2015 TM 125 Build

Aggie15
Edited Date/Time 3/23/2018 7:30am
Picked up a TM last week, first one I've seen in person and these things are sweet! It looks pretty rough so cleaning it up is the main goal at the moment. No crazy mods planned for now, but I love following ya'lls builds so much I figured I'd throw one up. Going to concentrate on getting everything clean and in good order first, maybe throw on a Scalvini. Anyway, here's some pics.

The super enticing picture used in the ad

Quick wash before tear down

I tried naval jelly on the pipe last weekend but it didn't work the greatest. Going to try some other things soon. (This is before)

Stock Brembo front brake and Galfer rotor. Also the big thing I didn't notice when I picked it up. Dude nailed something and busted the bottom of the fork lug. From some internet research it's looking like I'll have to buy the whole fork tube assembly due to the way KYB puts on the lug. From what I understand they're the same SSS the Yamaha 2 strokes had so shouldn't be too hard to find. Still have some reading to do before I decide what track to go down there.

Anyway, that's where she's at. I'm framing it at the moment, so as I get it cleaned up I'll post more pictures of some of the cooler things TM has going on. Also, if ya'll have any suggestions on where to get TM parts please let me know, as it is I'll probably put an order in with Gravity next week.

|
3/16/2018 1:10pm
You could have the lug replaced at any suspension shop. Some offer to do it.

You’d have to buy a new lower and lug if it’s unabke to come off without damage.
Headling
3/16/2018 1:43pm
Good luck with the build, be nice to see something different from the Japanese bike builds
ledger
3/16/2018 2:21pm
Such a cool bike, and different too.... that's a good thing.

The Shop

Bearuno
3/16/2018 9:29pm Edited Date/Time 3/16/2018 9:32pm
That bike looks like it has not had much love and care so far. Hopefully, you can give it the attention and care it should have.

It probably already has damage to it, but please, please check all points of contact of plastic and cables on the frame.

Aluminum (and Steel) vs plastic = plastic Always Wins.

It's bad enough to see trenches in mass produced frames, but the TMs, which are gorgeous Aluminium frames, made and welded like they all should be, never deserve to be butchered by plastic, cables, boots etc.

Why owners of any Aluminium frame can't take the time to apply Contact to rub areas is beyond me. It's just so fuggin obvious a thing to think of. Don't forget the Subframe, either

I'm a Frame Maker, I hate seeing damage from such simple, preventable things.

I helped a mate who was part of the previous OZ TM distributor team with quite a number of his TMs. so I've come to love them. Well, I did before he got on them.

Another thing to watch out for is the top of the Shock Reservoir / Body eye junction for wear. I can see You've already got wear there.

I've seen, over many years, people let such wear get that deep (On various shocks / bikes, not just TM) that then the o'ring at that point doesn't seal. A cable tie - pick your colour - around the reservoir at the final 'flat' of it at that junction, stops wear at those 2 points.
yz133rider
3/17/2018 8:28am
The pipe fill up a container big enough to fit the exhaust. Fill with 1-2 gallons of white vinegar and sone water maybe 80-20 vinegar to water worked for me. Soak for 24-36 hours. The rust comes right off. I used a scotchbrite pad while in the solution snd it came off so easily. Immediately after wipe with wd40 or it will flash rust
chillrich
3/17/2018 9:08am
I had damage to fork lug on a KYB, buddy TIG welded it for me. After some dressing with abrasives, files and sandpaper it looked good as new.

Beaeuno what do you recommend for "Contact" on ally frames? I have some textured tape on mine but maybe there is better product?
PTshox
3/18/2018 10:42am
Try calling Technical Touch or Suspension Direct for the lower lug if you want to replace it. Tig welding, as mentioned, is
also a idea.

KYB tends to offer all the parts alone. Showa on the other hand want's to sell you an assembly.
3/18/2018 4:28pm
PTshox wrote:
Try calling Technical Touch or Suspension Direct for the lower lug if you want to replace it. Tig welding, as mentioned, is also a idea. KYB...
Try calling Technical Touch or Suspension Direct for the lower lug if you want to replace it. Tig welding, as mentioned, is
also a idea.

KYB tends to offer all the parts alone. Showa on the other hand want's to sell you an assembly.
I was surprised KYB parts are so easy to source. Biggest issue is removing the lug though. I think there’s like a 20% chance the fork lug is junk after removing, as well as potentially messing up threads on the fork leg.

Good time to get coated lowers and cerakoted lugs though.
PTshox
3/18/2018 5:33pm
See if Enzo will replace just the lug for you. I think they do a lot of those.

If you try it yourself see if they will give you tips on how to do it. I suspect you have to heat it up... Locktite probably on it.
Aggie15
3/23/2018 5:35am
Thanks for the input guys! I hadn't thought about Tig welding the lug. I work with some jam up Tig welders, I might quiz them on that. @chillrich, what kind of wire did he use? Did he just build the weld up and then clean it up?

@bearuno, thanks for the great info man. I'd also like to know what kind of material you're putting in contact areas while I've got it torn down. Looking at ordering some helicopter tape unless there’s something better?

@yz133, I’m hoping to try the vinegar soon, maybe this weekend if I have some time. Clearing land again this weekend since the wife wants a house lol.

Started cleaning the frame this week, I'll get some pictures up soon. Very impressed with the mag cleaner!
yz133rider
3/23/2018 7:30am
Aggie this was just leaving the pipe in vinegar overnight. It wiped right off with a scothbrite. If you leave it long enough ive seen that it comes right off. Literally pull it out of the solution and its completely clean.

Definitly a labor saving trick. Its honestly amazing in the two times ive done it. Definitly take care to hit it with oil and wipe it down asap though as it flash rusts immediately once pulled out.

Post a reply to: 2015 TM 125 Build

The Latest