'06 RM250

Edited Date/Time 8/17/2017 8:18am
I'm in the process of building out a well kept 2006 RM250. Currently, the bike is in pieces with nearly everything ready to go and move forward toward the build/assembly process but I'm lacking a few things and am looking for input or knowledge from others on what may be available.

Wheels:
I'm looking to find an 18" rear wheel – Are there other wheels from other years, or other bikes that would swap out?

Triple Clamps: (when I bought it the bottom tree steering stop was busted off)
I bought a pair of TAGs for an'06 KX250f which I had read will fit. However, when also pairing that triple clamp set up with an updated '14 RMZ front fender/plate, things get wishy washy.
• Are there other year triple clamps that would work if i'm wanting to update the front fender/plate?

The frame has had tabs welded in place for the skid plate and then powder coated with the subframe and skid plate all Satin Black. Smile

The bike has been disassembled from the day I bought it and I'm about ready to put this bad boy together. Pics below are from before... and the afterward shots will be coming soon.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and I'll be updating the thread as I make progress.

|
Headling
7/20/2017 2:15pm
If you want to update the front fender/number plate to RMZ you can fit it to the stock triple clamps, the rear holes on the mudguard bolt up and you need to drill 2 x front holes and your done

As for other wheels for the RM from what I have read nothing else fits, RMZ etc

Good luck with the project
7/20/2017 2:22pm
Thanks for the response.

I'm looking to find aftermarket triple clamps that may be used. I did purchase some KX250f (2006) which I found "should" work, but once I got the new plastic I realized it wasn't going to work with the plastic. So I'm thinking of finding some RM specific clamps unless I can find a deal on another pair that would work frm another bike.

And as far as wheels, Are there ANY wheels that will interchange with an RM? KX, YZ, CR, etc...?

I've tried doing some research but it's a never ending tunnel of information to sort through and finding that correct information is even harder.

I can't wait to get it put together!
FTB
7/20/2017 5:14pm Edited Date/Time 7/20/2017 5:22pm
Applied Racing do an RM tripple clamp that uses the RMZ front guard and plate. You might need to Email them . BUD Racing also do them (Link at bottom)

As for the 18" rear wheel, you can just buy a rim and spokes for the OEM wheel and have it relaced. Or get some after market wheels. I have "Talon" Hubs with "SM Pro Platinum" rims and "Bull Dog" SS spokes.
Colin at "Faster USA" might also be worth trying.

https://www.budracing-usa.com/us/complete-triple-clamps-set-bud-racing…

http://www.fasterusa.com/
8/8/2017 1:49pm Edited Date/Time 8/17/2017 8:17am
Thanks for the information! I've been doing a bit more looking and I think the triple clamps I have will work, so that's good news.

I'm hoping to put some time to the assembly process but haven't had much time lately.

The Shop

8/15/2017 6:34am Edited Date/Time 8/17/2017 8:18am
Had a chance to do a little more work over the weekend and actually made a bit of progress. I had to tear apart the linkage and will definitely need new bearings. There was a lot of cleaning parts and prepping but made progress!

I'm going to be getting an 18" rear rim as well as get the hubs and possibly a few other small things cerakote coated so I had to disassemble the rim/hub/spokes. SO, what do you do when spokes have seized and it's become more of a pain in the ass to remove than it would to just buy new spokes? You get the grinder out and make the best use of your time... Smile

Also, I'm assuming this is okay as I think i've noticed it on some other bikes (via pictures) but can someone confirm that this hole is indeed okay?

Swingarm/subframe/skid plate are all Satin Black. I was shooting for a flat black, but the coaters only had satin and I was impatient. Oh well.

I'm also in a pickle with these triple clamps. The original owner had a little get-off which broke the steering stop on the bottom tree, so I picked up a new (used, but never actually used) set of TAG clamps off Ebay, months and months ago thinking they'd fit. I had to press the stock steering stem into the bottom of the KX250F clamp in hopes that the top would work with it, but things aren't lining up and the offsets are different from the 06 RM250 to the 06 KX250F. I called up TAG (which is now someone different - and are actually the sons of teh original founder of TAG/661/etc from a decade ago) but they have no information for me. They were super helpful, but have basically just bought the rights to the name and don't have specs for any of their triple clamps.

I'm going to go the route FTB mentioned above and get a set from Buds. Unfortunately, it's going to set me back a bit and I'll have to order a new fender as I already drilled out the RMZ fender for the KX250F clamps. I test fit a few things, but with the triple clamp offsets being subtle to the eye, it's not going to work out.

Got a new list of things to get and hopefully will be able to provide more completed photos. Mainly for my own sanity. I wanna ride this thing.

Post a reply to: '06 RM250

The Latest