Some trippy astronomy vids/facts

ocscottie
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 12:25am
Showing how big the Sun is, and how its actually very small compared to others out there, pretty mind blowing shit! I took a class in college and it was one of my favorite classes. I would get baked before class on nights when we had videos.

Cliick Here
|
Nielsen277
9/2/2010 9:04pm
I'm taking Astronomy of the Solar System right now, but my teacher is boring as hell! He's the only person that could make black holes sound uninteresting!

borg
9/2/2010 9:35pm
Nielsen277 wrote:
I'm taking Astronomy of the Solar System right now, but my teacher is boring as hell! He's the only person that could make black holes sound...
I'm taking Astronomy of the Solar System right now, but my teacher is boring as hell! He's the only person that could make black holes sound uninteresting!

If you can even start to get you brain wrapped around what we know about the universe, then you can begin to comprehend how small and insignificant humans really are. Your teacher is probably boring to you because he isn't talking about Lady Ga Ga's pussy. Give it a chance.
Nielsen277
9/2/2010 9:42pm
Nielsen277 wrote:
I'm taking Astronomy of the Solar System right now, but my teacher is boring as hell! He's the only person that could make black holes sound...

borg wrote:
If you can even start to get you brain wrapped around what we know about the universe, then you can begin to comprehend how small and...
If you can even start to get you brain wrapped around what we know about the universe, then you can begin to comprehend how small and insignificant humans really are. Your teacher is probably boring to you because he isn't talking about Lady Ga Ga's pussy. Give it a chance.
I guess I worded that wrong. This stuff fascinates me! I'm just saying that my teacher presents it in an uninteresting manner. I read half of the text the day I bought it.

The Shop

bullpen58
9/2/2010 11:12pm
I love astronomy. Astrology is kinda fun too.
borg
9/3/2010 6:40am
Some of my own pics. Nasa has much better pics but mine are taken from Earth with a home made telescope.

Andromeda galaxy. 2 1/2 million light years away.

Moon during eclipse.

Comet Hale-Bopp. (Camera shot)

Whirlpool galaxy. 23 million light years away. Light travels 186,000 miles per second. This photo is actually what this galaxy looked like 23 million years ago.

M81 and M82 Galaxies.
motogeezer
9/3/2010 8:35am
^^Nice!

Did you get those shots out in the local desert?

You didn't take those in HB.
jimid553
9/3/2010 11:27am
borg wrote:
Some of my own pics. Nasa has much better pics but mine are taken from Earth with a home made telescope. [img]http://webpages.charter.net/ivanwhr/Andromeda.jpg[/img] Andromeda galaxy. 2 1/2...
Some of my own pics. Nasa has much better pics but mine are taken from Earth with a home made telescope.

Moon during eclipse.

Whirlpool galaxy. 23 million light years away. Light travels 186,000 miles per second. This photo is actually what this galaxy looked like 23 million years ago.

M81 and M82 Galaxies.
That's one hell of a homemade telescope!
borg
9/3/2010 11:36am
motogeezer wrote:
^^Nice!

Andromeda was taken from the South rim of the Grand Canyon. A 45 minute exposure using 400 speed film.

The eclipse shot was taken from Signal Hill In Long Beach.

The others were all taken from the desert. Some from Joshua Tree and others from Wild Horse Canyon about 30 miles from Needles, CA

If you want to see a shitload of astrogeeks. Go to the top of Mt. Pinos near Gorman. On a new moon, weekend night, there will be at least a hundred scopes. Kill the headlights before you enter the parking lot or you will be burned at the stake. Put some red tail light tape over your flashlight too. Just about everybody there will let you look through their scope.
dougie
9/3/2010 1:52pm
motogeezer wrote:
^^Nice!

borg wrote:
Andromeda was taken from the South rim of the Grand Canyon. A 45 minute exposure using 400 speed film. The eclipse shot was taken from Signal...
Andromeda was taken from the South rim of the Grand Canyon. A 45 minute exposure using 400 speed film.

The eclipse shot was taken from Signal Hill In Long Beach.

The others were all taken from the desert. Some from Joshua Tree and others from Wild Horse Canyon about 30 miles from Needles, CA

If you want to see a shitload of astrogeeks. Go to the top of Mt. Pinos near Gorman. On a new moon, weekend night, there will be at least a hundred scopes. Kill the headlights before you enter the parking lot or you will be burned at the stake. Put some red tail light tape over your flashlight too. Just about everybody there will let you look through their scope.
What is the easiest to see (closest) Galaxy to us. And how powerful a telescope is required to see it?
Nielsen277
9/3/2010 11:18pm
borg wrote:
Some of my own pics. Nasa has much better pics but mine are taken from Earth with a home made telescope. [img]http://webpages.charter.net/ivanwhr/Andromeda.jpg[/img] Andromeda galaxy. 2 1/2...

Moon during eclipse.

M81 and M82 Galaxies.
Very cool pics! Especially the one of the Whirlpool galaxy.

One thing that messes with my head, is that if we could see as far in light years as the universe is old in regular years, we would be able to see the beginning of it!
borg
9/4/2010 6:53am
dougie wrote:
What is the easiest to see (closest) Galaxy to us. And how powerful a telescope is required to see it?
Andromeda is the easiest to see and the closest spiral galaxy. You can see with the naked eye. It looks like a fuzzy smudge.

This object is also visible with the naked eye. Binoculars are always better:

This is M42, the Orion Nebula. It's actually a star nursery. Stars being born. Once you learn how to locate deep sky objects it adds a little to a camping trip. Most of this stuff is not visible from the city.
borg
9/4/2010 7:01am
There are a lot of interesting things to see with a low power scope. My photos were taken through my telescope without an eyepiece. It's called prime focus. My scope was basically a 1500 mm telephoto at f6. You can see a lot with a good pair of binoculars too. The little 60mm refractors that department stores sell are shit. Don't even bother.
dougie
9/4/2010 8:44am Edited Date/Time 9/4/2010 8:45am
dougie wrote:
borg wrote:
Andromeda is the easiest to see and the closest spiral galaxy. You can see with the naked eye. It looks like a fuzzy smudge. This object...
Andromeda is the easiest to see and the closest spiral galaxy. You can see with the naked eye. It looks like a fuzzy smudge.

This object is also visible with the naked eye. Binoculars are always better:

This is M42, the Orion Nebula. It's actually a star nursery. Stars being born. Once you learn how to locate deep sky objects it adds a little to a camping trip. Most of this stuff is not visible from the city.
Cool thanks man. I live out in a rural part of Riverside (10 mi from Temecula) been out here about 20 years. When I first moved out (from Garden Grove) I was amazed. In GG we could see like a hand full of stars on a good night and usually one of those was the our own moon, one a street light, another was likely a police helecopter,j pretty sad. Out here it was so clear and dark that the sky lit up with thousands of stars. I even noticed a long grayish strip of cloud that I understand is the milky way? Over the years the towns of Temecula, Murrieta and Hemet have grown quite a bit. Even though I have a small range of hills that surround me and block much of the light from the cities I still do see a brownish glow in the sky from the cities and it has really compromised the night sky..... From my front gate I can see the dome at Palomar (about 16 miles away as the crow flys)

Ive gone to that sight (Heavens Above I think it was called) and found the times that satellites come by. Thats fun too. In fact I can walk out side most any night and if I spend 5 minutes looking straight up Im often rewarded seeing some man made object screaming across the sky.
dougie
9/5/2010 2:30pm
So yesterday I do a search for how to find Andromeda or M42. Different people described which stars to look for in certain constellations etc. I dont know my constellations other than ursa major and minor. Well long story short I went out last night and looked into the sky at about 10 pm. Jupiter was up and I grabbed my binoculars and checked it out for a minute.

Then I started looking around and I found a star and looked just above it and found a fuzzy cirlce of light and as you described it was like a fuzzy smudge. I hadnt spent 2 minutes outside when I found it (whatever it was) Dumb luck? At any rate I grabbed a compass for the hell of it and found it was between NNE and NE about 1/2 way between the horizon and straight up. Any idea what I found? Just guessing (duh) but since youre in HB and Im in Temecula we should see the same thing at the same time right?
borg
9/5/2010 5:23pm
dougie wrote:
So yesterday I do a search for how to find Andromeda or M42. Different people described which stars to look for in certain constellations etc. I...
So yesterday I do a search for how to find Andromeda or M42. Different people described which stars to look for in certain constellations etc. I dont know my constellations other than ursa major and minor. Well long story short I went out last night and looked into the sky at about 10 pm. Jupiter was up and I grabbed my binoculars and checked it out for a minute.

Then I started looking around and I found a star and looked just above it and found a fuzzy cirlce of light and as you described it was like a fuzzy smudge. I hadnt spent 2 minutes outside when I found it (whatever it was) Dumb luck? At any rate I grabbed a compass for the hell of it and found it was between NNE and NE about 1/2 way between the horizon and straight up. Any idea what I found? Just guessing (duh) but since youre in HB and Im in Temecula we should see the same thing at the same time right?
Yup! You found M31 or Andromeda galaxy. M42 is not in our night sky right now. Tonight, look SW fairly low in the sky. You should see lots of stars and some Nebula.
dougie
9/6/2010 10:11am
Didnt see your reply until this morning. I did go out last night at the same time but couldnt find it again. I realize things move but I thought one day later I might still be able to find it. And I might have had I spent some time. I got impatient standing there with a crick in my neck Smile Maybe a lounge chair is the ticket. I'l try again tonight. thanks again.
borg
9/6/2010 4:03pm Edited Date/Time 9/6/2010 4:04pm
dougie wrote:
Didnt see your reply until this morning. I did go out last night at the same time but couldnt find it again. I realize things move...
Didnt see your reply until this morning. I did go out last night at the same time but couldnt find it again. I realize things move but I thought one day later I might still be able to find it. And I might have had I spent some time. I got impatient standing there with a crick in my neck Smile Maybe a lounge chair is the ticket. I'l try again tonight. thanks again.
They don't move that much from day to day if you look at exactly the same time. About 1 degree per day at the celestial equator. When you look South tonight and find Sagittarius you will see lots of stars. You will be looking towards the center of our galaxy. The earlier after dark the better. It will be further East and higher in the sky.

Post a reply to: Some trippy astronomy vids/facts

The Latest