Take The Statue Down Or We Will

TeamGreen
7/17/2012 3:34pm Edited Date/Time 7/29/2012 2:47pm
I'm starting to think that there are some good peeps on the East Coast.

I'm jus' sayin'...
|
IWreckALot
7/17/2012 3:43pm
Referencing the Penn State Statue? I read an article today on Yahoo saying that the NCAA hopes that Penn State will suspend their football program so they don't have to step in and make a decision to do it or not. I definitely believe it would be the right thing for Penn State to do but it wouldn't be the profitable thing to do. I imagine they'll force NCAA into a decision in which they'll piss off as many people as they please.

I 100% agree with you TG. Anything and everything related to any adminstrator involved should be removed from the school and burned in a public bon fire.

If you're not talking about Paterno then sorry for the rant. Ha.
MR. X
7/17/2012 4:58pm
IWreckALot wrote:
Referencing the Penn State Statue? I read an article today on Yahoo saying that the NCAA hopes that Penn State will suspend their football program so...
Referencing the Penn State Statue? I read an article today on Yahoo saying that the NCAA hopes that Penn State will suspend their football program so they don't have to step in and make a decision to do it or not. I definitely believe it would be the right thing for Penn State to do but it wouldn't be the profitable thing to do. I imagine they'll force NCAA into a decision in which they'll piss off as many people as they please.

I 100% agree with you TG. Anything and everything related to any adminstrator involved should be removed from the school and burned in a public bon fire.

If you're not talking about Paterno then sorry for the rant. Ha.
I dont understand why the football players should suffer for what some scumbag POS did.
72kiteboarder
7/17/2012 5:34pm
MR. X wrote:
I dont understand why the football players should suffer for what some scumbag POS did.
Why should a family suffer when their bread winner goes to jail for murder? Maybe we should let him stay out of jail because he has people depending on him right?
captmoto
7/17/2012 5:40pm
The courts are handling all the punishment that needs to be done. It would be horrible to punish the team for this.

The Shop

72kiteboarder
7/17/2012 5:42pm
captmoto wrote:
The courts are handling all the punishment that needs to be done. It would be horrible to punish the team for this.
Why? It was the "program" that protected the chester. Therefore the program needs to suffer.
jndmx
7/17/2012 5:57pm
captmoto wrote:
No they aren't.

The court is punishing the piece of shit that committed the rapes.

The school and it's administration and coaches are not being punished by the courts for setting up the environment that allowed this to go on.
The NCAA should punish the school for that.

I agree that the players are going to lose out and that is too bad but this needs to be done.
yzthumpa
7/17/2012 6:41pm
Whenever they mention that statue, I instantly envision the toppling of the Saddam Hussein statue amongst the cheering masses.
tunedlength
7/17/2012 8:36pm
Yes its unfortunate for the players.
What those boys went through goes way beyond unfortunate,
Players and non playing students should understand that and graciouslly pull the plug on the program for a while.
pitbike502
7/18/2012 2:13am
Why? It was the "program" that protected the chester. Therefore the program needs to suffer.
Id find it hard to believe the guys playing ball had a clue what had taken place. There are guys on that team that hope to make a career from it, have scholarships based on it, that would be a sad day for penn state to shut the fb program down
7/18/2012 3:23am Edited Date/Time 7/18/2012 3:23am
The current players need to be allowed to transfer immediately.

And the program deserves the "death penalty".

SMU got the death penalty for improper benefits. I want to know in what world does anyone live, that "improper benefits" is somehow worse than "improper sexual conduct with children".

Their is a cultural problem in the world of college football on the East coast and in the South. Football actually means more to these people than real life. That is what allowed this to go on. A strong message needs to be sent to wake everyone the fuck up.

Sandusky is a mess. A flawed human being. I believe the things he did werent so much a "choice" but rather compulsive behavior. A person with an incurable disease so to speak. A person not fit for society that is for sure. As grotesque as the things he did were, his "addiction" was for the most part out of his control. Whereas all the people who let it slide, and tried to cover it up, they cannot claim an addiction or being born defective. They made cognoscente choices that had massively horrible results. In some weird way, I almost find what the enablers did worse than Sandusky. I know that aint right, they didnt sexually abuse children, but they did allow it to go on. Willingly.

That football program and all the people that benefit financially from it has no place existing anymore. Especially considering that is a State school, not a private one.
jtomasik
7/18/2012 5:08am
The current players need to be allowed to transfer immediately. And the program deserves the "death penalty". SMU got the death penalty for improper benefits. I...

SMU got the death penalty for improper benefits. I want to know in what world does anyone live, that "improper benefits" is somehow worse than "improper sexual conduct with children".

Their is a cultural problem in the world of college football on the East coast and in the South. Football actually means more to these people than real life. That is what allowed this to go on. A strong message needs to be sent to wake everyone the fuck up.

Sandusky is a mess. A flawed human being. I believe the things he did werent so much a "choice" but rather compulsive behavior. A person with an incurable disease so to speak. A person not fit for society that is for sure. As grotesque as the things he did were, his "addiction" was for the most part out of his control. Whereas all the people who let it slide, and tried to cover it up, they cannot claim an addiction or being born defective. They made cognoscente choices that had massively horrible results. In some weird way, I almost find what the enablers did worse than Sandusky. I know that aint right, they didnt sexually abuse children, but they did allow it to go on. Willingly.

That football program and all the people that benefit financially from it has no place existing anymore. Especially considering that is a State school, not a private one.
Personally I'd rather see something constructive come out of this. College football makes a truckload of money. I say they allow the program to continue, and the football program has to turn over the majority of its profits to organizations who help abused children.
reded
7/18/2012 5:22am Edited Date/Time 7/18/2012 5:25am
jtomasik wrote:
Personally I'd rather see something constructive come out of this. College football makes a truckload of money. I say they allow the program to continue, and...
Personally I'd rather see something constructive come out of this. College football makes a truckload of money. I say they allow the program to continue, and the football program has to turn over the majority of its profits to organizations who help abused children.
I agree with this. Remove everyone who was involved with the cover up, find new people to run the business and let the program continue to make money for other causes. I feel like the students who play ball for Penn State will be the ones who get the worst punishment if the football program is ended.
bsm121
7/18/2012 6:32am
MR. X wrote:
D1 talent won't "suffer"...
bsm121
7/18/2012 6:33am
bsm121 wrote:
D1 talent won't "suffer"...
Let me clarify.

If, by "suffer", you mean transfer to another D1 school where your tuition, room and board and meals are paid for, yeah, I guess they may have to deal with that.
rallendude
7/18/2012 6:51am
The NCAA learned a huge lesson with SMU the first time they applied the death penalty. It ruined the whole institution. Not just the football program. Not just the athletic program. Most of the revenue that comes into these colleges is from their sports program. Tuition is big but not compared to millions in TV and bowl packages.

I am not advocating they get a pass. I think the whole program needs stripped of anyone who has been involved. Those people need black balled from ever being involved in organized sports again. And the program should start over. This will severely hamper it's performance for those that think they should suffer.
Hman144
Fantasy
798th
7/18/2012 7:46am
I was in State College yesterday and saw the plane fly over. I can tell you it didn't play well locally. Turns out the flight originated in Ohio.

There's way more at stake here than just the football program. The injustice done to those innocent youths and their families is inexusable. As would be the penalty that would be paid by the thousands of innocent employees, students, businessess and related individuals that would be hurt by a misplaced and over-reaching punishment.

Have unforgiveable transgressions taken place? Yes. Should persons responsible be held accountable? Yes. But punishing a whole community for the sins of a few is not productive.

H
jtomasik
7/18/2012 9:06am
Penn State football isn't the problem here. It's the staff.

Press criminal charges to the ones who deserve it. Clean house from anyone who was involved. Go after school policy and the administration who polices it...clean it up.

It's stupid to remove the program. It was dumb at SMU. There's way too much money that sport brings in, which the college uses in many, many ways. Leverage that money to do some good.
72kiteboarder
7/18/2012 9:43am
Hman144 wrote:
I was in State College yesterday and saw the plane fly over. I can tell you it didn't play well locally. Turns out the flight originated...
I was in State College yesterday and saw the plane fly over. I can tell you it didn't play well locally. Turns out the flight originated in Ohio.

There's way more at stake here than just the football program. The injustice done to those innocent youths and their families is inexusable. As would be the penalty that would be paid by the thousands of innocent employees, students, businessess and related individuals that would be hurt by a misplaced and over-reaching punishment.

Have unforgiveable transgressions taken place? Yes. Should persons responsible be held accountable? Yes. But punishing a whole community for the sins of a few is not productive.

H
So, is it inexcusable for a wife and children to suffer because the dad went to jail? I mean he committed the crime so why should they suffer right?

Tough shit. the whole program needs to be gutted. And a 10 year, minimum bowl ban for the school.
PaleBlue
7/18/2012 10:07am
Hman144 wrote:
I was in State College yesterday and saw the plane fly over. I can tell you it didn't play well locally. Turns out the flight originated...

H
So, is it inexcusable for a wife and children to suffer because the dad went to jail? I mean he committed the crime so why should...
So, is it inexcusable for a wife and children to suffer because the dad went to jail? I mean he committed the crime so why should they suffer right?

Tough shit. the whole program needs to be gutted. And a 10 year, minimum bowl ban for the school.
Kids suffering for the crimes of their fathers, tough shit? a proper christian soul aren't you? Wives choose their husbands but kids have not choice in their parents. Kind of puts everything else you say on the subject of justice into perspective.

Jaberoni's post earlier made more sense than the rest of the posts here, combined....
Rooster
7/18/2012 10:25am
They need to completely clean house in the administrative end of their football program and then perhaps the public will see that they've made an effort to eliminate the culture that allowed the heinous acts to take place.

I also like the idea that they should also contribute a large percentage of the revenue from the program to programs that help those that have suffered from the kind of abuse that was allowed to happen.

I don't see how the players should be held accountable, but everybody from the head coach down to the equipment manager and the waterboy should be given the boot out the door and blacklisted from the NCAA.

And since shit trickles uphill, they should turf the dean while they're at it.
7/18/2012 10:35am
jtomasik wrote:
Penn State football isn't the problem here. It's the staff. Press criminal charges to the ones who deserve it. Clean house from anyone who was involved...
Penn State football isn't the problem here. It's the staff.

Press criminal charges to the ones who deserve it. Clean house from anyone who was involved. Go after school policy and the administration who polices it...clean it up.

It's stupid to remove the program. It was dumb at SMU. There's way too much money that sport brings in, which the college uses in many, many ways. Leverage that money to do some good.
I dont disagree with you necessarily.

If giving SMU the death penalty was a mistake back then, then this is a prime example of when "past precedence" is not enough of excuse to hand out a equal punishment. Im also not in favor of knee-jerk reactions. Im aware of my flaws from my earlier logic.

But to say that Penn State football isnt part of the problem is misleading. It's the football culture that is almost as guilty as Sandusky. I can agree with you in saying that everyone who was involved be removed and blackballed. But I believe that all that will accomplish is that the next time around, the enablers will do a better job of not getting caught enabling.

The culture of football in that region is the root issue here. That culture needs to have its cage rattled. Firings wont do that IMO. By putting the economics of football more important than the severity of this issue, we are once again re-enforcing the insane notion that football is more important than real life.

And lets not forget, PSU committed much worse "sins" than SMU did. Far worse. "Past precedence" or not. The penalty to the University needs to be stiff.

Im not set in my ways on this debate. I dont know what the proper direction to go is. Im just here for some healthy discussion on the matter. JT, make a convincing enough argument and I'll easily see things your way.

Maybe I'm a lil bent over the fact that at one time in this process, I stuck up for the University and Paterno because at the time and based on the evidence, it seemed to me like they were being punished even though they never actually hurt anyone. Well, as this story unfolded it later became crystal-clear that they were all accomplices in these acts of horror so I had to change my opinion on them.

The more this story gets uncovered, the worse it gets that is for sure. And now that the enablers are being looked into by authorities, expect even more shitty news to be uncovered.

Who would have thought it would end so ugly for JoePa? 10 years ago you would have been crazy to think it come to this. Wild.
ns503
7/18/2012 11:08am
The culture of football in that region is the root issue here. That culture needs to have its cage rattled. Firings wont do that IMO. By putting the economics of football more important than the severity of this issue, we are once again re-enforcing the insane notion that football is more important than real life.

Taking down the statue (for starters) would likely rattle that cage...
MR. X
7/18/2012 2:45pm
Hman144 wrote:

H
So, is it inexcusable for a wife and children to suffer because the dad went to jail? I mean he committed the crime so why should...

If the players on the team were taking part in the behavior then by all means punish the entire team , when a college team gets caught using illegal benefits then the team should suffer as well. Using your way of thinking ,if a CEO gets caught cooking the books then the employees should get put in jail too .
BUTCH
7/18/2012 4:37pm Edited Date/Time 7/18/2012 4:38pm
The current players need to be allowed to transfer immediately. And the program deserves the "death penalty". SMU got the death penalty for improper benefits. I...

Your comments about Sandusky are shocking and totaly wrong! Sounds like you're giving him a pass just like the program did! STFU!
mx 219
Fantasy
1150th
7/18/2012 7:16pm Edited Date/Time 7/18/2012 7:20pm
As a native of PA, though not a fan of Penn State, I think they should take it down plain and simple. Otherwise it will get graffiti or someone will completely take it out.

Everyone says Joe Pa was a good man and around here he was a legend, but I guess he let football get the best of him instead of doing what most good hearted people would do. Dont get me wrong, Im not saying Joe Pa is a bad guy, but he definitely handled this situation about as bad as you can.

Personally, if I had seen Sandusky banging some kid in the shower I would beat the piss out of him and taken the kid to safety.

BTW, there will be more to this story, anyone from PA remember the DA that was killed a few years ago around State College, I heard they were looking into this Sandusky situation, apparently the powers that be didnt like that.
bsm121
7/18/2012 7:24pm
mx 219 wrote:
As a native of PA, though not a fan of Penn State, I think they should take it down plain and simple. Otherwise it will get...
As a native of PA, though not a fan of Penn State, I think they should take it down plain and simple. Otherwise it will get graffiti or someone will completely take it out.

Everyone says Joe Pa was a good man and around here he was a legend, but I guess he let football get the best of him instead of doing what most good hearted people would do. Dont get me wrong, Im not saying Joe Pa is a bad guy, but he definitely handled this situation about as bad as you can.

Personally, if I had seen Sandusky banging some kid in the shower I would beat the piss out of him and taken the kid to safety.

BTW, there will be more to this story, anyone from PA remember the DA that was killed a few years ago around State College, I heard they were looking into this Sandusky situation, apparently the powers that be didnt like that.
yep...they found his laptop at the bottom of a lake/river...missing the hard drive.
7/19/2012 1:08am

BUTCH wrote:
Your comments about Sandusky are shocking and totaly wrong! Sounds like you're giving him a pass just like the program did! STFU!
If you think Im giving him a pass, you have a reading comprehension problem. And more importantly, you completely missed the point of my post.
7/19/2012 1:18am Edited Date/Time 7/19/2012 1:25am
Way to sensationalize and completely mis-interpret me. I may or may not be from "dog killer" land, but you have no right to speak on my behalf and tell people "what I think".

Nowhere did I say we should feel sorry for him. I dont feel sorry for him just like I dont feel sorry for kids born with birth defects.

I said Sandusky was not fit for society. I dont know what more worse I could say about a person than that. Ive been to jail, I know how bad it can be. He's going to suffer more than you could imagine for what he's done.

This thread is NOT about Sandusky. Neither was my post.

But since you want to talk about him...he knew he was doing something wrong, he just couldnt stop himself. He's a defective human being. Maybe even sexually abused as a child himself. I dont know his history but maybe you should take a class or two on psyche before casting judgements.

Typically, child molesters know what they are doing is "wrong" and they are not proud of what they are doing, even if they are "enjoying" it. That may be hard for some of you to understand, but if you've ever dealt with serious drug addiction or watched a friend who has, its a very similar situation. They dont want to do the drugs anymore, but they do them anyways, and regret it immediately. I once had my little brother call me crying and apologizing immediately after falling off the wagon.

To a lessor degree, you see the same behavior with people who are obese/have eating disorders.

And by the way, before you condemn dog fighting, do a lil research into the industrial food complex and how we treat pigs in particular. Way more cruel and inhumane than anything Mike Vick did. So unless you dont eat pork, you are a major hypocrite and/or simply ignorant.
ns503
7/19/2012 4:21am
Nowhere did I say we should feel sorry for him. I dont feel sorry for him just like I dont feel sorry for kids born with birth defects.

Say what?
TeamGreen
7/22/2012 10:15am
Rooster wrote:
They need to completely clean house in the administrative end of their football program and then perhaps the public will see that they've made an effort...
They need to completely clean house in the administrative end of their football program and then perhaps the public will see that they've made an effort to eliminate the culture that allowed the heinous acts to take place.

I also like the idea that they should also contribute a large percentage of the revenue from the program to programs that help those that have suffered from the kind of abuse that was allowed to happen.

I don't see how the players should be held accountable, but everybody from the head coach down to the equipment manager and the waterboy should be given the boot out the door and blacklisted from the NCAA.

And since shit trickles uphill, they should turf the dean while they're at it.
This...tho...I don't know about the Water-Boy.

I'm agreeing w/ Rooster, here...so...be careful...you might wanna take a jacket with you if you're going to Hell (or Ft. McMurray: same address).

Post a reply to: Take The Statue Down Or We Will

The Latest