Fork cartridge - move holes

Tenacious P
Edited Date/Time 10/16/2017 6:46am
Hey guys, rebuilding the forks on my '96 CR250R. I have two of these bikes so I decided to tear both sets down. One set has a gold valve upgrade on compression and the cartridge valving is also different. One big thing I noticed is that one pair has the top cartridge rod holes filled and re-drilled much lower on the rod (these were the gold valve forks). I believe the other set is stock. What does this accomplish? I know stock forks were said to be super stiff so maybe to soften them up? Also I'm #220 and the guy I bought the gold valve bike from was around 160. Which rods should I use? I ride track exclusively (Milestone, Perris, Elsinore, etc.)

|
omalley
10/16/2017 6:45am
I did some checking on Race Tech’s site. I couldn’t see anything in their gold valve instructions sbout drilling or moving holes. That said, I think the gold valve they sell now might be different/updated from the one that would’ve been installed in 96.

If you go to Race Tech’s site, you can enter all your bike info and get a bunch of info about spring rates, products offered, instructions etc.

It’s true those weren’t great forks, but I changed springs, oil level and clickers and got mine working pretty good back then.

Post a reply to: Fork cartridge - move holes

The Latest