2011 kx250f build UPDATE 12/13/18

Gmoney911
Edited Date/Time 12/13/2018 12:06pm
Picked up this 2011 kx250f last night for basically nothing and I'm gonna make a winter project out of it. The bike is completely torn apart and everything needs a good cleaning before anything gets put back together (see pics). This will be my first complete to the frame 4 stroke build, and also my first kawi so I'm excited. that being said, If anyone has some good DO's and DONT's for these Kawis, feel free to let me know. I will keep the thread updated as i go along!

Motor wise, well there isn't much of a motor to be messed with. They gave me the cases and cylinder head and thats about it. From what i can put together, the motor had to have been blown up and never put back together. Luckily i found a complete bottom end and cylinder with a piston on eBay for a great price, so all i have to worry about is getting the head put together. I plan to have the head ported and polished since its already torn all the way apart and we have a great local guy to do it.

Body wise, i don't really have an idea what I'm going to do yet color scheme wise. The bike will probably end up being my woods race bike next year and will get fairly rough by the end of the year. With that in mind, hand guards, Skid plate, rotor guards, heavy duty chain guides, all that will most likely get used.

Suspension will go to my local guy to go through, odds are the oil and seals are beyond roached, and ill have him set it to my liking at the same time.

|
pCp 252
Fantasy
2530th
11/17/2018 6:11pm
The P3 skid plate will look good on there Wink

My off-road race bike is a 2015 KX250F & I've owned a bunch of them through the years.

Suspension wise; I've always ran the SFF forks with the preload adjuster inbetween all the way out & 6 clicks in. The forks seem harsh with that big single spring preloaded down. I'm on a .88 fork spring @ 155 lbs. I also like to run the Pro Circuit KPA07450 linkage arm (2006 KX450F link is the same length) to settle the rear in the turns. I've found it doesn't sacrifice much high speed chop but feels planted like running a high sag number. Speaking of sag, I like 105mm.

The TPS sensor on the 2011 & 12 is prone to being hit. Pro Circuit made a guard for it. When it gets hit it may become uncalibrated & the bike doesn't get the proper amount of fuel at idle. You may want to check yours.

The Rekluse is awesome in the woods if its in your budget. But if its not, make sure to get some HD clutch springs. The stock ones have always made the clutch slip for me. Also, I believe the manual calls for .79L at oil change, but your clutch will thank you for using a full quart.

That rear axle castle nut & cotter pin can be replaced with a newer kxf/crf locking axle nut for easier maintenance.
dmm698
11/17/2018 6:50pm
Since you got a great deal on the bike, I've got an A kit that would be the bee's knee's on that thing.

When I had an 11 back in 2011, and the 12's hit, I upgraded the FI system to the 2012 setup, dual injector. Was a lot better. You just need the 12 air boot / injector/ harness/ ECU.
Gmoney911
11/17/2018 8:00pm
pCp 252 wrote:
The P3 skid plate will look good on there ;) My off-road race bike is a 2015 KX250F & I've owned a bunch of them through...
The P3 skid plate will look good on there Wink

My off-road race bike is a 2015 KX250F & I've owned a bunch of them through the years.

Suspension wise; I've always ran the SFF forks with the preload adjuster inbetween all the way out & 6 clicks in. The forks seem harsh with that big single spring preloaded down. I'm on a .88 fork spring @ 155 lbs. I also like to run the Pro Circuit KPA07450 linkage arm (2006 KX450F link is the same length) to settle the rear in the turns. I've found it doesn't sacrifice much high speed chop but feels planted like running a high sag number. Speaking of sag, I like 105mm.

The TPS sensor on the 2011 & 12 is prone to being hit. Pro Circuit made a guard for it. When it gets hit it may become uncalibrated & the bike doesn't get the proper amount of fuel at idle. You may want to check yours.

The Rekluse is awesome in the woods if its in your budget. But if its not, make sure to get some HD clutch springs. The stock ones have always made the clutch slip for me. Also, I believe the manual calls for .79L at oil change, but your clutch will thank you for using a full quart.

That rear axle castle nut & cotter pin can be replaced with a newer kxf/crf locking axle nut for easier maintenance.
ya man I'm excited for that skid plate!

im gonna have my suspension guy set it up because i already know I'm too heavy for the springs that are in there. As for the linkage arm, id like to see the difference between the two.

Ive honestly never been a fan of the rekluse clutches in 4 strokes, i just like being in complete control of the clutch at all times. the motor i picked up for it has a full hinson setup in it, so i should be set clutch wise.

the rear nut has actually already been changed to the newer one!
Gmoney911
11/17/2018 8:03pm
dmm698 wrote:
Since you got a great deal on the bike, I've got an A kit that would be the bee's knee's on that thing. When I had...
Since you got a great deal on the bike, I've got an A kit that would be the bee's knee's on that thing.

When I had an 11 back in 2011, and the 12's hit, I upgraded the FI system to the 2012 setup, dual injector. Was a lot better. You just need the 12 air boot / injector/ harness/ ECU.
how much are you wanting for the A kit?

Ive been looking at the dual injector setup actually, not sure if I'm going to pull the trigger.

The Shop

dmm698
11/18/2018 4:46pm Edited Date/Time 11/20/2018 11:40am
dmm698 wrote:
Since you got a great deal on the bike, I've got an A kit that would be the bee's knee's on that thing. When I had...

Gmoney911 wrote:
how much are you wanting for the A kit? Ive been looking at the dual injector setup actually, not sure if I'm going to pull the...

Ive been looking at the dual injector setup actually, not sure if I'm going to pull the trigger.
Forks and clamps only , 1600 plus shipping and PayPal fees. 49mm dual spring.

Shock 900$ ( won’t sell the shock unless somebody takes the forks first. Reason being is I could use the shock for parts on my 19).

2300 plus shipping and PayPal fees for shock/forks/clamps.
Gmoney911
11/18/2018 6:22pm
dmm698 wrote:

Gmoney911 wrote:
how much are you wanting for the A kit? Ive been looking at the dual injector setup actually, not sure if I'm going to pull the...

dmm698 wrote:
Forks and clamps only , 1600 plus shipping and PayPal fees. 49mm dual spring. Shock 900$ ( won’t sell the shock unless somebody takes the forks...
Forks and clamps only , 1600 plus shipping and PayPal fees. 49mm dual spring.

Shock 900$ ( won’t sell the shock unless somebody takes the forks first. Reason being is I could use the shock for parts on my 19).

2300 plus shipping and PayPal fees for shock/forks/clamps.
that'd be awesome man but i need to get the motor complete before i go spending 2K on suspension. I really appreciate the offer!

And if anyone has or knows of someone who has a complete head for a 2011 or 12 kx250f send them my way
Gmoney911
11/26/2018 5:55pm
UPDATE: Half of the power plant showed up this weekend. I'll go through the parts into the motor a little bit.

Internal: Wiseco 14:1 HI-comp piston, Hinson clutch basket and inner hub, brand new cylinder, isotropic finished transmission, Hot rods crank

External; Pro circuit ignition and clutch covers, P/C water pump and cover, and came with a hammerhead shifter

I ended up buying a complete take off head that already has beryllium valve seats, custom titanium flat faced valves (i believe they are manley) and Ported by XPR (he does Motoconcpets Honda engines a few others). I will update with more pictures once that showed up!

Also, i will be starting the cleanup and prep of the chassis this week. Should be ready to slap the motor in within the next week or so.

Gmoney911
11/29/2018 8:10pm
HEAD IS HERE!! I added a pic of the intake ports to show the work that was done. Putting it side by side with the stock head is an incredible difference!

Gmoney911
12/13/2018 12:06pm
Motor is complete! Once I get the frame and everything cleaned up, re-assembly will begin! I can’t wait to ride this thing!

Post a reply to: 2011 kx250f build UPDATE 12/13/18

The Latest