FlickitFlat
Fantasy
662nd
5/24/2012 3:38pm
A thumb drive for an Ipad would be the most important to me. lol
level
5/24/2012 3:51pm Edited Date/Time 5/24/2012 3:51pm
A thumb drive for an Ipad would be the most important to me. lol
Why don't you use a cloud service like Dropbox, Box.net, Skydrive, Memopal, etc? They have apps for it also. That way you can access your files on all your devices and on the web.
bsm121
5/24/2012 3:59pm
hologram television
level
5/24/2012 4:44pm
I know there coming out with an iTV but I don't think that would be the most important thing he's ever worked on. I am so freaking curious.

The Shop

Rooster
5/24/2012 5:18pm
It's a combination of marketing speak where he's trying to play up the next thing they bring to market and the fact that now that Jobs is gone he will get more credit for the designs coming out of his department.

I really don't think they have anything more revolutionary than a TV coming out. It will impact the cable companies more than the electronics world though. If what I'm expecting to see comes to fruition.

All the pieces are already out there to have what Apple's got in the pipeline for an Apple TV set. The difference is theirs will be nicer to look at and the software will be typical Apple in it's ease of use. How good it is and how much of a success it is will be dependant on what kind of deal they can strike with the content providers.
5/25/2012 5:22am
im guessing its a device that airs both motos live in HD and also doubles as a pizza cooker like on back to the future....

: )
TeamGreen
5/25/2012 9:14am
It's not a Phone...

It's not a Pad...
KMC440
5/25/2012 3:20pm
The click-drag and enter functions on the pads are being replaced with retinal recognition, two quick blinks as you focus on the word (there's a tracking "target" that follows the eye motions that is visible on the screen) then two more to place the word or simply trigger the tab with two blinks.

Jobs hated buttons.

P.S. if you get shit in your eye while using this function you may start WWIII .
carlosmacho
5/25/2012 3:39pm
level wrote:
http://www.csmonitor.com/Innovation/Horizons/2012/0523/Newly-knighted-Apple-design-chief-hints-at-mystery-product n the interview with the Telegraph – rare for Ive, who is press shy – Ive explains that although he is proud of his past...
http://www.csmonitor.com/Innovation/Horizons/2012/0523/Newly-knighted-A…

n the interview with the Telegraph – rare for Ive, who is press shy – Ive explains that although he is proud of his past work, it's his current projects that he'd like to be remembered for. "[W]hat we’re working on now feels like the most important and the best work we’ve done, and so it would be what we’re working on right now, which of course I can’t tell you about," Ive said.

I am real freaking curious. Any ideas?
Jobs was Apple. He was innovative with Ipod, which that OS mutated into a phone, which mutated into a larger Pad. This was a great idea and he implemented it so well. Even though overpriced, it has become a status symbol more than a tool. Every child wants one. Many young people want one, (many cannot afford one or look for something less expensive).

But Jobs is gone. The Mac still has less than 10 percent market share and how long has that computer been around? Jobs had no magic to make that overpriced pig to increase market-share to become a player in the consumer computer industry.

So now what? Even if Jobs laid the blue print for the next emerging technology, he is gone. It will be interesting to see if Apple can continue.

You said "rare for Ive, who is press shy".. That is exactly who I want leading my bleeding edge technology company...not. Jobs was not only an innovator, he had the charisma to lead and to get people to join him in his vision. He would get excited about his ideas and create synergy to enable designers. This is exactly what HP, Asus, Dell, and the other lack. It would seem that Apple lacks that now. I guess we will see.
level
5/25/2012 5:15pm Edited Date/Time 5/25/2012 5:19pm
Apple's market share vs PC market share I think will continue to rise because so many people are using iPads and iPhones so they will feel more comfortable buying a Mac now. They are also implementing many iOS features into the Mac so that should make it easier for people to switch.

It's really make it or break it for Microsoft and Windows 8. That operating system is horrendous. That could jump start Mac sales as well.

Also, PC's are becoming of less use as tablets and smartphones can do power computing. PC's are mainly for the workplace. I think that is why the market share is so huge.

Also, Mac's are starting to get priced a little more reasonable. They do not make a budget Desktop or laptop like other manufactures-not something they do. You can get the mac mini but that is the cheapest. There Macbook air is considered an ultra book and it's priced very reasonable compared to other PC ultra books that are junk compared to the air.

Times a changing and were right in the middle of it. Going to be interesting. All big companies eventually struggle and I am worried about Apple with Jobs gone. I hope Tim Cook doesn't turn it into more of a corporate company and stops innovating.

Apple is unique and has been fine with not being the dominate player. That's why they have kind of a cult following. As long as they continue to innovate and make there products user friendly and powerful at the same time then they should be fine.
musmanni
5/25/2012 5:30pm
level wrote:
http://www.csmonitor.com/Innovation/Horizons/2012/0523/Newly-knighted-Apple-design-chief-hints-at-mystery-product n the interview with the Telegraph – rare for Ive, who is press shy – Ive explains that although he is proud of his past...
http://www.csmonitor.com/Innovation/Horizons/2012/0523/Newly-knighted-A…

n the interview with the Telegraph – rare for Ive, who is press shy – Ive explains that although he is proud of his past work, it's his current projects that he'd like to be remembered for. "[W]hat we’re working on now feels like the most important and the best work we’ve done, and so it would be what we’re working on right now, which of course I can’t tell you about," Ive said.

I am real freaking curious. Any ideas?
Jobs was Apple. He was innovative with Ipod, which that OS mutated into a phone, which mutated into a larger Pad. This was a great idea...
Jobs was Apple. He was innovative with Ipod, which that OS mutated into a phone, which mutated into a larger Pad. This was a great idea and he implemented it so well. Even though overpriced, it has become a status symbol more than a tool. Every child wants one. Many young people want one, (many cannot afford one or look for something less expensive).

But Jobs is gone. The Mac still has less than 10 percent market share and how long has that computer been around? Jobs had no magic to make that overpriced pig to increase market-share to become a player in the consumer computer industry.

So now what? Even if Jobs laid the blue print for the next emerging technology, he is gone. It will be interesting to see if Apple can continue.

You said "rare for Ive, who is press shy".. That is exactly who I want leading my bleeding edge technology company...not. Jobs was not only an innovator, he had the charisma to lead and to get people to join him in his vision. He would get excited about his ideas and create synergy to enable designers. This is exactly what HP, Asus, Dell, and the other lack. It would seem that Apple lacks that now. I guess we will see.
I hope you understand many of those ideas were not Jobs ideas. Jobs took the credit for all of his employees ideas, which made him look like a genius. Jobs was a marketing guy, not a guy who invented new ideas. As long as the engineers who actually created the current products stay with Apple, the company will be fine.
musmanni
5/25/2012 5:33pm
As an addon, Microsoft is total garbage.

I just sat through a 9 hour deep dive with their cloud computing, Business Intelligence, Mobile, sharepoint and desktop experts. Every single technology they presented was garbage, except for sharepoint.

Their Cloud, Business Intelligence, mobile and desktop platforms are at least a decade behind the leaders. Heck, their Business intelligence and mobile is a decade behind the free open source leaders.
carlosmacho
5/25/2012 5:52pm Edited Date/Time 5/25/2012 5:59pm
level wrote:
Apple's market share vs PC market share I think will continue to rise because so many people are using iPads and iPhones so they will feel...
Apple's market share vs PC market share I think will continue to rise because so many people are using iPads and iPhones so they will feel more comfortable buying a Mac now. They are also implementing many iOS features into the Mac so that should make it easier for people to switch.

It's really make it or break it for Microsoft and Windows 8. That operating system is horrendous. That could jump start Mac sales as well.

Also, PC's are becoming of less use as tablets and smartphones can do power computing. PC's are mainly for the workplace. I think that is why the market share is so huge.

Also, Mac's are starting to get priced a little more reasonable. They do not make a budget Desktop or laptop like other manufactures-not something they do. You can get the mac mini but that is the cheapest. There Macbook air is considered an ultra book and it's priced very reasonable compared to other PC ultra books that are junk compared to the air.

Times a changing and were right in the middle of it. Going to be interesting. All big companies eventually struggle and I am worried about Apple with Jobs gone. I hope Tim Cook doesn't turn it into more of a corporate company and stops innovating.

Apple is unique and has been fine with not being the dominate player. That's why they have kind of a cult following. As long as they continue to innovate and make there products user friendly and powerful at the same time then they should be fine.
"Apple's market share vs PC market share I think will continue to rise because so many people are using iPads and iPhones"

Is that a joke? Because I am laughing.

Apple realease the first mac in July 1976 and it is still less than 10 percent.

The first Ipod was release in October 23, 2001, Mac sales did not skyrocket.

The first Iphone was released June 29, 2007, that was 5 years ago and macs have not taken off in sales.

The Ipad and Ipod dominated their markets, even though overpriced. They were good ideas. Macs never have done that. There are two reasons for this. The mac is just a tool like the PC, they do the same thing with a slightly different interfact but the Apple is alot more expensive so they don't sell as well.

You said "It's really make it or break it for Microsoft and Windows 8."

But I say that OSX is make or break, Microsoft has changed relatively little. The mac has used the motorola 8086 processor, then powerPC processor, could not compete and was forced to turn to PC hardware, and they still have less then 10 percent.

""That operating system is horrendous."

You must not use computers.

"I am worried about Apple with Jobs gone. I hope Tim Cook doesn't turn it into more of a corporate company and stops innovating. "

That is where I think it will go. You see, Jobs was innovative and was able to charge more for his hot unusual cool items like the Ipod/phone/pad, but he was also all about making a lot of money. The company is not going to not be about making money and charging up to double for the same thing from other companies, stockholders will not tolerate it. But to do that they MUST continue to inovate and market their product as a status symbol for the rich or those profits will go away fast. As more people lose jobs and have less money, money they won't have to buy apple products.
carlosmacho
5/25/2012 6:04pm
musmanni wrote:
As an addon, Microsoft is total garbage. I just sat through a 9 hour deep dive with their cloud computing, Business Intelligence, Mobile, sharepoint and desktop...

I just sat through a 9 hour deep dive with their cloud computing, Business Intelligence, Mobile, sharepoint and desktop experts. Every single technology they presented was garbage, except for sharepoint.

Their Cloud, Business Intelligence, mobile and desktop platforms are at least a decade behind the leaders. Heck, their Business intelligence and mobile is a decade behind the free open source leaders.
Microsoft has more operating systems installed on more computers than any other OS. Pretty good for garbage.
musmanni
5/25/2012 8:17pm
musmanni wrote:
As an addon, Microsoft is total garbage. I just sat through a 9 hour deep dive with their cloud computing, Business Intelligence, Mobile, sharepoint and desktop...

Microsoft has more operating systems installed on more computers than any other OS. Pretty good for garbage.
They are way behind in Cloud computing, Business Intelligence, Mobile, and desktop for high end work at corporations.

I don't really care about home desktop computers.
sdfog1
5/25/2012 8:48pm
Aren't they making a new tablet with a 7.8" screen that'll retail around $250? Thought I heard that in the rumor mill. I just got an iPad 2 (thanks to a good night at Winstar Smile ) and the thing is awesome so far. I can definitely see a smaller, cheaper version (that will compete with the Kindle Fire and others like it) being a big hit.
tunedlength
5/25/2012 10:43pm Edited Date/Time 5/25/2012 10:44pm
Hey look Void took the bait!
I knew he couldn't sit on the sidelines for another Mac thread!
carlosmacho
5/25/2012 11:24pm
musmanni wrote:

musmanni wrote:
They are way behind in Cloud computing, Business Intelligence, Mobile, and desktop for high end work at corporations. I don't really care about home desktop computers...
They are way behind in Cloud computing, Business Intelligence, Mobile, and desktop for high end work at corporations.

I don't really care about home desktop computers.
If they are so far behind, I am sure they will be out of business soon. You cannot have a bad product and stay in business. But if they were 10 years behind, I would have expected them to be out of business 10 years ago, or at least by today Smile

And since this is a discussion about Apple, I must assume you mean Apple is 10 years ahead in Cloud computing, Business Intelligence, Mobile, and desktop for high end work at corporations than Microsoft. I wonder why they are not outselling companies like HP or Dell. LOL
carlosmacho
5/25/2012 11:27pm
sdfog1 wrote:
Aren't they making a new tablet with a 7.8" screen that'll retail around $250? Thought I heard that in the rumor mill. I just got an...
Aren't they making a new tablet with a 7.8" screen that'll retail around $250? Thought I heard that in the rumor mill. I just got an iPad 2 (thanks to a good night at Winstar Smile ) and the thing is awesome so far. I can definitely see a smaller, cheaper version (that will compete with the Kindle Fire and others like it) being a big hit.
There is no doubt Apple produces a great Pad device. They have never had to compete with anything, and their prices were always very high and people paid it. I wonder why they would start trying to compete with the Kindle. They don't compete with HP for the 259 dollar pc they sell at Walmart at Christmas. Things that make you go hmmm.
especially in light of this conversation about where Apple is headed now Jobs is gone.
426Hemi
Fantasy
2747th
5/26/2012 6:23am
Apple is good at one thing, marketing.

Subtle little comments get their "fanbase" excited. People wait in line for days for a revamp of a product they just redid from a year ago.

I didnt know cloud computing has been around for 10 years.

Windows 7 is fine, I use it at home and work, and with Windows Pro you can run XP on a virtual machine which is nice for all of my old programs. If anything else for me, I have run Ubuntu Linux, which is excellent. I have no need for overpriced hype machine products. I can use computers and figure it out, I don't need everything to be "eye coordinated" to use it. Hell my new Sony Viao uses hand gestures for navigating my photo files. I would rather use a mouse, it is faster.
Jarid332
Fantasy
1658th
5/26/2012 8:32am
If Apple told people to jump off a cliff and they charged you for it, the hipster would line up and be ready to take the plunge...
FLmxer
Fantasy
898th
5/26/2012 9:07am
Mobile projection touch screen.
SEEMEFIRST
5/27/2012 3:25am
Can you run Solidworks or MasterCam on an Apple yet? Oh, yeah, I guess you can if you run Windows on it.
72kiteboarder
5/27/2012 9:09am
The MacBook AirPad

It will be a MacBook Air that has a flippable screen. Once the screen is flipped, the OS switches from OSX to iOS and it performs like an iPad.

It will also be nearly indistinguishable from an iPad when in the iPad configuration. But, flip the screen around and the AirPad will perform as well as any MacBook Air out there now.

It will have 4G connectivity as well.
Rooster
5/27/2012 11:53am
Apple owns 66% of sales of computers over $1000 in the US market.

They don't piss around with the budget stuff and have no desire to compete on price with their hardware.

They might sell computers and other electronic trinkets, but they're a software company at the core. They just understand that if they can wrap their software in a nicer looking more reliable package that the people who are frustrated with the budget stuff will eventually come around.
level
5/27/2012 12:53pm Edited Date/Time 5/27/2012 1:21pm
level wrote:
Apple's market share vs PC market share I think will continue to rise because so many people are using iPads and iPhones so they will feel...

"Apple's market share vs PC market share I think will continue to rise because so many people are using iPads and iPhones" Is that a joke...
"Apple's market share vs PC market share I think will continue to rise because so many people are using iPads and iPhones"

Is that a joke? Because I am laughing.

Apple realease the first mac in July 1976 and it is still less than 10 percent.

The first Ipod was release in October 23, 2001, Mac sales did not skyrocket.

The first Iphone was released June 29, 2007, that was 5 years ago and macs have not taken off in sales.

The Ipad and Ipod dominated their markets, even though overpriced. They were good ideas. Macs never have done that. There are two reasons for this. The mac is just a tool like the PC, they do the same thing with a slightly different interfact but the Apple is alot more expensive so they don't sell as well.

You said "It's really make it or break it for Microsoft and Windows 8."

But I say that OSX is make or break, Microsoft has changed relatively little. The mac has used the motorola 8086 processor, then powerPC processor, could not compete and was forced to turn to PC hardware, and they still have less then 10 percent.

""That operating system is horrendous."

You must not use computers.

"I am worried about Apple with Jobs gone. I hope Tim Cook doesn't turn it into more of a corporate company and stops innovating. "

That is where I think it will go. You see, Jobs was innovative and was able to charge more for his hot unusual cool items like the Ipod/phone/pad, but he was also all about making a lot of money. The company is not going to not be about making money and charging up to double for the same thing from other companies, stockholders will not tolerate it. But to do that they MUST continue to inovate and market their product as a status symbol for the rich or those profits will go away fast. As more people lose jobs and have less money, money they won't have to buy apple products.
Well since you are Mr. Know it All, let me tell you a few things.

No, it's not a joke about people using Macs because of the iPhone and iPad. It has brought brand recognition to many people who never even thought about using Macs and have purchased one because they like the iPhone or iPad.

The reason why Microsoft continues to dominate is enterprise. PCs were always the most popular for applications and business were built around the Windows architecture. As more programs go online it gives businesses a chance to finally buy something different such as a Mac or Ubuntu because they are not locked down to Windows and Windows Servers. However, PCS are also much much cheaper so for my businesses for example I can go buy 10 PCS at office depot for $300 a piece for my employees.

Yes, Windows 8 is awful. Do you use computers? I have it installed on my Mac so I could test it. It's basically Windows 7 without a Start Menu and the stupid Metro attached like a different operating system. It is absolutely awful. You have a mail program and a browser completely separate from the regular windows. It is one of the lamest things I have ever seen. It's like 2 operating systems on 1 computer.

With the Apple Stores and Best Buy carrying Apple products you will continue to see a rise in Mac Market Share maybe. It all depends on how many people decide to replace there PC's with tablets instead such as an iPad or Android. PC and Mac market share may fall to these.
Sherwood
5/27/2012 2:22pm
You have the old way of thinking(Microsoft) vs a new way of thinking(Apple). Microsoft missed the mobile market/tablet market big time. I can see that haunting them in the future.
tunedlength
5/27/2012 2:47pm
Apples new product is called the Maxi.
Its an iPad that folds out to a 22"diagonal HD display.

Post a reply to: Apple future mystery product...

The Latest