2001 yz125 basket case build

Edited Date/Time 4/5/2020 7:44pm
Hey all,

Thinking about building a basket case that I've had on the shelf for a few years. I participated in the 2016 dream race in Washougal and really want to go again. Here is the link to my build from the last time I went.

2016 Build

Made an Instagram for some of my projects. @stromberg_performanceservices

looking for parts too. any leads would be very helpful.
https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/For-Sale-Bazaar,26/WTB-05-19-YZ-parts-an…

Current state of the basket case

|
9/2/2018 4:48pm Edited Date/Time 9/2/2018 4:49pm
Looks like the cylinder is salvageable. I'll pull some measurements and see what she reads out at. Rotating assembly is junk.

9/2/2018 4:51pm
I'm not sure what happened on the clutch side, but one spring is mangled, some posts are broke off of the clutch hub, and the basket is missing. Something came apart and cracked the inner clutch housing.

plowboy
9/3/2018 9:06am Edited Date/Time 9/3/2018 9:11am
I really admire all you guys that can look at that mess and imagine an end product. All I see is hard work and lots of it.

Which makes no sense at all...I've rebuilt airplanes that didn't look much better. The difference I guess is that the cost was not a factor.
9/3/2018 9:09am
Anything special planned? A lot of guys go with the newer subframe and plastics but I actually like the original look of these bikes

The Shop

9/3/2018 10:04am
plowboy wrote:
I really admire all you guys that can look at that mess and imagine an end product. All I see is hard work and lots of...
I really admire all you guys that can look at that mess and imagine an end product. All I see is hard work and lots of it.

Which makes no sense at all...I've rebuilt airplanes that didn't look much better. The difference I guess is that the cost was not a factor.
These are actually extremely simple, sort of like legos. Once you do one, you have it pretty well figured out. Plus, this is much less work for me haha, I don't have to take it apart
9/3/2018 10:08am
Kx125rider wrote:
Anything special planned? A lot of guys go with the newer subframe and plastics but I actually like the original look of these bikes
This is going to be a no limit build. Newer subframe and body work, new suspension (SSS kayaba), full engine build. Probably going to keep it 125cc. Going to be comparable to my version of a works bike. The initial investment is extremely low, so I'm going to indulge on this build. Trying to get some parts suppliers on board before I dig into it to much.
9/3/2018 10:15am
Kx125rider wrote:
This is going to be a no limit build. Newer subframe and body work, new suspension (SSS kayaba), full engine build. Probably going to keep it...
This is going to be a no limit build. Newer subframe and body work, new suspension (SSS kayaba), full engine build. Probably going to keep it 125cc. Going to be comparable to my version of a works bike. The initial investment is extremely low, so I'm going to indulge on this build. Trying to get some parts suppliers on board before I dig into it to much.
That’s awesome looking forward to seeing it come together
9/3/2018 11:25am
Quick clean job on them, now I'm going to work on removing dowels, silicone, gasket material and a couple blind hole bearings.

9/4/2018 9:27am Edited Date/Time 9/4/2018 9:32am
Starting on the frame and swingarm
Still searching for a subframe

Lack of maintenance from previous owner

MxSkater86
9/4/2018 9:47am
Just saw this on your instagram the other night. Was looking forward to seeing it on here. I'm almost finished an '04 yz 125 that I bought in a box also (Hoping to upload some photos soon).

For the newer subframe don't you have to re-locate the mounting brackets on the 01 and below?
9/4/2018 10:16am
MxSkater86 wrote:
Just saw this on your instagram the other night. Was looking forward to seeing it on here. I'm almost finished an '04 yz 125 that I...
Just saw this on your instagram the other night. Was looking forward to seeing it on here. I'm almost finished an '04 yz 125 that I bought in a box also (Hoping to upload some photos soon).

For the newer subframe don't you have to re-locate the mounting brackets on the 01 and below?
I guess I'm not positive, maybe I should test fit mine off of my new bike to be sure before it gets coated
Thanks for the heads up!
9/5/2018 2:28pm Edited Date/Time 9/5/2018 2:41pm
Frame and swing arm are coated
Frame is a little more purple than I was hoping for. Might recoat it. Or might roll with it

9/12/2018 5:35pm
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/09/09/286102/s1200_bike.jpg[/img] this my 01 that i bought in a bucket

this my 01 that i bought in a bucket
looks good!
4/5/2020 7:43pm
Well, I definitely didnt make any dream races. Not going to do an all out build. Simple build with newer parts. Just picked up a complete SSS front and rear suspension from an 06 yz250. Going to try to make the rear suspension/linkage work with the shock. Should be a good handling bike

Post a reply to: 2001 yz125 basket case build

The Latest