Boss MX NorCal

Sondy132001
10/10/2011 4:59pm
Woo hoo Fred Dion now that's a blast from the past !! Nice to see you here ! I printed this out for my dad to read !

Sondra Peters aka Stu's daughter
10/10/2011 7:04pm
Woo hoo Fred Dion now that's a blast from the past !! Nice to see you here ! I printed this out for my dad to...
Woo hoo Fred Dion now that's a blast from the past !! Nice to see you here ! I printed this out for my dad to read !

Sondra Peters aka Stu's daughter
Sondy Hey you have good genes I really `thought a lot of your old man. Say hey to him for me . Hope all is well with him
Sano97
10/14/2011 10:06am
Man that brings back memories,I got alot of old boss motocross flyers and old cmc flyers, must people dont realize
What stu brought to the u.s. Really admire the guy

The Shop

Nuklear
10/23/2011 1:48am
Holy Cow! Fred Dion rises up and speaks out... I attended a gillion Dion races and was a pain in Fred's behind now and again. But last I recall we were getting along fine last time I saw him. I think I even announced a couple of his last events. You are so right, Fred. CMC races were where it was at!!! I miss those times and have loads of incredible memories from those days. Nice to hear Fref is still staying active in the sport. Maybe our paths's will cross again soon.
10/28/2011 5:18pm
Sano97 wrote:
Man that brings back memories,I got alot of old boss motocross flyers and old cmc flyers, must people dont realize What stu brought to the u.s...
Man that brings back memories,I got alot of old boss motocross flyers and old cmc flyers, must people dont realize
What stu brought to the u.s. Really admire the guy
Rich Fern Hi Buddy Living in Florida Doing Good Hope you are the same Fred fdion39@gmail.com
8/9/2012 4:07pm Edited Date/Time 8/9/2012 4:08pm
Were the Boss and CMC ever at Redwood Acres, Garberville or Ruth Lake in the '70s? I left California in '72 with a return in '75-77 and then '79. Trying to remember where my CMC days were.

My earliest memories are "Lets" in Humboldt in 1969-71. Richter and Moffatt ruled the 125s and who can forget Barnes & his 501 (stinger & no silencer of course).
8/9/2012 4:19pm
Were the Boss and CMC ever at Redwood Acres, Garberville or Ruth Lake in the '70s? I left California in '72 with a return in '75-77...
Were the Boss and CMC ever at Redwood Acres, Garberville or Ruth Lake in the '70s? I left California in '72 with a return in '75-77 and then '79. Trying to remember where my CMC days were.

My earliest memories are "Lets" in Humboldt in 1969-71. Richter and Moffatt ruled the 125s and who can forget Barnes & his 501 (stinger & no silencer of course).
PrivateerMX....We did a couple races at Oasis Raceway near Clear Lake around 75-76 and had a lot of fun doing them...Of course you remember Eddie Brown and his crew...And my Buddy, Pat Richter, who was one of the great talents in the sport.
Most of my races were around Sacto and the Bay area. Long gone days but well remembered.
8/9/2012 9:05pm
OK. I remember Clear Lake, too. Garberville was smaller but known enough to have Dick Mann stop in, which is where I met him.

I've ridden with Richter several times, I always considered him a hometome boy (though he was Fortuna and I was further north). I mentioned the Maurice Lets track in Humboldt. In those days Pat was a wildman teen. When he was upright he was very fast.

When he returned from the 1976 Trans-AMA he rode an exhibition at Redwood Acres, Eureka. I busted out my '74 125 Elsinore and holeshot. I have a picture of him way back there behind me. I also have a mental picture of his rear fender just seconds later. ;-)

I loved seeing him get 1st American at the 1977 GP in Mid-Ohio, 3rd overall behind Rahier and Rond. The Norcal hometown boy!!! I set up shop in Minnesota and later Ohio and never really knew where he went from there.

You knew Magoo as well. One day he stopped by my cousin's house to check out his new RM125. He asked if he could take it for a spin; came back hours later pushing it in pieces. He was a character, and a real star. Greatly missed.

Thanks for your work with the promoting, you served many people well.
Tumblin
8/12/2012 8:27pm
OK. I remember Clear Lake, too. Garberville was smaller but known enough to have Dick Mann stop in, which is where I met him. I've ridden...
OK. I remember Clear Lake, too. Garberville was smaller but known enough to have Dick Mann stop in, which is where I met him.

I've ridden with Richter several times, I always considered him a hometome boy (though he was Fortuna and I was further north). I mentioned the Maurice Lets track in Humboldt. In those days Pat was a wildman teen. When he was upright he was very fast.

When he returned from the 1976 Trans-AMA he rode an exhibition at Redwood Acres, Eureka. I busted out my '74 125 Elsinore and holeshot. I have a picture of him way back there behind me. I also have a mental picture of his rear fender just seconds later. ;-)

I loved seeing him get 1st American at the 1977 GP in Mid-Ohio, 3rd overall behind Rahier and Rond. The Norcal hometown boy!!! I set up shop in Minnesota and later Ohio and never really knew where he went from there.

You knew Magoo as well. One day he stopped by my cousin's house to check out his new RM125. He asked if he could take it for a spin; came back hours later pushing it in pieces. He was a character, and a real star. Greatly missed.

One of my greatest moments was staying in front of my childhood idol and an aged Dick Mann, on that Man framed TT500 to win that Open Ex class at Garberville..., another hot summer race in 77. He was an honor to visit with after and he certainly was all about the fun while I was trying to be someone. The most fun I ever had on two wheels came years later when I discovered what The Mann had known back on that day.You gotta play to win.
8/12/2012 9:01pm
OK. I remember Clear Lake, too. Garberville was smaller but known enough to have Dick Mann stop in, which is where I met him. I've ridden...

Tumblin wrote:
One of my greatest moments was staying in front of my childhood idol and an aged Dick Mann, on that Man framed TT500 to win that...
One of my greatest moments was staying in front of my childhood idol and an aged Dick Mann, on that Man framed TT500 to win that Open Ex class at Garberville..., another hot summer race in 77. He was an honor to visit with after and he certainly was all about the fun while I was trying to be someone. The most fun I ever had on two wheels came years later when I discovered what The Mann had known back on that day.You gotta play to win.
Dick Mann was my good friend , and my memories of him are priceless, He used to line up beside all those fast kids on their state of the art bikes and smoke their shorts, mattered not where we were, at Argylle park, Plymouth, or Helvetia Park....He was the Mann,,,,,,,and they all knew it!
8/13/2012 4:20pm
Tumblin wrote:
One of my greatest moments was staying in front of my childhood idol and an aged Dick Mann, on that Man framed TT500 to win that...
I have several photos of that day, including some of Mann and his bike. I do remember Bugsy motivating that day, that thumper echoing.

Do you remember any of the riders names that day? I remember Lance Burgess on the 250 Ossa. I have pics of others but can't remember names.
8/13/2012 5:09pm
I have several photos of that day, including some of Mann and his bike. I do remember Bugsy motivating that day, that thumper echoing. Do you...
I have several photos of that day, including some of Mann and his bike. I do remember Bugsy motivating that day, that thumper echoing.

Do you remember any of the riders names that day? I remember Lance Burgess on the 250 Ossa. I have pics of others but can't remember names.
Privateer MX...If you're referring to the races at Oasis, I remember Burgess was there,, He was usually around when Richter and his guys were , also Magoo, Pat Yoho, The Sullivans , from Marin,Mark Hilton, ...It's been a long time...I remember Kenny Vogt being there because we had too much wine by the fire Sat nite...A lot of the Sacto riders came along to ride a new track....It snowed at one of the races. Gotta compliment your memory. I probably know you personally but don't know your name.
8/13/2012 5:55pm
Privateer MX...If you're referring to the races at Oasis, I remember Burgess was there,, He was usually around when Richter and his guys were , also...
Privateer MX...If you're referring to the races at Oasis, I remember Burgess was there,, He was usually around when Richter and his guys were , also Magoo, Pat Yoho, The Sullivans , from Marin,Mark Hilton, ...It's been a long time...I remember Kenny Vogt being there because we had too much wine by the fire Sat nite...A lot of the Sacto riders came along to ride a new track....It snowed at one of the races. Gotta compliment your memory. I probably know you personally but don't know your name.
I was thinking of Garberville in summer '77. But yes I remember we Humboldtians had to go your neck of the woods to find the competition as Humboldt is not very populated.

I ended up going east to ride the AMA nationals and never really rode California again. So most of the names from CA have escaped me now.

I think we may have briefly met but my CMC days were very short.
Tumblin
8/14/2012 10:39pm
Tumblin wrote:
I have several photos of that day, including some of Mann and his bike. I do remember Bugsy motivating that day, that thumper echoing. Do you...

I've got that Garberville hi point trophy from that year.
. It really chapped Lance's ass when I beat him in 77, but like Buggsy on his own framed TT, Lance (Popeye) rode some interesting bikes. SWM and also a TT500 later at Ruth Lake, where I struggled to keep him in sight. I ran CMC #5 In 78 and attempted a couple nationals. But Pat and Lance were the cream of Humboldt. Although the Villopoto family raised a speedy one.
John_Waller
12/5/2012 6:03pm
Tumblin wrote:

Tumblin wrote:
I've got that Garberville hi point trophy from that year. . It really chapped Lance's ass when I beat him in 77, but like Buggsy on...
. It really chapped Lance's ass when I beat him in 77, but like Buggsy on his own framed TT, Lance (Popeye) rode some interesting bikes. SWM and also a TT500 later at Ruth Lake, where I struggled to keep him in sight. I ran CMC #5 In 78 and attempted a couple nationals. But Pat and Lance were the cream of Humboldt. Although the Villopoto family raised a speedy one.
Oregon Boys Raced Garberville in 1973 or was it 74. Remember swiming in the river between moto's to stay cool. Pat Richter was insanely fast. The Nor Cal riders were a good group of guys always keeping us Oregonians in the back of the pack. LOL. Redwood Acres Motocross, Fair Grounds Crescent City. Medford Motocoss, China Creek Motocross, Brookings Or.
My favorite race trrack of all was Hangtown 1976,77,78 Plymouth Ca..
Tumbiln you were one of those Nor Cal good guys. Riding with Malcolm in April, Seven Days of Baja. Wish me safe return.
Still have not found a contact number on Pat Richter. John
John_Waller
12/5/2012 6:35pm Edited Date/Time 12/5/2012 6:42pm
Were the Boss and CMC ever at Redwood Acres, Garberville or Ruth Lake in the '70s? I left California in '72 with a return in '75-77...

Just remember, Nor Cal Riders, Lonnie Foster, Brian Lee, Little Ray Dugan, Skip Creech ( SP?) Richard and Elaine Miller, Lawerence Sorninson ( sp?) Tom Gerhart. I remember Brian Lee and Pat Richter at Redwood Acres Banging each other into the first corner, Pat went down hard, he did not get up for a while, Mr Lee's Macio won that one.
corsair
12/5/2012 8:44pm Edited Date/Time 12/5/2012 8:45pm
Well well, John Waller, I think I've flown with you before lol. Jaimee too. Fancy finding you here in the old school section. Rode at Speedworld today, I'm beat. Larry
12/6/2012 10:26am
Tumblin wrote:
I've got that Garberville hi point trophy from that year. . It really chapped Lance's ass when I beat him in 77, but like Buggsy on...
I really liked that Garberville track with the uphills and loop around the tree, etc. I was known for my downhill passes! -- I'm sure I was there when you beat Burgess, wonder if we met. -- The name Villopoto really rings a bell, I'm wondering if I knew them or raced with them. Were they out of O&E in Eureka?
12/6/2012 10:45am
Just remember, Nor Cal Riders, Lonnie Foster, Brian Lee, Little Ray Dugan, Skip Creech ( SP?) Richard and Elaine Miller, Lawerence Sorninson ( sp?) Tom Gerhart...
Just remember, Nor Cal Riders, Lonnie Foster, Brian Lee, Little Ray Dugan, Skip Creech ( SP?) Richard and Elaine Miller, Lawerence Sorninson ( sp?) Tom Gerhart. I remember Brian Lee and Pat Richter at Redwood Acres Banging each other into the first corner, Pat went down hard, he did not get up for a while, Mr Lee's Macio won that one.
I remember these names. I worked at Miller's. Here are pics from 1976/77 at Redwood Acres. I had not ridden since March '75. Broke out the '74 Elsinore to race Richter (he is 47 & I am 66). Then bought a new RM125 from O&E. Do you recognize any of these riders?

Tumblin
12/6/2012 9:38pm
Hey Privateer, great pics! I'm going to say #571 is Mel Sample Jr, #593 Matt Coleman, the Kawi rider in the bottom pics looks like Ray Olson style wise and I think he was riding one around then. I'll check. #41 in the top pic tucked behind you looks like Dana Bray but I don't think he ever rode 125's? That last photo has #76 floating over some "heavenly" Samoa Beach sand eh?
I'll bet I was there riding my last year on my 3rd CZ with Fred Villopoto's Eureka Cycles and Accessories.
Tumblin
12/6/2012 9:44pm
John, I sent you Pat's e-mail contact in your message box. Sorry, kind of skipped this place for a while.
Here's some Nor Cal CMC rankings with a bunch of us Humboldt Homies mixed in for you and Privateer to knock some dust off those memories.
Tumblin
12/7/2012 7:09pm
Tumblin wrote:
I really liked that Garberville track with the uphills and loop around the tree, etc. I was known for my downhill passes! -- I'm sure I...
I really liked that Garberville track with the uphills and loop around the tree, etc. I was known for my downhill passes! -- I'm sure I was there when you beat Burgess, wonder if we met. -- The name Villopoto really rings a bell, I'm wondering if I knew them or raced with them. Were they out of O&E in Eureka?
Fred Villopoto sponsored Pat (Eureka Cycles and Accessories) when he got off that Husky, Actually before he jumped on one of Fred's CZ's I believe he rode several races on a pair of new TM Zuks including the dreaded 400 for O&E at the one and only Motocross in Willow Creek. I was a member of the Trinity Trailsters that put on that race along with those bitchin Willow Creek night TT's on those epic summer nights. It still blows me away when I think of Pat throwing that 400 Husky so far sideways he would hop that front wheel into turn one - feet up - on a HUSKY!!...he needed to grind off those fork stops speedway style!
Fred took Pat on the road to his first Trans Amas and nationals on those CZs, prior to his KTM and than Fox Suzukis. Pat repaid Fred by marrying his daughter and eventually moving to Alaska, but it all worked out Fred got his daughter back and now he gets to hang with his Fastest Grandson on the Planet. Ha!
12/7/2012 11:48pm
Tumblin wrote:
Hey Privateer, great pics! I'm going to say #571 is Mel Sample Jr, #593 Matt Coleman, the Kawi rider in the bottom pics looks like Ray...
Hey Privateer, great pics! I'm going to say #571 is Mel Sample Jr, #593 Matt Coleman, the Kawi rider in the bottom pics looks like Ray Olson style wise and I think he was riding one around then. I'll check. #41 in the top pic tucked behind you looks like Dana Bray but I don't think he ever rode 125's? That last photo has #76 floating over some "heavenly" Samoa Beach sand eh?
I'll bet I was there riding my last year on my 3rd CZ with Fred Villopoto's Eureka Cycles and Accessories.
I also figured that was Olsen just by the style. Wow I remember those names, too. After 35 years! -- Now I remember that Villopoto shop! I worked at Miller's a short while. I bought my RM from O&E. I remember Honda of Arcata and seem to remember the Dugan name but can't remember the connection. And I remember a small moped shop open in Arcata (1976?), near the square I think. He had just returned from the Motorcycle Mechanics Institute school in Florida. -- That #76 is odd. The front tire is floating, the forks are about 1/2, and the rear tire doesn't look to have a roost. Levitating? That was Redwood Acres moto 2. If nothing else, at that time I was almost guaranteed to holeshot. And my grandmother always complained I was so hyper ...!!!
12/8/2012 12:04am Edited Date/Time 12/8/2012 12:08am
Tumblin wrote:
Fred Villopoto sponsored Pat (Eureka Cycles and Accessories) when he got off that Husky, Actually before he jumped on one of Fred's CZ's I believe he...
Fred Villopoto sponsored Pat (Eureka Cycles and Accessories) when he got off that Husky, Actually before he jumped on one of Fred's CZ's I believe he rode several races on a pair of new TM Zuks including the dreaded 400 for O&E at the one and only Motocross in Willow Creek. I was a member of the Trinity Trailsters that put on that race along with those bitchin Willow Creek night TT's on those epic summer nights. It still blows me away when I think of Pat throwing that 400 Husky so far sideways he would hop that front wheel into turn one - feet up - on a HUSKY!!...he needed to grind off those fork stops speedway style!
Fred took Pat on the road to his first Trans Amas and nationals on those CZs, prior to his KTM and than Fox Suzukis. Pat repaid Fred by marrying his daughter and eventually moving to Alaska, but it all worked out Fred got his daughter back and now he gets to hang with his Fastest Grandson on the Planet. Ha!
I remember the Willow Creek TTs. Great times. Seems like Honda of Arcata was real involved there. -- I joined the army in '72 so I missed so much Humboldt racing. I remember Richter, Moffatt and Frisbee as the speed. -- I had a full Maico (440) ride for the '75 CRAC season (Colorado) but then was injured and didn't ride again until Redwood Acres when Richter returned from the Trans-AMA (his 1976 KTM year as I recall). He rode exhibition and started backwards on the line (which is why he was back there in that first corner. I saw his rear fender exiting the second corner. ;-) -- Later that year I saw him get 1st American at the Mid-Ohio 125 GP. Rahier #1 and Rond #2. I was a real fanboy that day. "That's my homeboy!"

Post a reply to: Boss MX NorCal

The Latest