2015 YZ250F PROBLEMS!

smoothies862
Fantasy
745th
5/27/2015 6:44pm
agree. thats a joke yamaha. so if you order a tps,its a new updated one with a new part #?
mxtech1
5/28/2015 8:21am
Problems like these are only going to become more frequent. It's sad, but this is the price owners pay riding bikes with fuel injection. Bikes are just getting more complex, electrically. The day is quickly approaching when the average guy will no longer be able to diagnose and work on their own bike due to all of the electronic components.

This is no different than a modern day car compared to an older car with a carburated small block. Times are changing and the manufacturers and dealerships will be lining their pockets from service parts and labor.
FGR01
Fantasy
1334th
5/28/2015 9:56am
mxtech1 wrote:
Problems like these are only going to become more frequent. It's sad, but this is the price owners pay riding bikes with fuel injection. Bikes are...
Problems like these are only going to become more frequent. It's sad, but this is the price owners pay riding bikes with fuel injection. Bikes are just getting more complex, electrically. The day is quickly approaching when the average guy will no longer be able to diagnose and work on their own bike due to all of the electronic components.

This is no different than a modern day car compared to an older car with a carburated small block. Times are changing and the manufacturers and dealerships will be lining their pockets from service parts and labor.
Exactly. I've said it before, 99% of dirt bike owners would be better off with a carb. EFI has brought no advantages to the average rider and only a bunch of hassles with tuning and troubleshooting. It has made the bikes more complicated and more expensive with no real gain to the average rider.

As for the TP sensor on these YZF250's, don't all EFI bike basically use the same TP sensor? Matter of fact, the same sensor is used on lots of EFI street bikes and even cars. Seems the problem would not be unique tot he YZ250F.

slackinoff
5/28/2015 12:49pm
I really dont need a 4 stroke. I am seriously considering my selling mh 14 yz250f. Not cuz of the "issues"but complexity. Its a bad ass bike but i can shred just as fun on a 125

The Shop

mark911
5/29/2015 8:08am
If all else fails, I'd check the fuel pump inlet all the way to the injector to make sure there's no obstruction. There has to be a screen (filter) somewhere in that path and sometimes they can cause problems. Do an extended flow test simulating several laps in time while torqueing the bike around on the stand to simulate bumps, jumps, etc (you'll need to supply power to the pump). Check that dumb tank vent line as well, they can get pinched very easily, even while riding if you get way too far over the front seat.

If you feel its still electrical and you've changed everything out, try adding a handmade grounding harness between ALL the major electrical/electronic components. Depending on chassis grounds can sometimes lead to issues. If there's no external "metal" or grd tab on the component, splice it into the designated grd wire itself.

Longshots, but desperate times calls for desperate measures!
m121c
5/29/2015 8:43pm
Unfortunately lemon laws in Iowa are horrible... don't cover any motorcycle. Yamaha - 1 Me - 0

Yamaha is of no help at all. Very dissatisfied with their poor customer care and company ethics/product backing.

Their rep for our area continually will not answer my calls, and will not return my missed calls or voicemails. When I call Yamaha I get put on hold for 30+ minutes just to be told to "Leave a message and info and we will get back to you". Sometimes not even that the line just hangs up.

After not hearing anything all week from Yamaha or the rep about my bike I call them today. A 40 minute phone call and about 2 minutes was actually conversation. The person I talked to earlier this week was the one I was trying to talk to, They were "unavailable and told me to take a message, we need to make a call to RT about your bike issues one more time to confirm some things, we will call you within the next 2 hours before we close". It's 6 hours later and nothing... sadly I expected that.

So my bike is currently sitting in my garage, will not start, no support or contact from Yamaha, and I will be missing another weekend of being on my bike. Looks like if I want this thing fixed anytime soon I'm gonna have to invest my own money into finding out Yamaha's mistake and fixing it.

I love my bike (when it runs) but Yamaha is frustrating me to no end. Anyone else struggling with them?
mark911
5/29/2015 10:03pm
m121c wrote:
Unfortunately lemon laws in Iowa are horrible... don't cover any motorcycle. Yamaha - 1 Me - 0 Yamaha is of no help at all. Very dissatisfied...
Unfortunately lemon laws in Iowa are horrible... don't cover any motorcycle. Yamaha - 1 Me - 0

Yamaha is of no help at all. Very dissatisfied with their poor customer care and company ethics/product backing.

Their rep for our area continually will not answer my calls, and will not return my missed calls or voicemails. When I call Yamaha I get put on hold for 30+ minutes just to be told to "Leave a message and info and we will get back to you". Sometimes not even that the line just hangs up.

After not hearing anything all week from Yamaha or the rep about my bike I call them today. A 40 minute phone call and about 2 minutes was actually conversation. The person I talked to earlier this week was the one I was trying to talk to, They were "unavailable and told me to take a message, we need to make a call to RT about your bike issues one more time to confirm some things, we will call you within the next 2 hours before we close". It's 6 hours later and nothing... sadly I expected that.

So my bike is currently sitting in my garage, will not start, no support or contact from Yamaha, and I will be missing another weekend of being on my bike. Looks like if I want this thing fixed anytime soon I'm gonna have to invest my own money into finding out Yamaha's mistake and fixing it.

I love my bike (when it runs) but Yamaha is frustrating me to no end. Anyone else struggling with them?
I happen to own a 2015 YZ250f and I just can't believe it can be that complicated. I work with much more sophisticated engine management systems everyday and there's always a solution. Every component has a spec and can be checked independently as well as dynamically using the diagnostic equipment from your dealer. Based on the thread, it looks like you've changed just about every component out already, so it's sounds like it might be something really unusual. I've seen my share of weird stuff but these are a few we check every time we get something that doesn't make sense.

Assuming everything else checks out:

Crankshaft position sensor. The thing about the CPS is that it might be generating a signal and look good based on resistance, but if the timing is off both the FI and ignition will be all screwed up. The manual doesn't show exactly how the sensor is triggered but typically it's either a small magnet on the flywheel/rotor or a series of teeth around the flywheel with a couple of teeth missing. When the magnet (or missing teeth) pass the sensor the sensor produces a pulse telling the ignition and FI where the piston is relative to TDC. For example, maybe the rotor key sheared off and the flywheel moved? You'd think the dealer would have seen a problem when checking ignition timing but you never know. Sometimes the timing teeth is simply a ring pressed over the flywheel and can come loose and spin when hot. Maybe the gap between the sensor and flywheel is out of spec? If it's magnet based, maybe the magnet got "demagnetized" just enough to prevent a clean pulse.

Injector. On multi-cylinder engines this is a bit easier to diagnose. However, it wouldn't hurt to take your injector to a local FI specialty shop and have them test it. We back flush them and run a series of flow/volume tests.

Other weird stuff, maybe you have a tight valve or your decompression mechanism is stuck or otherwise holding a valve open? A stuck cam chain tensioner can change valve timing a bit as well. Check your cam timing after you verify that the flywheel is properly keyed to the crank, maybe a cam to cam gear issue?

Have the dealer "reflash" your ECU.

Mark.

sgrimmxdad
Fantasy
2109th
5/31/2015 6:36am
UPDATE:
Got the call from the dealer late Friday afternoon to come try it. They went and rode a trail with my son for 20+ mins! Bike is running PERFECT! Brought it home put about 20 mins, usual time to get it to act up, and is still running great! Carried it to the track yesterday and bike is SOLID! Really hoping this is the problem!

Here is my quarrel with Yamaha. IMO, they must know of this problem. I have spent thousands of dollars in sensors, lost count of labor bills, and hundreds in fuel hauling this bike around.

The shop that repaired it really hated to give me the bill, I didn't buy the bike from them. It was $500 with the part, part was sold at cost.

In total I feel pretty sure I have $2000-$3000 in chasing a problem I feel they knew about.... That is BS IMO....

I have already spoken for a new 16 for my son, I plan to document with video any and every issue we may have. I hope we get a good next time, we love the bikes.....
Dragoo168
5/31/2015 7:55am
That's great news! Hopefully there will be no more issues with that bike, LOL! In my opinion, I would gather every receipt, and calculate every minute of labor, per book rate, to be accurate, including diagnosing, (any shop can help you with that), and write a short , but complete affidavit, and put it in a file. You may want to move past this now, but should a case arise where someone's life is taken due to the negligence of the company, it could help somebody very much. Think of how many walls you hit trying to get a TPS, and then imagine what it might be like for someone trying to deal with losing a loved one over something like this. I read about the kid that broke his leg, and unfortunately, that's only one of many over the years of various parts issues. A lot of people don't hear about it because they don't read forums, and unless it's in tha mags, or dealerships, via recalls or warranty repairs, you're SOL! It's not right, and while I've seen it over something as simple as the plastic rotor in an older throttle assy, the technology of bikes today is getting to whrere your little, home digital meter isn't going to always help you figure things out. Documentation can go a long way, and the lack of that is what often times let's these companies get away with how they handle things. The #1 thing to remember, is that the Japanese franchise, aside from engineering, R&D, and sales, Does not support the American side of the Brand like you think they would. Yamaha didn't make that TPS, just like Toyota didn't make those airbags,..Yamaha wouldn't want to have to pay the difference of having the part updated, and addressing as needed, like they did, or having to issue a recall, and warranty repair every, single unit sold with the defective part. They went the cheap route after figuring out the problem and making the vendor fix it. Anyway, I know it sounds like more work, but it could help a fellow enthusiast somewhere down the road, or become a dusty old file you throw away some day, but I would put it together over this if it was me. Good luck!
Joko
Fantasy
239th
5/31/2015 8:39am
sgrimmxdad wrote:
UPDATE: Got the call from the dealer late Friday afternoon to come try it. They went and rode a trail with my son for 20+ mins...
UPDATE:
Got the call from the dealer late Friday afternoon to come try it. They went and rode a trail with my son for 20+ mins! Bike is running PERFECT! Brought it home put about 20 mins, usual time to get it to act up, and is still running great! Carried it to the track yesterday and bike is SOLID! Really hoping this is the problem!

Here is my quarrel with Yamaha. IMO, they must know of this problem. I have spent thousands of dollars in sensors, lost count of labor bills, and hundreds in fuel hauling this bike around.

The shop that repaired it really hated to give me the bill, I didn't buy the bike from them. It was $500 with the part, part was sold at cost.

In total I feel pretty sure I have $2000-$3000 in chasing a problem I feel they knew about.... That is BS IMO....

I have already spoken for a new 16 for my son, I plan to document with video any and every issue we may have. I hope we get a good next time, we love the bikes.....
Sgrimmx,
To confirm, only a new TPS (Throttle Position Sensor?) was installed that corrected the problem? Do you know the part #? Can anyone swap it out, or is something else involved (calibration) that the shop had to do? Does it affect only 2015, or 2014 too? Thanks
sgrimmxdad
Fantasy
2109th
5/31/2015 1:36pm
Dragoo168 wrote:
That's great news! Hopefully there will be no more issues with that bike, LOL! In my opinion, I would gather every receipt, and calculate every minute...
That's great news! Hopefully there will be no more issues with that bike, LOL! In my opinion, I would gather every receipt, and calculate every minute of labor, per book rate, to be accurate, including diagnosing, (any shop can help you with that), and write a short , but complete affidavit, and put it in a file. You may want to move past this now, but should a case arise where someone's life is taken due to the negligence of the company, it could help somebody very much. Think of how many walls you hit trying to get a TPS, and then imagine what it might be like for someone trying to deal with losing a loved one over something like this. I read about the kid that broke his leg, and unfortunately, that's only one of many over the years of various parts issues. A lot of people don't hear about it because they don't read forums, and unless it's in tha mags, or dealerships, via recalls or warranty repairs, you're SOL! It's not right, and while I've seen it over something as simple as the plastic rotor in an older throttle assy, the technology of bikes today is getting to whrere your little, home digital meter isn't going to always help you figure things out. Documentation can go a long way, and the lack of that is what often times let's these companies get away with how they handle things. The #1 thing to remember, is that the Japanese franchise, aside from engineering, R&D, and sales, Does not support the American side of the Brand like you think they would. Yamaha didn't make that TPS, just like Toyota didn't make those airbags,..Yamaha wouldn't want to have to pay the difference of having the part updated, and addressing as needed, like they did, or having to issue a recall, and warranty repair every, single unit sold with the defective part. They went the cheap route after figuring out the problem and making the vendor fix it. Anyway, I know it sounds like more work, but it could help a fellow enthusiast somewhere down the road, or become a dusty old file you throw away some day, but I would put it together over this if it was me. Good luck!
I plan to do exactly that Sir! Thanks for the input, I am just as concerned about others as I am my own kid to be honest!
sgrimmxdad
Fantasy
2109th
5/31/2015 1:38pm
Dragoo168 wrote:
That's great news! Hopefully there will be no more issues with that bike, LOL! In my opinion, I would gather every receipt, and calculate every minute...
sgrimmxdad wrote:
I plan to do exactly that Sir! Thanks for the input, I am just as concerned about others as I am my own kid to be...
I plan to do exactly that Sir! Thanks for the input, I am just as concerned about others as I am my own kid to be honest!
It was swapped out for what I was told one of the LAST original sensors around. They have ordered the NEW Sensor with the new part number for me. Supposed to be here in about a week. Yes I paid for this and will have to pay for the NEW NEW one...
Chucky827
5/31/2015 9:04pm Edited Date/Time 5/31/2015 9:20pm
I'm having the EXACT same issues with my 15 450, started at 45 hrs. changed the stator and air pressure sensor, both seemed to work for a short period. Motor is scorching hot after 1/2 lap of practice.
Chucky
m121c
5/31/2015 10:33pm
sgrimmxdad, glad you got it figured out (Hopefully!).

What's weird is I asked about the TPS after I saw what you said... Yamaha denied it saying there isn't one. The dealership said there was no bulletin message telling of a new TPS or recall on them either as of a few days ago. Although mine hasn't shown any symptoms like yours, it's obviously an issue if they issued a new one and I definitely want the new one.

I don't know.. the lack of communication and concern from Yamaha is really shady. The fact JGR and Star Yamaha DIDN'T wash there bikes all weekend long this past weekend, says to me there is an obvious issue that they are keeping quiet about.

Dealer has my bike this week is trying to find the issue, I will update if I find any answers.
sgrimmxdad
Fantasy
2109th
6/1/2015 6:27am
1SL-85885-01-00 is the NEW #
replaces part #
1SL-85885-00-00 is the one that came on the bike!
Canerat
6/1/2015 7:08am Edited Date/Time 6/1/2015 7:11am
Pawpaw above mentioned the stator.

We have had endless shit until we replaced both the stator and flywheel and we made up custom bolts to hold the stator in place. (Side note - both the 250 and 450 run the same stator)

On one occasion we diagnosed that the flywheel was rubbing on the three bolts that hold the stator on. What happened was the bolts got so hot due to friction that the loctite broke down. The direction that the flywheel spins slowly unscrewed the bolts and at the same time ground the bolts shorter and shorter until the stator came lose. In otherwords the torque bolt heads were ground away until the stator was just floating on the headless bolts until they were ground away enough (and short enough) forr the stator to come lose and rotate with the flywheel ripping the two wires.

Let us know once you have diagnosed your problem.

Thanks and good luck
Superdave19
6/1/2015 8:53am
..Dang. I was really considering getting a new/slightly used 15' 450.

Second guessing now big time.
mxb2
6/1/2015 9:05am
..Dang. I was really considering getting a new/slightly used 15' 450.

Second guessing now big time.
i haveny heard any yzf 450 problems, 14 or 15.
nytsmaC
6/1/2015 9:34am
sgrimmxdad wrote:
UPDATE: Got the call from the dealer late Friday afternoon to come try it. They went and rode a trail with my son for 20+ mins...
UPDATE:

After all of these problems and poor treatment from Yamaha, I hope the new 16 that you've spoken for is a different color.
sgrimmxdad
Fantasy
2109th
6/1/2015 9:49am
sgrimmxdad wrote:
UPDATE:

nytsmaC wrote:
After all of these problems and poor treatment from Yamaha, I hope the new 16 that you've spoken for is a different color.
LOL, no. I know it sounds completely crazy...

I simply do not want to deal with air forks.

It's still the best 250f out there IMO... I know a kid that is on his way to the ranch that has tons of hours on his and has had zero issues. I got a bad one. I understand it happens. I just wish Yamaha was more forth coming about the problem. To many people chasing a problem they know exist!
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1084th
6/1/2015 10:07am
sgrimmxdad wrote:
UPDATE:

nytsmaC wrote:
sgrimmxdad wrote:
LOL, no. I know it sounds completely crazy... I simply do not want to deal with air forks. It's still the best 250f out there IMO...

It's still the best 250f out there IMO... I know a kid that is on his way to the ranch that has tons of hours on his and has had zero issues. I got a bad one. I understand it happens. I just wish Yamaha was more forth coming about the problem. To many people chasing a problem they know exist!
KTM has spring forks in the US for 2016....
mxb2
6/1/2015 10:50am
nytsmaC wrote:
sgrimmxdad wrote:
LOL, no. I know it sounds completely crazy... I simply do not want to deal with air forks. It's still the best 250f out there IMO...

KTM has spring forks in the US for 2016....
x2, guess you didnt learn the first time. lol
Flatliner
6/1/2015 2:26pm
Star didn't pressure wash at Lakewood. Has to be something to it.
Sixeightone
6/1/2015 2:52pm
Bummer Yamaha didn't do anything. Ktm would have been all over that warranty! But you did the right thing, you gave them a chance to resolve the issue even though it was on your dime. Your kind of people are far and few between. But you saved people a lot of time and money trying to Diagnose the problem! I don't even have a Yamaha and I want to say thank you to being a helpful consumer! As much hassle and money as it was, at least you know what was wrong and you're happy with the bike! We need more people like you!
6/1/2015 4:23pm
sgrimmxdad wrote:
UPDATE:

Joko wrote:
Sgrimmx, To confirm, only a new TPS (Throttle Position Sensor?) was installed that corrected the problem? Do you know the part #? Can anyone swap it...
Sgrimmx,
To confirm, only a new TPS (Throttle Position Sensor?) was installed that corrected the problem? Do you know the part #? Can anyone swap it out, or is something else involved (calibration) that the shop had to do? Does it affect only 2015, or 2014 too? Thanks
That was my question also.

My 2014 YZ250F has not had issues (changed shift shaft stopper & impeller for the new updated parts), but engine is not cutting out.

Should the TPS sensor be replaced anyway? What do you all think? $129 will not break the bank for a peace of mind.

sgrimmxdad, sorry for all your trouble - truly hope for you it is fixed now once and for all.
Superdave19
6/1/2015 5:11pm
Any of you 14-15' YZ owners power wash your scoots??- Probs?
Chucky827
6/1/2015 5:43pm
mxb2 wrote:
See my post 2015 450 same issues and I don't pressure wash just hose end nozzle.
Chucky
slackinoff
6/1/2015 6:51pm
My bike never stays dirty and I probably use a power washer 50% of the time. I am careful with it. But afterwards I always spray the electrics area, seals, and fork legs with silicone spray version wd40. Then wipe the rotors with alcohol. I think I am going to switch to corrosionX in a spray bottle. It supposedly has less petroleum base and is easier on the plastics and rubber. (even though the silicone version wd40 says its safe for plastic and rubber)

2014 yz250f, no issues. 26hours
mxb2
6/1/2015 7:57pm
mxb2 wrote:
Chucky827 wrote:
See my post 2015 450 same issues and I don't pressure wash just hose end nozzle.
Chucky
Thanks, good info.
mxrose3
Fantasy
853rd
6/2/2015 2:20pm
The 14' and 15' YZ250F and YZ450F all share the same TPS sensor part number.

I'm assuming the old sensor just isn't sealed well enough to keep moisture out of it? Anybody have a picture of the two side by side?

Post a reply to: 2015 YZ250F PROBLEMS!

The Latest