CR250 Ricky Carmichael 2001 MXoN replica build (New parts found !)

mxBryan
1/28/2016 1:55am
Hello guys.

The engine is finished now for 95% and got a buddy of mine have a photoshoot of it.

Also got the wheels and engine back into the frame, we're getting close to finished now !

Only left for the wheels to finish are conical bolts for the HRC front brake disc and the correct dunlop D756 front tyre which i was unable to find ! So there's a MX52 dunlop tyre on it for now.

wako426!
2/24/2016 6:41pm
Hey bro very nice job! new to this site your bike is why I just picked one up and working on my self 2000 wwi

mxBryan
3/12/2016 11:10am
wako426! wrote:
Hey bro very nice job! new to this site your bike is why I just picked one up and working on my self 2000 wwi[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/02/24/125305/s1200_IMG_20160130_115231123.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/02/24/125306/s1200_IMG_20160214_175134263.jpg[/img]
Hey bro very nice job! new to this site your bike is why I just picked one up and working on my self 2000 wwi

Thank you, appreciate it ! What are your plans on the CR250 ?
mxBryan
3/12/2016 11:41am
No big updates, just some parts that have arrived ! Sprocket, chain, OEM parts, nissin brake pads etc..
Got my hands on a HRC steel braided brake line.. If anyone has HRC parts for sale for 2000 or 2001 CR250 and want to get rid of it. Contact me.

Plan is on finishing this build on 9/11 and have a nice photoshoot of the build !
Why 9/11 ? In case of when you don't know the history of the bike i'm building, reffer to this thread ! I found the inspiration of building this bike there !
http://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/The-2001-MXDN-Team-USA-th…

The Shop

@lips395
3/12/2016 3:56pm
this build has come a long way really enjoyed reading over your build great job !
wako426!
3/22/2016 2:04pm
mxBryan wrote:
No big updates, just some parts that have arrived ! Sprocket, chain, OEM parts, nissin brake pads etc.. Got my hands on a HRC steel braided...
No big updates, just some parts that have arrived ! Sprocket, chain, OEM parts, nissin brake pads etc..
Got my hands on a HRC steel braided brake line.. If anyone has HRC parts for sale for 2000 or 2001 CR250 and want to get rid of it. Contact me.

Plan is on finishing this build on 9/11 and have a nice photoshoot of the build !
Why 9/11 ? In case of when you don't know the history of the bike i'm building, reffer to this thread ! I found the inspiration of building this bike there !
http://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/The-2001-MXDN-Team-USA-th…
Well way cool a9/11 tribute! Well as for mine total go through guy who owned bike before me factory rider Tom Morgan racing motor all titanium bolts way to much to say! So get all done and ride a nice 2 smoke haven't rode one in 15 yrs been 4 poking but here's where at as of now where you getting graphics from?

mxBryan
3/23/2016 1:55am
wako426! wrote:
Well way cool a9/11 tribute! Well as for mine total go through guy who owned bike before me factory rider Tom Morgan racing motor all titanium...
Well way cool a9/11 tribute! Well as for mine total go through guy who owned bike before me factory rider Tom Morgan racing motor all titanium bolts way to much to say! So get all done and ride a nice 2 smoke haven't rode one in 15 yrs been 4 poking but here's where at as of now where you getting graphics from?

Cool bro, keep us updated..
Good choice on getting back to the good old 2strokes ! Never ever comes a 4stroke in my garage lol !

My graphics come from ThrottleJockey, the ONLY authentic producer of the honda woody woodpecker decals.
Bough a set back in Novembre 2013, cool people do deal with and amazing quality stuff.
I'm ordering another set from them in some weeks.
wako426!
4/12/2016 7:30pm
Well going to Start putting back together all new bearings lower end tranny bearings to new top end done all lin kage gone through rebuilt brake calipers flush brakes carb rebuilt can't wait gonna put on dyno later on!

mxBryan
5/2/2016 12:26pm
Not much happened the past 2 months, but some major updates are on it's way.
ThrottleJockey is making my graphics i need for this build, i'll be picking them up during my vacation in California next week.
Also Phil Denton Engineering made me a HRC replica bar clamp, can't wait to have my hands on it. Probably one of the nicest parts on this build !

Been busy to on removing the paint on my stock pipe, as i'll be using the stock pipe for this build. Seems like the stock pipe is welded on the same spots like the HRC pipes. So with the paint stripped off, it will look pretty close to a factory pipe !
So i basically still need to order a new plastic kit, renthal bars, new pair of radiators, a bunch of OEM parts etc etc...

Further i got my axle block in the mail today from MX BONZ.

mxBryan
6/3/2016 1:30pm
So i'm back from 17 days vacation in the US (California etc..) picked up my graphics in Lake Elsinore at my buddy's place ! So thanks again Scott if you read this Laughing

Still waiting for the HRC bar mount, plastic kit, and a bunch of OEM parts !
Once i have the bar mount i can put the new renthal bar on it and all the other handlebar stuff.

Got some of the graphics sticked already !

Yes one of the forks is missing ! When installing the HRC replica fork screws, i noticed 2 threads in the fork lug were damaged so tomorrow's first job is going to the shop for repairing the threads !

It's all about the details !

When i got the plastic kit and the graphics on them, i will be a little bit caution with posting pics of the bike Laughing
Because once the plastics are on the bike it will start to have that "almost finish look" and i want to keep pictures like that for in september when the build is finished. I'm planning to arrange a photoshoot in a studio to unveil the build with top photography pictures !
mxBryan
6/9/2016 1:53pm
Received the HRC bar mount from Phil Denton Engineering.

To me this is a piece of art, for sure one of the nicest parts on my build !
Whatever you need, Stevie Denton can make it happen.
mxBryan
6/18/2016 11:36am
Been busy collecting parts the past few days !

Picked up my plastic kit and some OEM parts.

And a 260mm bracket for the brake caliper. And put everything together with new OEM parts !

Managed to find a HRC factory pipe ! Was over the moon when i saw it, so i didn't hesitate and bought it !
right pipe is the HRC pipe, left is stock OEM pipe. Basically the same pipe and welded on same locations, but welded on another method, and the HRC pipe is 344grams lighter than the stock pipe.

So i started today with removing the surface rust from the HRC pipe by bead blasting it, and then gave it a shot with WD-40 and scotch-brite ! Tomorrow another round of scotch-brite for finishing and then blow torch time..

So a little off topic now..
I was planning a Pastrana RM 125 2000 MXoN build when this build is finished.
But then i came across in the BAZAAR section some NOS DSP carbon parts i would need for that build, so bought it right away ! Thanks again Rob (worksmx).

mxBryan
6/25/2016 1:27pm Edited Date/Time 6/25/2016 1:31pm
Got the HRC pipe finished, left the dents in it to give the pipe some character.
Still searching for a HRC kevlar silencer to combine with the pipe !

benno387
6/28/2016 4:22pm
Hey mate nice build
I have a 2007 cr250 with barley any hours on it and want to do something similar
Just wondering where you got the hrc parts from cheers
mingham97
6/29/2016 3:45am
This is an unbelievable build...
Well done mate
Please let me know how the old school suspension holds up compared to todays stuff..
What did you get done in the suspension department??
mxBryan
6/29/2016 9:19am
mingham97 wrote:
This is an unbelievable build... Well done mate Please let me know how the old school suspension holds up compared to todays stuff.. What did you...
This is an unbelievable build...
Well done mate
Please let me know how the old school suspension holds up compared to todays stuff..
What did you get done in the suspension department??
Thanks buddy !

The suspension is just stock showa. Got the upper tubes and fork lugs anodised and the lower tubes are Ti-nitrate coated.
Inside is just stock aswell.

I've driven modern bikes with modern suspension a couple times (stock airforks on 2015 husqvarna, Öhlins forks on a CRF450 2015 and some other bikes with modern oil/spring suspension) and all i can say is that the modern stuff is better in riding and better adjustable than the older suspensions !
But i enjoy riding older bikes more than modern bikes !
mxBryan
6/29/2016 11:49pm
Kx125rider wrote:
Just so you know, i think your axle blocks are backwards.
Haha, i always think that to but when looking at Carmichael's bike, it's mounted "backwards" to.

i think the flat side on this style axle blocks is meant for when you need the normal offset like OEM axle blocks.
mxBryan
7/15/2016 2:58am
Well i decided to give you all a little preview of how the bikes is right now !

chuckdavies
7/15/2016 3:57am
Looking awesome dude, nice job!!

I wouldn't take too many setup details off that pic, i read/heard somewhere that the bike in that photoshoot wasn't even a carmichael bike! I think it was a tortelli bike with a few bits and pieces thrown on for the Photoshoot Smile
mxBryan
7/19/2016 3:19am
Looking awesome dude, nice job!! I wouldn't take too many setup details off that pic, i read/heard somewhere that the bike in that photoshoot wasn't even...

I wouldn't take too many setup details off that pic, i read/heard somewhere that the bike in that photoshoot wasn't even a carmichael bike! I think it was a tortelli bike with a few bits and pieces thrown on for the Photoshoot Smile
Thanks Chuck !

Yea, i have also read that the bike was just a Tortelli bike !
But i'm wondering if Ricky was really going to race that bike shown in the photoshoot ?
Or was this 2001 bike just build for the photoshoot ? If so.. what bike was he going to race then ?? Maybe a 02 RC250 ??

Sooo much questions and can't find the answers.. Tongue
Spagina767
7/19/2016 3:07pm
Looking awesome dude, nice job!! I wouldn't take too many setup details off that pic, i read/heard somewhere that the bike in that photoshoot wasn't even...

mxBryan wrote:
Thanks Chuck ! Yea, i have also read that the bike was just a Tortelli bike ! But i'm wondering if Ricky was really going to...
Thanks Chuck !

Yea, i have also read that the bike was just a Tortelli bike !
But i'm wondering if Ricky was really going to race that bike shown in the photoshoot ?
Or was this 2001 bike just build for the photoshoot ? If so.. what bike was he going to race then ?? Maybe a 02 RC250 ??

Sooo much questions and can't find the answers.. Tongue
He was going to race a 2002 RC.

Chad Watts is building that bike right now as well.
7/19/2016 5:15pm Edited Date/Time 7/19/2016 5:18pm
This build is sweet! It looks perfect. I just got my 01 all done up nice today, still waiting on fork guards, seat cover, new back tire, new brakes lines and levers.. Going for a more modern look. These 01's rip! I'm scared to get her dirty now it's taken me a while getting her to where she's at. Being only 16, every dollar I have goes into the bike haha.

7/20/2016 2:13am
How did you get that pipe that clean? And how did you get the colors around the weld back?
mxBryan
7/24/2016 2:24am
EnvyMedia wrote:
How did you get that pipe that clean? And how did you get the colors around the weld back?
Bead blast and finish with scotch-brite, use WD40 with the scotch-brite as lubrication !
With a blow torch you can get the colors of the welds back.
mxBryan
7/29/2016 3:38pm
Got some of the final pieces in today, new OEM kickstarter, rubber covers for the throttle and front brake and the rear spring guard.

Got the HRC brake hose fitted and a new OEM throttle cable i had laying around for spares. Also i'm still waiting for the HRC clutch i bought from another Vital member.

Finally i found a Pro Circuit work stand for sale in Europe (Netherlands) and i have the panel decals being made by a buddy of mine !

So i'm still missing 2 major parts for this build to have it 100% finished. I need a HRC front brake disc cover and a HRC kevlar silencer for RC250 model.
Any help, tips or a way that leads to it is highly appreciated !

HRC kevlar silencer used on RC250 from 96 until 2001 ??

Front brake disc cover 260mm.

7/29/2016 6:16pm
Bike turned out great, awesome job. Good luck finding those parts.

Post a reply to: CR250 Ricky Carmichael 2001 MXoN replica build (New parts found !)

The Latest