'00 PC'01 PC/KX125 Carmichael Build

Kyle220
1/2/2018 12:21am Edited Date/Time 12/8/2018 4:19am
It's been a while since I've added to my post on my 2000 Spitfire build which is currently buried in the Forum, last time I checked it's currently on page 6. Besides grips and a throttle cable the bike is complete and I'd like to thank everyone involved who helped me source parts including my dad who was hands on with the project and also all of you guys who followed the build and had good things to say and share along the way.
Moving on... With the amount of parts I've accumulated from the first build i have enough to build another one so on new year's Eve I picked up a 2001 KX125 in pieces for $100, EVERYTHING but the motor and rear shock! I've been brainstorming build ideas with different people on a kx125 Facebook page and I definitely wanted to do the '01 Splitfire build, POSSIBLY Stewarts 01 amateur PC bike which I was originally going to do with my 2000 KX. Then someone fired this idea at me and I knew it was the one to go with because I've never seen anybody build one and I think a lot of people have forgotten about the time Ricky Carmichael won his 2001 250 National Championship early and raced the 125 class to get the all-time 125 win record. So here we go again with another PC build that I said I'd never do again because of how big of a pain in the ass they are, hopefully it's easier this time around!!Wink
Also for reference here's the article on Carmichael racing the 125 and a link on the 2000 Splitfire build.
https://www.motorsport.com/ama/news/carmichael-crowned-champion/
http://m.vitalmx.com/forums/Bike-Builds,46/00-Splitfire-PC-KX125,1320370
|
Kyle220
1/2/2018 12:48am Edited Date/Time 1/2/2018 12:49am

Kyle220
1/2/2018 12:54am Edited Date/Time 1/2/2018 12:55am
Craigslist is a beautiful thing sometimesSmile I picked it up in Cleveland for $100 and I didn't get shot or robbedWink

chuckdavies
1/2/2018 7:25am
Cool project, i've always loved the 2001 bike but been put off as it's just a bit too new for me at this stage, so stuck with 90-98 so they're eligible for racing in the Super evo class here in the UK. But yeah the 01 is one of the best looking Pro Circuit bikes ever.

Just wondered why you decided to do an RC replica though, it'd be much easier to do a rep of a Mike Brown bike or something as there were a lot more stock parts on the other team riders' bikes. RC's 01 was pretty much a full factory bike compared to the others. Or will you just be going for a replica with mostly stock parts with add on pc/dsp bits? Either way i'm excited to see it progress Smile

The Shop

Kyle220
1/2/2018 1:57pm Edited Date/Time 1/2/2018 2:10pm
Cool project, i've always loved the 2001 bike but been put off as it's just a bit too new for me at this stage, so stuck...
Cool project, i've always loved the 2001 bike but been put off as it's just a bit too new for me at this stage, so stuck with 90-98 so they're eligible for racing in the Super evo class here in the UK. But yeah the 01 is one of the best looking Pro Circuit bikes ever.

Just wondered why you decided to do an RC replica though, it'd be much easier to do a rep of a Mike Brown bike or something as there were a lot more stock parts on the other team riders' bikes. RC's 01 was pretty much a full factory bike compared to the others. Or will you just be going for a replica with mostly stock parts with add on pc/dsp bits? Either way i'm excited to see it progress Smile
I'm pretty much building the same bike as my first one which I'd say is way more than just a few bolt ons and graphics. It seems like RCs 125 for that race was a full PC bike with the exception of his works KYB suspension. But to answer your question the only difference between this build and my 2000 is I'll most likely just keep the stock suspension on it unless I come across a deal on kit stuff. My 2000 Build has carbon parts I hand made, stuff I machined, a full top end from an actual Splitfire bike with a team issued piston and Kitted suspension, but I bought all of that when I didn't have a house payment or any real bills to pay at the time lol. But yes this will most likely be more of "stocker" build than my previous build.
1/2/2018 9:32pm
If you need a source for those big number 4 stickers I could do it. I have a vinyl cutter and could replicate those rather easily. If it will just be a display bike it will be super easy, otherwise I might have to find some thicker vinyl.
Kyle220
1/2/2018 11:02pm
If you need a source for those big number 4 stickers I could do it. I have a vinyl cutter and could replicate those rather easily...
If you need a source for those big number 4 stickers I could do it. I have a vinyl cutter and could replicate those rather easily. If it will just be a display bike it will be super easy, otherwise I might have to find some thicker vinyl.
Ok thanks man, it will be a little while until I get to that point but I will keep you in mind, much appreciated!!
chuckdavies
1/3/2018 1:42am
Kyle220 wrote:
I'm pretty much building the same bike as my first one which I'd say is way more than just a few bolt ons and graphics. It...
I'm pretty much building the same bike as my first one which I'd say is way more than just a few bolt ons and graphics. It seems like RCs 125 for that race was a full PC bike with the exception of his works KYB suspension. But to answer your question the only difference between this build and my 2000 is I'll most likely just keep the stock suspension on it unless I come across a deal on kit stuff. My 2000 Build has carbon parts I hand made, stuff I machined, a full top end from an actual Splitfire bike with a team issued piston and Kitted suspension, but I bought all of that when I didn't have a house payment or any real bills to pay at the time lol. But yes this will most likely be more of "stocker" build than my previous build.
Don't get me wrong, i wasn't digging on your 2000 bike at all (it came out awesome) and i wasn't saying it was stock - i was just asking if your 01 build was going to be more stock, or would it have the PC Works Kit KYB forks/shock etc.
Compared to the setup that most of the team used, RC had the 48mm Works KYB forks, KHI Clamps, KHI Caliper bracket, Works Nissin caliper, KHI Swingarm, KHI Chain guide, Dual adjuster Works KYB Shock, KHI Pull rods etc etc. Quite a bit different to the other 01 team riders hence my question... Smile
Kyle220
1/3/2018 1:58am
Kyle220 wrote:
I'm pretty much building the same bike as my first one which I'd say is way more than just a few bolt ons and graphics. It...
Don't get me wrong, i wasn't digging on your 2000 bike at all (it came out awesome) and i wasn't saying it was stock - i...
Don't get me wrong, i wasn't digging on your 2000 bike at all (it came out awesome) and i wasn't saying it was stock - i was just asking if your 01 build was going to be more stock, or would it have the PC Works Kit KYB forks/shock etc.
Compared to the setup that most of the team used, RC had the 48mm Works KYB forks, KHI Clamps, KHI Caliper bracket, Works Nissin caliper, KHI Swingarm, KHI Chain guide, Dual adjuster Works KYB Shock, KHI Pull rods etc etc. Quite a bit different to the other 01 team riders hence my question... Smile
I didn't take it the wrong way I understand what you're saying,. I wish this would post emojis so we won't misunderstand each other haha. But all good.
1/3/2018 12:25pm
If you need a source for those big number 4 stickers I could do it. I have a vinyl cutter and could replicate those rather easily...
Kyle220 wrote:
Ok thanks man, it will be a little while until I get to that point but I will keep you in mind, much appreciated!!
Cool man. Ill watch the thread and look out for a message.
Kyle220
1/3/2018 11:42pm
Kyle220 wrote:
Don't get me wrong, i wasn't digging on your 2000 bike at all (it came out awesome) and i wasn't saying it was stock - i...
Man, the more I look at the picture his was quite a bit different from the rest of the team bike, lots of KHI stuff. thanks for pointing that out, I stand corrected! Haha yeah this one will be pretty stock compared to hisWink
chuckdavies
1/4/2018 7:06am
Kyle220 wrote:
Man, the more I look at the picture his was quite a bit different from the rest of the team bike, lots of KHI stuff. thanks...
Man, the more I look at the picture his was quite a bit different from the rest of the team bike, lots of KHI stuff. thanks for pointing that out, I stand corrected! Haha yeah this one will be pretty stock compared to hisWink
Haha yeah it was an awesome bike, no probs!

I'm building a Carmichael '98 outdoor KX125 bike, and it was the same deal that year also. All team riders on the same bike with PC parts, PC KYB shock, PC KYB Works Kit forks, Emig clamps, stock clutch perch, stock swingarm, stock caliper etc. RC's outdoor bike had KHI clamps, 48mm Works KYB Forks, Works KYB Dual adjuster shock, KHI pull rods, KHI Swingarm, Works Nissin Front caliper, KHI clutch perch etc etc.

I'm already 4 years into parts searching, and have quite a few of the rare bits, but i'm a long way off. It's a seriously long term build but it's tricky finding the exact parts, and when they do pop up they're expensive.
Kyle220
1/4/2018 11:56pm

Was able to save this Pro Circuit Shorty and bring it back close to new. The baffle was broken and 25% of it was in pieces. I cut a baffle out of an old stock cr125 silencer, cut it to length, tacked it in place and it worked perfectly. The hardest part was getting the old decal off, bead blast wouldn't even touch it!!
Kyle220
1/11/2018 2:21am
I was able to get all of the rust off and most of the dents out, heat treated and ready to go!

Kyle220
1/20/2018 1:46pm
NOS 7/8 Carmichael bend.

The Holy Grail

ledger
1/21/2018 4:02pm
Nice score on NOS , especially on the perch.
Kyle220
1/22/2018 2:26am
ledger wrote:
Nice score on NOS , especially on the perch.
Yes indeed. I've been hunting for one for a long time and my dad found a guy on craigslist that had a bunch of NOS parts from a parts business he ran, it was the only KX one he had but its definitely a score!
tempura
1/22/2018 4:05am
Where are you going to find those decals? Rare as!
Kyle220
1/23/2018 2:10am
tempura wrote:
Where are you going to find those decals? Rare as!
I think I'm going to go with Elusive Graphics to make them, They did a PC kit for Brent Maggi and they turned out flawless.
Kyle220
1/23/2018 2:14am
The frame is blasted and I welded my tabs on for the water pump guard. I plan on making a carbon guard.

Swingarm is stripped and finished!

motomike894
1/24/2018 4:34am
Man dude you are really handy with them hands
Kyle220
1/28/2018 5:51am
NOS Cycra disk guard, NOS Pro Circuit brake snake and PC pegs.

kwenske321
2/27/2018 12:10am
Kyle220 wrote:
The frame is blasted and I welded my tabs on for the water pump guard. I plan on making a carbon guard. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/01/23/239594/s1200_IMG_20180122_202035_140.jpg[/img] Swingarm is stripped...
The frame is blasted and I welded my tabs on for the water pump guard. I plan on making a carbon guard.

What did you use to strip the swingarm? Awesome build!
Kyle220
2/27/2018 12:19am
Kyle220 wrote:
The frame is blasted and I welded my tabs on for the water pump guard. I plan on making a carbon guard. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/01/23/239594/s1200_IMG_20180122_202035_140.jpg[/img] Swingarm is stripped...

kwenske321 wrote:
What did you use to strip the swingarm? Awesome build!
It's called Klean-strip Aircraft paint stripper , spray it on, let it sit 10 min and scrub it off with scotch brite pad. Do that once or twice then hit it with wd40 and another scotch brite pad, then rinse with soap and water. WEAR GLOVES and be in a well ventilated area though, that shit is wicked!!
Theneil300
2/27/2018 5:35pm
Would you part with that non vented flo green number plate and a front fender??? Pretty please? Email me at @theneil300@gmail.com
mxBryan
2/28/2018 11:33am
Going to be another great build !
Nice work so far, not alot of 2001 Ricky Carmichael builds.

But i was honestly more hoping for a Brown 2001 MXoN bike haha Grinning
Kyle220
3/1/2018 11:40am
mxBryan wrote:
Going to be another great build ! Nice work so far, not alot of 2001 Ricky Carmichael builds. But i was honestly more hoping for a...
Going to be another great build !
Nice work so far, not alot of 2001 Ricky Carmichael builds.

But i was honestly more hoping for a Brown 2001 MXoN bike haha Grinning
I could always swap the #plates out and go back and forth between RC and Brown, haha. I just wanted to do something a little bit different, but I won't be going as in depth on this as I did with the 2000. Stock motor and most likely stock suspension unless i come across kit I can't pass up. But hopefully it turns out nice!
Kyle220
3/5/2018 1:04am
BEFORE & AFTER

Post a reply to: '00 PC'01 PC/KX125 Carmichael Build

The Latest