Work hours?

rucka356
12/14/2017 10:23pm
Does the 40-45hr work week exist anymore? Seems like if you want to make any bucks its dam near impossible to have a life and be home thru the week. Curious how many people work less than 45hrs a week or if it's just my imagination.
|
colintrax
Fantasy
2302nd
12/14/2017 10:31pm
Right now working 4-10's, I'm applying for a position at my work that'll be alternating between 3 and 4 days a week, 12 hour shifts.
Current position varies alot though, this week I got about 37 hours. Sometimes it's 45. Never know, just depends how much tissue we get in.
Huskyman
12/14/2017 11:18pm
Kind of makes me sad to hear about the hours thats demanded to put in working in the US to make a decent living.
I don´t think it´s healthy to put those hours in if you have a family and wants a life outside work.

Living in Sweden and work about 37hrs/week mon-fri. Sure i don´t make a ton of money but we have two kids, a nice house, two new cars and i buy a new dirt bike every year. I don´t think you should aspire to have more than you need.
12/15/2017 12:57am
I do 3 12s usually. Sometimes I only get two twelves in a week. I would hate to be in the position where I needed to work over time. It seems like they just punish you for it with higher taxes and you don't make a whole lot more.
MR. X
12/15/2017 2:24am
My wife and i can live comfortably on 40 hours a week but we live in a small home with a small mortgage payment (less then rent) The past few months i have been doing 8 hours on monday and friday , then starting at 3AM and working 12 on Tue. Wed. Thur. We decided to pay off our car loans and her school debt (about 40k total)before looking for a bigger house. My wife is super against working more then 40 hours a week and keeps me in check from living at work.

The Shop

mxdude105
12/15/2017 2:41am
I work three 12s per week. Usually ends up being around 37hrs when you factor coming in a little early each day. I'm an RN. I can pretty much pick my schedule. I do work occasional night and weekend rotations, which sucks, but it's worth it for the 4 days off I get every week. People who work 5-6 days per week, I honestly have no idea how they get anything done or have any time to pursue their hobbies.

Before I went back to school to do this, I worked in finance. 50+ hour weeks, 8-5 M-F with mandatory OT all the time. I will never go back to that life. Money was great, but beyond a certain point your mental health and well being aren't worth the extra cash no matter how much they throw at you.

There are things about the medical field that suck, just like every other career. But when it comes to schedule, benefits, work/life balance, job security...it's pretty hard to beat.
ATKpilot99
12/15/2017 3:19am
I'm working four 10s plus 8 on Friday right now. The job before this was five 10s plus five hours every other Saturday which is part of the reason I eventually left. I'm ok with the 48 hour week but even at my advanced age (51) I'm considering school and finding a line of work that will get me out of the shop and off my feet. I'm a CNC machinist with some conversational programming experience.
sleeve1
Fantasy
2134th
12/15/2017 3:46am
I work 6:30 to 3:30 M-F. If there is a need for me to work more hours I will. I'm a welder in the aerospace industry and my employer doesn't like the welders to work long hours because the scrap rate has a tendency to go up. There are times that we do work overtime but not often.
ns503
12/15/2017 4:12am
I try to confine it to 35-40 hrs a week. But quite often have to take a couple few hours sometime on a weekend, maybe a couple hours here & there in an evening. Self employed.
MxKing809
Fantasy
158th
12/15/2017 4:47am
I work 5 12’s, or something in that ballpark.

I am salary, with the expectation of 45 hours but my employees work 10 hour days (so I have to be available). A lot of my OT is driving. I have state wide oversight, so I typically leave my house around 5:30 to get to a meeting 2 hours away that’s at 8. Luckily I get paid straight time on OT even though I’m salary, but it still sucks getting home at 6 or 7

I don’t mind the hours. It’s just me and my wife with no kids. If there was a little man running around the house I would probably trim the hours back.

What does suck though is the 41k that Uncle Sam has decided belongs to him this year....
12/15/2017 4:51am
I do all the maintenance and rehab for a couple of buildings my boss owns, it’s been me and one other guy for the last 28 Year’s, and just me when other employees leave or I fire them. I work 42 hours a week , at least. Four months during every summer I have worked about 10-20 hours overtime every week , every damn year!! That doesn’t include my own two rental properties, and the hunny do lists. Did I mention I have been on call for like half my life. Woohoo
newmann
12/15/2017 5:03am
Both the wife and I are pretty much 50 hours a week plus. Business requires us being here M-F plus rental property maintenance as needed. The end game is just to tend to rentals which realistically would require about 5 hours a week total by myself. Getting close, but there have been plenty of 80 hour weeks in the past and most any vacation ever has been crammed into a weekend. Very few times have we ever taken a week off in the past 25 years.
JRT812
12/15/2017 5:31am
About 50. 10 of them WFH on my own at night just to stay caught up with projects and have my weekends.
bball35
12/15/2017 5:46am
60-72 hours a week. 40 hours a week is a vacation.
MR. X
12/15/2017 6:11am
newmann wrote:
Both the wife and I are pretty much 50 hours a week plus. Business requires us being here M-F plus rental property maintenance as needed. The...
Both the wife and I are pretty much 50 hours a week plus. Business requires us being here M-F plus rental property maintenance as needed. The end game is just to tend to rentals which realistically would require about 5 hours a week total by myself. Getting close, but there have been plenty of 80 hour weeks in the past and most any vacation ever has been crammed into a weekend. Very few times have we ever taken a week off in the past 25 years.
There's a saying about business owners ,something about the only people willing to work 80 hours a week to avoid working 40.
Jarid332
Fantasy
1823rd
12/15/2017 6:58am
I live at work.
Titan1
12/15/2017 7:07am
I work 20-30 hours per week...my wife doesn’t work....I have an associates degree...I have 4 kids...a mortgage...ride and race whenever I want...have a bike with all the cool parts Us vet guys can afford but don’t really need.

I say it’s not so much you have to work (self employed is an exception)..as much as it’s picking the wrong career, to much emphasis on college education (which drowns most people in debt, for a career that only earns $50k), hourly/salary jobs only allow more money by working more hours.

bball35
12/15/2017 7:35am
Titan1 wrote:
I work 20-30 hours per week...my wife doesn’t work....I have an associates degree...I have 4 kids...a mortgage...ride and race whenever I want...have a bike with all...
I work 20-30 hours per week...my wife doesn’t work....I have an associates degree...I have 4 kids...a mortgage...ride and race whenever I want...have a bike with all the cool parts Us vet guys can afford but don’t really need.

I say it’s not so much you have to work (self employed is an exception)..as much as it’s picking the wrong career, to much emphasis on college education (which drowns most people in debt, for a career that only earns $50k), hourly/salary jobs only allow more money by working more hours.

I don't know what you do, but I kind of hate you right now.

I agree their is way to much emphasis on college education.
mxtech1
12/15/2017 7:41am
My standard work week is 45-50 hours and about 25% of the time we also work 8-12 hours on Saturdays based on production needs. I commute 45 minutes each way. I am typically out of the house for 11+ hours a day.

I am in a salaried position and we do no get paid for OT until we hit 48+ hours (anything between 40-47 hours we don't get paid for) so if I know I am going to be 40+ hours I try to hit close to 50 hours.

We are working our asses off while we are young to get debt free.

I'm also in graduate school which demands an additional ~10 hours per week.
12/15/2017 7:52am
When I was working for a National Tax Accounting firm I was doing 70 hour weeks on average. I decided the money was not worth it so now I work 50-55 hour weeks, but I have a life on weekends. I get to actually go ride and hang out with my family.
newmann
12/15/2017 7:56am
newmann wrote:
Both the wife and I are pretty much 50 hours a week plus. Business requires us being here M-F plus rental property maintenance as needed. The...
MR. X wrote:
There's a saying about business owners ,something about the only people willing to work 80 hours a week to avoid working 40.
I've always put a lot of hours into work regardless of whether it was for myself or others. It's just the way I'm wired. Making 5-6 times the money and providing a lot of "perks" makes sticking your neck out worthwhile I guess. Doesn't come without a bit of stress...lol.
MudPup545
12/15/2017 8:12am
I put in 40 hours. Occasional weekends, maybe 4 or 5 a year. I'm very fortunate and blessed to make a good wage with excellent benefits. The wife works too and does maybe 55 hours a week. Not rich but, doing good enough to take a decent vacation every other year. Very lucky.
akillerwombat
12/15/2017 9:22am
45 a week at the full time gig.
35ish a week at the freelance gig.
--
80ish hours total a week.

Pretty exhausting but I've got goals that need to be accomplished.
Titan1
12/15/2017 9:36am
Titan1 wrote:
I work 20-30 hours per week...my wife doesn’t work....I have an associates degree...I have 4 kids...a mortgage...ride and race whenever I want...have a bike with all...

bball35 wrote:
I don't know what you do, but I kind of hate you right now.

I agree their is way to much emphasis on college education.
I’m a mortgage loan officer...

I’m a huge fan of careers like that (insurance, real estate agent, loan officer, etc)...high quality of life, flexible schedules, virtually no start up costs, and unlimited earning potential without the high risk of starting and running your own business (in the traditional sense at least).

I can’t even remember that last time I worked more than 4 days a week...and I very rarely put in more than 8 hours on the days when I’m in the office.

Now, when I first started my career (15 years ago), I was working at least 40 hours a week, and on weekends (whenever the phone rang) because I didn’t have the clientele and referral relationships in place, so I had to spend most of my time finding clients and the rest of it pushing paper to get the loans closed....now, after “paying my dues”, if you will...I have the clientele, and great referral relationships in place, that I don’t have to spend time finding clients...I also have 3 rockstar employees who do most of the work as far as processing and underwriting loans for me. I’d say they all average between 30-40 hours/week, and they all work from home...but they are paid well (my underwriter is at $95k, my pricessor is at $60k, and my assistant is at like $35k), because I can’t afford to lose them. I could do the work of my employees-except my underwriter-and save myself $95/year...but I’d have to work double the hours, and have triple the stress...no thanks! That is $95k well spent!

I make a little bit more money every year...

The top guys at the company I work for-doing he same thing I do-are easily making well into the 7 figures...I don’t know what their quality of life is, or how they’ve built their business. But they close about 2 or 3 times as many loans as I do every year, and all have way more staff.

Find a job with a flexible schedule, and unlimited earning potential, and if you actually enjoy it, that’s a plus!...And then you are only limited by your own ambition and creativity and drive.
mxb2
12/15/2017 9:45am
newmann wrote:
MR. X wrote:
newmann wrote:
I've always put a lot of hours into work regardless of whether it was for myself or others. It's just the way I'm wired. Making 5-6...
I've always put a lot of hours into work regardless of whether it was for myself or others. It's just the way I'm wired. Making 5-6 times the money and providing a lot of "perks" makes sticking your neck out worthwhile I guess. Doesn't come without a bit of stress...lol.
Rolex isn't cheap.Grinning
Kenny Lingus
12/15/2017 10:28am
I'll work 60 hrs for myself before I'll work 20 for the same pay for someone else. Something inherently wrong with someone putting a hourly value on your life.
Hut
12/15/2017 10:39am
I have worked a scheduled 5-10s for the past couple years with spotty overtime 6 and 7 tens. I am done for the year now and enjoying the time off.
Turning 50 in 2 months and have worked my entire adult life (not a pencil pusher) so it has taken it's toll. 40 hours sounds better and better to me. I should have done better with my money and I could hang up my tools by now but I will go 10 or 12 more.
NorCal 50+
12/15/2017 10:50am
I was gone 12 hours a day, five days a week for the first three years of my daughter's life. Commute of up to 2 hours one way on a bad day. Miserable. Got a new work-at-home job and now I am around her too much and have to make excuses to leave the house. Much more reasonable work load, but I took a pay cut.
scott_nz
Fantasy
597th
12/15/2017 11:34am
I own my own business and have 10 staff on the floor and a part time office girl,

i usually work 7-4 weekdays, and do the occasional big quote at night, or Saturday ,

most the boys work 40 hours (7.30 to 4), 1/2 hour for lunch) i pay time and a half for overtime and only 2 guys do it regularly , although 4 of them are in today to get some stuff finished before xmas,

When i owned a motorcycle shop it was not uncommon to work weeks on end, we were closed sunday but i ran alot of rides and races on sunday so it was like working, it burnt me out on moto really,
newmann
12/15/2017 11:54am
I'll work 60 hrs for myself before I'll work 20 for the same pay for someone else. Something inherently wrong with someone putting a hourly value...
I'll work 60 hrs for myself before I'll work 20 for the same pay for someone else. Something inherently wrong with someone putting a hourly value on your life.
For the same pay? Sign me up! I'm getting tired of being the "daddy". I've decided I could sack groceries. No doubt I would be putting some eggs on the bottom after all I've suffered through dealing with the public.Laughing
akillerwombat
12/15/2017 12:16pm
I'll work 60 hrs for myself before I'll work 20 for the same pay for someone else. Something inherently wrong with someone putting a hourly value...
newmann wrote:
For the same pay? Sign me up! I'm getting tired of being the "daddy". I've decided I could sack groceries. No doubt I would be putting...
For the same pay? Sign me up! I'm getting tired of being the "daddy". I've decided I could sack groceries. No doubt I would be putting some eggs on the bottom after all I've suffered through dealing with the public.Laughing
I second that; I'd work 20 hours on that job and work the other 40 for myself.

Post a reply to: Work hours?

The Latest