2003 KDX 200 + 2006 CRF250R hybrid

Goatsby
2/25/2018 2:14pm Edited Date/Time 2/26/2018 7:07am
So now that my KTM is just about done..Onto another project.

I bought both of these bikes a while ago. The KDX is an absolute turd. It is mangled and beaten within an inch of its life. It is a theft recovery, I paid 130 dollars for it. Believe it or not it actually ran in this condition, and I rode it up and down the street and it shifted through all the gears. I already took off the carb to throw it in the ultrasonic cleaner and the pipe so I can restore it, it's an FMF gnarly. The piston is shot and very scratched looking into the exhaust port, but for 130 bucks you can't go wrong.

Next up is the transplant receiver. I bought this bike for 300 dollars, and recieved the whole bike in a box sans the front end. These bikes are very very popular to blow up so I'm hoping to get a complete front end on craigslist for cheap. The carb has already been sold for 175 dollars and most of the cost is recouped.

So now the plans. I'd like to be a bit more meticulous about documenting and working on this bike than my KTM. I started rushing through it at the end because I really wanted to get out riding again as it's been a while. That should be this upcoming weekend! I'm going to part out the engine from the CRF on ebay and see if anything salvageable is left on the KDX to sell.Neither of the brakes work and the front rim seems bent. So maybe the only thing good there is the rear wheel, and the possibly the forks, will have to check for straightness.

The biggest hurdle to overcome will be chopping out the frame Y and relocating it. The swingarm will have to be cut, and the pivot in the cases reamed. The bushings will have to be cut as well, I have doubts that my Chinese 9x20 lathe has the rigidity to do this job so I might have to out source that. Everything else I plan on doing myself. These bikes came from the factory street legal, so I might go that route for the hybrid. I'd like to keep this on more of a budget than the KTM, as it'll just be a 2nd bike for taking friends out and trying to get them into riding, or when someone in the riding group has blown up theirs. I'm also going to try and clean out the garage a bit so it's presentable and shoot some video.. Been inspired recently by youtube member "G9 Garage."
|
PTshox
2/25/2018 3:37pm
Very doable project... and your 9x20 lathe will work fine to make bushing for the cases - or to open up the ones already there if the KDX has a bigger swing arm bolt (bet it's smaller).

I put a YZ250 2 stroke engine in an RMZ250 frame... actually used the Y part off a CRF250R for it...

PTshox
2/25/2018 3:40pm
Here is the finished product.

Goatsby
2/25/2018 4:35pm
That's awesome, very clean bike. I'm hoping my end result ends up somewhere around there! My KTM was a but rushed through and I didn't clean some things up as much as I should've.
KDXGarage
2/25/2018 11:52pm
WOW! Very nice. Congratulations on the bike.

If you can, post it to kdxrider.net. Many of us there would be glad to see it.

Post a reply to: 2003 KDX 200 + 2006 CRF250R hybrid

The Latest