1981 Yamaha YZ125 frame

leisure67
Edited Date/Time 11/12/2014 9:29am
Hey everyone,
Can any one tell me if a 1982 YZ125 frame is the same as a 1981? I would like to replace the frame on my '81 because it has some pretty good battle scars at the rear. See a lot of '82's for sale but not many '81's.

Appreciate any help.

Todd
|
newmann
3/8/2013 5:08am
Totally different linkage suspension setup in the rear on the 1982.
leisure67
3/8/2013 5:13am
newmann wrote:
Totally different linkage suspension setup in the rear on the 1982.
Not what I wanted to hear but thanks for responding!!
newmann
3/8/2013 6:35am
What all is damaged on yours? Got pics? And have you asked around on Marks Motorcycle Swapmeet yet? I would think an 81 YZ125 frame would be a fairly easy one to find.
leisure67
3/8/2013 6:52am
newmann wrote:
What all is damaged on yours? Got pics? And have you asked around on Marks Motorcycle Swapmeet yet? I would think an 81 YZ125 frame would...
What all is damaged on yours? Got pics? And have you asked around on Marks Motorcycle Swapmeet yet? I would think an 81 YZ125 frame would be a fairly easy one to find.
There are 3 places that the upper back has been welded back onto the frame. Looks like it was broken off or at least partially broken off? The loop(?) that is under the seat is bent up pretty bad as well. Dont have any pictures here now but can get some. Never heard of Marks Motorcycle Swapmeet. Will check it out.
Thanks newmann.

The Shop

Deek22
3/8/2013 10:42am
leisure67 wrote:
Hey everyone, Can any one tell me if a 1982 YZ125 frame is the same as a 1981? I would like to replace the frame on...
Hey everyone,
Can any one tell me if a 1982 YZ125 frame is the same as a 1981? I would like to replace the frame on my '81 because it has some pretty good battle scars at the rear. See a lot of '82's for sale but not many '81's.

Appreciate any help.

Todd
there is an 81 125 frame on CL in monrovia CA right now LA county
leisure67
3/8/2013 11:02am
leisure67 wrote:
Hey everyone, Can any one tell me if a 1982 YZ125 frame is the same as a 1981? I would like to replace the frame on...
Hey everyone,

Appreciate any help.

Todd
Deek22 wrote:
there is an 81 125 frame on CL in monrovia CA right now LA county
Thanks.
Cant find the ad but will keep looking.
leisure67
3/9/2013 1:50am
berniepiet wrote:
I have a spare one if you need one.
Very interested!! Email sent.

Thanks!!
3/9/2013 7:55am
VERY IMPORTANT!!!!!

Make sure the seal area on the lower(bottom) is not corroded in any way . In the steering tube area,bottom area.

Strip the frame , dry film moly coat both seal area's -upper, lower . Use 2 Honda seal stacked in the upper
Area(4.00 each), follow the assembly manual exactly, new o ring's etc

Lower seal use stock set-up, or a 2 lip press in frame seal, versus the stem seal,

I just remachined the steering stem for bronze bushing's to prevent rust issue

And new bearing's
leisure67
3/10/2013 3:23am
VERY IMPORTANT!!!!! Make sure the seal area on the lower(bottom) is not corroded in any way . In the steering tube area,bottom area. Strip the frame...
VERY IMPORTANT!!!!!

Make sure the seal area on the lower(bottom) is not corroded in any way . In the steering tube area,bottom area.

Strip the frame , dry film moly coat both seal area's -upper, lower . Use 2 Honda seal stacked in the upper
Area(4.00 each), follow the assembly manual exactly, new o ring's etc

Lower seal use stock set-up, or a 2 lip press in frame seal, versus the stem seal,

I just remachined the steering stem for bronze bushing's to prevent rust issue

And new bearing's
I have replaced everything in the steering tube, except the obsolete inside out backwards seal, with new Yamaha parts. Thought maybe i would get lucky & the the old obsolete seal wouldnt leak if I cleaned everything up really good... I was wrong. It still leaks a little.
I am going to prove the fact that I have very little experience with these bikes by asking stupid questions here. I think I follow you on the two seals in the upper area -adding a 2nd seal in the area that is already there but not used by Yamaha? Do you have the Honda part number for the 2nd seal. I have already replaced the factory one with a new Yamaha seal.
I have seen the obsolete lower seal on ebay for $129. Cant see paying that for a seal!! Any info on the 2 lip press in frame seal?
I can get the machining done. Any info on the process of installing the bronze bushings?

Thanks Rob!!!
leisure67
3/10/2013 3:28am
This is a picture of a different project but you can see our victim in the background.
3/10/2013 5:32pm Edited Date/Time 3/10/2013 5:38pm
$129.00 seal= alek power sports of Erie penn?

Crazy ripoff!

Ok seal info. = ID OD Height. All in mm, or mm x .03937 = inch / decimal size
Yamaha = 28 37 8
Honda part # 91201-ksr-a01 = 28 37 7
SKF. = 28 37 10

Your local Honda deal should have the Honda master seal and bearing catalog, or you can download one
With all the seals and bearings available thru Honda dealers

You can stack a Honda part number 91201-ksr -a01, = is 1 mm less in height than the stock Yamaha seal on top of the
Yamaha seal, there is plenty of room for 2 seals( I just did this about 2months ago)

As far as the sleeving steering stem-easy job, your repair machinist ( not a production machinist, or cnc machinist)
Should know right off the top of his head the thickness of the sleeve, and how to install it, and the best material to use,
Or the best material he has on his shelf., and how much to remove from the stem, if it has corrosion issues.
If he does not know- move on to the next shop.

I had plans of machining new stems from 17-4 ph stainless, but the cost would be about $700.00 each including heat treatment!
They are actually a very complex part, double ID's, pressed in plug(and pinned) in the center, cross drill coolant holes,
And a plug pressed in and welded at the top, then center drilled , and final machined( threads cut) wow!

I made my stem sleeves out of ams 4640, and shrink fit the sleeves to the machined stem's( I made a spare stem assembly)
When I machine custom parts from billet, I always make extra's once the tooling is set-up, and running.
Once on the stem, install in a lathe, and finish to size , and concentric, I finished mine oversize to put more pressure
On the seal lip

Then I coated the stem with a dry film moly lube, and baked

DO NOT WELD UP THE CORROSION ON THE STEM, and machine back to size!

The bottom seal is a little different
You can insert a small spreader ring into the middle slot on the bottom seal( would need to be machined) precisely
ID,OD to fit right thus putting outward pressure on the seal lip= this is if you want to use your old seal

New lip seal for bottom
OD= 1.655 ID 1.2. 43mm 30 x 8 If I remember right my notes are in my shop

I am currently machining out the cast iron bearing liners in the rear hub, and fitting with a 4000 series high strength steel
To properly secure the rear wheel bearing's( weak spot on the hub)

Parts partially complete on the bench- for my personal YZ125H

Aluminum brake pedal's
Billet exhaust dampners
Billet exhaust rings
Billet brake stay
More Titanium bolts
Bronze bushing's for the floating brake assembly
leisure67
3/11/2013 8:33am
Thanks for the info Rob.
Appreciate it!
6/5/2013 7:25am
My bike is done, with 9 lb weight reduction
currently.

Remove or replace the steel

handlebars
kickstand /and mount
both bearing hub spacer's (2lbs ) wow!
front, rear axle spacers ,nuts
all the steel washers, spacer's
silencer mount hardware
hose clamps
all the small 10mm head bolts, lock washers
Rear brake pedal, floating brake spacer's
Brake arm
kicker pivot pin( replace with A2 drilled thru tool steel
heat treat)
Foot peg bolts hardware
plus more.......
leisure67
6/12/2013 11:57am
Did you ever finish the bike?
Haven't had a lot of time to mess with it lately. Getting a little closer. This is a crappy picture of how she sits now.
newmann
6/12/2013 2:38pm
My bike is done, with 9 lb weight reduction currently. Remove or replace the steel handlebars kickstand /and mount both bearing hub spacer's (2lbs ) wow...
My bike is done, with 9 lb weight reduction
currently.

Remove or replace the steel

handlebars
kickstand /and mount
both bearing hub spacer's (2lbs ) wow!
front, rear axle spacers ,nuts
all the steel washers, spacer's
silencer mount hardware
hose clamps
all the small 10mm head bolts, lock washers
Rear brake pedal, floating brake spacer's
Brake arm
kicker pivot pin( replace with A2 drilled thru tool steel
heat treat)
Foot peg bolts hardware
plus more.......
9 pounds is all? I think the swingarm and shock replacement on my 76 CR125 project adds up to more than that!Laughing I don't think the engineers at Honda could have made those items any heavier if they tried. What a turd they built when they "redesigned" that bike for 76.
6/13/2013 10:36am
yes, currently that was the total, The SS spokes, sun rims
were pretty much a wash on the lbs, and hub mods to
strenghten the really only weak link on the bike

I will be swapping a few more items with Titanium
6/13/2013 10:39am
The 79 CR250 I built was about 15 lbs less when i finished the bike

Lots of cheap steel removed .
11/10/2014 3:04pm
Lots of good info here Rob Boucher thanks! I'm a machinist / toolmaker by trade and owner / operator of a small six man shop with edm, cnc and conventional machine tools. Your posts here are very informative and inspire confidence if I go ahead with the 'H' model I have lined up semi-locally. Was tempted by an air cooled 125G or 250G at first but I see the H as being sort of an add on works kit for the G haha. Less maintenance once everything is dialed in and I can live with the high rad connection complexity by reworking the whole thing like you did. Mind you I would go with a 250 air cooled G or H if there were any but hard to find. I am going to race it, it will not be a garage queen. Just love the looks, had a YZ125F from new as a teenager. Always wanted the G or H and love the simple monoshock design.
11/12/2014 6:41am
Some parts are getting hard to find, and i know of at least 5 complete resto's being worked on now! find your parts asap
Since you own a shop, you can fab most
parts
You can leave the stem in the triple and turn with no problem to machine sleeve area's
or press out, i have done it both ways
You can also fab up a complete lower stem
seal using o'rings similar to what a submersible pump uses by the impellar
area
or sleeve the frame to use a regular lip seal
link on

water pump impellar
lower seal
front nylon cable guides

feel free to contact me
11/12/2014 7:17am
Thanks Rob, way cool !
Hey I went with the '80 air cooled CR125 after all, got it for 150, pretty complete.
This will be my first resto, we'll see how it goes.
I'll do a YZ later on in time, but in 250 when a deal comes my way locally.
Ideally an F or a G, want to stay in the air cooled class.
But thanks again for the encouragement.
There are lots of Boucher family's in Québec !
11/12/2014 9:29am
yes, My great(x3)grandparents lived in Quebec in the late 1700's, my great grandparents moved to mn in the 1900's
10/16/2017 6:24pm
Nice thread. I am restoring my 1981 YZ125H with my son and I have a question. How far down the steering stem do I install the top steering stem seal? I disassembled the bike completely a long time ago and forgot where the top seal is positioned. I saw a pick of a used one on EBay and it was pushed all the way down below the hole drilled in the center of the tubular stem. Is this the correct position?

Post a reply to: 1981 Yamaha YZ125 frame

The Latest