Old School Tracks (USA) - Some gone and forgotten

Bobbles
12/8/2009 10:03am
I was at Smith Road once in 1987. Raced OIR all the time as a kid. I'm from New Philadelphia and knew the Sellards and Maurers pretty well.

I remember that huge hill at Crash and Burn (later named Gran Prix I believe)... They also had harescrambles at the top of that giant hill.... I remember there was an old barn at the top... I'll have to look at the images of that place now that I know where its at (thanks)
7I3N
12/10/2009 8:21am Edited Date/Time 5/3/2018 6:46pm
Any So Cal guys remember this one? In the mid 70’s there used to be a track on the west end of the Santa Barbara airport run by the local MX club, the Santa Barbara Starters. It was a fun track. Some of the Dunes regulars would come up and race if there were no races down south. This picture is from there in early 1975. You can see how close the houses in the background were. No surprise it only lasted a few years.

Krit
5/5/2010 7:23pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 10:38pm
Kentucky tracks...

Lake Elmo, Brooks, Ky. This is the track that I started racing mx on. Nestled in a valley, it boasted a TT scrambles track as well as a mostly natural terrain mx track. There is a small lake (Elmo) that we used to ramp into on bicycles after the races just to cool off. The lake is there, track is history. Housing now...

Castle Point Motor Sport Park, New Castle, Ky. I actually raced this track for a couple of yrs. Saw the 1975 AMA Nationals there also. This was a bad-__s track. All natural terrain and tight with tons o'turns. Saw Smith, Mann, JW and many of the greats of that time there. I tried finding the track on Google Earth and it looks to be totally gone...farmland. It had that Ky red clay, that when it was wet, it was snot! Totaled my knee there in 1975 in a tri-state amateur series race. Sweet track!

I am now located in Utah and raced desert here for many yrs. Former Buzzard member.
5/7/2010 6:02am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 10:39pm
Patoka, IN - Had an AMA mini national flat-track back in '74 ( I think it was a 3/8 or closer to a 1/2 mile with a dog-leg on the back straight). First time I ever met Gene McKay and Harry Heinz (spelling?).

Springfield, MO - The famous "wood chip" track. Had the Clampett's "cement pond" down the hill. Arcade with nickle pinball.

Savannah, MO - In NW MO drew all the Iowa hot-shoes of the day (Randy Tysor, Rich Hardesty, Dave Weeks (sp?), Jay Connyers, Danny Hutchins). Fun track that got nasty when wet but was FAST when dry. Fun terrain.

Agency, MO - Great natural track that even had an AMA national back in the day. That was the first time I ever got hit by the rubber band on the start (a bit over eager on the start)!

Liberty, MO - The track kind of ran from a pasture to the woods. Not real exciting, but fun nonetheless.

Byron, IL - They overwatered the back of the track at the '76 NMA qualifier and they had to cut off the back section for the last several motos because the bikes couldn't get up and down the hills.

Nebraska City, NE- NMA qualifier in '76. Great fast track. First and only time I was there.

Price, UT - Had a big drop off off the top of a hill (on an 80 it was a mountain!). Fun track.

Green River, UT - Sand, sand sand.

HORNETDRIVER

The Shop

Original 44
5/7/2010 8:29pm
NW#599 wrote:
Forgotten Tracks by Vintagemx As a young kid out in Kansas, it seemed that Motocross tracks were all over the place. 30+ years later, most if...
Forgotten Tracks
by Vintagemx

As a young kid out in Kansas, it seemed that Motocross tracks were all over the place. 30+ years later, most if not all are now long gone, many returning to pasture land from whence they came.

However, some live on in our memories as we recall the glory days when we all were expert riders and could have taken DeCoster, Hannah, Smith, Lackey if they'd only come to our "home track".

This page is an attempt to document these tracks so they won't be entirely forgotten. If you know of an old track, long overgrown like the one on the right, send in the name, location, years it operated, photos and any story you might care to share to info@vintagemx.us.

CALIFORNIA

Ascot Park
I-110 @I-405 @ 91 Freeway
Gardena

The most famous and longest lasting of the night tracks. Built as a Flat track in the 1940's, Ascot hosted it's first night Motocross in 1968. Credited with starting the "stadium Motocross" concept years before the first "Super Bowl of Motocross" in 1972 Ascot was the starting point for the riders that would go on to race the early Supercrosses Note: this was actually the third location for Ascot Park. Two previous locations in the 1930's were closer to down town LA. Ascot hosted it's last Night Motocross on Nov 2, 1990 and closed for good several weeks later. Development of the property has been delayed by discovery of toxic chemicals in the soil, and the economic downturn of the area. Today, the dirt mound the bleachers were built on is all that remains of the original race track.
Ascot Park, Gardena, California, was a famous dirt racetrack located near Los Angeles, California. The track was built on the site of a former city dump. Before it was closed in 1990, it hosted the United States Auto Club championship series, and was used in movies like the original Gone in 60 Seconds A Very Brady Christmas and CHiPs.
With seating for only 7,500, Ascot Park was smaller than the other famous tracks of the era, such as Riverside International Raceway (closed 1989) and Ontario Motor Speedway (closed 1981). Yet, the park was equally well-known, because its location was surrounded by freeways, its regularly scheduled races, and its heavy radio advertising. The half-mile course featured tight semi-banked turns, long straight-ways, and a tacky surface that was conductive to dramatic sprint car racing.

It remained unused after a failed development project occupied the former site for a number of years. The park was later replaced by commercial buildings and paved over for parking. (Info Courtesy of Wikipedia)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Baymare
Bixby Rd and Balcom Canyon Rd.,
Moorepark, CA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bloomfield
No Information Available

Butterfields
Orange County

Bob Bailey's Cycle Park.
182nd Street @ Normande Ave., Gardena Here is an unusual one. 1960's MX legend Gary Baily's brother, Bob bought an entire operating golf course with the intention to have a riding park and Moto Cross track. The course was laid out, races were scheduled, but at the last minute the city refused to issue operation permit. The ad's that ran in Cycle News asked "have you ever dreamed of riding on a golf course". The faculty never opened for business. To this day this remains the only example of land use in this fashion. Bob Bailey was forced to sell the property. The area is now houses. Note: While no one ever raced at the track, some locals were rumored to have broken into the faculty and practiced on the newly constructed track at night.

Banzai Cycle Park
Located next to Anaheim Stadium

For one glorious summer in 1972 (I think) there was an MX Park NEXT to Anaheim Stadium. One of my first rides ever was there - and they even held races. I remember it being on the South side, maybe off of Chapman. My first fall, my leg got caught under my down pipe and burned a scar I still have on my leg.
(Info Courtesy of Mike Domanchich)
Paved over and now underneath a Fire Station.

Big Rock Dam MX Track
Located outside Palmdale, CA MX racing for about one year around 1970. Disposition Unknown

Carlsbad Raceway
Palomar Airport Road off the I-5, Carlsbad.

The only other track from this era that still operates today. The drag strip was built in the 1950's. Moto Cross was started in 1966 by CMC. This track is as famous as the Saddleback track, gaining international fame in the early 1970's when a round of the 500 World Championship GP's was held there and televised on Wide World Of Sports. The track is still in operation today, although a shadow of it's former self. The property has been sold several times (owners included the owners of the Wimpys hamburger chain). The topography of the site makes development difficult. While once in a rural area, the track is completely surrounded by industrial and high dollar residential development that is right to the fence surrounding the track. As the entrance to the property is being leveled for slabs, the end is rumored to be near.

Castiac
I-5 at Hwy 126 Junction Not the track located at Castiac Lake today. Original track was laid out by CMC president Stu Peters and original partner Calvin Franks using a rented farmers field. In 1968 this track hosted an Inter-Am which was won by Joel Robert. Exact location of track not clear. Believed to be in between the north and south portions of I-5. No evidence of original track remains.
Castaic an MX track first place i saw the Euros, this was when Bud Ekins brought them over, little racing from 67-69. The famous picture of Preston Petty flying in the air on his twinport Suzuki was taken there. (Info Courtesy of David Rendon)

Corona Raceway
Buchanan and 91 Fwy in Corona.

History: Famous for the Corona Gran Prix using a seven mile track. The night races used a bowel originally designed for flat track and TT Races. The night races were notorious for poor lighting. Spectators turned their car lights on the track to help racers see. This track was enormously popular with the Orange County, and Riverside area locals.
Disposition: This faculty lasted until the mid 1980's. When Saddleback closed in 1984, the operators of the popular "Saturday Saddleback" races moved these events to Corona for a short while until this faculty also closed, a victim of increasing land values and worries over liabilities. The land is now a large housing and light industrial complex. No evidence of the original track is left although the locals swear they can point out certain sections of the track.
Directions: Take the Riverside Freeway (91) to Pierce, turn right to Magnolia, right again to Buchanan and on to the track.
Info: Gates open a 5:30pm, practice 6:30, race 7:30. $5.00 entry for MX, $2.50 to watch.

.I used to race the dreaded dark night races here on my 250 OSSA Stiletto. The X shown is the center of the TT track where you banzaied down the hill on the left to the finish line jump on the TT flat track. The back side of that mountain was treacherous and i often found myself flying over bikes that were laid out due to the darkness back there. Rex Staten used to be so far ahead he would stop in the middle of the TT track, have a drink, kiss his girlfriend and take off with still a half lap lead! I never did well here. Down the 91 freeway to Saddleback was my place on a 1970 100 Sherpa Bul where i cleaned up in the junior class at age 15. (Info Courtesy of Eric Johnson)
Corona Advertisement

I used to work at Corona Raceway in high school. Racing for free was one of the perks! Good times back then. (Info Courtesy of Roger Kokos)

Cycle Haven
Terminal Island at the base of the Vincent St Thomas Bridge
Los Angeles Harbor. One of the local "Urban Tracks". Races were run by a local club. While the track was popular with the locals, the owners realized they could make much more money by rent the land to store shipping containers. The track and surrounding areas were paved over to make room for containers at the end of the 1970's.

Cycle Hill
Highland Park, CA Unsantioned racing during the 40`s 50`s and early 60`s mostly between the Checkers and 20 Night Owls motorcycle clubs. Scrambles track reminded me of Catalina. Disposition Unknown

Deadmans Point
Junction of Hwys 18
247 Lucerne Valley

Local races. Some AMA district 37 MX's Land is still intact. Track is rumored to still be there. Also rumored to be used a practice track by Rex Staten

De Anza Cycle Park
I-60 east of Marino Valley Near Banning Pass History: This park also featured open riding. Laid out in several steep valleys. The track was on the side of a hill and not very accessible to spectators, nor were the pits easy to get to.
Disposition: The faculty opened and closed numerous times through out the 70's and 80's. Recently operators attempted to get state funding to improve the faculty and operate as a "Green Sticker" park. Their efforts were mired down by local and regional politics. Amid scandals and charges of bribery, the park closed for good, some of the acreage being taken for an ever expanding land fill.
Racing: Every Saturday
Directions: 3 miles past Sunnymead on US 60. Take Theodore off ramp to Ironwood and follow the signs.

Gate: Gate $2.00, entry $4.00. Sign in at 7:30 a.m. Race 9:30 a.m. 33% brass

Del Amo
Cerritos, CA Del Amo & Bloomfield - circa 1971 - 72 it was where the large City Park in Cerritos is now, and as I remember occupied about half the acreage the park does now. The time or two I went was to ride, and I remember it was pretty wild - all bikes up to 125cc where allowed, and there was not any FORMAL track, just make up your own. I don`t remember anyone getting badly hurt - but thinking back, it was a wonder no-one did...
Now a city park

DeLevega Park
Santa Cruz, CA Site of the first annual Inter-Am Race in 1968, put on by Edison Dye Disposition Unknown.

Dos Rios
Arvin, CA There was an awesome MX track named Dos Rios that was located just a few miles south of Arvin, California. The track was owned and operated by a gentleman named Tom Woodruff. The track was located on Rancho Rd. One of my fondest memories was of Curtis Sparks showing up on a early 70's Honda 90 three wheeler. All our racing buddies would laugh at him for bringing that three wheeler to the track. At that time no one rode three wheelers. Curtis was good about not letting the guys get to him. I can still remember him saying. "That's alright go ahead and laugh, these three wheelers will make me famous some day". Curtis went on to race three wheelers for American Honda, Worked with Honda's R&D team and now is the owner of Curtis Sparks Racing. The track was in operation from the mid 70's to the mid 80's. Thanks Terry Disposition Unknown.

Edwards Air Force Base

El Toro Speedway
Junction of I-5 and I-405 Freeways Located across the freeway from OCIR this small 1/8th mile short track also hosted Sunday Motocross. The track took advantage of the natural bowl the oval track was in to feature some sizable hills. The area is now a retail center. The track was torn down in the early 1970's, a victim of the urban sprawl that is rapidly consuming much of Orange County.

Elsinore Raceway
I-15 @ Railroad Canyon Road in Elsinore A TT Scrambles track for many years, in the late 1960's an occasional Motocross was run. The faculty was closed in the late 1970's for racing. The TT track is still there in good condition. The track is used as an access road for a shooting range for the gun club that now owns the land.

Escape Country
Trabuco Canyon, California Operated mostly in the 1970s. Well maintained track that at times hosted the likes of Jeff Ward, Gary Ogden, Mike Tripes and others. Was known for having a separate class for those who were participating in their first race. Prior to the Beginner class you could enter the "First Day" class until you hit the top three. Then it was a forced transfer to the Beginner class.
(Info Courtesy of the Stedman Family)
Escape County fell victim to huge population growth in South OC and is now housing tracts.

Fontana Drag Strip
North of I-10 Frwy Near the old Fontana Steel Plant Yet another of the drag strip motocross tracks. While never having night MX races, CMC ran some early Golden State Races there. 68-69 Destroyed to make housing developments.

Four Corners
East of Barona Indian Reservation
San Diego County, CA there was a track in east San Diego county called four corners back in the 70s. It was just a little east of barona. my brother raced his 72 yellow tanker out there, we were there every sunday. I was 8 years younger and used to just ride around the hills
(Info Courtesy of Mark Terhaar)
Disposition Unknown

Holiday Hills
No Information Available

Hopetown
Santa Susana Pass Road at the east entrance to Simi Valley. Also known as Correginville

History: An old western movie set. This land was owned by legendary comedian Bob Hope (as was a big portion of Simi Valley and Malibu area in those days) Home of the Hopetown Gran Prix featuring the famous Hopetown mud hole. This event was one of the first U.S. appearances of Torsten Hallman, Joel Robert, and Roger Decoster
Disposition: Hopetown course is gone. The movie set lapsed into disrepair. Recently new owners are attempting to make a comeback as a movie set with the rise in popularity of period movies (i.e. westerns)
Directions: Hopetown/Corriganville Park is at the east end of the city of Simi Valley in Ventura county, CA. At the intersection of Kuehner dr. and Santa Susana Pass rd. Easy access from the 118, get off at Kuehner and go south about 2 miles.
Info: The track is still intact. The start was near the large clump of trees (Robin Hood forest) in the upper right of pic. Track went north and east into the foothills behind the rocks and up toward what is now the 118 freeway turned south passing near what is now a housing tract on the left side of pic then back toward the trees past the old movie set, the foundations are still visible before the track goes into the trees (the buildings burnt down in a fire in 1979), track followed the trees along the creek back to the start. 250 acres are now Corriganville park, belongs to the Simi Valley Rec. and Parks District. Racing here actually started in the early 1960s when "Crash" Corrigan owned the property (hence the park's name). website http://faculty.oxy.edu/...orrigan/corrigan.htm (Info Courtesy of Ian Dennely )
Track Layout

Huntington Beach Cycle Park
One block north of beach Blvd at Gothard in Huntington Beach

Originally a TT track, one Sunday a month was a Motocross using a long, but flat track. Mostly a local track, the regulars were hard to beat there. Closed in 1973, the site is now a trailer park

Huron Cycle Park
Huron, CA How about Huron Cycle Park in Huron, CA? A lot of guys should have heard of it. It came about, I believe in the late 70's or early 80's. Hosted a few big-name events, even. I was out of MX at that time (college days) but I did actually ride on what was left of the track in about '90 or '91, just playriding on my RM400 that was very wrong for the track. It was run by the city, I believe, then they let some private guys come in late in it's life. Tried to make a few comebacks, but too much opposition and/or poor business decisions. Was basically one of the early outdoor supercross-type tracks with tabletops, huge spiked whoops, etc.
(Info Courtesy of Doug Childress, Caruthers CA)
The ground is now either vacant or has been turned to ag use.

Indian Dunes
I-5 @ Hwy 126
2 miles from Magic Mountain

One of the original "cycle parks" which allowed open riding. This park featured two main tracks International, and Shadow Glen as well as speedway, TT, and a separate mini bike track. The park was also used to film action movies. Multiple races each week as well as a Gran Prix with a river crossing jump as part of the track Stopped operating as a cycle park in Feb 1985. Many local riders and parents launched petition drives to have it reopened to no avail. Continued to operate as a movie set until recently. Once a wooded area next to a river, all evidence of the original park has been removed including the trees. Now nothing more than a field of lettuce plants. Unless you raced there you would never know it was ever there.
RICK "SUPER HUNKY" SIEMAN'S WRITES.....Indian Dunes was closed down after a rash of lawsuits when they turned the tracks into supercross-styled course loaded with double and triple jumps. I can recall racing at the Shadow Glen course one Saturday and the ambulance hauled about 20 people to the hospital, many with horrible injuries.
It's still used by the studios (and still owned by Newhall Land and Farming Company), but there is no trail riding or racing allowed at the facility.

In my less than humble opinion, the trend toward supercross-styled outdoor tracks is one of the biggest reasons for the decline of the sport. In this age of rampant litigation, tracks get closed down, rather than have the landowners face huge legal fees.

HE ALSO WRITES...Indian Dunes is still there, but not open to the general public. Now, the movie and TV people use it for location shooting. To get to the Dunes, go north of LA on Highway 5, turn left on 126 and it's on the left side a few miles down the road.

Irvine
91 Frwy @ Green River Anaheim Hills Thought to be one of the first "Moto Cross" tracks in the country. Although called "Irvine" location was what is now Anaheim Hills. Races were run by ACA. Track consisted of river bottom sand. Poster advertising 1966 races recently surfaced, map to location used only roads and "expressways" as this was before the interstate system carved up southern California. Area has been so completely developed, no traces remain of original track or surrounding area.

Irwindale Drags
I-210 @ I-605 Irwindale Part of the famous night MX scene of the late 60's early 70's. In those days is was possible to race from Tuesday night through Friday nights every week. In 1976 the city of Irwindale leased the property to Miller Brewing Company for one dollar a year to build a brewery. The main buildings sit on the exact spot the MX track was located. No evidence remains of the track or the drag strip.

Lemoore Naval Air Base
Lemoore, CA There was a track on the grounds of Lemoore Naval Air Base near Lemoore, CA back in 70's. I think is was situated on part of the land the Navy leased out to farming operations. I raced on it a few times in '77. Pretty sure there is no trace of it now...all leased out to farming now, or covered up by expansion of the base.
Pretty sure there is no trace of it now...all leased out to farming now, or covered up by expansion of the base.

Little Okie
Chowchilla, CA There was one called "Little Okie" that was in or near, I believe, Chowchilla, CA. Had a big reputation in the mid/late 70's, as I recall. I never went up and rode it, but some of my buddies did. Probably no trace of it now.
Disposition Unknown

Lyons Drag Strip
I-405 @ Wilmington Ave
Long Beach One of the many drag strips in southern California at the time, Lyons hosted weekly night MX. Lyons closed in the late 1970's to become a storage lot for ocean going shipping containers. Small evidence of the original drag strip is visible but no indication of the MX track.

Muntz Cycle Park
23 Frwy @ Tierra Rejada Rd.
Thousand Oaks, CA

Built on a parcel of land owned by housing developer "Mad Man Muntz" (who also owned a chain of stereo stores in the 70's this track was a favorite of the San Fernando Valley locals such as Tom Rap, and Eddie Cole. As of 1997, land was still there being used to graze cattle. It is however surrounded by urban sprawl
Originally owned and operated by "Mad Man" Muntz an electronics (early car audio and big screen tvs) dealer in the San Fernando Valley (I bought my 1st 8 track tape player from him!) Muntz Cycle Park, Later known as Valley Cycle Park is at the intersection of what is now the 23 freeway and Tierra Rejada Rd. in Moorpark, CA. The main track is now covered by a golf course, but a hill climb and some of the riding trails can still be seen just north and uphill from the clubhouse.
A little side note to the Muntz story. The property was originally owned by the family that owned Seabiscuit (the famous race horse in the 1930s). I used to go roller skating as a kid with the grandaughter of Seabiscuit's owner Charles Howard, Missy Howard, who lived on a ranch across the street from what became the cycle park. The ranch house is still there but the ranch itself has been subdivided into large horse properties.(Info Courtesy of Ian Denelly)

Ontario Motor Speedway
Junction of I-15 and I-10 freeways in Ontario This all new racing faculty was built as a work of art in the late 1960's. It featured an oval track, road course, drag strip, and Moto cross track. With 80,000 seats the track hosted Indy cars and a Varity of events including Sunday Moto Crosses about once a month. A victim of the economic down turn in the 70's this faculty closed after only a few years of operation. It was eventually torn down. Until recently the giant dirt mound that held the seats remained as evidence of the track. This is now also gone. On the site is an industrial complex and the new Ontario Mills Super Mall

Orange County International Raceway (OCIR)
Junction of I-405, I-5 in Irvine Located at the end of the runway at El Toro Marine Base, OCIR was the newest of the southern California drag strips. Thursday night MX races were very popular with Orange County locals. This track lasted until the early 80's. It has since been bulldozed to make a high tech business park and interchange for a new freeway that also ran through what was once Saddleback

Osteens Cycle Park
Near junction of I-57, I-10 and 71 freeways in Pomona Owned by professional baseball legend Claude Osteen, this track featured a natural terrain out door track including a long off camber section laid out in a bowl shaped valley. The park closed after only a few years of operation. It is now a housing tract. The land was so altered to make houses, the untrained eye could find no evidence of the track ever being there.

Perris Raceway
Hwy 74 in the town of Perris

Click to Enlarge Started life in the 1950's as a half mile and TT tracks. CMC started racing Moto Cross there in the late 1960's. Featured in the original "On Any Sunday" movie, the scene where the racer on the Sachs throws away his $30.00 prescription glasses. Legend has it that racer in the movie is Honda's Eric Crippa One of only two tracks that remain today from the original tracks of the 60's and 70's, this faculty holds weekly events. Rumors of the track closing for good come and go. Although the track is just yards from houses, operations continue.

Ponderosa Ranch
Ave. J, Lancaster, CA No Info Available

Rawhide Cycle Park
Hwy 74 aprox 2 miles from I-15 near Elsinore On the same road that leads to Perris, this challenging track featured several water crossings, many hills and big rocks. Several CMC races ran there in the early 70's the faculty closed after being in operation for only a short time. While the track itself is gone, the land it was on is still undeveloped. The locals still ride there.

Rialto Cycle Park
(AKA Arroyo now Glen Helen)
Junction of I-15 and I-215 Freeways in Devore In the same basic location as the modern day Glen Helen, this early, much smaller version featured a well laid out track kept moist with water from a natural springs on the property Located near a medium security prison, the park was closed for a number of years. Legend has it that the prison complained about the noise

Riverside Raceway
I-60 @ I-215, Riverside While not a motocross track, this area was famous for the Riverside Gran Prix. Today the Property is a shopping mall. The sign for the shopping mall IS the original raceway sign, but altered slightly. The mound seen near it was also part of the raceway grandstands. Nothing remains of the car track or off road course.

Rusty Nails
Acton, CA Scrambles and TT Track in the 40s, 50s and 60s Disposition Unknown

Saddleback Park
Santiago Canyon Road Irvine. The prototype for open riding parks across the country, Saddleback is possibly the most famous and photographed track in the sport. Often called the "mecca" of Moto Cross, more national stars emerged from Saddleback than any other track in the country. One little known story is that the original MX track was far from the location of the track that most people knew. The first track was laid out in 1967 by Joel Robert. The location was further down the hill near the city of Irvine. Those that rode the first track state it was far superior to the more famous track. Noise complaints from the town forced park operator (Joe Parkhurst) to move the track to it's more commonly known location. Saddleback Park closed in July 1984. There are many legends and stories as to why the park stopped operations. Disputes between the leaseholder and the property owner, the giant Irvine Company initially closed the park. Over the years there have been many efforts to reopen the track both from within the MX industry, and by private individuals. The Irvine Company was, at one time, supposed to have had over 300 million in unsettled liability lawsuits pending, making a reopening very unlikely. Today, a new freeway has removed most of what was once the pit area. Most of the track is still desirable to any one who has ever ridden there.

Salinas Sand Pits
Crazy Horse Canyon Road and Highway 101 Prunedale, CA

Click to Enlarge Sand, and lots of it. Most of the track was in a flat area but the first corner and the first quarter of the track were built on a hillside. The track shutdown due to development. You can still see some trails in the current satelite photo of the area
I learned to ride in the river bed of the Carmel River and the Dunes of Fort Ord (Sand, sand, sand). The Salinas Sand Pits was a true Sand Track. When prepped before a race it was as smooth and as flat as a freeway but by the end of the day the whoops seemed gigantic. I raced the 125 class which made sand starts much more interesting. The best part of this track was the big sandy berms. You could slam into them while your handlebars hovered just above the sand. (Info Courtesy of Brad Jones (Carmel Racing Team))
Sand Pits

Santa Cruz County Fairgrounds
2601 E Lake Ave, Watsonville, CA

Click to Enlarge The track was built on hillside beyond the fairgrounds extended parking lot overlooking agricultural fields (Artichokes and Lettuce). The starting gate was at the top of a hill that went through a ravine and then back up to a 180 degree right hand turn. After the second turn (left) you ramped up to the track's one true jump and then came the "drop-off", feared by Novices and loved by Magoo. The track had several off-camber turns and nothing about this track was flat but then again nothing was too steep (with the exception of the big drop-off). The dirt was mixed but mostly the California hard stuff. There are auto races held at the fairgrounds but the permit is limited to that use only. You can see from the satelite photo that there are building near the old track site so that plays heavily into the equation. Bottom line.....no more MX.
The Santa Cruz Ridgerunners ran AMA District 36 races here in the 70's and 80's and I believe that Billy and Bob Grossi's Dad was one of the original Ridgerunners. That being said, this was the home track for many NorCal Pro's including the Grossi's, Jeff Watts, Charles Halcomb, Mike "Neezer" Marquez and many more. It was always foggy in Watsonville and I remember that at times the fog was so thick you could not see the track during practice. It was here that I first saw Danny Magoo Chandler "perform" his no hands no feet tricks off the jump and the dreaded drop off. It was also here that I entered my first MX race, got my first holeshot and won my first moto. I'll always have fond memories of the track we called "Watsonville". (Info Courtesy of Brad Jones, Carmel Racing Team)
Track Backwards Brad Jones Charles Halcomb Danny Chandler

Santee Sand Pits
Santee, CA

Click to Enlarge Located in the riverbed right in the middle of Santee Still there.
I practiclly lived at the sand pits on my bikes, I lived right across the street. If you know where the Walmart is in Santee just behind it was the main area of the sand pits. The San Diego river runs through there ( and still does ) . They even had a race out there once, I dont remember who put it on but Marty Tripes was like the Grand Marshall. Even my mom used to ride out there, she had a yam. dt 250. (Info Courtesy of Mark Terhune, Santee, CA)

Sea Breeze Park
I-5 near the junction of the Pacific Coast Highway in San Clemente This natural terrain Moto Cross track was laid out on a rolling hill side over looking the Pacific Ocean. Several CMC races ran there in the early 70's. Riders liked the fact that the ocean breezes kept the temperatures down in the summer (unlike Carlsbad) and that they could be at the beach five minutes after their last moto. Noise complaints from a church some distance away spelled the beginning of the end for Sea Breeze. The rapid and prolific development of south Orange County in the mid 1970's sealed the fate. Today in the area there are thousands of tract houses and no evidence that Sea Breeze was ever there.

Spartans
Adjacent to Seaside High School football and baseball fields next to Hwy.1 in Seaside, CA

Click to Enlarge A very basic TT track with one jump and few turns. Just across Hwy.1 from the Pacific Ocean and the sand dunes of Monterey. Understandably very sandy and a blast to ride. As you can see from the satelite photo today it looks like someone has been riding here.
There weren't many races here if my memory serves me (probably due to it being adjacent to a high school). I raced a TT here once in 1975 against Jeff Haney and won (he was very young at the time). At the time I didn't know who he was. The photos below are of the day I beat Jeff Haney. That's me with the front end in the air off the start and Haney on a '75 CR125 just to the right (with the TT bars). (Info Courtesy of Brad Jones (Carmel Racing Team))
Spartans Start - 1975 Spartans First Turn - 1975

Speedway 117
(AKA Southbay Speedway)
Chula Vista, CA Next to the mexican border off what is now the 905. Last raced in in 1982-3. Pretty much a oval with supercross track in the middle. Had night races. Rising land values plus the liability stuff that was running rampant in Ca killed it. Interesting note. When Marty Smith started his schools, he taught them at 117.
(Info Courtesy of Michael Fry)
Disposition Unknown
Regarding Speedway 117, I raced there quite a bit in 1981-1983. They finished the 83 season and stopped. They ran May through Sep or Oct. It was Wednesday nights on what I remember as a track with big jumps to hard landings. Rick Johnson raced there and I remember him winning all three pro classes at age 15. He rode a YZ125 and 250 as well as that famous Protech Yamaha four stroke. Before he had a drivers license, he was saving up for a van to go to distant races. One time they had a jumping distance contest on a crappy jump at the finish line. Johnson won a home stereo system with his longest jump. I used to battle with Frank Thomson, who has been running REM races for many years at Carlsbad and now Glen Helen.
(Info Courtesy of Ed Stovin)

Spillway Park
Santa Maria, CA

Sprocketts
Bakersfield, CA

Click to Enlarge
I raced Sprockets Park in Bakersfield Ca. a few times back in the 70's and 80's. Here is the location of the defunked park. In the 70's it was a great TT track with a good sized jump in the middle. I remember it being hard pack and very slick. I blew up my first motor (100 Kawasaki G5) while practicing there.I was 13 at the time and remember feeling like I had just killed my best friend.Later on in the early 80's they plowed it up and built a Moto Cross track.I had a 1983 480 Honda and cleared my first set of doubles there. It's funny cause they were only about 15 foot apart but they really psyched me out.I don't know the politics of the park or why it's not there any more, but my guess would be money for the land. In it's place is a steam generation plant for the local oil fields.I remember talk at the time about using the green sticker money to build us another place to ride, but of course that never happened. (Info Courtesy of Jim McWhorter)

Sunrise Cycle Park. (AKA 395, or Adelanto Cycle Park.
Hwy 395 in Adelanto. Opened in the early 1960's, the original track had short track and TT's. Moto Cross Was started in the late 60's. Over the years, the faculty has been operated by a number of different lease holders. The land and the track are there today, but at the current time, the faculty is closed.

Terminal Island
near the Vincent Thomas Bridge I never rode or went there, but it was there - just east and north of the east end of the Vincent Thomas Bridge - again I think it was restricted to 125`s and below as there just wasn`t a whole lot of acreage. This Park was there in the late 70`s - maybe 1979. Again, it was short lived, but memorable, across Ocean Blvd. from where the Spruce Goose was kept before IT moved to the Dome next to the Queen Mary.

Trojan Speedway
I-710 @ Florence Ave Built in the heart of East Los Angeles industrial area in the 50' and 60', this was a short track that had some night MX. While never as famous as Ascot and others it was part of the weekly So-Cal night race circuit Land was sold in the mid 1970's. Track closed property is now a self-storage business. No evidence of the original track

Westlake
Westlake GP track site is at the northwest corner of Kanan Rd and Lindero Canyon Rd. in the Westlake/North Ranch area of Thousand Oaks CA just north of the L.A./Ventura county border. About 4 miles north of the 101 freeway, exit Lindero Canyon in Agoura Hills. Look for St. Maximillian Kolbe church on the left and the Starbucks on the right.

Click to Enlarge Used for Viewfinders Gran Prix the track Featured a western movie set where the weekly western Gun Smoke was filmed. This track hosted a Inter-Am in 1969 the track ran through the barn, and down the main street of the western town. Western movie set was still intact until 1995 when it was finally destroyed for a housing development.
The movie set that hosted the Westlake GP for a couple of years was only about 2 miles from my boyhood home. While we lived there during the Westlake GP years, I never saw the race, only heard about it later as I hadn't yet found motorcycles. My friends and I during the late 1960s used that same movie set as a playground and later actually recreated the track (the barn door was always locked, so instead of going through the barn we had go around it) on our CT 70s and 90s and eventually on our Sachs and Yamaha 125s. The movie set and surrounding terrain was host to hundreds of films from the early years of film through the 1970s. The outside scenes in Gunsmoke, some of the scenes from Bonanza and countless movies were filmed there. I watched the grips paint the grass green under a large oak tree with a spray can for the picnic scene in Bonnie and Clyde and the filming of the opening scene of The Great Northfield Minnesota Raid there. Many great memories. Today all remnants of the track and movie set are gone. A large Catholic church and multi million dollar homes cover the area. The creek the the track crossed before going through the barn is visible in the pic as the trees between the houses in the rectangle. (Info Courtesy of Ian Dennelly)

CONNECTICUT

Central Village Disposition Unknown

GEORGIA

Atlanta International Raceway
Atlanta Held a national here in 1979.As I recall next to a paved racetrack. Interesting thing about this track was they mixed the cotton fluff (or residue) from the local cotton mills into the soil to keep it loamy, so not only was it super loamy but technicolor too. You'd go into a corner and literally sink into the berms. It was very flat and ran in and out of the woods.
Disposition Unknown

Holiday Downs
Atlanta We used to race in the late 60's and early 70's at Holiday Downs in Atlanta, GA, and at Whitesburg MX in Douglas County, GA. The fast bikes were the LT2 MX, the AT1 MX, CR125, Wombat 125, DKW 125, Rickmans, Sachs in various forms, LOL. Disposition Unknown

Whitesburg MX
Douglas County See Above Disposition Unknown

INDIANA

Terre Haute Competition Riders
North of Terre Haute, IN east off of Highway 63 (south of Clinton, IN) I believe the land was leased from Gibson Company, current use of the land is unknown. AMA sanctioned amateur MX races were held there circa 1973-1983. The "Bomber" Mark Barnett raced CR-125 Elsinores at this track occasionally during 1974-1975, winning the Indiana 125 cc A state championship in 1974.
(Info Courtesy of Carl Richey)
Disposition Unknown

Washington
Washington, IN Another great track was the one in Washington, Indiana. They held Trans AMA races and Nationals there during the same time period. One of my prized possessions is a Pennzoil banner that a fried stole from the fence right after the races. Does anyone remember these tracks? Disposition Unknown

KANSAS

Packer's Camp
Williston Point Rd, Fort Riley

Click to Enlarge This track was located on the military reservation Fort Riley, Kansas. For a couple of years it hosted races for military personnel. Of all the tracks I've seen, this track had it all, including water crossings. The land the track was on is still there and if you look close, much of the track can still be seen. Motorcycle riding is now strictly forbidden.

Manhattan Raceway Park
Manhattan, KS

Click to Enlarge This track was located just off Highway 18 between Ogden and Manhattan, next to a drag strip. The track was completely flat but offered one of the first tabletops in the state. It also featured a unique first turn after the start that was carved into the ground. Manhattan also offered night racing. There are no indications that the track ever existed now, although the drag strip is still there.

"The Race Place"
East 1st St, Enterprise, KS

Click to Enlarge This was the only track I ever saw that was located on a 40 acre golf course. Track was long and offered gentle terrain changes. The back straightaway was located on the 6th fairway and provided the ability for riders to click into 6th gear...if they had one. The track received many complaints from local residents due to noise and dust and eventually ceased operation.

"The Race Place II"
East of Junction City, KS

Click to Enlarge This track was a joint venture between Frank Royce and Hank Spaulding. Operated for a short time in the 1977-1978 time frame. Had a covered starting area and a wild whoop section. Disposition unknown.

Clay Center
Clay Center, KS Track located northwest of Clay Center in a gully in the middle of a cow pasture. Track was short, but provided a great view for spectators. Not sure what happened to this track, probably returned to the cows.

Florence Grand Prix
Florence, KS This might be the wrong kind of racing but I ran a race called the ``Florence Gran-Prix`` in 1972 when a very small Northeast Kansas town called Florence had their 100 year celebration. It was all MX bikes, 4 classes, 125,200,250, and open, and it ran out though the country and back in town on the brick streets. The small town didn`t own a street-sweeper. I ran it in 1973 also. Town still exists.

Freddy Van's
Pittsburg, KS Pittsburg Ks. had a great track called ``Freddy Van`s``.
(Info Courtesy of John Bezinque, Derby KS)
Disposition Unknown

Garden City, KS Sandy Track

Luray
Luray, KS This track was located near Luray, Kansas and was run by Bob Rose. The pits were located on a hill overlooking the track and was a great spectators track Disposition unknown

Cycle Acres
Centennial Rd & East Cloud
Salina, KS Track located near the Cessna plant
There was an active track in Salina, and we were so gung-ho in those days that we rode year-around. I remember riding in the snow in Salina and in Dodge. Garden City was a neat track that pretty much finished me - a high-speed straight into a sand pit that caused a monster endo. Saw my first 501 Maico there, courtesy of the LeValley brothers.

(Info Courtesy of Robert Adams)
Ground vacant.

Phillipsburg
Phillipsburg, KS Not Available Disposition Unknown

Oldsburg
Oldsburg, KS
Not Available Disposition Unknown

Neosho Rapids
Neosho Rapids, KS Not Available Disposition Unknown

Hutchinson
Hutchinson, KS This track was located in Gormalies Grove near Hutchinson, KS and run by the Prarie Pups Motorcycle Club. It is reported that the track is no longer there.

Jeeps
Wichita, KS

Click to Enlarge Not Available Disposition Unknown

Sprockets
Wichita, KS Sprockets was located East of Rock Road and South of 63rd St. by Cook Airfield.
I ``believe`` housing builders took it over. It was moved to Rose Hill KS

International Raceway
Maize, KS

International Raceway was a sandy track and I think we ran there on Sundays. It has reopened and now is called ``Bar 2 Bar``.
Disposition Unknown

81 Speedway
Wichita, KS We ran MX at 81 Speedway, a stock car circle track, but we raced on the very East side, not any on the track.
Disposition Unknown

Dodge City
Dodge City, KS Not Available Disposition Unknown

Atwood, KS There was some real energy in Atwood where Benny Jumper caught MX fever and, if memory serves, had Edison Dye put on a race that featured one of the factory Husky riders. This was in '69 or '70 (before I traded my Norton dirt tracker for a CZ). MX was so unknown in those days that anyone who really wanted to could draw top competitors. (Benny Jumper was behind the Atwood efforts, but came to a sad end as a result of a fluke hang glider accident.) - Info courtesy of Robert Adams Disposition Unknown

Rockledge
Hays, KS A track south of Hays, Rockledge, was a hot spot - a bowl on a farm that made a good track, and a site for rock concerts. We brought some Colorado riders to give a school and inadvertently show us how slow we really were. There was a bar on the grounds, so the post-race was very enjoyable. The track was open for practice during the week, but you had to dodge the cows. - Info courtesy of Robert Adams Disposition Unknown

KENTUCKY

Castle Point
Castle Point, KY I remember an old buddy that carried a 3 digit pro number in the mid to late 1970's. He talked about this great track called Castle Point, Kentucky. If memory serves, they held a National or Trans AMA back in 1975. Another great track was the one in Washington, Indiana. They held Trans AMA races and Nationals there during the same time period. One of my prized possessions is a Pennzoil banner that a fried stole from the fence right after the races. Does anyone remember these tracks? Disposition Unknown

Little Saddleback
Richmond, KY Just west of Richmond It was closed in the early 80's after a careless fatality, and is now a subdivision.
Info courtesy of Robert Adams

LOUISIANA

Motocross West
Waggaman, Louisiana (suburb of New Orleans) The track is now a gravel pit. It`s owned by J.P. Phillips & Son (Marion Phillips). Marion`s family owned the track during its operation and groomed the track for racing.
Site of last race ``One Chance to Win.`` The last race of the 1973, 1974, 1975, 1976, Nationals were held here. Labor Day weekend. I worked for the local promoter (Rookie Leopold) at Honda West. I met all the big guns during the classic days because I always had a pit pass. Karsmakers, Lackey, Hannah, Glover (while on a DG Honda). The Suzuki mechanics at that time were all Japanese in their clean jumpsuits. I experienced a lot of one-on-one time with Marty Smith and Tommy Croft during the 1975 National. It was a great track. If you ask any of the guys from that era, they’ll tell you it was a bitchin track, but hotter than hell!
David Bailey raced here on a JT-1 Yamaha ``Mini-Enduro.`` Gary Bailey taught a school here on an annual basis. You might contact Gary or others who took pictures during the time...

There were great National battles at this site which I`ll remember for a lifetime.

(Info Courtesy of Steve)

Shreveport MotoX
Downtown Shreveport, LA Disposition Unknown

MAINE

Waterboro Disposition Unknown

MARYLAND

Aqausco
Aquasco, MD Operated approximately 79-99 Closed due to encroaching development

Big Berm
Carroll County, MD Closed in 1980

Damascus Had �GP� style MX races (natural grass, no man-made obstacles) Disposition Unknown

Keyser�s Ridge Hosted a national on July 4, 1976 Disposition Unknown

Maryland Line Closed in 1979

Sparks Disposition Unknown

MASSACHUSETTS

Lanesborough
Lanesborough, MA Disposition Unknown

Ludow
Ludow, MA Disposition Unknown

Pepperel
Pepperel, MA Disposition Unknown

Southwick
Still in operation

NEBRASKA

Herman
Herman, Nebraska

Click to Enlarge Founded in 1974 by Omaha dentist Dr. Gerald Byrd. Dr. Byrd and his three sons were mx enthusiasts; David Byrd even held an AMA pro license and raced several Support class events on his Maico.
The track held a large non-national event, 250cc and 500cc, in 1974. All the teams, save for Team Honda, were present. In 1975, the track had its most active year, holding a 250cc National, an Inter Am race and a Trans AMA event. The Inter Am event might have been the most exciting, as CZ teammates Zdenek Velky and Oldrich Hammersmid took each other out in the first turn. Hammersmid broke his arm (looking over the fence at then CN reporter Jody Weisel, he smiled and said "Kaput!" while dangling the broken limb), but Velky got up to finish fourth. He then returned to win the second moto, although his 4-1 was bested by Tony DiStefano's 1-2 for the overall win.

The track held 250cc and 125cc Nationals from 1977-79. All six 250cc motos were won by Bob Hannah.

Out side of town on the top of a hill in some farmers field. The soil was the best soil I've ever ridden on in 45 years of riding The berms were huge standup and rail types. They held a national there in 1979 .I still have the shirt. It was part of the Hannah /Howerton rolling circus.It also had the first rythm (whoop de do's) section I'd ever seen. All the guys would sit and watch Hannah during practice and try to figure how he was doubling thru the section.

The Byrd family lost interest in racing in the early 1980's and the facility was returned to farm ground in 1982. The large jump, leading to a fast downhill sweeper was still visibile to those who remember the old track. As late as 1995, the farmer who raised crops at the old site stated that bolts, pieces of plastic and rubber would still turn up every Spring in the freshly plowed soil.

NEW HAMPSHIRE

Jolly Rodger Disposition Unknown

OHIO

Crash and Burn Raceway
Canal Fulton, OH Crash and Burn raceway later named Grand Prix raceway at Canal Fulton Ohio. Whadda name huh? I raced my first race here in 74 and it had been going on for a while. Big elevation changes,big downhill jump, Was'nt a very long track Have no idea when it closed.
Disposition Unknown

Malvern, OH Awesome track located in an old stripmine. Had the steepest uphills you ever saw, the soil was like brownie batter. Would of been a great venue for a national. Held AMA qualifiers. Can't recall the name.Someone else help me on this one as I moved to Calif in 80
Disposition Unknown

Honda Hills
Linville, OH Owned by 50's flat track legend Dick Klamfath. It was a top notch camping facility and he had the prettiest daughters that helped him out at the races. Honda Hills had held some of the early inter-am races, Had a short track up on the top of the hill and a MX track on the side of the hill. Long and lots of elevation changes including a steep up hill on shale rock that pretty much guranteed new tires after a weekend. I spoke to Dick at the Del Mar Days and he said the new owners still hold races there.
Disposition Unknown

Mid - Ohio
Lexington, OH

Smith Road Raceway
Medina, OH Home track of Calvin Kalicki who was in a bad car crash with Greg Thiess a factory rider in the late 70's. This track wound thru the trees (hence the nick name "the tree farm" ). Scarry If you got off the track, One time the honda van pulls up and out jumps Steve Wise and Chuck Sun, They get out look at the track,shake their heads and get in and leave. I personally saw Jesus on this track one time while doing a handstand thru the trees doing about 45mph heading for the trees. They would wrap a matterss around the closest trees to the track.
Disposition Unknown

OREGON

Sidewinders
Clackamas, OR (Info Courtesy of Chris Sicilia)
Now a bunch of condos

Mulkey MX Park
McMinville, OR This track was a local haunt for the Sun brothers and Rick Burget.
(Info Courtesy of Chris Sicilia)
It is now a trailer park.

PENNSYLVANIA

Fogelsville
Fogelsville, PA There was a track in Fogelsville, PA. They even held a National there once. Jammin Jimmy won on a Kawasaki with a bent shock, beating out Tony D if my memory serves my correctly. (Submitted By Richard)

Keystone Raceway Park
New Alexandria, PA

Located at the intersection of Stone Jug Road and Beatty Lane in New Alexandria, PA. This was a natural terrain track which was located in the same facility as one of the local drag strips. Not only did we ride the MX track but we were known to make a few passes down the � mile in our muscle cars too. We rode there in the early to mid 70�s and I�m not sure if either track still exists today but they sure were fun back in the day.
(Info Courtesy of Dave McCullough)
Now a vacant field

Moto Mecca
?, PA Track located in a hilly area, hugh off cambers, held many AMA events. (Info Courtesy of Russell Bounds)

Penny Hollow MX Track
Aliquippa, PA Just last week I was trying to find the old Penny Hollow mx track in Aliquippa, PA. It closed in about 1984 and the land is still there. Looks like a private residence now.
(Info Courtesy of Ralph Flannery, Beaver, PA)
Disposition Unknown

TEXAS

Alford Motocross
Alford, TX Now an airport

Chapel Hill
Chapel Hill, TX Disposition Unknown

Cloverfield
Pearland, TX Now an airport

Mosier Valley Motocross Park
Dallas-Fort Worth, TX

Fairbanks Track
Houston, TX Disposition Unknown

Lockhart Track
Lockhart, TX Disposition Unknown

Longview Motocross
Longview, TX Now an airport

UTAH

St. George MX
St. George, UT
East end of St. George Blvd.

There used to be a nice home-town track at the end of St. George Blvd. in St. George Ut. It was located at the east end of the main drag under the shadow of a volcanic black rock mesa. I was working at a Yamaha shop in the early 80`s and it was our place to show off o
I loved Valley View, it was awesome. I raced the first race there and took second place in the 100 schoolboy class behind Jeff McCune. Jerry and Nancy Mclaughlin (SP) were such great people and knew how to run a motocross track.
danothemano
11/8/2015 7:10pm
motogeeze wrote:
Man. Wildcat was always one of my favorites, had to like the starting line bein parallel to the creek and you could back up off it...
Man. Wildcat was always one of my favorites, had to like the starting line bein parallel
to the creek and you could back up off it and sit in the shade of those trees watin on your moto , hottest day i ever rode was there ..I think it was 101 degrees and %85 humidity that sunday and we were out there doin it...crazy stuff....speaking of Mulberry how about Rolling Ridge in Homer not too far from there..both red dirt tracks..dont forget Snake Creek in its last incarnation was pretty good and then further west into ala on what I called the Rt 166 circuit was State Line ( the most prepped track ever..they plowed and watered between both sets of motos usually, nice deep black dirt) , Ranburne (always dusty but a neat layout ) and closer to home was good ole Whitesburg , it was a mx track then a stock car dirt track then a dump then an mx track again ...:O And up in South Carolina how can you forget Anderson, they held a national there and I actually pitted beside Bradshaw one day at a local race way back when he was still an up and comin amateur rider there..and since we're in SC there was the aptly named Hellhole mx...sandy and always brutally humid and hot in the summer and the gnats....I cant leave out Indian Creek over in Cullman Ala either, every year they held the pepsi classic on Labor Day and drew a ton of riders , it was one of those must go events for us guys here in the south.
Good times......
Whitesburg was one of the easier tracks on the bikes we had in 1973 and 1974. One of the races during practice I was behind jimmy Merck and he wheelied Over a downed intercom wire on a straight away and I was going to do the same and someone decided to get it out of my way and pulled it up and it caught my neck and me and my neck stayed there and my bike kept going. I got third that day and breathing was a chore. Of course I should not have raced but most of us were sure enough crazy dare devils
larsman
5/3/2018 4:54pm
Little Okie, is still an active track. In Madera, Ca. use google or bing map to visualize area. Take the Ave. 12 exit in Madera. Go east on Ave 12. Immediate left on Road 29. Right on Ave 13 1/2. Left on Road 29 1/4. Track is about 1/2 mile on the right. *Speed Limit Through Homes Is 25 MPH. Address is 13821 Rd 29 1/4, Madera, CA 93638
nepa70s
5/14/2018 9:54pm
viking24 wrote:
Here is a list of great tracks now gone from D-6 in PA. Moto Mecca - CA style moto park Fogelsville - held the 1976 PA...
Here is a list of great tracks now gone from D-6 in PA.

Moto Mecca - CA style moto park
Fogelsville - held the 1976 PA National, possibly one of the best MX tracks of it's time
Lycoming - hills, hills and more hills
Stormstown - had a monster ski jump hill
Tunnkhanok - off-cambers galore
Bethal
Bushkill - Freemansburg Hill Climb site
Slatington - Now the Boyesen Family private track
Chambersburg
Boiling Springs - crossed the dragstrip pavement 2 times
Trailways - the TT section on the night track was cool
Selinsgrove
Eagle Rock
New Tripoli - only raced one time and what a mud race it was!
Susquahanna Speedway
Oxford

I know these are old posts, just wanted to comment on this post.
I raced at some of these tracks in the 70's
Raced once at Fogelsville in '76, open am. It was an awesome track
Also remember
Stormstown
Bethel
Tunkhannock ( think it was actually Carverton )
Slatington
Trailways
Selingsrove
DirtMike
6/12/2018 10:07am
NW#599 wrote:
Forgotten Tracks by Vintagemx As a young kid out in Kansas, it seemed that Motocross tracks were all over the place. 30+ years later, most if...
Forgotten Tracks
by Vintagemx

As a young kid out in Kansas, it seemed that Motocross tracks were all over the place. 30+ years later, most if not all are now long gone, many returning to pasture land from whence they came.

However, some live on in our memories as we recall the glory days when we all were expert riders and could have taken DeCoster, Hannah, Smith, Lackey if they'd only come to our "home track".

This page is an attempt to document these tracks so they won't be entirely forgotten. If you know of an old track, long overgrown like the one on the right, send in the name, location, years it operated, photos and any story you might care to share to info@vintagemx.us.

CALIFORNIA

Ascot Park
I-110 @I-405 @ 91 Freeway
Gardena

The most famous and longest lasting of the night tracks. Built as a Flat track in the 1940's, Ascot hosted it's first night Motocross in 1968. Credited with starting the "stadium Motocross" concept years before the first "Super Bowl of Motocross" in 1972 Ascot was the starting point for the riders that would go on to race the early Supercrosses Note: this was actually the third location for Ascot Park. Two previous locations in the 1930's were closer to down town LA. Ascot hosted it's last Night Motocross on Nov 2, 1990 and closed for good several weeks later. Development of the property has been delayed by discovery of toxic chemicals in the soil, and the economic downturn of the area. Today, the dirt mound the bleachers were built on is all that remains of the original race track.
Ascot Park, Gardena, California, was a famous dirt racetrack located near Los Angeles, California. The track was built on the site of a former city dump. Before it was closed in 1990, it hosted the United States Auto Club championship series, and was used in movies like the original Gone in 60 Seconds A Very Brady Christmas and CHiPs.
With seating for only 7,500, Ascot Park was smaller than the other famous tracks of the era, such as Riverside International Raceway (closed 1989) and Ontario Motor Speedway (closed 1981). Yet, the park was equally well-known, because its location was surrounded by freeways, its regularly scheduled races, and its heavy radio advertising. The half-mile course featured tight semi-banked turns, long straight-ways, and a tacky surface that was conductive to dramatic sprint car racing.

It remained unused after a failed development project occupied the former site for a number of years. The park was later replaced by commercial buildings and paved over for parking. (Info Courtesy of Wikipedia)

Baymare
Bixby Rd and Balcom Canyon Rd.,
Moorepark, CA

Bloomfield
No Information Available

Butterfields
Orange County

Bob Bailey's Cycle Park.
182nd Street @ Normande Ave., Gardena Here is an unusual one. 1960's MX legend Gary Baily's brother, Bob bought an entire operating golf course with the intention to have a riding park and Moto Cross track. The course was laid out, races were scheduled, but at the last minute the city refused to issue operation permit. The ad's that ran in Cycle News asked "have you ever dreamed of riding on a golf course". The faculty never opened for business. To this day this remains the only example of land use in this fashion. Bob Bailey was forced to sell the property. The area is now houses. Note: While no one ever raced at the track, some locals were rumored to have broken into the faculty and practiced on the newly constructed track at night.

Banzai Cycle Park
Located next to Anaheim Stadium

For one glorious summer in 1972 (I think) there was an MX Park NEXT to Anaheim Stadium. One of my first rides ever was there - and they even held races. I remember it being on the South side, maybe off of Chapman. My first fall, my leg got caught under my down pipe and burned a scar I still have on my leg.
Paved over and now underneath a Fire Station.

Big Rock Dam MX Track
Located outside Palmdale, CA MX racing for about one year around 1970. Disposition Unknown

Carlsbad Raceway
Palomar Airport Road off the I-5, Carlsbad.

The only other track from this era that still operates today. The drag strip was built in the 1950's. Moto Cross was started in 1966 by CMC. This track is as famous as the Saddleback track, gaining international fame in the early 1970's when a round of the 500 World Championship GP's was held there and televised on Wide World Of Sports. The track is still in operation today, although a shadow of it's former self. The property has been sold several times (owners included the owners of the Wimpys hamburger chain). The topography of the site makes development difficult. While once in a rural area, the track is completely surrounded by industrial and high dollar residential development that is right to the fence surrounding the track. As the entrance to the property is being leveled for slabs, the end is rumored to be near.

Castiac
I-5 at Hwy 126 Junction Not the track located at Castiac Lake today. Original track was laid out by CMC president Stu Peters and original partner Calvin Franks using a rented farmers field. In 1968 this track hosted an Inter-Am which was won by Joel Robert. Exact location of track not clear. Believed to be in between the north and south portions of I-5. No evidence of original track remains.
Castaic an MX track first place i saw the Euros, this was when Bud Ekins brought them over, little racing from 67-69. The famous picture of Preston Petty flying in the air on his twinport Suzuki was taken there. (Info Courtesy of David Rendon)

Corona Raceway
Buchanan and 91 Fwy in Corona.

History: Famous for the Corona Gran Prix using a seven mile track. The night races used a bowel originally designed for flat track and TT Races. The night races were notorious for poor lighting. Spectators turned their car lights on the track to help racers see. This track was enormously popular with the Orange County, and Riverside area locals.
Disposition: This faculty lasted until the mid 1980's. When Saddleback closed in 1984, the operators of the popular "Saturday Saddleback" races moved these events to Corona for a short while until this faculty also closed, a victim of increasing land values and worries over liabilities. The land is now a large housing and light industrial complex. No evidence of the original track is left although the locals swear they can point out certain sections of the track.
Directions: Take the Riverside Freeway (91) to Pierce, turn right to Magnolia, right again to Buchanan and on to the track.
Info: Gates open a 5:30pm, practice 6:30, race 7:30. $5.00 entry for MX, $2.50 to watch.

.I used to race the dreaded dark night races here on my 250 OSSA Stiletto. The X shown is the center of the TT track where you banzaied down the hill on the left to the finish line jump on the TT flat track. The back side of that mountain was treacherous and i often found myself flying over bikes that were laid out due to the darkness back there. Rex Staten used to be so far ahead he would stop in the middle of the TT track, have a drink, kiss his girlfriend and take off with still a half lap lead! I never did well here. Down the 91 freeway to Saddleback was my place on a 1970 100 Sherpa Bul where i cleaned up in the junior class at age 15. (Info Courtesy of Eric Johnson)
Corona Advertisement

I used to work at Corona Raceway in high school. Racing for free was one of the perks! Good times back then. (Info Courtesy of Roger Kokos)

Cycle Haven
Terminal Island at the base of the Vincent St Thomas Bridge
Los Angeles Harbor. One of the local "Urban Tracks". Races were run by a local club. While the track was popular with the locals, the owners realized they could make much more money by rent the land to store shipping containers. The track and surrounding areas were paved over to make room for containers at the end of the 1970's.

Cycle Hill
Highland Park, CA Unsantioned racing during the 40`s 50`s and early 60`s mostly between the Checkers and 20 Night Owls motorcycle clubs. Scrambles track reminded me of Catalina. Disposition Unknown

Deadmans Point
Junction of Hwys 18
247 Lucerne Valley

Local races. Some AMA district 37 MX's Land is still intact. Track is rumored to still be there. Also rumored to be used a practice track by Rex Staten

De Anza Cycle Park
I-60 east of Marino Valley Near Banning Pass History: This park also featured open riding. Laid out in several steep valleys. The track was on the side of a hill and not very accessible to spectators, nor were the pits easy to get to.
Disposition: The faculty opened and closed numerous times through out the 70's and 80's. Recently operators attempted to get state funding to improve the faculty and operate as a "Green Sticker" park. Their efforts were mired down by local and regional politics. Amid scandals and charges of bribery, the park closed for good, some of the acreage being taken for an ever expanding land fill.
Racing: Every Saturday
Directions: 3 miles past Sunnymead on US 60. Take Theodore off ramp to Ironwood and follow the signs.

Gate: Gate $2.00, entry $4.00. Sign in at 7:30 a.m. Race 9:30 a.m. 33% brass

Del Amo
Cerritos, CA Del Amo & Bloomfield - circa 1971 - 72 it was where the large City Park in Cerritos is now, and as I remember occupied about half the acreage the park does now. The time or two I went was to ride, and I remember it was pretty wild - all bikes up to 125cc where allowed, and there was not any FORMAL track, just make up your own. I don`t remember anyone getting badly hurt - but thinking back, it was a wonder no-one did...
Now a city park

DeLevega Park
Santa Cruz, CA Site of the first annual Inter-Am Race in 1968, put on by Edison Dye Disposition Unknown.

Dos Rios
Arvin, CA There was an awesome MX track named Dos Rios that was located just a few miles south of Arvin, California. The track was owned and operated by a gentleman named Tom Woodruff. The track was located on Rancho Rd. One of my fondest memories was of Curtis Sparks showing up on a early 70's Honda 90 three wheeler. All our racing buddies would laugh at him for bringing that three wheeler to the track. At that time no one rode three wheelers. Curtis was good about not letting the guys get to him. I can still remember him saying. "That's alright go ahead and laugh, these three wheelers will make me famous some day". Curtis went on to race three wheelers for American Honda, Worked with Honda's R&D team and now is the owner of Curtis Sparks Racing. The track was in operation from the mid 70's to the mid 80's. Thanks Terry Disposition Unknown.

Edwards Air Force Base

El Toro Speedway
Junction of I-5 and I-405 Freeways Located across the freeway from OCIR this small 1/8th mile short track also hosted Sunday Motocross. The track took advantage of the natural bowl the oval track was in to feature some sizable hills. The area is now a retail center. The track was torn down in the early 1970's, a victim of the urban sprawl that is rapidly consuming much of Orange County.

Elsinore Raceway
I-15 @ Railroad Canyon Road in Elsinore A TT Scrambles track for many years, in the late 1960's an occasional Motocross was run. The faculty was closed in the late 1970's for racing. The TT track is still there in good condition. The track is used as an access road for a shooting range for the gun club that now owns the land.

Escape Country
Trabuco Canyon, California Operated mostly in the 1970s. Well maintained track that at times hosted the likes of Jeff Ward, Gary Ogden, Mike Tripes and others. Was known for having a separate class for those who were participating in their first race. Prior to the Beginner class you could enter the "First Day" class until you hit the top three. Then it was a forced transfer to the Beginner class.
(Info Courtesy of the Stedman Family)
Escape County fell victim to huge population growth in South OC and is now housing tracts.

Fontana Drag Strip
North of I-10 Frwy Near the old Fontana Steel Plant Yet another of the drag strip motocross tracks. While never having night MX races, CMC ran some early Golden State Races there. 68-69 Destroyed to make housing developments.

Four Corners
East of Barona Indian Reservation
San Diego County, CA there was a track in east San Diego county called four corners back in the 70s. It was just a little east of barona. my brother raced his 72 yellow tanker out there, we were there every sunday. I was 8 years younger and used to just ride around the hills
(Info Courtesy of Mark Terhaar)
Disposition Unknown

Holiday Hills
No Information Available

Hopetown
Santa Susana Pass Road at the east entrance to Simi Valley. Also known as Correginville

History: An old western movie set. This land was owned by legendary comedian Bob Hope (as was a big portion of Simi Valley and Malibu area in those days) Home of the Hopetown Gran Prix featuring the famous Hopetown mud hole. This event was one of the first U.S. appearances of Torsten Hallman, Joel Robert, and Roger Decoster
Disposition: Hopetown course is gone. The movie set lapsed into disrepair. Recently new owners are attempting to make a comeback as a movie set with the rise in popularity of period movies (i.e. westerns)
Directions: Hopetown/Corriganville Park is at the east end of the city of Simi Valley in Ventura county, CA. At the intersection of Kuehner dr. and Santa Susana Pass rd. Easy access from the 118, get off at Kuehner and go south about 2 miles.
Info: The track is still intact. The start was near the large clump of trees (Robin Hood forest) in the upper right of pic. Track went north and east into the foothills behind the rocks and up toward what is now the 118 freeway turned south passing near what is now a housing tract on the left side of pic then back toward the trees past the old movie set, the foundations are still visible before the track goes into the trees (the buildings burnt down in a fire in 1979), track followed the trees along the creek back to the start. 250 acres are now Corriganville park, belongs to the Simi Valley Rec. and Parks District. Racing here actually started in the early 1960s when "Crash" Corrigan owned the property (hence the park's name). website http://faculty.oxy.edu/...orrigan/corrigan.htm (Info Courtesy of Ian Dennely )
Track Layout

Huntington Beach Cycle Park
One block north of beach Blvd at Gothard in Huntington Beach

Originally a TT track, one Sunday a month was a Motocross using a long, but flat track. Mostly a local track, the regulars were hard to beat there. Closed in 1973, the site is now a trailer park

Huron Cycle Park
Huron, CA How about Huron Cycle Park in Huron, CA? A lot of guys should have heard of it. It came about, I believe in the late 70's or early 80's. Hosted a few big-name events, even. I was out of MX at that time (college days) but I did actually ride on what was left of the track in about '90 or '91, just playriding on my RM400 that was very wrong for the track. It was run by the city, I believe, then they let some private guys come in late in it's life. Tried to make a few comebacks, but too much opposition and/or poor business decisions. Was basically one of the early outdoor supercross-type tracks with tabletops, huge spiked whoops, etc.
The ground is now either vacant or has been turned to ag use.

Indian Dunes
I-5 @ Hwy 126
2 miles from Magic Mountain

One of the original "cycle parks" which allowed open riding. This park featured two main tracks International, and Shadow Glen as well as speedway, TT, and a separate mini bike track. The park was also used to film action movies. Multiple races each week as well as a Gran Prix with a river crossing jump as part of the track Stopped operating as a cycle park in Feb 1985. Many local riders and parents launched petition drives to have it reopened to no avail. Continued to operate as a movie set until recently. Once a wooded area next to a river, all evidence of the original park has been removed including the trees. Now nothing more than a field of lettuce plants. Unless you raced there you would never know it was ever there.
RICK "SUPER HUNKY" SIEMAN'S WRITES.....Indian Dunes was closed down after a rash of lawsuits when they turned the tracks into supercross-styled course loaded with double and triple jumps. I can recall racing at the Shadow Glen course one Saturday and the ambulance hauled about 20 people to the hospital, many with horrible injuries.
It's still used by the studios (and still owned by Newhall Land and Farming Company), but there is no trail riding or racing allowed at the facility.

In my less than humble opinion, the trend toward supercross-styled outdoor tracks is one of the biggest reasons for the decline of the sport. In this age of rampant litigation, tracks get closed down, rather than have the landowners face huge legal fees.

HE ALSO WRITES...Indian Dunes is still there, but not open to the general public. Now, the movie and TV people use it for location shooting. To get to the Dunes, go north of LA on Highway 5, turn left on 126 and it's on the left side a few miles down the road.

Irvine
91 Frwy @ Green River Anaheim Hills Thought to be one of the first "Moto Cross" tracks in the country. Although called "Irvine" location was what is now Anaheim Hills. Races were run by ACA. Track consisted of river bottom sand. Poster advertising 1966 races recently surfaced, map to location used only roads and "expressways" as this was before the interstate system carved up southern California. Area has been so completely developed, no traces remain of original track or surrounding area.

Irwindale Drags
I-210 @ I-605 Irwindale Part of the famous night MX scene of the late 60's early 70's. In those days is was possible to race from Tuesday night through Friday nights every week. In 1976 the city of Irwindale leased the property to Miller Brewing Company for one dollar a year to build a brewery. The main buildings sit on the exact spot the MX track was located. No evidence remains of the track or the drag strip.

Lemoore Naval Air Base
Lemoore, CA There was a track on the grounds of Lemoore Naval Air Base near Lemoore, CA back in 70's. I think is was situated on part of the land the Navy leased out to farming operations. I raced on it a few times in '77. Pretty sure there is no trace of it now...all leased out to farming now, or covered up by expansion of the base.
Pretty sure there is no trace of it now...all leased out to farming now, or covered up by expansion of the base.

Little Okie
Chowchilla, CA There was one called "Little Okie" that was in or near, I believe, Chowchilla, CA. Had a big reputation in the mid/late 70's, as I recall. I never went up and rode it, but some of my buddies did. Probably no trace of it now.
Disposition Unknown

Lyons Drag Strip
I-405 @ Wilmington Ave
Long Beach One of the many drag strips in southern California at the time, Lyons hosted weekly night MX. Lyons closed in the late 1970's to become a storage lot for ocean going shipping containers. Small evidence of the original drag strip is visible but no indication of the MX track.

Muntz Cycle Park
23 Frwy @ Tierra Rejada Rd.
Thousand Oaks, CA

Built on a parcel of land owned by housing developer "Mad Man Muntz" (who also owned a chain of stereo stores in the 70's this track was a favorite of the San Fernando Valley locals such as Tom Rap, and Eddie Cole. As of 1997, land was still there being used to graze cattle. It is however surrounded by urban sprawl
Originally owned and operated by "Mad Man" Muntz an electronics (early car audio and big screen tvs) dealer in the San Fernando Valley (I bought my 1st 8 track tape player from him!) Muntz Cycle Park, Later known as Valley Cycle Park is at the intersection of what is now the 23 freeway and Tierra Rejada Rd. in Moorpark, CA. The main track is now covered by a golf course, but a hill climb and some of the riding trails can still be seen just north and uphill from the clubhouse.
A little side note to the Muntz story. The property was originally owned by the family that owned Seabiscuit (the famous race horse in the 1930s). I used to go roller skating as a kid with the grandaughter of Seabiscuit's owner Charles Howard, Missy Howard, who lived on a ranch across the street from what became the cycle park. The ranch house is still there but the ranch itself has been subdivided into large horse properties.(Info Courtesy of Ian Denelly)

Ontario Motor Speedway
Junction of I-15 and I-10 freeways in Ontario This all new racing faculty was built as a work of art in the late 1960's. It featured an oval track, road course, drag strip, and Moto cross track. With 80,000 seats the track hosted Indy cars and a Varity of events including Sunday Moto Crosses about once a month. A victim of the economic down turn in the 70's this faculty closed after only a few years of operation. It was eventually torn down. Until recently the giant dirt mound that held the seats remained as evidence of the track. This is now also gone. On the site is an industrial complex and the new Ontario Mills Super Mall

Orange County International Raceway (OCIR)
Junction of I-405, I-5 in Irvine Located at the end of the runway at El Toro Marine Base, OCIR was the newest of the southern California drag strips. Thursday night MX races were very popular with Orange County locals. This track lasted until the early 80's. It has since been bulldozed to make a high tech business park and interchange for a new freeway that also ran through what was once Saddleback

Osteens Cycle Park
Near junction of I-57, I-10 and 71 freeways in Pomona Owned by professional baseball legend Claude Osteen, this track featured a natural terrain out door track including a long off camber section laid out in a bowl shaped valley. The park closed after only a few years of operation. It is now a housing tract. The land was so altered to make houses, the untrained eye could find no evidence of the track ever being there.

Perris Raceway
Hwy 74 in the town of Perris

Click to Enlarge Started life in the 1950's as a half mile and TT tracks. CMC started racing Moto Cross there in the late 1960's. Featured in the original "On Any Sunday" movie, the scene where the racer on the Sachs throws away his $30.00 prescription glasses. Legend has it that racer in the movie is Honda's Eric Crippa One of only two tracks that remain today from the original tracks of the 60's and 70's, this faculty holds weekly events. Rumors of the track closing for good come and go. Although the track is just yards from houses, operations continue.

Ponderosa Ranch
Ave. J, Lancaster, CA No Info Available

Rawhide Cycle Park
Hwy 74 aprox 2 miles from I-15 near Elsinore On the same road that leads to Perris, this challenging track featured several water crossings, many hills and big rocks. Several CMC races ran there in the early 70's the faculty closed after being in operation for only a short time. While the track itself is gone, the land it was on is still undeveloped. The locals still ride there.

Rialto Cycle Park
(AKA Arroyo now Glen Helen)
Junction of I-15 and I-215 Freeways in Devore In the same basic location as the modern day Glen Helen, this early, much smaller version featured a well laid out track kept moist with water from a natural springs on the property Located near a medium security prison, the park was closed for a number of years. Legend has it that the prison complained about the noise

Riverside Raceway
I-60 @ I-215, Riverside While not a motocross track, this area was famous for the Riverside Gran Prix. Today the Property is a shopping mall. The sign for the shopping mall IS the original raceway sign, but altered slightly. The mound seen near it was also part of the raceway grandstands. Nothing remains of the car track or off road course.

Rusty Nails
Acton, CA Scrambles and TT Track in the 40s, 50s and 60s Disposition Unknown

Saddleback Park
Santiago Canyon Road Irvine. The prototype for open riding parks across the country, Saddleback is possibly the most famous and photographed track in the sport. Often called the "mecca" of Moto Cross, more national stars emerged from Saddleback than any other track in the country. One little known story is that the original MX track was far from the location of the track that most people knew. The first track was laid out in 1967 by Joel Robert. The location was further down the hill near the city of Irvine. Those that rode the first track state it was far superior to the more famous track. Noise complaints from the town forced park operator (Joe Parkhurst) to move the track to it's more commonly known location. Saddleback Park closed in July 1984. There are many legends and stories as to why the park stopped operations. Disputes between the leaseholder and the property owner, the giant Irvine Company initially closed the park. Over the years there have been many efforts to reopen the track both from within the MX industry, and by private individuals. The Irvine Company was, at one time, supposed to have had over 300 million in unsettled liability lawsuits pending, making a reopening very unlikely. Today, a new freeway has removed most of what was once the pit area. Most of the track is still desirable to any one who has ever ridden there.

Salinas Sand Pits
Crazy Horse Canyon Road and Highway 101 Prunedale, CA

Click to Enlarge Sand, and lots of it. Most of the track was in a flat area but the first corner and the first quarter of the track were built on a hillside. The track shutdown due to development. You can still see some trails in the current satelite photo of the area
I learned to ride in the river bed of the Carmel River and the Dunes of Fort Ord (Sand, sand, sand). The Salinas Sand Pits was a true Sand Track. When prepped before a race it was as smooth and as flat as a freeway but by the end of the day the whoops seemed gigantic. I raced the 125 class which made sand starts much more interesting. The best part of this track was the big sandy berms. You could slam into them while your handlebars hovered just above the sand. (Info Courtesy of Brad Jones (Carmel Racing Team))
Sand Pits

Santa Cruz County Fairgrounds
2601 E Lake Ave, Watsonville, CA

Click to Enlarge The track was built on hillside beyond the fairgrounds extended parking lot overlooking agricultural fields (Artichokes and Lettuce). The starting gate was at the top of a hill that went through a ravine and then back up to a 180 degree right hand turn. After the second turn (left) you ramped up to the track's one true jump and then came the "drop-off", feared by Novices and loved by Magoo. The track had several off-camber turns and nothing about this track was flat but then again nothing was too steep (with the exception of the big drop-off). The dirt was mixed but mostly the California hard stuff. There are auto races held at the fairgrounds but the permit is limited to that use only. You can see from the satelite photo that there are building near the old track site so that plays heavily into the equation. Bottom line.....no more MX.
The Santa Cruz Ridgerunners ran AMA District 36 races here in the 70's and 80's and I believe that Billy and Bob Grossi's Dad was one of the original Ridgerunners. That being said, this was the home track for many NorCal Pro's including the Grossi's, Jeff Watts, Charles Halcomb, Mike "Neezer" Marquez and many more. It was always foggy in Watsonville and I remember that at times the fog was so thick you could not see the track during practice. It was here that I first saw Danny Magoo Chandler "perform" his no hands no feet tricks off the jump and the dreaded drop off. It was also here that I entered my first MX race, got my first holeshot and won my first moto. I'll always have fond memories of the track we called "Watsonville". (Info Courtesy of Brad Jones, Carmel Racing Team)
Track Backwards Brad Jones Charles Halcomb Danny Chandler

Santee Sand Pits
Santee, CA

Click to Enlarge Located in the riverbed right in the middle of Santee Still there.
I practiclly lived at the sand pits on my bikes, I lived right across the street. If you know where the Walmart is in Santee just behind it was the main area of the sand pits. The San Diego river runs through there ( and still does ) . They even had a race out there once, I dont remember who put it on but Marty Tripes was like the Grand Marshall. Even my mom used to ride out there, she had a yam. dt 250. (Info Courtesy of Mark Terhune, Santee, CA)

Sea Breeze Park
I-5 near the junction of the Pacific Coast Highway in San Clemente This natural terrain Moto Cross track was laid out on a rolling hill side over looking the Pacific Ocean. Several CMC races ran there in the early 70's. Riders liked the fact that the ocean breezes kept the temperatures down in the summer (unlike Carlsbad) and that they could be at the beach five minutes after their last moto. Noise complaints from a church some distance away spelled the beginning of the end for Sea Breeze. The rapid and prolific development of south Orange County in the mid 1970's sealed the fate. Today in the area there are thousands of tract houses and no evidence that Sea Breeze was ever there.

Spartans
Adjacent to Seaside High School football and baseball fields next to Hwy.1 in Seaside, CA

Click to Enlarge A very basic TT track with one jump and few turns. Just across Hwy.1 from the Pacific Ocean and the sand dunes of Monterey. Understandably very sandy and a blast to ride. As you can see from the satelite photo today it looks like someone has been riding here.
There weren't many races here if my memory serves me (probably due to it being adjacent to a high school). I raced a TT here once in 1975 against Jeff Haney and won (he was very young at the time). At the time I didn't know who he was. The photos below are of the day I beat Jeff Haney. That's me with the front end in the air off the start and Haney on a '75 CR125 just to the right (with the TT bars). (Info Courtesy of Brad Jones (Carmel Racing Team))
Spartans Start - 1975 Spartans First Turn - 1975

Speedway 117
(AKA Southbay Speedway)
Chula Vista, CA Next to the mexican border off what is now the 905. Last raced in in 1982-3. Pretty much a oval with supercross track in the middle. Had night races. Rising land values plus the liability stuff that was running rampant in Ca killed it. Interesting note. When Marty Smith started his schools, he taught them at 117.
Disposition Unknown
Regarding Speedway 117, I raced there quite a bit in 1981-1983. They finished the 83 season and stopped. They ran May through Sep or Oct. It was Wednesday nights on what I remember as a track with big jumps to hard landings. Rick Johnson raced there and I remember him winning all three pro classes at age 15. He rode a YZ125 and 250 as well as that famous Protech Yamaha four stroke. Before he had a drivers license, he was saving up for a van to go to distant races. One time they had a jumping distance contest on a crappy jump at the finish line. Johnson won a home stereo system with his longest jump. I used to battle with Frank Thomson, who has been running REM races for many years at Carlsbad and now Glen Helen.
(Info Courtesy of Ed Stovin)

Spillway Park
Santa Maria, CA

Sprocketts
Bakersfield, CA

Click to Enlarge
I raced Sprockets Park in Bakersfield Ca. a few times back in the 70's and 80's. Here is the location of the defunked park. In the 70's it was a great TT track with a good sized jump in the middle. I remember it being hard pack and very slick. I blew up my first motor (100 Kawasaki G5) while practicing there.I was 13 at the time and remember feeling like I had just killed my best friend.Later on in the early 80's they plowed it up and built a Moto Cross track.I had a 1983 480 Honda and cleared my first set of doubles there. It's funny cause they were only about 15 foot apart but they really psyched me out.I don't know the politics of the park or why it's not there any more, but my guess would be money for the land. In it's place is a steam generation plant for the local oil fields.I remember talk at the time about using the green sticker money to build us another place to ride, but of course that never happened. (Info Courtesy of Jim McWhorter)

Sunrise Cycle Park. (AKA 395, or Adelanto Cycle Park.
Hwy 395 in Adelanto. Opened in the early 1960's, the original track had short track and TT's. Moto Cross Was started in the late 60's. Over the years, the faculty has been operated by a number of different lease holders. The land and the track are there today, but at the current time, the faculty is closed.

Terminal Island
near the Vincent Thomas Bridge I never rode or went there, but it was there - just east and north of the east end of the Vincent Thomas Bridge - again I think it was restricted to 125`s and below as there just wasn`t a whole lot of acreage. This Park was there in the late 70`s - maybe 1979. Again, it was short lived, but memorable, across Ocean Blvd. from where the Spruce Goose was kept before IT moved to the Dome next to the Queen Mary.

Trojan Speedway
I-710 @ Florence Ave Built in the heart of East Los Angeles industrial area in the 50' and 60', this was a short track that had some night MX. While never as famous as Ascot and others it was part of the weekly So-Cal night race circuit Land was sold in the mid 1970's. Track closed property is now a self-storage business. No evidence of the original track

Westlake
Westlake GP track site is at the northwest corner of Kanan Rd and Lindero Canyon Rd. in the Westlake/North Ranch area of Thousand Oaks CA just north of the L.A./Ventura county border. About 4 miles north of the 101 freeway, exit Lindero Canyon in Agoura Hills. Look for St. Maximillian Kolbe church on the left and the Starbucks on the right.

Click to Enlarge Used for Viewfinders Gran Prix the track Featured a western movie set where the weekly western Gun Smoke was filmed. This track hosted a Inter-Am in 1969 the track ran through the barn, and down the main street of the western town. Western movie set was still intact until 1995 when it was finally destroyed for a housing development.
The movie set that hosted the Westlake GP for a couple of years was only about 2 miles from my boyhood home. While we lived there during the Westlake GP years, I never saw the race, only heard about it later as I hadn't yet found motorcycles. My friends and I during the late 1960s used that same movie set as a playground and later actually recreated the track (the barn door was always locked, so instead of going through the barn we had go around it) on our CT 70s and 90s and eventually on our Sachs and Yamaha 125s. The movie set and surrounding terrain was host to hundreds of films from the early years of film through the 1970s. The outside scenes in Gunsmoke, some of the scenes from Bonanza and countless movies were filmed there. I watched the grips paint the grass green under a large oak tree with a spray can for the picnic scene in Bonnie and Clyde and the filming of the opening scene of The Great Northfield Minnesota Raid there. Many great memories. Today all remnants of the track and movie set are gone. A large Catholic church and multi million dollar homes cover the area. The creek the the track crossed before going through the barn is visible in the pic as the trees between the houses in the rectangle. (Info Courtesy of Ian Dennelly)

CONNECTICUT

Central Village Disposition Unknown

GEORGIA

Atlanta International Raceway
Atlanta Held a national here in 1979.As I recall next to a paved racetrack. Interesting thing about this track was they mixed the cotton fluff (or residue) from the local cotton mills into the soil to keep it loamy, so not only was it super loamy but technicolor too. You'd go into a corner and literally sink into the berms. It was very flat and ran in and out of the woods.
Disposition Unknown

Holiday Downs
Atlanta We used to race in the late 60's and early 70's at Holiday Downs in Atlanta, GA, and at Whitesburg MX in Douglas County, GA. The fast bikes were the LT2 MX, the AT1 MX, CR125, Wombat 125, DKW 125, Rickmans, Sachs in various forms, LOL. Disposition Unknown

Whitesburg MX
Douglas County See Above Disposition Unknown

INDIANA

Terre Haute Competition Riders
North of Terre Haute, IN east off of Highway 63 (south of Clinton, IN) I believe the land was leased from Gibson Company, current use of the land is unknown. AMA sanctioned amateur MX races were held there circa 1973-1983. The "Bomber" Mark Barnett raced CR-125 Elsinores at this track occasionally during 1974-1975, winning the Indiana 125 cc A state championship in 1974.
(Info Courtesy of Carl Richey)
Disposition Unknown

Washington
Washington, IN Another great track was the one in Washington, Indiana. They held Trans AMA races and Nationals there during the same time period. One of my prized possessions is a Pennzoil banner that a fried stole from the fence right after the races. Does anyone remember these tracks? Disposition Unknown

KANSAS

Packer's Camp
Williston Point Rd, Fort Riley

Click to Enlarge This track was located on the military reservation Fort Riley, Kansas. For a couple of years it hosted races for military personnel. Of all the tracks I've seen, this track had it all, including water crossings. The land the track was on is still there and if you look close, much of the track can still be seen. Motorcycle riding is now strictly forbidden.

Manhattan Raceway Park
Manhattan, KS

Click to Enlarge This track was located just off Highway 18 between Ogden and Manhattan, next to a drag strip. The track was completely flat but offered one of the first tabletops in the state. It also featured a unique first turn after the start that was carved into the ground. Manhattan also offered night racing. There are no indications that the track ever existed now, although the drag strip is still there.

"The Race Place"
East 1st St, Enterprise, KS

Click to Enlarge This was the only track I ever saw that was located on a 40 acre golf course. Track was long and offered gentle terrain changes. The back straightaway was located on the 6th fairway and provided the ability for riders to click into 6th gear...if they had one. The track received many complaints from local residents due to noise and dust and eventually ceased operation.

"The Race Place II"
East of Junction City, KS

Click to Enlarge This track was a joint venture between Frank Royce and Hank Spaulding. Operated for a short time in the 1977-1978 time frame. Had a covered starting area and a wild whoop section. Disposition unknown.

Clay Center
Clay Center, KS Track located northwest of Clay Center in a gully in the middle of a cow pasture. Track was short, but provided a great view for spectators. Not sure what happened to this track, probably returned to the cows.

Florence Grand Prix
Florence, KS This might be the wrong kind of racing but I ran a race called the ``Florence Gran-Prix`` in 1972 when a very small Northeast Kansas town called Florence had their 100 year celebration. It was all MX bikes, 4 classes, 125,200,250, and open, and it ran out though the country and back in town on the brick streets. The small town didn`t own a street-sweeper. I ran it in 1973 also. Town still exists.

Freddy Van's
Pittsburg, KS Pittsburg Ks. had a great track called ``Freddy Van`s``.
Disposition Unknown

Garden City, KS Sandy Track

Luray
Luray, KS This track was located near Luray, Kansas and was run by Bob Rose. The pits were located on a hill overlooking the track and was a great spectators track Disposition unknown

Cycle Acres
Centennial Rd & East Cloud
Salina, KS Track located near the Cessna plant
There was an active track in Salina, and we were so gung-ho in those days that we rode year-around. I remember riding in the snow in Salina and in Dodge. Garden City was a neat track that pretty much finished me - a high-speed straight into a sand pit that caused a monster endo. Saw my first 501 Maico there, courtesy of the LeValley brothers.

(Info Courtesy of Robert Adams)
Ground vacant.

Phillipsburg
Phillipsburg, KS Not Available Disposition Unknown

Oldsburg
Oldsburg, KS
Not Available Disposition Unknown

Neosho Rapids
Neosho Rapids, KS Not Available Disposition Unknown

Hutchinson
Hutchinson, KS This track was located in Gormalies Grove near Hutchinson, KS and run by the Prarie Pups Motorcycle Club. It is reported that the track is no longer there.

Jeeps
Wichita, KS

Click to Enlarge Not Available Disposition Unknown

Sprockets
Wichita, KS Sprockets was located East of Rock Road and South of 63rd St. by Cook Airfield.
I ``believe`` housing builders took it over. It was moved to Rose Hill KS

International Raceway
Maize, KS

International Raceway was a sandy track and I think we ran there on Sundays. It has reopened and now is called ``Bar 2 Bar``.
Disposition Unknown

81 Speedway
Wichita, KS We ran MX at 81 Speedway, a stock car circle track, but we raced on the very East side, not any on the track.
Disposition Unknown

Dodge City
Dodge City, KS Not Available Disposition Unknown

Atwood, KS There was some real energy in Atwood where Benny Jumper caught MX fever and, if memory serves, had Edison Dye put on a race that featured one of the factory Husky riders. This was in '69 or '70 (before I traded my Norton dirt tracker for a CZ). MX was so unknown in those days that anyone who really wanted to could draw top competitors. (Benny Jumper was behind the Atwood efforts, but came to a sad end as a result of a fluke hang glider accident.) - Info courtesy of Robert Adams Disposition Unknown

Rockledge
Hays, KS A track south of Hays, Rockledge, was a hot spot - a bowl on a farm that made a good track, and a site for rock concerts. We brought some Colorado riders to give a school and inadvertently show us how slow we really were. There was a bar on the grounds, so the post-race was very enjoyable. The track was open for practice during the week, but you had to dodge the cows. - Info courtesy of Robert Adams Disposition Unknown

KENTUCKY

Castle Point
Castle Point, KY I remember an old buddy that carried a 3 digit pro number in the mid to late 1970's. He talked about this great track called Castle Point, Kentucky. If memory serves, they held a National or Trans AMA back in 1975. Another great track was the one in Washington, Indiana. They held Trans AMA races and Nationals there during the same time period. One of my prized possessions is a Pennzoil banner that a fried stole from the fence right after the races. Does anyone remember these tracks? Disposition Unknown

Little Saddleback
Richmond, KY Just west of Richmond It was closed in the early 80's after a careless fatality, and is now a subdivision.
Info courtesy of Robert Adams

LOUISIANA

Motocross West
Waggaman, Louisiana (suburb of New Orleans) The track is now a gravel pit. It`s owned by J.P. Phillips & Son (Marion Phillips). Marion`s family owned the track during its operation and groomed the track for racing.
Site of last race ``One Chance to Win.`` The last race of the 1973, 1974, 1975, 1976, Nationals were held here. Labor Day weekend. I worked for the local promoter (Rookie Leopold) at Honda West. I met all the big guns during the classic days because I always had a pit pass. Karsmakers, Lackey, Hannah, Glover (while on a DG Honda). The Suzuki mechanics at that time were all Japanese in their clean jumpsuits. I experienced a lot of one-on-one time with Marty Smith and Tommy Croft during the 1975 National. It was a great track. If you ask any of the guys from that era, they’ll tell you it was a bitchin track, but hotter than hell!
David Bailey raced here on a JT-1 Yamaha ``Mini-Enduro.`` Gary Bailey taught a school here on an annual basis. You might contact Gary or others who took pictures during the time...

There were great National battles at this site which I`ll remember for a lifetime.

(Info Courtesy of Steve)

Shreveport MotoX
Downtown Shreveport, LA Disposition Unknown

MAINE

Waterboro Disposition Unknown

MARYLAND

Aqausco
Aquasco, MD Operated approximately 79-99 Closed due to encroaching development

Big Berm
Carroll County, MD Closed in 1980

Damascus Had �GP� style MX races (natural grass, no man-made obstacles) Disposition Unknown

Keyser�s Ridge Hosted a national on July 4, 1976 Disposition Unknown

Maryland Line Closed in 1979

Sparks Disposition Unknown

MASSACHUSETTS

Lanesborough
Lanesborough, MA Disposition Unknown

Ludow
Ludow, MA Disposition Unknown

Pepperel
Pepperel, MA Disposition Unknown

Southwick
Still in operation

NEBRASKA

Herman
Herman, Nebraska

Click to Enlarge Founded in 1974 by Omaha dentist Dr. Gerald Byrd. Dr. Byrd and his three sons were mx enthusiasts; David Byrd even held an AMA pro license and raced several Support class events on his Maico.
The track held a large non-national event, 250cc and 500cc, in 1974. All the teams, save for Team Honda, were present. In 1975, the track had its most active year, holding a 250cc National, an Inter Am race and a Trans AMA event. The Inter Am event might have been the most exciting, as CZ teammates Zdenek Velky and Oldrich Hammersmid took each other out in the first turn. Hammersmid broke his arm (looking over the fence at then CN reporter Jody Weisel, he smiled and said "Kaput!" while dangling the broken limb), but Velky got up to finish fourth. He then returned to win the second moto, although his 4-1 was bested by Tony DiStefano's 1-2 for the overall win.

The track held 250cc and 125cc Nationals from 1977-79. All six 250cc motos were won by Bob Hannah.

Out side of town on the top of a hill in some farmers field. The soil was the best soil I've ever ridden on in 45 years of riding The berms were huge standup and rail types. They held a national there in 1979 .I still have the shirt. It was part of the Hannah /Howerton rolling circus.It also had the first rythm (whoop de do's) section I'd ever seen. All the guys would sit and watch Hannah during practice and try to figure how he was doubling thru the section.

The Byrd family lost interest in racing in the early 1980's and the facility was returned to farm ground in 1982. The large jump, leading to a fast downhill sweeper was still visibile to those who remember the old track. As late as 1995, the farmer who raised crops at the old site stated that bolts, pieces of plastic and rubber would still turn up every Spring in the freshly plowed soil.

NEW HAMPSHIRE

Jolly Rodger Disposition Unknown

OHIO

Crash and Burn Raceway
Canal Fulton, OH Crash and Burn raceway later named Grand Prix raceway at Canal Fulton Ohio. Whadda name huh? I raced my first race here in 74 and it had been going on for a while. Big elevation changes,big downhill jump, Was'nt a very long track Have no idea when it closed.
Disposition Unknown

Malvern, OH Awesome track located in an old stripmine. Had the steepest uphills you ever saw, the soil was like brownie batter. Would of been a great venue for a national. Held AMA qualifiers. Can't recall the name.Someone else help me on this one as I moved to Calif in 80
Disposition Unknown

Honda Hills
Linville, OH Owned by 50's flat track legend Dick Klamfath. It was a top notch camping facility and he had the prettiest daughters that helped him out at the races. Honda Hills had held some of the early inter-am races, Had a short track up on the top of the hill and a MX track on the side of the hill. Long and lots of elevation changes including a steep up hill on shale rock that pretty much guranteed new tires after a weekend. I spoke to Dick at the Del Mar Days and he said the new owners still hold races there.
Disposition Unknown

Mid - Ohio
Lexington, OH

Smith Road Raceway
Medina, OH Home track of Calvin Kalicki who was in a bad car crash with Greg Thiess a factory rider in the late 70's. This track wound thru the trees (hence the nick name "the tree farm" ). Scarry If you got off the track, One time the honda van pulls up and out jumps Steve Wise and Chuck Sun, They get out look at the track,shake their heads and get in and leave. I personally saw Jesus on this track one time while doing a handstand thru the trees doing about 45mph heading for the trees. They would wrap a matterss around the closest trees to the track.
Disposition Unknown

OREGON

Sidewinders
Clackamas, OR (Info Courtesy of Chris Sicilia)
Now a bunch of condos

Mulkey MX Park
McMinville, OR This track was a local haunt for the Sun brothers and Rick Burget.
(Info Courtesy of Chris Sicilia)
It is now a trailer park.

PENNSYLVANIA

Fogelsville
Fogelsville, PA There was a track in Fogelsville, PA. They even held a National there once. Jammin Jimmy won on a Kawasaki with a bent shock, beating out Tony D if my memory serves my correctly. (Submitted By Richard)

Keystone Raceway Park
New Alexandria, PA

Located at the intersection of Stone Jug Road and Beatty Lane in New Alexandria, PA. This was a natural terrain track which was located in the same facility as one of the local drag strips. Not only did we ride the MX track but we were known to make a few passes down the � mile in our muscle cars too. We rode there in the early to mid 70�s and I�m not sure if either track still exists today but they sure were fun back in the day.
(Info Courtesy of Dave McCullough)
Now a vacant field

Moto Mecca
?, PA Track located in a hilly area, hugh off cambers, held many AMA events. (Info Courtesy of Russell Bounds)

Penny Hollow MX Track
Aliquippa, PA Just last week I was trying to find the old Penny Hollow mx track in Aliquippa, PA. It closed in about 1984 and the land is still there. Looks like a private residence now.
(Info Courtesy of Ralph Flannery, Beaver, PA)
Disposition Unknown

TEXAS

Alford Motocross
Alford, TX Now an airport

Chapel Hill
Chapel Hill, TX Disposition Unknown

Cloverfield
Pearland, TX Now an airport

Mosier Valley Motocross Park
Dallas-Fort Worth, TX

Fairbanks Track
Houston, TX Disposition Unknown

Lockhart Track
Lockhart, TX Disposition Unknown

Longview Motocross
Longview, TX Now an airport

UTAH

St. George MX
St. George, UT
East end of St. George Blvd.

There used to be a nice home-town track at the end of St. George Blvd. in St. George Ut. It was located at the east end of the main drag under the shadow of a volcanic black rock mesa. I was working at a Yamaha shop in the early 80`s and it was our place to show off o
yes small correction on LITTLE OKIE was actually in madera south of chowchilla, i know this because we lived in madera ranchos at the time and my son thomas canton won third place trophy there his very first race on yz-125. back in 1960's there was a motocross track on private land back in the 60's at the end off my street called markridge rd in lacrescenta ca. it intersected at pennsylvania there was a small fenced off dam there because off the major flood back in 1930's where homes an people were washed away. the track was next to and behind dam. i used to ride my bultaco there whever i could! it had jumps and sand wash going along fenced in dam,you had to be real careful through there then then along straightaway into hillclimb that went up behind two home's, they were not real happy with any of us remember we all ran open chambers back then! i was chased by the highway patrol 5 maybe 6 times. so i get up top of track shut my engine down he would walk up to catch me when he'd almost get near i would coast down almost to the road, fired up under compression and race down markridge back home bike shoved into garage. he'd drive by real slow never got caught! here's the names of some of the people from my high school crescenta valley high in lacrescenta,ca, that rode with me.... me-mike canton jeff kosky trials rider, yamaha doug orban super rat, jeff wright penton,and a few others i can't remember.
VoodooHusky
2/21/2019 4:50pm
That was a fun read. I either rode, raced or attended many of the SoCal tracks back in the 70's.

Does anyone remember Running Springs Motorcycle Park (or whatever is was called) up by Arrowhead in SoCal? I don't think it was open very long but I remember it well because it was my first MX race probably in 1970 on my first dirt bike a Hodaka Ace 100. It was similar to Rawhide in that it was in a valley with a spring running through it.

There was one of the first High School MX races at Claude Osteen's probably back in 72/73. I remember it being on the local news channels. I think I have the program from it stashed somewhere.

I remember my dad racing a TT race at Prado Dam back in 68/69 on his BSA 441 Victor.

We also visited Elsinore TT track regularly as a kid. As a teenager, possible in my senior year, I raced a TT race there on my 1972 250 CZ and Eddie Lawson showed up and cleaned everyone's clocks. He went to Upland HS and I went to Montclair HS and I believe we both graduated in 1976.

We also raced High School MX at Corona Raceway on Friday nights. Someone earlier mentioned how dark it was and you couldn't see jack up in the hills. During half time we'd get our BMX bikes out, then Schwinn Stingrays, and race a lap around the TT track. Some of the High Schools were Montclair, Upland, Chino, Riverside, Corona, Rialto and I'm sure others. While not an official school sport we ran it as a club and had our photos in our yearbook.

ohiomotoxer
2/22/2019 7:25am
As for Honda turning around after seeing Smith Road in Medina Ohio I say...maybe, but.

Chuck Sun and Ross Williams (Ross was also in the wedding that left Medina local Cal Kalicki severely disabled) told me one day they would be riding at a Medina track, Medina Supply if I remember, got to ride with both Ross and Chuck that day. This was when Chuck was with Husqvarna, so he knew about the track and surely wouldn't leave having been there once before.
I do remember one big time pro saying "this gate would never make it at a national" which was true it was only a foot high forward falling, so you could basically wheelie over it before it fell....

Holy crap Chuck was fast as was his brother.

They ALL raced at Smith Road Memorial Day Monday. All the hotshoes from High Point would wander over to because SMR had a kick ass pro class payout.

This is Chuck Sun at Smith Road

Smith Road is still in operation today.

Sealerdave
8/15/2019 1:42pm
7I3N wrote:
Any So Cal guys remember this one? In the mid 70’s there used to be a track on the west end of the Santa Barbara airport...
Any So Cal guys remember this one? In the mid 70’s there used to be a track on the west end of the Santa Barbara airport run by the local MX club, the Santa Barbara Starters. It was a fun track. Some of the Dunes regulars would come up and race if there were no races down south. This picture is from there in early 1975. You can see how close the houses in the background were. No surprise it only lasted a few years.

My teenage boys raced there I also put on BMX races at this track
nepa70s
7/30/2020 10:13pm Edited Date/Time 7/31/2020 5:32am
There was a track near Fredricksburg, PA where I raced once in '76 or '77. Mickey Kessler showed up that day. At the time he was national #18 and a factory Montesa rider. He raced in the 250 & Open Expert classes, a local rider whose name escapes me now beat him in the 250 class. The Open Expert class he won, the closest I got to him was when I was 4th out of the first turn in the 1st moto.
PN27416
7/31/2020 3:45am
nepa70s wrote:
There was a track near Fredricksburg, PA where I raced once in '76 or '77. Mickey Kessler showed up that day. At the time he was...
There was a track near Fredricksburg, PA where I raced once in '76 or '77. Mickey Kessler showed up that day. At the time he was national #18 and a factory Montesa rider. He raced in the 250 & Open Expert classes, a local rider whose name escapes me now beat him in the 250 class. The Open Expert class he won, the closest I got to him was when I was 4th out of the first turn in the 1st moto.
If I'm thinking right that would have to be Sleepy Hollow which is still running. Kenny Adams maybe?
nepa70s
7/31/2020 5:29am
PN27416 wrote:
If I'm thinking right that would have to be Sleepy Hollow which is still running. Kenny Adams maybe?
Yes that's it, Sleepy Hollow
The 250 rider, I remember the bike was a KX that was on it's 3rd year. It would get a major redo each year, custom everything .
Kenny Adams sounds like a YZ rider from NJ that would be at Endless Mountains Motorsport (now Hurricane Hills) in Clifford PA quite often
viking24
7/31/2020 6:49am
A custom Kawi...maybe Tony DeLorenzo. He rode a Kawi frankenbike, built by Boyesen around that time. I believe Tony was a D6 champ in 76 or 77.
PN27416
7/31/2020 9:23am
viking24 wrote:
A custom Kawi...maybe Tony DeLorenzo. He rode a Kawi frankenbike, built by Boyesen around that time. I believe Tony was a D6 champ in 76 or...
A custom Kawi...maybe Tony DeLorenzo. He rode a Kawi frankenbike, built by Boyesen around that time. I believe Tony was a D6 champ in 76 or 77.
Tony is on here from time to time. Maybe he can confirm.
nepa70s
7/31/2020 11:12am
That does sound like it may be right, a long time ago
wwdiii
8/1/2020 6:31am
I’m sure it’s long gone, Big Red Motocross in Oklahoma City was my favorite track of all time. I raced there in th 70’s.
nepa70s
8/1/2020 6:03pm Edited Date/Time 8/9/2020 10:12am
There were a few tracks in New York state I would go to if the D6 race was too far away
Morley's Motocross Park ('75 NYS Championship, couple more times '76,'77)
Newark Valley
Oriskany Falls
Broome Tioga
Mexico, once, the sand wore me out
Never got to run Unadilla

Some other 70's D6 tracks that I didn't mention earlier
Springville
Roaring Branch
Bentley Creek
Rabbit Town (PA's Unadilla)
Leck Kill
Shade Gap

My first race was at a non D6 track at
New Albany on a '74 Yamaha MX100
Mugen racer
8/3/2020 5:46pm
Hey Pete and Nepa70s, Yes you are correct. Eyvind built me a very trick KX250. Major frame modifications, awesome reed valve cylinder that was tricker than the factory ones Eyvind was doing for team Kawasaki. Hand built pipe. A custom built Thor swingarm. Machined KYB forks, modified KYB shocks with reservoirs. I remember lining up next to Mickey on the inside of him. His Montesa was no match for my KX. I ran it in as deep as you could possibly go.That bike handled great and was a pleasure to ride. Best of all, I still have it. Really great times racing in the 70's. A big thank you to Eyvind, Dad, and my girlfriend/mechanic Pat. Now my wife of almost 40 years. I couldn't have done it without you.
PN27416
8/5/2020 1:41pm
Hey Pete and Nepa70s, Yes you are correct. Eyvind built me a very trick KX250. Major frame modifications, awesome reed valve cylinder that was tricker than...
Hey Pete and Nepa70s, Yes you are correct. Eyvind built me a very trick KX250. Major frame modifications, awesome reed valve cylinder that was tricker than the factory ones Eyvind was doing for team Kawasaki. Hand built pipe. A custom built Thor swingarm. Machined KYB forks, modified KYB shocks with reservoirs. I remember lining up next to Mickey on the inside of him. His Montesa was no match for my KX. I ran it in as deep as you could possibly go.That bike handled great and was a pleasure to ride. Best of all, I still have it. Really great times racing in the 70's. A big thank you to Eyvind, Dad, and my girlfriend/mechanic Pat. Now my wife of almost 40 years. I couldn't have done it without you.
Great stuff Tony. You have got to post a picture of it!
Shredder
Fantasy
1194th
8/7/2020 1:46pm
Hey Pete and Nepa70s, Yes you are correct. Eyvind built me a very trick KX250. Major frame modifications, awesome reed valve cylinder that was tricker than...
I can't believe you still have that. Do you still have the highly modified 125 Honda with the epoxied cylinder that stayed at our house for a while? It was pretty clapped by then, blown out Boge shocks, mismatched plastic, etc, but we spent a day jumping it up onto our tennis court until we realized the tires were leaving rubber streaks on the court and my dad was going to freak. To this day, if I smell Wolf's Head grease it transports me to the garage across the street from your house.
Mugen racer
8/7/2020 4:25pm
Hey Shredder, Yes I still have the old Elsi. She's a little, maybe a lot tired. I'm hoping to restore her one day. I still have the trick cylinders Eyvind made for me. That bike was a rocket. Faster than the factory Honda's back then. Eyvind and I would do all kinds of testing prototype concepts back then. Paul and Jeff were the absolute best guys to go racing with. Lots of good times and laughs.
Mugen racer
8/7/2020 4:32pm
Kenny Adams rode a CZ then a Maico. He was from PA. He also was the first Amateur National champ in the open class. Went on to be a very successful winged sprint car champ. He was a cool dude.
nepa70s
8/7/2020 5:01pm
Ah, I'll have to dig my old stuff out and see if I can figure out who the NJ guy was ....
Mugen racer
8/7/2020 5:34pm
nepa70's, who from Jersey are you looking for? What year, class, and bike? Also who is Viking24? Edwin S. maybe ?
Shredder
Fantasy
1194th
8/7/2020 5:44pm
He might be thinking of Kenny Briggs, but he was a PA guy too. He was at Clifford a lot. 125 Expert champ in 78-79, kept his bars super low. Adams rode a Yamaha right before he quit in the early 80's. Terry Tucker was probably the foremost Yamaha NJ guy I can think of, but he was mostly a Sleepy and Etown guy. Your bar banging partner Edelstein rode a Yam for a while too, didn't he?
viking24
8/7/2020 6:47pm
I would agree with the Terry Tucker suggestion. He was honored this year at the D-6 hall of fame induction.

Hey Tony, it’s Dag. I normally don’t comment to often, but this thread has been a fun read and memorable
nepa70s
8/9/2020 6:39am Edited Date/Time 8/9/2020 7:52am
Here's a photo with the NJ guy I was thinking of , green sweatshirt in the background . I was in the open expert class, I'm pretty sure he ran a 125 also.This is Clifford '78

Post a reply to: Old School Tracks (USA) - Some gone and forgotten

The Latest