btn
btn
1 of 2
Related:
Create New Tag
JohnCharlesC JohnCharlesC
10/10/2019 1:22 PM

Bought this bike back in 2010 with less than 5hrs on it. All stock down to the grips and tires. Since then the bike "only" has 51hrs on it. Pro Circuit for Motor and Suspension and little bits of goodies sprinkled around. Haven't ridden the bike in about a year so I wanted to break it down and clean/detail everything. Debating if I should do a top end or not.. Has 30hrs on it since the engine work. Would you guys replace the top end? Currently as it sits. Break down coming soon.
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

@moto_banana

slamdmini slamdmini
10/10/2019 4:22 PM

yes 100% do a top end. to me 30 hrs is a lot on a top end, plus they are cheap and easy to do. cant wait to see this thing done.

Jim in VA Jim in VA
10/10/2019 4:29 PM
slamdmini wrote:

yes 100% do a top end. to ...more

I don’t know man. I’d personally save the money to buy some shoes.

Kidding aside, yeah it’s probably time, but depends on if it’s ridden on a track, putting around in the woods, etc. Probably could use a ring at minimum.

10/12/2019 8:28 PM

Tearing it down..
Photo
Photo

Photo
Photo
Photo

I hate taking these things off, such a pain!!
Photo

Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

Pieces all laid out. Some pieces were already cleaned when I took this pic.
Photo
Photo

Factory Connection linkage is definitely my favorite piece on the bike
Photo

One of the motor mounts still looks brand new.. wow
Photo

Photo

@moto_banana

10/12/2019 8:41 PM
slamdmini wrote:

yes 100% do a top end. to ...more

Yea, thinking about it now it's probably best to do it. Since having to tear it back down later would suck.

@moto_banana

10/13/2019 8:03 PM

Got the frame cleaned up as best as I could with the aluminum cleaner. Came out decent I think.

Before
Photo
Photo

Photo

AfterPhoto
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

@moto_banana

Chance1216 Chance1216
10/13/2019 9:45 PM

I had the same marks on my frame as you from the radiator shrouds digging into the frame while riding. I forgot where I saw it but taking strips of Velcro with glue on one side really helps protect the frame. It'll eventually wear all the way through believe it or not. Here's a pic for reference. Can't wait to see more of your bike. Photo

garagedog garagedog
10/14/2019 12:09 PM

Yes, new piston kit for sure.
Check the ring gap and piston size on the old rings/piston and compare to what the manual says. If they are past the OEM specs, you know you went way past a service interval. Make sure the cylinder is not worn too much either.

10/20/2019 7:03 PM

Cleaned up the frame again because I wasn’t really happy with it the first time. But now it’s looking clean! I love the sheen look.
Photo
Photo

Specbolt Nickel Wurks kit 👍🏻
Photo

Cleaned up the swingarm.

Before
Photo

Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

After

Photo

Photo
Photo
Photo

Photo
Stock bolts vs Nickel Wurks bolts for swingarm
Photo

Photo

Photo

Some other bolts
Photo

Photo
Photo
Photo

Bolts on the triple clamps. Love how these look! Wonder if I can get new PC stickers..
Photo
Photo

Photo

Photo
Photo

@moto_banana

Action69 Action69
10/20/2019 9:16 PM

Looking good,what product did you use to clean the aluminum?

10/21/2019 11:08 AM
Action69 wrote:

Looking good,what product ...more

I think any aluminum type cleaner should work but this is the one I used. Cleaned with soap and water first then the aluminum cleaner after. This last time only took about 10-15 mins of scrubbing with a medium steel wool pad. The first time I probably spent around 20-25mins, so didn’t take too long.
Photo

@moto_banana

tsmitty2661 tsmitty2661
10/22/2019 9:59 AM

Wish I had some of those parts on my 07!
Photo

10/22/2019 2:09 PM

They are all parts I have slowly acquired over the years! I still have a handful of stuff waiting to go on the bike once I put it all together.

@moto_banana

H4L H4L
10/22/2019 8:44 PM

Hey Charles. Looking good on the refurbish. Let me know if you decide to sell that tiddler.

Speak softly and carry a big stick.

gavinmgrant gavinmgrant
10/23/2019 7:23 AM

What a beauty! I just sold my 06 cr125 a few months ago. One of the best turning bikes ive ever had. *sad face*

10/24/2019 8:03 PM

Small Update. Got the carb and subframe cleaned up today.

Before... Probably needs new seals.
Photo
Photo
Photo

After. Feels so good when things are clean! haha
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

Subframe
Photo
Photo
Photo

@moto_banana

Lightning78 Lightning78
10/24/2019 11:52 PM

Wow that is an incredibly large amount of work for your questionable top-end work to take it apart and frame it like that is a lot of work for a bike that clean it's your bike and I'm sure it will look incredible when done. Look forward to the finished product

10/25/2019 12:50 PM
Lightning78 wrote:

Wow that is an incredibly ...more

haha def a lot of work but enjoyable work! My plan (for now) is to clean/fix some things and leave it. I have another bike I am currently riding so this bike hardly gets ridden right now.

@moto_banana

1/12/2020 11:21 PM

Been trying to get this build finished but have been a little busy lately. Put the engine back in the frame w/o the top end (sounded/felt good last time I rode it), since I don't have any plans to ride this once it is finished.

Just going to install the parts I've had for a while and see what happens in the future. For now here are some pics.

Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

My favorite piece
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

Specbolt bolts littered throughout the bike
Photo
Photo

Few OEM and few aftermarket plastics
Photo

TwinAir air filter cage
Photo

Full Hinson!
Photo

Carb booster pack 1000.. lol..
Photo

@moto_banana

dylanv21 dylanv21
1/13/2020 9:30 AM

Need to get you a Hinson Clutch cover to compliment the full Hinson inside!

1/13/2020 4:41 PM
dylanv21 wrote:

Need to get you a Hinson ...more

If Hinson made it I would buy it, but they dont make clutch covers for the CR125.. sad

@moto_banana

B1rdman93 B1rdman93
1/13/2020 6:53 PM

A little finer grit pad (white color) will smooth out swingarm and frame lines. Great job! Look forward to seeing the finished product.

bonseff bonseff
1/13/2020 7:35 PM

Can you clue me in to the carb breather hose bucket? That is trick! Curious.

zac_k3 zac_k3
1/14/2020 8:30 AM

anyway you could post a pic of the steel wool pads you used for the swing arm?

Zesiger 112 Zesiger 112
1/14/2020 8:48 AM

You don't plan to ride it when your done?

Markopolo400 Markopolo400
1/14/2020 11:44 AM

What linkage is that?

1/14/2020 10:37 PM

What is the “white color” grit pad you are talking about?

This is what I used to clean my frame/swingarm and subframe. Along with mag cleaner.

Photo

@moto_banana

1/14/2020 10:52 PM

The carb canister keeps the hoses out of the way and does nothing else. I hear it adds roughly 4-5hp but I haven’t felt it grin *kidding*

The linkage is Factory Connection.

For now, I’m having too much fun riding my rm250 that I don’t have too much interest to ride the 125. I’ll never sell it so I don’t mind it just sitting there for me to look at cool

@moto_banana

zac_k3 zac_k3
1/15/2020 12:29 AM
JohnCharlesC wrote:

What is the “white color” ...more

Awesome, thanks! Did you ever strip the anodizing off the swing arm or will the mag wheel cleaner and steel wool with the red pad give me this look? I just picked up a 96’ cr250 and the only cleaning the swing arm ever got was probably a car wash wand sick

1/15/2020 8:01 AM

That sounds pretty rough! My swing arm was already in pretty good shape so I didn’t strip the anodize. I first used water and soap to get the big dirt. Then lightly with the scuffing pad and then steel wool. I always scrubbed with the mag cleaner sprayed on (I think I used an overkill amount) and always in the direction of the grain. Also, only ever used microfiber clothes to clean and dry. Hope this helps and good luck with yours!

@moto_banana

btn
btn
1 of 2

Post a Reply

Cool Wink Smile Tongue Laughing Shocked Sick Angry Blink Sad Unsure Kissing Woohoo Grinning Silly Pinch Sideways Whistling Evil Dizzy Blush Cheerful Huh Dry