1983 Honda CR480

LouDog
Edited Date/Time 2/5/2018 6:23am
Does anyone have any info for aftermarket parts, pipes, hop up tricks, foot pegs, plastics, etc. Im thinking about getting one and racing vintage races. Ive found a few but some of these guys seem to want alot for them. Thanks Louie
|
reded
3/7/2013 5:09pm
The 1983 CR480 is a damn fine dirtbike. The suspension was a little soft but they handled well and the motor was strong with fairly broad spread.

The worst part about the 480 is starting it. They're notoriously stubborn to start and the left side kicker doesn't help matters. I believe the trick to starting was priming them by blowing into the overflow tube on the carb.
ben990
3/7/2013 6:33pm
I have a 1984 Honda CR480 and it is awesome vintage weapon! Parts are fairly easy to come by, but as reded said, they are somewhat hard to start.

DC Plastics (http://www.dcvmx.com) has a lot of stuff for this bike.

I put a decompression button on the cylinder head, and it makes it 1000 times easier to start. It was an easy mod and works great. I also put wider stock CR footpegs on it, and a kick starter from a TRX quad, which seems to let me give it a better kick.

newmann
3/7/2013 7:54pm
LouDog wrote:
Does anyone have any info for aftermarket parts, pipes, hop up tricks, foot pegs, plastics, etc. Im thinking about getting one and racing vintage races. Ive...
Does anyone have any info for aftermarket parts, pipes, hop up tricks, foot pegs, plastics, etc. Im thinking about getting one and racing vintage races. Ive found a few but some of these guys seem to want alot for them. Thanks Louie
Peter at VMXracing.com has loads of stuff for the CR480. His plastics are nice, shiny looking stuff whereas the DC plastics are dull and grainy looking. They have bllet triples that give you better bar positioning if you don't like the layback positioning of the stockers. Pipes silencers, decals, air filters, big pegs, seat foams and covers .....all there and usually in stock. Race Tech has put a lot of time into vintage suspension program and can make the suspension work great. Front forks with minor machining can allow you to install the 87 CR250 upper tubes and internals into the lower legs which have the backing plate lug for the drum brakes. The 87 CR250 forks are still considered some of the best that ever were.

Good luck and post up some pics when you get going.
LouDog
3/8/2013 8:43am
Thanks everyone for your info. Im also hearing some guys are modifing the flywheel and putting on a flat side carb is this necessary. Thanks again.

The Shop

FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4231st
3/8/2013 8:46am
I believe the late model TRX kicker works on those and is an improvement. A guy was selling them as "custom made" awhile back. I picked a couple up to see if they could be adapted to replace the POS on the 78-80 250, but got help through another avenue. So, be happy to off those to anyone for what I paid if interested.
zaz696
3/9/2013 8:28am
Lou,
I've been racing an 83 for several years and have had good luck with it. Decomperssor is a good mod if you are older or have bad knees. I use a stock pipe, Dg silencer and Mossbarger reeds, 16oz flywheel weight, stock motor otherwise and it works fine. Modern YZ pegs fit with a little grinding, I use the 87 fork internals and it works great but Race Tech can set you up with emulators and springs. Rear springs are hard to find, but an 82 spring works good as it is much heavier than the 83. I use a WP shock and Simons link and the overall package is OK. If you are racing AHRMA you are stuck with the stock carb or a Mikuni TM flatslide, but a carb off a modern cr 500 works best.
There is a guy on the cr 480 yahoo group that makes flywheel weights and repop Simons Links. Hope this helps!
LouDog
3/9/2013 9:54am
I believe the late model TRX kicker works on those and is an improvement. A guy was selling them as "custom made" awhile back. I picked...
I believe the late model TRX kicker works on those and is an improvement. A guy was selling them as "custom made" awhile back. I picked a couple up to see if they could be adapted to replace the POS on the 78-80 250, but got help through another avenue. So, be happy to off those to anyone for what I paid if interested.
Hey FTE how much are the kick starters.
LouDog
3/9/2013 9:58am
LouDog wrote:
Does anyone have any info for aftermarket parts, pipes, hop up tricks, foot pegs, plastics, etc. Im thinking about getting one and racing vintage races. Ive...
newmann wrote:
Peter at VMXracing.com has loads of stuff for the CR480. His plastics are nice, shiny looking stuff whereas the DC plastics are dull and grainy looking...
Peter at VMXracing.com has loads of stuff for the CR480. His plastics are nice, shiny looking stuff whereas the DC plastics are dull and grainy looking. They have bllet triples that give you better bar positioning if you don't like the layback positioning of the stockers. Pipes silencers, decals, air filters, big pegs, seat foams and covers .....all there and usually in stock. Race Tech has put a lot of time into vintage suspension program and can make the suspension work great. Front forks with minor machining can allow you to install the 87 CR250 upper tubes and internals into the lower legs which have the backing plate lug for the drum brakes. The 87 CR250 forks are still considered some of the best that ever were.

Good luck and post up some pics when you get going.
Thanks Newman I get on here all the time and I have to say you have alot of bitchen bikes. Thanks Louie
LouDog
3/9/2013 9:59am
zaz696 wrote:
Lou, I've been racing an 83 for several years and have had good luck with it. Decomperssor is a good mod if you are older or...
Lou,
I've been racing an 83 for several years and have had good luck with it. Decomperssor is a good mod if you are older or have bad knees. I use a stock pipe, Dg silencer and Mossbarger reeds, 16oz flywheel weight, stock motor otherwise and it works fine. Modern YZ pegs fit with a little grinding, I use the 87 fork internals and it works great but Race Tech can set you up with emulators and springs. Rear springs are hard to find, but an 82 spring works good as it is much heavier than the 83. I use a WP shock and Simons link and the overall package is OK. If you are racing AHRMA you are stuck with the stock carb or a Mikuni TM flatslide, but a carb off a modern cr 500 works best.
There is a guy on the cr 480 yahoo group that makes flywheel weights and repop Simons Links. Hope this helps!
Thanks zaz696 thats alot of good info.
riv187
12/2/2017 6:34am Edited Date/Time 12/2/2017 6:39am
CR480s can have 2 distinctive different personalities. Low hard hitting like a modern 450,,or with a top end charge like a large 250. I rode another fellows and he went the PK carb,PFR(?) pipe,roost boost ignition, stock compression, and his was not rideable for me..super quick low hit like modern 450. I couldn't get the knack of it. Mine I went with another aftermarket cone pipe( no markings early Krause or PC I think),,cut the blue or green wire like magazines said, stock carb and ignition, cut the chamber larger for lower compression, boysen reeds. Mine is a screamer...soft (for a open bike) delivery off bottom that builds and explodes into midrange and continues into a nice over rev. With the lower compression mine starts consistent and easy even for my 140lbs. I'm a 125 type rider and like the way mine is. Ironically years ago we went raced in a big event together with FLVMX vs SEVMX. Each club picked 10 best for a final race shootout . He is better rider,,he finished 2nd,me 3rd out of 20..I was screaming mine so hard the tail pipe smoked for 5 minutes after the race. I'd highly recommend getting Eric Gorr to cut the combustion chamber and add a decompression. This will ease starting and lesson the pings, .

2/3/2018 2:50pm
I have question about the EGR decomp button. I just got my CR480 head back from EGR today after having the button installed. I notice the button can be pushed in or out but is not spring loaded like the lever activated ones I'm used to on 400 Maicos. There are no instructions so I'm wondering is it supposed to left out for starting and then manually pushed in once running or...?? BTW- very quick turn around from EGR and the quality of the work looks great.
TTperra
2/4/2018 6:09am
The common ones, you push in before you start, pressure in combustion chamber close the valve
2/4/2018 11:59am
Thanks that’s sort of what I figured. I found a video on YouTube of a chainsaw with basically the same style. It works well- that beast feels like a 100 when I kick now
2/5/2018 5:30am
Kaaden's Theory, How much did Eric charge you for the decompression valve and the install? I sent him an email asking over a week ago and have not had a reply.

Thanks
2/5/2018 6:23am
It was $135 including shipping. He also cleaned up some pitting in the combustion area. I had better luck communicating with him via text rather than email which he didn’t answer.

Post a reply to: 1983 Honda CR480

The Latest