rawhide park

dolemite
Edited Date/Time 2/22/2016 7:55pm
since ive noticed theres alot of us old timers on this board have any of you ever raced at rawhide park in its hay day?one a 125pro race there in 1974 and amc didnt want to pay me cause i was under 18.my friend al rubin who owned al rubins kung foo studio who i was taking lessons from was also racing that day.he came by my truck to say good ride and then i told him they wont give me my 100percent pro payback money cause i was underage and didnt have my parents with me.he went had a talk with them while i waited at my truck with my hot cheerleader girlfriend and he came back with 120 smack aroos.the good friend passed away in 85 from cancer but sure was a good friend and teacher in kung foo.so how many of you guys did i smoke at rawhide park that year?the great white dolemite.
|
ninety3
3/3/2006 7:32pm
Before my time.

Lets see the SoCal tracks I've raced at are...
Indian Dunes
Saddleback
Saddleback Motorsports Park- special race, PU/Thor day.
Carlsbad
Escape Country
Perris
Glen Helen, can't remember what it was called before it was Glen Helen, but also raced there in 81, when it was called something else
OCIR
Ascot
Corona Raceway
DeAnza
Hungry Valley

I think that's about it.
dolemite
3/3/2006 7:39pm
hey ktm 93. did you see your name on the list of riders in posted on corona raceway?glenn helen use to be called orroyo cycle park.de anza cycle park was the only place i ever won all three motos on a 125 and two of the 3 motos on a 250.pro class of course.that fricken don grieve parked me on the last lap of the 250moto.moto on my brothers.dolemite
ninety3
3/3/2006 8:00pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 5:57pm
[quote="dolemite":a8ea2]hey ktm 93. did you see your name on the list of riders in posted on corona raceway?glenn helen use to be called orroyo cycle park.de anza cycle park was the only place i ever won all three motos on a 125 and two of the 3 motos on a 250.pro class of course.that fricken don grieve parked me on the last lap of the 250moto.moto on my brothers.dolemite[/quote:a8ea2]

Nope didn't see it Dol

Arroyo Cycle Park, yes that's it.
RussS
3/3/2006 10:07pm
Similar tracks KTM93

OCIR
LACR
Saddleback
Indian Dunes
Carlsbad
Escape Country
Ascot
Corona Raceway
DeAnza
El Toro
Sunrise
Rawhide
LA Colesium
Angel Stadium
Plus a few others I forget

The Shop

3/6/2006 10:15am Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 5:57pm
I use to race there, use to be AMC or maybe the CRC series?
Great track and got my first trophy there, which was really cool, because it was made from a Castrol oil quart can.

[quote:20182]so how many of you guys did i smoke at rawhide park that year?the great white dolemite.[/quote:20182]

Me for sure, as the beginer class didn't pay well " title="Laughing">
3/7/2006 5:17pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 5:57pm
[quote="KTM93":ec0ae]Before my time.

Lets see the SoCal tracks I've raced at are...
Indian Dunes
Saddleback
Saddleback Motorsports Park- special race, PU/Thor day.
Carlsbad
Escape Country
Perris
Glen Helen, can't remember what it was called before it was Glen Helen, but also raced there in 81, when it was called something else
OCIR
Ascot
Corona Raceway
DeAnza
Hungry Valley

I think that's about it.[/quote:ec0ae]

Arroyo cycle park...was the name of Glen Helen back in the day.
dolemite
3/18/2006 11:49am
speaking of rawhide park.i member staten and ron turner i think going at it until kenny zahrt put his bultaco up front, now rawhide was a real motocross track in its day.up hills rocks streams to cross and a long track with trees and water and lots of rough hi speed hills.never under 100 degrees on the weekends during the summer races.thats what kept the orange county cry babies out of the way cause it was so hot they could not last a hole moto without crying and going home.thats why they ruled saddleback cause the only place they would ride.the great white dolemite.
T-BOND
3/18/2006 1:50pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 5:58pm
[quote="dolemite":0ac15]hey ktm 93. did you see your name on the list of riders in posted on corona raceway?glenn helen use to be called orroyo cycle park.de anza cycle park was the only place i ever won all three motos on a 125 and two of the 3 motos on a 250.pro class of course.that fricken don grieve parked me on the last lap of the 250moto.moto on my brothers.dolemite[/quote:0ac15]
Anyone know where Don Griewe is? He used to work for me in the early eighties. Good rider, very hard on bikes.
T-BOND
3/18/2006 1:52pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 5:58pm
[quote="dolemite":13942]speaking of rawhide park.i member staten and ron turner i think going at it until kenny zahrt put his bultaco up front, now rawhide was a real motocross track in its day.up hills rocks streams to cross and a long track with trees and water and lots of rough hi speed hills.never under 100 degrees on the weekends during the summer races.thats what kept the orange county cry babies out of the way cause it was so hot they could not last a hole moto without crying and going home.thats why they ruled saddleback cause the only place they would ride.the great white dolemite.[/quote:13942]Thats funny!
motoman1
3/22/2006 11:58am
I loved that track. A lot of good memories made there. Pete Maly and I used to tear that place up. Good times.
Potts
7/26/2007 9:38pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 6:02pm
[quote="dolemite":1a62a]since ive noticed theres alot of us old timers on this board have any of you ever raced at rawhide park in its hay day?one a 125pro race there in 1974 and amc didnt want to pay me cause i was under 18.my friend al rubin who owned al rubins kung foo studio who i was taking lessons from was also racing that day.he came by my truck to say good ride and then i told him they wont give me my 100percent pro payback money cause i was underage and didnt have my parents with me.he went had a talk with them while i waited at my truck with my hot cheerleader girlfriend and he came back with 120 smack aroos.the good friend passed away in 85 from cancer but sure was a good friend and teacher in kung foo.so how many of you guys did i smoke at rawhide park that year?the great white dolemite.[/quote:1a62a]

I loved that track! I only raced it a few times and broke my foot (racing in the rain) there but what a great layout!
ibmorjamn
2/22/2016 7:55pm
I lived with in a mile or 2 gentlemen and rode there before it was a mx park.
I did see the Flyin Hawaiian race there so I am happy !
dwplanck4991
12/16/2016 9:24pm
Not me for sure dolemite cuz I was 250 but probably ran some open practice laps with you on my 74 elsinore. Never ran pro but won all my intermediate races there. F...ing loved that track. Had every challenge for its era (6 inch suspension). My racing buddy Andy Baines (open pro) had some classic tank slapping duels there with some of the names mentioned by others here. He won his share and of course that 100$ was spent at our favorite steak and beer stop after. By the way, there was plenty left for gas back then. Those were the days!!
dwplanck4991
12/16/2016 9:42pm

RussS, will date myself. You mentioned Escape Country. Only time I was ever there was, I believe, the first big time Pro event they ran. I say that because the track layout was only visible because of the orange storm fencing lining the track. You literally could not see the track surface due to the fresh green 12" of wild grass covering it. Needless to say it didn't stop Eierstadt, the Jones bros, Lackey and teammate John Desoto on their brand new prototype 490 Kaw's, Mosier, Destaphano et. al. from shredding it up.
dwplanck4991
12/16/2016 9:46pm
Anybody remember Snake River when Evil "jumped" or more specifically the five days of motocross he sponsored at that site leading into the Sunday jump?
dwplanck4991
12/16/2016 9:57pm
Remember the rubber band starting gate? After my first race there I hole shot that thing every time. Was so early once that it wrapped around my front wheel at launch. Don't know how it didn't unload me.
7/6/2020 5:21pm
ibmorjamn wrote:
I lived with in a mile or 2 gentlemen and rode there before it was a mx park. I did see the Flyin Hawaiian race there...
I lived with in a mile or 2 gentlemen and rode there before it was a mx park.
I did see the Flyin Hawaiian race there so I am happy !
I raced Rawhide Park a lot in 1975 and 1976 ... I remember watching the Flyin Hawaiian at Rawhide, he knew some friends of mine Lenny DeMagio who lived in Elsinore and Mike Lee of Murietta.

Lately, I have been thinking about driving out in the canyon to see if I could locate the general area if it isn't under homes that is?
What was the name of the road once you turned off of HWY74 and then another right to go down into the creek where the track was?
ibmorjamn
7/6/2020 5:56pm
It is Riverside st. But the track is long gone . 100’s of house’s there now. I sort of now of Mike Lee . DeMagio sounds familiar ?
7/7/2020 1:01pm Edited Date/Time 7/7/2020 1:03pm
ibmorjamn wrote:
It is Riverside st. But the track is long gone . 100’s of house’s there now. I sort of now of Mike Lee . DeMagio sounds...
It is Riverside st. But the track is long gone . 100’s of house’s there now. I sort of now of Mike Lee . DeMagio sounds familiar ?
That's it, Riverside street.
Yeah, I do know the track is gone, that's when I began racing Carlsbad and Saddleback.
I used Google Earth and zoomed into the area that I imagined it being at, and it does appear that homes have been built all the way down to the riverbed which was where various sections of the track passed through after the downhill after hogs back.

Yeah, Mike Lee's dad (Kenny) owned the Murietta Market on Washington Avenue. Mike and The Murietta Pig Farmer (On Any Sunday) John Riedy raced in the Lake Elsinore Grand Prix.
Lenny also hung out with Tim Hool of Murietta, Tim had completely crossed eyes but he was smokin' fast on his YZ125.
I'm not certain, but I think that Lenny still owns property out on Hwy 79S.
ibmorjamn
8/9/2020 11:55am
ibmorjamn wrote:
It is Riverside st. But the track is long gone . 100’s of house’s there now. I sort of now of Mike Lee . DeMagio sounds...
That's it, Riverside street. Yeah, I do know the track is gone, that's when I began racing Carlsbad and Saddleback. I used Google Earth and zoomed...
Yeah, I do know the track is gone, that's when I began racing Carlsbad and Saddleback.
I used Google Earth and zoomed into the area that I imagined it being at, and it does appear that homes have been built all the way down to the riverbed which was where various sections of the track passed through after the downhill after hogs back.

Yeah, Mike Lee's dad (Kenny) owned the Murietta Market on Washington Avenue. Mike and The Murietta Pig Farmer (On Any Sunday) John Riedy raced in the Lake Elsinore Grand Prix.
Lenny also hung out with Tim Hool of Murietta, Tim had completely crossed eyes but he was smokin' fast on his YZ125.
It’s a small world wubblegubble , did you go to EUHS ?
cmotodad
9/4/2020 12:17pm
One of my early races was at Rawhide. 1976 RM250 with the aluminum slides. Yes, it stuck on the up-downhill jump and looped out, Raced a few races there and always liked it.
5/3/2022 9:03am
ibmorjamn wrote:
That's it, Riverside street. Yeah, I do know the track is gone, that's when I began racing Carlsbad and Saddleback. I used Google Earth and zoomed...

ibmorjamn wrote:
It’s a small world wubblegubble , did you go to EUHS ?
I did go to EUHS, got kicked out in my freshman year.

Do you get out to many tracks presently?
ibmorjamn
5/9/2022 7:24pm
No , heck no. I quit Mx about 35 years ago. It was fun.

Post a reply to: rawhide park

The Latest