1992 Rm125 my first love

KILLASAN
Edited Date/Time 11/20/2018 1:52pm
My first bike was a 1992 Rm125N. Bike was in decent condition when I initially bought it, I tried my best as what a 16yr old with no fixed/disposable income could have maintained such a machine. In 2005 I bought a 2005 Rm 125 and was completely blown away by the performance and general feel of the newer bike. After much contemplation I sold the 92 to a good friend who really was interested in MX and I figured id help him get there by offering my bike at a decent price. Boy did that hurt to let that go , but I told myself its better off as someone will enjoy it as much as myself. Fast forward 12 years I now own 4 bikes. the 05 Rm125 (Cylinder mods by EG) 08 Rm 250 (full engine mods by VPE), Rm85 110 supermini and a 05 Rm85. I have since aquainted myself with all the manuals, tools, and other information needed to maintain my Rm army. I always think of how my first bike could have been easily sorted out ( jetting,suspension and engine) with my gained knowledge.

The 92 within the 12 years changed 9 different owners, all of which could not give a f**k about maintenance. The bike circled its way back to my door step as the newest owner came to have it repaired. After an overall assessment everything was bad. EVERYTHING. Owners ran with torn airfilters, rad pump leaking -engine efull of water, all bearings shot, shock empty- bladder torn, forks empty, spokes missing, wheel bearings shot, top end  0 psi , reeds  gone, air filter cage missing, NO CARB- I was told they were using a Chinese scooter carb. The list goes onn and on. LOng story short ,parts list exceeded 1200 bucks. The new owner was flabbergasted. How could a 500 dollar bike need so much in parts alone??

His plan was to sell it to a parts shop as scrap. This was my baby I could not let that happened. ..I bought it at $400.

Hopefully I can complete this rebuild completed. Long expensive road ahead but im sure its worth it (well to me atleast)!

Fast forward 12 years later, it looks similar but..

After I bought it, I started tearing it down. I honestly felt hurt

Leaking Rad pump with bad worn impeller  and seized bearings! Water was sitting in here for over 3 months Sad

Bad bearings , Lots of dirt in the intake

Whats this silicone? WTF seems the dumba$$es tried prying the flywheel off with a screwdriver and pivoted on the case.

Time to tear down and see whats up . No fork guards, worng number plate, wrong rear fender -airboot exposed at the rear. Rear fender attached with roofing screws

This is why you don't use this red silicone -gets stuck in all the important oil flow areas. Stick to yamabond or threebond!

Engine out, Removed epoxy at the drain. What a lovely crack that is. Id really like to know wtf they had to do that resulted in all those knicks. Any sugggestions?

Scrapped and washed. Will have these rust treated and painted before rebuild.

Engine split, These guys painted the engine with some sort of oil based paint , the Crank bearing doesn't run smoothly, nor does 3 of the tranny bearings. The gears seem in great condition, the jug is unmarked and looks good.

20+yr old packing, burnt out and like paper. It got cleaned, decarbonized and repacked with whatever excess packing I had layin around.

While I wait for parts I started cleaning, inspecting and polishing alum parts. These polishing .deburring pads from pryme MX are amazing, bit pricey but dam its really efficient. If onlyi can source this cheaper somewhere id get myself a dozen!

Now to carefully order parts and play the waiting game.

The frame has been dropped to PC and the cases has gone of to be welded

update

A bit of motivation . Got the frame and swingarm back from the pc guys. It looks gorgeous! Dont hate me for not hitting it with the suzuki  yellow. But after much contemplating i wont be going the restore route.its gotta look different. I opted for flat black. I wish i could have found black plastics for this

Engine cases have just came back. Parts are still on its way. It still needs to rinse a couple of times.

update 2

Rear calipers shot. Piston seized. Did full rebuild.fluid behind piston had alot of dirt. Not sure why as the reservoir was clean. Maybe never bled ?

Took out the fuel shut off valve to clean. Boy was that thing filthy. Cleaned out the internals as it felt gritty while turning. Flushed the tank as well. So much dirtt

update 3:
Had an extra nimber plate and front fenser off my 05 rm125. The fender fit perfectly no drilling required however thr number plate did not. The triple on tje 92 did not have the ears at the bottom to seat the plate nor did it have the mount at the top to fasten it. I fabricated a top mount and a bottom plate to accept the platr fingers. Took about an hour but i think i got it. Now the 92 doesnt have the square front plates or the square fender.

Some progress. Got the crank rebuilt with the hotrods kit. Good thing i did. The old bearing amd pin was in rough shape!

Still awaiting 2 tranny bearings. So why not work on swing arm. Truth be told. This motion pro  tool really kicksass. Well.worth my money. The spacers/drivers really hold the bearings straight.

|
mrg172
Fantasy
451st
8/23/2018 7:55am
looks good!

I've got a 1990 in boxes that I will part out. let me know if you need anything.
KILLASAN
8/23/2018 8:18am
mrg172 wrote:
looks good!

I've got a 1990 in boxes that I will part out. let me know if you need anything.
Darn I wish I had posted here sooner. I bought a lot of parts -but I could have gotten away with a lot of used parts (especially a carb and rad valve !!). parts on eBay were either overpriced or worn too much so most I had to buy new. if anything comes up ill def msg you.

RussB
Fantasy
986th
8/23/2018 8:30am
Awesome start to what should be a great build thread!

Love the commitment to an old bike on the brink of death. Always good to see them get rebuilt instead of scraped or broken for parts.

Keep it coming, and don't be afraid to post to ask for parts/help. You'd be amazed what you can come across on Vital !
RyanLester761
8/23/2018 9:15am
Dude. You have your work cut out for you. So much damage but congrats for tackling all of that. I was really excited scrolling through these pics and following along until I saw the black frame. I know you asked for us not to hate, but man, the bike will look like a 1982 yz125- if you're into that. Good luck. I hope you're up to changing my mind on black frames. Keep up the progress and motivation.

The Shop

KILLASAN
8/23/2018 10:32am
Dude. You have your work cut out for you. So much damage but congrats for tackling all of that. I was really excited scrolling through these...
Dude. You have your work cut out for you. So much damage but congrats for tackling all of that. I was really excited scrolling through these pics and following along until I saw the black frame. I know you asked for us not to hate, but man, the bike will look like a 1982 yz125- if you're into that. Good luck. I hope you're up to changing my mind on black frames. Keep up the progress and motivation.
A lot of work is about right, every single thing seems to be out of order/missing/broken . I understand what you feel about the black frame. I actually contemplated this for quite some time. IT was either the original yellow , Suzuki metallic grey (like the more recent rms) or black. I eliminated the grey as I alrady have 4 bikes with same colour frame. It was either the yellow or black,. When I originally had this bike it was yellow and I loved it. Now that the bike is being rebuilt I want it look completely different , not just new plastic/decals difrferent! I settled on the flat black everything. I am not doing a 92 restoration to have it looking like it was from the showroom. I plan to use this bike a lot :D . The plastics will be all yellow with black decals . Too bad there are no black plastics for this model ,black fenders and side number plated would have looked decent (from various builds I saw not just my imagination lol)

Just lined up some stuff for a pic

RyanLester761
8/23/2018 12:03pm
KILLASAN wrote:
A lot of work is about right, every single thing seems to be out of order/missing/broken . I understand what you feel about the black frame...
A lot of work is about right, every single thing seems to be out of order/missing/broken . I understand what you feel about the black frame. I actually contemplated this for quite some time. IT was either the original yellow , Suzuki metallic grey (like the more recent rms) or black. I eliminated the grey as I alrady have 4 bikes with same colour frame. It was either the yellow or black,. When I originally had this bike it was yellow and I loved it. Now that the bike is being rebuilt I want it look completely different , not just new plastic/decals difrferent! I settled on the flat black everything. I am not doing a 92 restoration to have it looking like it was from the showroom. I plan to use this bike a lot :D . The plastics will be all yellow with black decals . Too bad there are no black plastics for this model ,black fenders and side number plated would have looked decent (from various builds I saw not just my imagination lol)

Just lined up some stuff for a pic

I can respect that. I'm happy to hear you'll ride it a lot. I believe the front fenders are the same from 1989-1999. I looked up the part numbers and only the last three (for the color) are different. Check this out if you want a black front fender, anyway.

http://ufoplasticusa.com/new/item.php?brand=Suzuki&model=RM125&year=199…
KILLASAN
8/23/2018 12:17pm
Thanks Ryan, the front fenders fit all the way up to the 07/08 rm 25/250 . I do have an extra set off my other bikes that fits perfectly, I made a little bracket to hold the newer number plate as well so the front is basically updated (with 2 less items off my cart thankfully).
Ive looked all over but no black for the other plastics, I think I already settled for the all yellow look.

Currently installing the crank and tranny, man I almost forgot how iffy lining up the forks and tranny gears were, been at this for over an hour!!!

KILLASAN
8/29/2018 5:52pm
So i ran into some headache. As mentioned earlier this bikr had no carb so i purchased a decent condition mikuni off a 01 rm 125. I also bought a carb boot off a 05 rm. Now im fitting up everything it seems the carb is too thin? There is a space about 3/4" between the airboot and carb. Im trying everything to get it to fit. No go. Alot of pita. Anybody got any suggestions how to get that carb connected?

8/29/2018 8:16pm
Rat bikes are full of surprises, like these from my '89 KX125 build a few years ago:

Back side of sprocket after I ground all that shit off.

and this winner
PO used axle from another bike and spaced it out with pennies.

RussB
Fantasy
986th
8/29/2018 11:43pm
KILLASAN wrote:
So i ran into some headache. As mentioned earlier this bikr had no carb so i purchased a decent condition mikuni off a 01 rm 125...
So i ran into some headache. As mentioned earlier this bikr had no carb so i purchased a decent condition mikuni off a 01 rm 125. I also bought a carb boot off a 05 rm. Now im fitting up everything it seems the carb is too thin? There is a space about 3/4" between the airboot and carb. Im trying everything to get it to fit. No go. Alot of pita. Anybody got any suggestions how to get that carb connected?

I beleive the airbox/airboot changed in 04 (I think)

Pretty sure they kept the same carb throughout the 2000's so that isn't the issue.

You may need to get an 01-03 airbox, that's quite a big gap you've got there!
KILLASAN
8/30/2018 7:22am
RussB wrote:
I beleive the airbox/airboot changed in 04 (I think) Pretty sure they kept the same carb throughout the 2000's so that isn't the issue. You may...
I beleive the airbox/airboot changed in 04 (I think)

Pretty sure they kept the same carb throughout the 2000's so that isn't the issue.

You may need to get an 01-03 airbox, that's quite a big gap you've got there!
The gap is pretty big, another airboot/airbox cannot work as its design is totally differently (swapped it with my 05 and it could not fit in the 92 subframe at all ) the air boot on either machine are attached differently to the airbox as well
I am stumped. I have 1 more idea to try if not ill have to search for an original 1992 carb .
RussB
Fantasy
986th
8/30/2018 7:49am
KILLASAN wrote:
The gap is pretty big, another airboot/airbox cannot work as its design is totally differently (swapped it with my 05 and it could not fit in...
The gap is pretty big, another airboot/airbox cannot work as its design is totally differently (swapped it with my 05 and it could not fit in the 92 subframe at all ) the air boot on either machine are attached differently to the airbox as well
I am stumped. I have 1 more idea to try if not ill have to search for an original 1992 carb .
Yep sorry, total brain fart there. Forgot which thread I was on and thought you had an 01 BlushLaughing

In that case you are correct, another airboot will not work. I have an 89 RM250 so similar ish era and the design is totally different to the modern RM's.

An original carb is probably the best route to go down.

You could try and extend the 05 carb at the intake end to stretch to the airboot, but cant say I've seen it done before.
KILLASAN
9/1/2018 1:19pm
Rigged up a spacer to reach the carb. Once this fits and holds ill.prob have a shop lathe this as 1 piece.
So far it looks promising!!

KILLASAN
9/5/2018 11:26am Edited Date/Time 9/5/2018 11:36am
The engine is finally assembled. Just completed and passed the leak down test. Everything seems goood to go. Just to fit the tank and try starting her up

Prev owner had no washer on the clutch basket. Lord knows how that was workin at all. Also replaced powervalve tension spring , clutch springs and the bolts. Ones on the bike were random sized and lengths bolts that really made me uncomfortable.

KILLASAN
9/9/2018 2:01pm
Some progress!
Finally sorted out the carb issue. I will be using the 38mm carb from the 01 rm. I got a spacer machined to fit snugly. The only issue is that i need to remove the airbox everytime i wanna change a jet or remove the carb. However ill sort out the jettin and then lock down everything. Currently its a bit on the rich side. My pj is at #20 and my main is #350 stock 01 rm125 needle on 3rd clip(a/ screw currently at 3.5 turns). Slide is stock 01 as well. I have ordered pj 12 15 and 17. Im hoping that clears up the slight bog .thr main sounds ok for now.

Heres a vid of the first start up. Boy was this exciting.

https://youtu.be/hpwv1soDZeQ
BenG
9/11/2018 4:43am
Sounds purrrrfect. Nice job
KILLASAN
10/4/2018 12:18pm
Been some time since i got time. I am still awaiting some jets to fine tune the carb. Just rebuilt the rear wheel. New bearings &spokes . Rebuilt rear caliper and front. Hooked up a front brake line guide as the oem wont fit with new plastics. The guide is fir a *cough * yz125 lol
Im almost there. Just needs fork rebuild new plastics front wheel. Front mc rebuild kit ,new front line and a decal kit.

KILLASAN
11/18/2018 6:41am
So here we are in November, 5 months or so and quite a few dollars. The project is now completed. She is running oh so sweet and i cant wait to tear it up on a track.

Tenacious P
11/19/2018 2:30pm
Nice! My first bike was a 1992 RM125. I loved that thing. It was so balanced and the suspension/engine package was great.
Lasse
Fantasy
2963rd
11/20/2018 1:52pm
Great build, tho' I think another seatcover would do wonders!

Post a reply to: 1992 Rm125 my first love

The Latest