1996 Honda CR250 build

braaap707
Edited Date/Time 9/8/2020 2:46am
Bought this 1996 cr250 yesterday for cheap money. Been within a family since new. Was bought in 99 as a left over and went from dad to son then to cousin who I bought it off. Apparently they both had a love for spray paint which is literally on everything. He also didn't believe in oiling his air filter which explained the smoked top end. Motor is on its stock crank so that's coming out. Motor will be made nice and fresh. Suspension just done by local shop and brakes are good.Great base to start from at least compared to some of the other stuff I was seeing. Will be posting up little more tommorow when cases get split and I start to tinker on the chassis
|
TooOld4WFO
Fantasy
1435th
1/13/2019 8:54pm
That bike is in great shape to begin with. You made an excellent score. Tough to find steel framed mid 90s CRs here in Calif. Tons of 2000 bikes. I paid $1300 for the hammered 95 I purchased and it was in way worse shape. Great score.
braaap707
1/14/2019 7:20am
Thanks I only payed 800 bucks and it ran. Definetly way better then my other 96 i started with which was in pieces and previous owner bent each motor mount trying to stuff a 500 motor into. Both were in bad homes. Some people's kids man lol. This a pic of that cr250 which I had to sell Not sure if I'm gonna do more of a 95 factory look like I already did once with my own twist (more red) or if I should do a 96 factory bike look but just not super into the all white like this

The Shop

yeroc281
1/14/2019 2:39pm
Subscribing to this thread. I recently snagged a low hour 96 last summer. Slowly collecting parts over the winter. I actually got more compliments at a vintage race asking where I found such a low hour bike. I threw tires, plastic and new chain/sprocket combo just the get it ready for the vintage race. Before pic (day I picked her up)
Home in my garage
After plastic...etc
Christmas score
Headed out to vintage race

braaap707
1/15/2019 9:22pm
That's awesome buy u got there man. It looks super clean ! Glad u ride it get your use out of it. I plan on racing mine at unadilla rewind this year. Because it's going to be a racer I plan on building this somewhat modestly this time around. No powder coat. The frame will just be touched up and preserved. Looks like santa has good taste ! When these bikes are being ridden it's a must to have some protection and the wc stuff is by far the best. I will be after a set for this but frame grip tape will get me through a little while. * Just to update cases will be split tommorow night and some jury rigged stuff on chassis will be fixed.
lumpy790
1/16/2019 7:04am
96 was a very fast bike that worked well after suspension revalving
braaap707
1/16/2019 2:18pm
Sorry to u purists that powdercoat everything but this bike will be raced this year so just touching up a few spots with duplicolor. Also nice of my body shop friend that gave me some awesome cocktail of chemicals to prep everything. Once the frame guards and skid plate are on you wouldn't even know ? Will be splitting cases here in a few. Just wanted to get the frame and subframe done first.

yeroc281
1/16/2019 5:59pm
I envy you tackling a complete tear down. I think it's great that you're not powder coating everything. I've got a buddy that found a cherry 1996 CR125 and he powder coated and went a little overboard with the rebuild modernizing it I think it kind of took away from its originality. This is actually my second 96. I bought one new back in November 1995(should've kept). Anyway I had a can of PJ1 Honda frame paint from 23 years ago that I was going to use to freshen up the sides. I thought it would be in the bikes best interest to not use it. I even called PJ one and they said the paint was discontinued years ago. Bummer.
sandman768
1/17/2019 5:33am
braaap707 wrote:
Sorry to u purists that powdercoat everything but this bike will be raced this year so just touching up a few spots with duplicolor. Also nice...
Sorry to u purists that powdercoat everything but this bike will be raced this year so just touching up a few spots with duplicolor. Also nice of my body shop friend that gave me some awesome cocktail of chemicals to prep everything. Once the frame guards and skid plate are on you wouldn't even know ? Will be splitting cases here in a few. Just wanted to get the frame and subframe done first.

Power coating a frame is not a "purist" thing, to me at least. If I had a clean original painted frame I would touch it up also. When I decide to have a frame powedercoated it is usually because I want the frame sand blasted & inspected for cracks, then any repairs or welding as needed. It's a 25 year old frame, If I were going to seriously race it, I would want to know the frame is 100%. You can get a frame to look very good with the rattle cans, it just does not hold up like automotive paint or powder. Nothing like scraping the paint off the lower rails just putting the bike on a stand.... of all my bikes there are 2 that I rattle canned, I grew up working in a body shop & painted cars commercially, I know how to prep a frame for paint, both of those frames I wish I had powdered or had body shop refinish. No matter what method, the finish will wear in the high wear area"s, but it's the other area"s where the higher quality finishing will hold up longer. Prepping the frame is the time consuming step in the process, If you donot sandblast it...if I had a friend in a body shop, I would ask how much to shoot the frame after you prep it...lay down some single stage enamel...thick & chewy! If he"s a really good friend he does it for a 12 pack.or lunch for the shop...and sends you off with a bottle of touch up in one of the little bottles with the brush tip......it's all good...I"m enjoying your build....
braaap707
1/17/2019 8:07am
sandman768 wrote:
Power coating a frame is not a "purist" thing, to me at least. If I had a clean original painted frame I would touch it up...
Power coating a frame is not a "purist" thing, to me at least. If I had a clean original painted frame I would touch it up also. When I decide to have a frame powedercoated it is usually because I want the frame sand blasted & inspected for cracks, then any repairs or welding as needed. It's a 25 year old frame, If I were going to seriously race it, I would want to know the frame is 100%. You can get a frame to look very good with the rattle cans, it just does not hold up like automotive paint or powder. Nothing like scraping the paint off the lower rails just putting the bike on a stand.... of all my bikes there are 2 that I rattle canned, I grew up working in a body shop & painted cars commercially, I know how to prep a frame for paint, both of those frames I wish I had powdered or had body shop refinish. No matter what method, the finish will wear in the high wear area"s, but it's the other area"s where the higher quality finishing will hold up longer. Prepping the frame is the time consuming step in the process, If you donot sandblast it...if I had a friend in a body shop, I would ask how much to shoot the frame after you prep it...lay down some single stage enamel...thick & chewy! If he"s a really good friend he does it for a 12 pack.or lunch for the shop...and sends you off with a bottle of touch up in one of the little bottles with the brush tip......it's all good...I"m enjoying your build....
Thanks man alot of good points however I think I already commited to not blasting it and cleaning it by hand defiantly way more effort but now that I'm done it's all good. Kind of already have it in my head that the frame will get powdercoated next year so this is just to clean up bare spots or white spots that arw discolored. What i didn't think of though is inspecting the frame ,which I will do tonight before I paint it. Bike doesnt have alot of time but if it was rotted from inside from a hairline crack I wouldn't even have known unless I really check the frame over.
yeroc281
1/20/2019 3:16pm
What brand of pistons did you use on your builds?
braaap707
2/6/2019 7:43am
Sorry for the long delay. Just been busy working on a few other of my modern bikes. So cases split and the new hot rod bottom end kit finished up the lower end. Now just gonna order myself up a pro x piston and the motor will be done
braaap707
2/6/2019 8:59am
Next will be some good elbow grease to clean the cases a little bit more. Just ordered some throttle jockey goodies today to go along with my piston. 96 factory style seat cover, Carbon Fiber look a like air box decals, plasticwerks front stadium plate. From there im thinking some KTM foot pegs, bud racing natural pipe and carbon fiber muffler and other odds and end
braaap707
5/1/2019 6:03pm Edited Date/Time 5/1/2019 6:05pm
So due to some family stuff I've had to put this resto down for little while but I'm back. Went to slide the top end and then saw how gummed up with oil the powervalves were. Cleaned them up. Hit the cylinder with some wd40 and scotchbrite. Gave it a quick ball hone too.
braaap707
5/1/2019 6:20pm
Clutch basket was pretty worm so gave it some filing. Yes I know this is only halfway done in the pic haha. Clutch is going in tommorow night and top end is going on too.
braaap707
5/1/2019 6:28pm
After debating on wether or not to break down the stock wheels I decided to cut the spokes and trash the front rim. It was pretty tacoed. Found a decent silver excel rim in my stock of rims. Cleaned and broke down both wheels. Cleaned the hubs by hand and came out decent enough. Might do some clearcoat to brighten them up. Got a set of moose ss spokes coming to relace and tru the wheels.
braaap707
5/4/2019 5:31am
So more progress last night. Clutch is in and so is inner clutch cover. Unfortunately my outer cover has a crack in it. Put some jb weld on it last night so will be letting it sit then sanding down, taping off the Honda letters and spraying it with some black wrinkle finish to give it then boysen cover kinda look.
braaap707
5/4/2019 5:35am
Motor is pretty much done. Had to leave the clutch cover off cause of the crack and ignition cover will stay off till motors in and we can put a clutch cable in. Oh and got screwed on rh side powervalves cover gasket but got one coming. For now, it's on to the frame, swingarm and suspension. Forks just needs seals and oil. Shock needs a new bumper and nitrogen. Getting there little by little .
braaap707
7/19/2020 6:02am
Man I guess I win longest build with no updates huh ? So been juggling a few different things, currently building a 89 cr125, 96 ktm 300 EXC, 97 ktm 360 mxc, a 82 Suzuki GS1100 and my 2020 Husky TC125 been getting some love. But over these last few months I've been getting the 96 cr250 together and she runs ! I'm not done with it yet so I will try to be better about updating it this time when I do mods like showa tc forks ohlins shock on the way and make it look little fresher.
braaap707
7/19/2020 6:30am Edited Date/Time 7/19/2020 6:36am
Little more of a rundown on what's been done. New black excel wheels I laced and trued to the stock hubs with new dunlop 952, pro taper bearing throttle tube, new bars, pro circuit 304 silencer, ims foot pegs, backgrounds and carbon look airbox decals. Forks and shock were both rebuilt. Went to put a oem pipe mount on the fmf pipe and it didn't like up at all so now I think this things got a different year cr pipe on it so that needs to be figured out for now till i get a natural pipe. Front axle doesn't belong on this bike either. Sticks out way too far which makes me think it's a later model axle. Rear chain adjuster bolts are both frozen those gotta come out. Been a struggle getting a chain slider but got oem one coming. Carb choke plunger is crap so gotta replace that. Also dont like this china gripper seat cover thing sucks lol. New throttle jockey 96 factory rep will be going on once bigger issues get dialed in. Lot of little issues but it'll be good to go in few weeks. Gonna put chain and grips on it today and take it for a rip up and down the driveway and get that motor broken in and then jet it as well.
braaap707
9/6/2020 5:25am Edited Date/Time 9/6/2020 5:28am
So it's been little while so thought I'd update. Got this thing dialed as best I could and went racing at Unadilla rewind with it. Overall bike did great for me however shock is blown and realized that days before the race but just said screw it. All I did was hit it with new nitrogen and it worked but seal is bad so it all leaked out in no time at all. Still was able to come away with a 1-1 finish in the 90s 250/500 AM class and 3-3 in open age disc brake AM class. Now that I've raced it it's time for improvements. Items I have coming currently: KTM raptor pegs(my ims ones suck) Ohlins shock, KTM front brake system, Throttle jockey seat cover and lastly a hgs natural pipe. I'll post more when the goods are on. That's really it for now. This winter I'm gonna do some performance mods. Heard 01 domed head and rm250 piston is common setup and also gonna put a keihn Airstryker on too. Currently has the orginal pj that I've cleaned and jetted and its just eh. Anyway thanks for reading !
TooOld4WFO
Fantasy
1435th
9/6/2020 8:52pm
Congrats are your moto wins and respectable showing in the other class.
Seems like you have a whole bunch of projects going on. Obviously you have a ton for passion for all of that is restore. Great job.
9/8/2020 2:46am
braaap707 wrote:
So it's been little while so thought I'd update. Got this thing dialed as best I could and went racing at Unadilla rewind with it. Overall...
So it's been little while so thought I'd update. Got this thing dialed as best I could and went racing at Unadilla rewind with it. Overall bike did great for me however shock is blown and realized that days before the race but just said screw it. All I did was hit it with new nitrogen and it worked but seal is bad so it all leaked out in no time at all. Still was able to come away with a 1-1 finish in the 90s 250/500 AM class and 3-3 in open age disc brake AM class. Now that I've raced it it's time for improvements. Items I have coming currently: KTM raptor pegs(my ims ones suck) Ohlins shock, KTM front brake system, Throttle jockey seat cover and lastly a hgs natural pipe. I'll post more when the goods are on. That's really it for now. This winter I'm gonna do some performance mods. Heard 01 domed head and rm250 piston is common setup and also gonna put a keihn Airstryker on too. Currently has the orginal pj that I've cleaned and jetted and its just eh. Anyway thanks for reading !
A KTM front brake system will work on CR forks with no modifications? Just plug and play?

Post a reply to: 1996 Honda CR250 build

The Latest