1986 CR250

vet323
7/31/2011 6:43pm Edited Date/Time 7/5/2012 2:50pm
Found a bike I have been looking for for a few years, turns out a guy about a half-mile from me had one in his garage. I saw it yesterday while driving past, stopped and talked with him about it and $50 later, it was in my truck.

Just got back from the shop and a partial tear-down/inspection and, although it is pretty complete, I will need a couple things. I wonder if anyone has any of the following or a good source:

Head stay
Fork boots (w/clamps)
Seat foam & cover
Carb clamps

Also, the power valves were both loose, the bolt and nut came apart on the right side and were missing on the left. And if someone can tell me how to adjust the valves when I do put it back together , that would be appreciated. I plan to get it running, service the suspension and ride it a little bit, then tear it down and build an RJ replica over the winter.
|
nine1seven
8/1/2011 7:40am
That is certainly a good price!

I just did an 87 rebuild so I may be able to help. I have the honda service manual and could photocopy and send you the pages you need to adjust the power valves. I have an extra set of fork boots with clamps I'll sell you cheap. I have quite a few other parts left over from my build that I'm going to sell so let me know about anything else you may need.

Off the top of my head here's an incomplete list: an original gold front rim in great condition, rear rim with a flat spot and crack, Used pro-circuit pipe, Used OEM silencer in good shape, re-plated rear spokes and nipples, rear hub, rear brake disc, extra clutch plates, repairable right side case, sprockets, front number plate, front fender, complete set of forks, a new chain slider (no longer available from Honda), new chain guide (also no longer available), new 87 cylinder head gasket (not sure it's the same from 86 to 87), new exhaust gasket, used radiators, 87 cylinder head in good condition, new radiator cap, new water pump impeller.
vet323
8/1/2011 9:16am
nine1seven wrote:
That is certainly a good price! I just did an 87 rebuild so I may be able to help. I have the honda service manual and...
That is certainly a good price!

I just did an 87 rebuild so I may be able to help. I have the honda service manual and could photocopy and send you the pages you need to adjust the power valves. I have an extra set of fork boots with clamps I'll sell you cheap. I have quite a few other parts left over from my build that I'm going to sell so let me know about anything else you may need.

Off the top of my head here's an incomplete list: an original gold front rim in great condition, rear rim with a flat spot and crack, Used pro-circuit pipe, Used OEM silencer in good shape, re-plated rear spokes and nipples, rear hub, rear brake disc, extra clutch plates, repairable right side case, sprockets, front number plate, front fender, complete set of forks, a new chain slider (no longer available from Honda), new chain guide (also no longer available), new 87 cylinder head gasket (not sure it's the same from 86 to 87), new exhaust gasket, used radiators, 87 cylinder head in good condition, new radiator cap, new water pump impeller.
Hey 917-I would be interested in the fork boots & clamps, chain guide and sprockets (if the sprockets are decent). This bike is in pretty good, repairable shape. It still has the original front tire. I need a head stay for sure, cause it is gone, and I am missing a bolt & nut from one side of the power valve . I wonder if your Pro Circuit pipe would fit my bike? I know Team Honda ran Pro Circuit in that era, so it would be cool to use that pipe if it works.
nine1seven
8/1/2011 4:29pm
I'm sure the 86-87 used the same pipe but I will check it out to make sure. I will take some pictures of the fork boots, clamps, chain guide, etc. and email them to you if you send me your address. The chain guide part I am talking about is the inner white plastic part, not the aluminum outer part.
jtracing6
8/1/2011 11:53pm
Chain guides are not the same for 86-87.
I have NOS chain guides for the 86 minus the wear block
I'm sure I have the head stays and I have a broken engine, so tell me which bolt is missing and I'll dig it out for you.
The pipes are different part numbers and look slightly different around the mid-pipe joint. You may need a mid-pipe and possibly silencer.

The Shop

vet323
8/2/2011 7:03am
jtracing6 wrote:
Chain guides are not the same for 86-87. I have NOS chain guides for the 86 minus the wear block I'm sure I have the head...
Chain guides are not the same for 86-87.
I have NOS chain guides for the 86 minus the wear block
I'm sure I have the head stays and I have a broken engine, so tell me which bolt is missing and I'll dig it out for you.
The pipes are different part numbers and look slightly different around the mid-pipe joint. You may need a mid-pipe and possibly silencer.
JT-a head stay would be great! Both sides of mine and the bolts are gone. The wear block on my chain guide is the main thing I need (of course). I may be interested in NOS guides anyway (for when I really start my restoration).

The bolt I need for the HPP is a small 6mm bolt (10mm head) and nut that goes through where the linkage connects to the valve on the side of the head, just inside the cover. The bolt has a small shoulder so that the linkage can move freely after it's tightened down. The bolt and nut were just laying inside one of the covers, but the other side had the linkage unconnected and the bolt was gone.

I will have to do some investigating about the pipe, maybe it can be made to fit, but from what I remember (admittedly, not much), the power characteristics of the 86 and 87 were different, so maybe I should consider that, too. What are your thoughts?
CamP
8/2/2011 10:01am
Pro Circuit still has '86 CR250 pipes. Their order page doesn't show the '87 so I'd assume that it was different and has been discontinued.
jtracing6
8/2/2011 11:00am Edited Date/Time 8/2/2011 11:03am
Vet323
I've found the pair of head stays, Can't promise on bolts but I'll look at my other 1986 CR250 and check the length.
I have some power valve bolts but they don't look the same as my 86 shop manual diagram. I'll check to see if they are 87 power valves. The engine was broken (literally) when I got it.
Look at hotfootmoto.com or on ebay a guy under "jesusislordandgod" (?) they both remake chain guide and swingarm slider parts.
I have some usable chain guides and swingarm sliders if you don't want to buy new, you could get the wear block from above.
I have a NOS Arrow pipe for the 86 but postage to the US would be expensive?

Back to the garage!
vet323
8/2/2011 12:23pm
Thanks, JT! Let me know what you have.
jtracing6
8/2/2011 1:24pm
vet323
Ok, I've found:-
4 x Fork boot clamps
power valve bolt
2 x head stays
3 x bolts
swing arm chain slider used
chain guide used
chain slap plate used
Brake Reservoir, Fork and Disc Guard sets with all hardware and Showa stickers.

http://www.hotfootmoto.com/Honda_1985-1986.html

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CR-250-CR250-RG-1986-Seat-Cover-OEM-Style-NEW…

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Race-Quads-For-Kids/_i.html?rt=nc&_sid=5540758…

This guy doesn't show the chain guide and slider but he should have stock as he copied one of my NOS.
Hope this gets you going?
vet323
8/2/2011 4:46pm
CamP wrote:
Pro Circuit still has '86 CR250 pipes. Their order page doesn't show the '87 so I'd assume that it was different and has been discontinued.
NICE!
I checked on the hotfoot site and got a wear block, no problem. Maybe we can make a deal on the boot clamps, power valve bolt/nut, head stay/bolts and I would like to find some gray fork and disc guards (like the factory used then), if that is what you have, lets talk.
vet323
8/2/2011 4:49pm
CamP wrote:
Yep, I looked at their site and saw that, I also saw that they no longer have a silencer for the '86 (but they do show one for an '87 even though they don't have a pipe anymore!).
8/8/2011 1:37pm Edited Date/Time 8/19/2011 9:09am
Might still have an '86 seat at my parents. Back in '86 I moved up from the 125 to the 250 and felt a bit short on the bike. The 125 had a lower seat, but fit on the 250 (just as some taller riders put a 250 seat on a 125). Will have to check which seat is there. Back in the day however a lot of us removed the CR and Honda logo from the seat to look more works (of course we were a year too late for that look as the production bikes became the AMA requirement. Will check to see what I have when I get over there next weekend.

Seat is missing.
barkhard696
7/4/2012 12:07pm
After

Check with Marc at FullFlaoter.com. He may still have some parts left over from his resto of my '86.
jtracing6
7/5/2012 2:50pm Edited Date/Time 7/5/2012 2:50pm
Hon

My Honda CR250 1986

Post a reply to: 1986 CR250

The Latest