfork. Feels plush and keeps it up in the stroke in braking bumps. Feels very calm, doesn't do anything weird. Also very easy to setup, i haven't even sent em to revalve yet.
Edit: also saved my wrists when overjumped pretty big table. Forks soaked it up surprisingly well. Just smashed my nuts on the seat pretty hard lol.
You've got exactly the same impression I've got. Been riding mine for 20-something hours. Only difference is that mine are attached to a 16 250 EU.

I also feel that they were easy to set up. I'm, as said earlier, not picky about my setup. I usually find something and stay there, but I have been tinkering with the clickers and air pressure on this bike. Smooth travel that holds up on braking bumps and still soaks up small chatter . Quite happy with them. Also a lot simpler in design than the Showa and KYB air forks. Much easier to set up.

Am I going to send them to be revalved? Nope!
Bruce372
8/26/2015 6:23am
I thought tell new sff tac was an easy fork to work on , but these new wp look even easier.

It's cool how they have figured equalization of the chambers so you only add air to one chamber.

The showa can be confusing to setup, especially on the kawi where people often use pressure in the outer chamber

Sounds like ktm finally came up with a decent fork, the new bikes must be nice
MXD
8/26/2015 6:33am
Bruce372 wrote:
I thought tell new sff tac was an easy fork to work on , but these new wp look even easier. It's cool how they have...
I thought tell new sff tac was an easy fork to work on , but these new wp look even easier.

It's cool how they have figured equalization of the chambers so you only add air to one chamber.

The showa can be confusing to setup, especially on the kawi where people often use pressure in the outer chamber

DAMN IT, Bruce! Laughing
slipdog
8/26/2015 6:34am
Bruce372 wrote:
I thought tell new sff tac was an easy fork to work on , but these new wp look even easier. It's cool how they have...

Sounds like the WP fork by design runs equal pressure in the inner and balance and 0psi in the outer, hmmm.... Smile
Bruce372
8/26/2015 7:07am
Bruce372 wrote:

slipdog wrote:
Sounds like the WP fork by design runs equal pressure in the inner and balance and 0psi in the outer, hmmm.... Smile
If you loon at the showa app, the outer chamber pressure as a massive effect on overall spring rate for very small changes compared to the inner chambers.

I've heard no complaints about the Honear crf2502showa air fork, they don't use pressure in the outer and the shim stacks look normal.

The rmz tac fork has way too much high speed comp and doesn't move.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
8/26/2015 7:42am
Cool, that's good to hear from people riding them! Have you guys ridden the 4CS or Cone valves? How do they compair? Or can you compair them to another fork you've ridden?
Bruce372
8/26/2015 7:45am
It's funny that my buddy posted on another forum that the aer design is so good that there is no way someone from wp came up with them.

Post a reply to: WP AER 48 Forks

The Latest