2018 Honda CRF450R Build!

11/20/2017 9:52pm Edited Date/Time 11/28/2018 1:51pm
I figured as my first post as a new member on here I would put up my 2018 CRF450R I just built and still in progress. It’s been super fun turning this bike out! First picture is the only one I have stock that I took. I did put on the Ti FMF full exhaust 4.1 here.

Some good stuff started showing up in the mail. Here is the talon carbon hubs in red with excel A60 wheels. Black spokes red nipples.

Oversized galfer tsunami ultralite rotor

Here she is with the wheels, tires, front rotor. I also put on a galfer rear wave rotor and talon Black sprocket. I went to 51T on the rear sprocket. Also put on a renthal R1 works 520 gold non o-ring chain. Kept the front sprocket at the stock 13T but used a talon front sprocket. Figured replace all for wear and tear purposes.

Picked up graphics for the bike. Was not impressed. Tried to work out a resolution with the company I bought it from but that didnt go anywhere. So I decided to pick up another set...

Here is the new graphics kit installed. Much better in my opinion. This shows the renthal Fatbar in black. Went with a CR highbend. Way more comfortable than the stock renthal bars. Also have ODI grips in black and white. Replaced the clutch lever perch with ARC as well as Brake lever. Both are black. I also had to remove the clutch switch from the bike since the new perch does not have a slot for it. Luckily the bike had butt style connectors which I simply just plugged the connectors together where the stock clutch switch harness plugged in to. No electrical work required. Acerbis Xgrip frame protectors as well in gray and black. I figured they would match the frame color okay which it looks like it did.

I put in a Rekluse Radius CX clutch as well. This bike won’t stall at all. I fell in a turn at the track the other day by mistake and the bike was still running. Hopped on and went. I love this clutch. It hooks up well too. Minimal slip when throttle pinned and need to hit a jump out of a turn. I recommend if anyone has ever considered this clutch and is on the fence about it.

Picked up a set of Neken SFS clamps. These are awesome. Definitely helps with arm pump. Depending on what i am riding these allow for adjustability for handlebar dampning. Total travel is 10mm. On track I am running about 60-65psi in the clamps. Trails I will soften it a bit. I also put on the honda progressive steering stabilizer. Put on the 24mm dampner. I am running it about half way out on total clicks. I don’t remember exact because I tuned it based on feel out riding. Helps a ton with keeping bars where you want the bike to steer. Zero head shake at pinned speeds. All around great addition for the money spent.

I finally got my seat cover installed also. Big difference over the stock slip N Slide. Seat cover is by Flo if I remember correctly. Had it riding in muddy wet conditions and it keeps my arse planted. I will say I am not an upholstry kind of guy. This thing was a pain in the ass to smooth out any wrinkles. Hands hurt from tugging on the thing. But it turned out pretty good

I had a problem with the water pump oil seal during this build. I was pretty frustrated. Had to disasseble the clutch and take off the cover and replace the seals and bearing after only 5 hours or so on the bike. I had to order the seal kit and wait a week for it to come in. None of the honda dealers carry the parts. Here is a picture of the headache. Had coolant all in the oil. Came out like chocolate milk water. Luckily nothing was screwed up. When this did happen the bike boiled over and spewed coolant out of the overflow. Took me couple days to fix between work and home life but everything went smooth. I ended up flushing the coolant system and replacing with engine ice and a 1.8 tusk radiator cap with a temp guage on it. No issues so far and bike runs nice and cool, even when turning and burning. The temp guage is nice feature

After that was all fixed I added CV4 black silicone hoses.

I bought an Athena GET ecu for the bike but the map that came on it didnt work for my bike. My mistake so I had to send it back. Athena does not have a map for the 2018 yet so I had to take the ecu back out and replace with my stock one again. I will say changing out the ECU bracket in this bike is a pain in the ass. I decided to get a Vortex X10 ECU with map switch from Tokyo Mods. I gotta say this ECU is friggin amazing. The bike is a different animal with this thing. The base power map really brings the stock motor to life. The bottom end response is seriously improved. Throttle response is terrifying. Top end pulls forever. The mid has all the torque and punch you would want from a stock motor. The best part is the bikes powerband has broadened drastically. It is super smooth and is on demand when you want it. This ecu has 10 maps on it. I have only ran 1 other map besides the base power map. The switch is set up to run the torque map on the fly. The punch off the bottom and the power delivery makes it so much fun to ride in sand. Being in Florida and everything is basically sand down here, flipping the power where needed is nice. The ECU also has fuel setting dials so you can add or remove throttle. The 3 dials adjust fuel in the bottom, mid, and top. I am at sea level and I have it set at stock fuel trims on all dials (setting 5). I put in a twin air filter too. No hesitation or popping on accel or decel. The bike revs quicker and higher with the X10 as well. Helps stay in gears avoiding extra shifts and get that extra power when needed in and out of tight turns at the track.

Here she is this past weekend at the track. She is running like a champ. I finally swapped out the swing arm and front fork guard decals as well. Also put on the carbon fiber heat shield from FMF over the megabomb. No more burning boots on the head pipe.

I ordered up the new WP spring cone valve forks and trax shock from Factory connection a few weeks ago. Here are pics of the forks and shock. Also found a picture of the forks mounted on a 450R to show how they will somewhat look like on the bike. Patiently waiting for them to show up. Decided against the air fork version. After reading up on the forks the spring version of the cone valve forks seem to be pretty good from all the reviews I have found. Factory Connections revalve should make this suspension pretty nice I am hoping. The all black forks should turn out pretty slick with the rest of the bike. Also waiting on brake and shift levers from hammerhead designs. Going with a +10mm shift lever. Hoping it helps with ease of shifting. The stock length gets a little tough as my boots are big making it tough to shift with ease. Levers will be black with red. Raptor titanium foot pegs should arrive end of this week also. I will post pics when I get these on. Thanksgiving might hold up install a cpl days but I will get pics up soon as I can. I also need to install the radiator braces by works connection that have been sitting in my garage.

|
DoubleA
11/21/2017 12:51am
This thing is a beast for sure!
Rickyisms
11/21/2017 6:37am
Such a sick bike, You have good taste.
11/21/2017 6:40am
DoubleA wrote:
This thing is a beast for sure!
Thanks man! She is blast to ride! I am contemplating doing engine work on it. Decision decisions Whistling
Skerby
11/21/2017 7:39am
What's up with the 509 logo on your old graphics?

Last I checked Florida is about as far away as you can get from that area code in the US.

The Shop

11/21/2017 8:27am
Skerby wrote:
What's up with the 509 logo on your old graphics? Last I checked Florida is about as far away as you can get from that area...
What's up with the 509 logo on your old graphics?

Last I checked Florida is about as far away as you can get from that area code in the US.
One of the many issues I had with the old graphics. Did not turn out as requested and the fitment of the graphics was terrible. Tried to resolve the issues with them but never heard back after I asked for the final prints of the proofs I originally approved. Regardless they did not look like what I envisioned originally so I went with the newer ones instead
YZfan1230
11/21/2017 12:50pm
Definitely a nice build! Normally not a fan of Hondas but this looks trick. The newer graphics you have really make the bike look factory. And damn those black rims look amazing
mxb2
11/21/2017 2:06pm
I figured as my first post as a new member on here I would put up my 2018 CRF450R I just built and still in progress...
I figured as my first post as a new member on here I would put up my 2018 CRF450R I just built and still in progress. It’s been super fun turning this bike out! First picture is the only one I have stock that I took. I did put on the Ti FMF full exhaust 4.1 here.

Some good stuff started showing up in the mail. Here is the talon carbon hubs in red with excel A60 wheels. Black spokes red nipples.

Oversized galfer tsunami ultralite rotor

Here she is with the wheels, tires, front rotor. I also put on a galfer rear wave rotor and talon Black sprocket. I went to 51T on the rear sprocket. Also put on a renthal R1 works 520 gold non o-ring chain. Kept the front sprocket at the stock 13T but used a talon front sprocket. Figured replace all for wear and tear purposes.

Picked up graphics for the bike. Was not impressed. Tried to work out a resolution with the company I bought it from but that didnt go anywhere. So I decided to pick up another set...

Here is the new graphics kit installed. Much better in my opinion. This shows the renthal Fatbar in black. Went with a CR highbend. Way more comfortable than the stock renthal bars. Also have ODI grips in black and white. Replaced the clutch lever perch with ARC as well as Brake lever. Both are black. I also had to remove the clutch switch from the bike since the new perch does not have a slot for it. Luckily the bike had butt style connectors which I simply just plugged the connectors together where the stock clutch switch harness plugged in to. No electrical work required. Acerbis Xgrip frame protectors as well in gray and black. I figured they would match the frame color okay which it looks like it did.

I put in a Rekluse Radius CX clutch as well. This bike won’t stall at all. I fell in a turn at the track the other day by mistake and the bike was still running. Hopped on and went. I love this clutch. It hooks up well too. Minimal slip when throttle pinned and need to hit a jump out of a turn. I recommend if anyone has ever considered this clutch and is on the fence about it.

Picked up a set of Neken SFS clamps. These are awesome. Definitely helps with arm pump. Depending on what i am riding these allow for adjustability for handlebar dampning. Total travel is 10mm. On track I am running about 60-65psi in the clamps. Trails I will soften it a bit. I also put on the honda progressive steering stabilizer. Put on the 24mm dampner. I am running it about half way out on total clicks. I don’t remember exact because I tuned it based on feel out riding. Helps a ton with keeping bars where you want the bike to steer. Zero head shake at pinned speeds. All around great addition for the money spent.

I finally got my seat cover installed also. Big difference over the stock slip N Slide. Seat cover is by Flo if I remember correctly. Had it riding in muddy wet conditions and it keeps my arse planted. I will say I am not an upholstry kind of guy. This thing was a pain in the ass to smooth out any wrinkles. Hands hurt from tugging on the thing. But it turned out pretty good

I had a problem with the water pump oil seal during this build. I was pretty frustrated. Had to disasseble the clutch and take off the cover and replace the seals and bearing after only 5 hours or so on the bike. I had to order the seal kit and wait a week for it to come in. None of the honda dealers carry the parts. Here is a picture of the headache. Had coolant all in the oil. Came out like chocolate milk water. Luckily nothing was screwed up. When this did happen the bike boiled over and spewed coolant out of the overflow. Took me couple days to fix between work and home life but everything went smooth. I ended up flushing the coolant system and replacing with engine ice and a 1.8 tusk radiator cap with a temp guage on it. No issues so far and bike runs nice and cool, even when turning and burning. The temp guage is nice feature

After that was all fixed I added CV4 black silicone hoses.

I bought an Athena GET ecu for the bike but the map that came on it didnt work for my bike. My mistake so I had to send it back. Athena does not have a map for the 2018 yet so I had to take the ecu back out and replace with my stock one again. I will say changing out the ECU bracket in this bike is a pain in the ass. I decided to get a Vortex X10 ECU with map switch from Tokyo Mods. I gotta say this ECU is friggin amazing. The bike is a different animal with this thing. The base power map really brings the stock motor to life. The bottom end response is seriously improved. Throttle response is terrifying. Top end pulls forever. The mid has all the torque and punch you would want from a stock motor. The best part is the bikes powerband has broadened drastically. It is super smooth and is on demand when you want it. This ecu has 10 maps on it. I have only ran 1 other map besides the base power map. The switch is set up to run the torque map on the fly. The punch off the bottom and the power delivery makes it so much fun to ride in sand. Being in Florida and everything is basically sand down here, flipping the power where needed is nice. The ECU also has fuel setting dials so you can add or remove throttle. The 3 dials adjust fuel in the bottom, mid, and top. I am at sea level and I have it set at stock fuel trims on all dials (setting 5). I put in a twin air filter too. No hesitation or popping on accel or decel. The bike revs quicker and higher with the X10 as well. Helps stay in gears avoiding extra shifts and get that extra power when needed in and out of tight turns at the track.

Here she is this past weekend at the track. She is running like a champ. I finally swapped out the swing arm and front fork guard decals as well. Also put on the carbon fiber heat shield from FMF over the megabomb. No more burning boots on the head pipe.

I ordered up the new WP spring cone valve forks and trax shock from Factory connection a few weeks ago. Here are pics of the forks and shock. Also found a picture of the forks mounted on a 450R to show how they will somewhat look like on the bike. Patiently waiting for them to show up. Decided against the air fork version. After reading up on the forks the spring version of the cone valve forks seem to be pretty good from all the reviews I have found. Factory Connections revalve should make this suspension pretty nice I am hoping. The all black forks should turn out pretty slick with the rest of the bike. Also waiting on brake and shift levers from hammerhead designs. Going with a +10mm shift lever. Hoping it helps with ease of shifting. The stock length gets a little tough as my boots are big making it tough to shift with ease. Levers will be black with red. Raptor titanium foot pegs should arrive end of this week also. I will post pics when I get these on. Thanksgiving might hold up install a cpl days but I will get pics up soon as I can. I also need to install the radiator braces by works connection that have been sitting in my garage.

Sick build man, what fuel you using with the Fmf and vortex? Gearing?. What made you choose Fmf over the yosh? How did the bike compare to the stocker powerwise? How does the sound compare? Thanks.
Giygas
Fantasy
1349th
11/21/2017 2:27pm
Jesus Christ, dude. Not going to ask your personal business on a forum, but I wish I had whatever job you have! Haha

Excellent build thread
11/21/2017 10:47pm Edited Date/Time 11/21/2017 10:49pm
mxb2 wrote:
Sick build man, what fuel you using with the Fmf and vortex? Gearing?. What made you choose Fmf over the yosh? How did the bike compare...
Sick build man, what fuel you using with the Fmf and vortex? Gearing?. What made you choose Fmf over the yosh? How did the bike compare to the stocker powerwise? How does the sound compare? Thanks.
Thanks! I am using pump 93 octane in the bike at the moment. I haven’t been able to find quality race fuel locally where I am at in Florida. If I could get my hands on some VP U4.4 I am sure the power would be much stronger. The Vortex has 5 maps tuned for race fuel but I haven’t used them due to race fuel being slim. As far as the stock bike with no exhaust or ECU upgrade, the bike is fast as is from factory. The stock exhaust didn’t sound bad....

I chose the FMF system after what I read based on reviews I have found online. From what I gathered the FMF system has better bottom end power than the Yosh system. The Yosh system has better mid to top power. I personally like my bikes to pack torque on the bottom vs top end pull. Most of the tracks/trails I ride are tight turns or small straights so having the power in the top end range wouldn’t really deliver power where needed based on tracks/trails here in FL. I went up from stock 49T in the rear to 51T. The front sprocket I kept at the factory 13T. The bike can literally wheelie in every gear with no clutching with this set up. Simply put, its a damn rocket from idle. When the stock exhaust and ecu were on the bike, getting the front end up or launching out of tight turns required extra shifting or dumping the clutch which I wasn’t too fond of. Now I can rev a little higher in a lower gear in a tight turn and not use the clutch at all and launch out with a quick rap of the throttle.

Sound wise, the combo of the FMF system, vortex ECU and the twin air filter...it sounds mean. Loud, deep and sounds amazing.
11/21/2017 11:12pm
I am waiting on a few more parts to come in. Hammerhead brake pedal and shift lever and raptor Ti pegs. USPS has my parts on detour the last week. From CA, to NJ, to AL etc. It is a long story lol. Once they come in, I will throw them on and detail the entire bike and take a ton of photos. None of the pics I have at the moment do much justice to show all the small details.

I talked to Factory Connection today to check status of my WP kit suspension and after 2 weeks, nothing has come in yet Dizzy . Really wish WP would get this stuff shipped to FC!
mxb2
11/22/2017 6:14am
mxb2 wrote:
Sick build man, what fuel you using with the Fmf and vortex? Gearing?. What made you choose Fmf over the yosh? How did the bike compare...
Thanks! I am using pump 93 octane in the bike at the moment. I haven’t been able to find quality race fuel locally where I am...
Thanks! I am using pump 93 octane in the bike at the moment. I haven’t been able to find quality race fuel locally where I am at in Florida. If I could get my hands on some VP U4.4 I am sure the power would be much stronger. The Vortex has 5 maps tuned for race fuel but I haven’t used them due to race fuel being slim. As far as the stock bike with no exhaust or ECU upgrade, the bike is fast as is from factory. The stock exhaust didn’t sound bad....

I chose the FMF system after what I read based on reviews I have found online. From what I gathered the FMF system has better bottom end power than the Yosh system. The Yosh system has better mid to top power. I personally like my bikes to pack torque on the bottom vs top end pull. Most of the tracks/trails I ride are tight turns or small straights so having the power in the top end range wouldn’t really deliver power where needed based on tracks/trails here in FL. I went up from stock 49T in the rear to 51T. The front sprocket I kept at the factory 13T. The bike can literally wheelie in every gear with no clutching with this set up. Simply put, its a damn rocket from idle. When the stock exhaust and ecu were on the bike, getting the front end up or launching out of tight turns required extra shifting or dumping the clutch which I wasn’t too fond of. Now I can rev a little higher in a lower gear in a tight turn and not use the clutch at all and launch out with a quick rap of the throttle.

Sound wise, the combo of the FMF system, vortex ECU and the twin air filter...it sounds mean. Loud, deep and sounds amazing.
Good info man,. Race fuel will make it even better, depending on your location( vp, renegade, dragon,ti lube,ets) make great fuels. Find a buddy go halfers on a pallet. Shipped to you. The shipping cost won't kill you lol, and it's cheaper the more you buy.
11/22/2017 9:43am
Raptor Titanium pegs showed up today Woohoo ...lovin the color in these things! They seem razor sharp..hopefully they do not chew up my riding boots lol

11/22/2017 9:46am
mxb2 wrote:
Good info man,. Race fuel will make it even better, depending on your location( vp, renegade, dragon,ti lube,ets) make great fuels. Find a buddy go halfers...
Good info man,. Race fuel will make it even better, depending on your location( vp, renegade, dragon,ti lube,ets) make great fuels. Find a buddy go halfers on a pallet. Shipped to you. The shipping cost won't kill you lol, and it's cheaper the more you buy.
I’ll check out the other fuels you mentioned and see if I can find some locally. Everywhere I found online, hazmat fees are $100+ and go up from there as gallon quantity increases. There is a sunoco about 15 miles from my house that sells 100 octane race fuel. Not sure how good quality it is though considering its out of a pump
mxb2
11/22/2017 10:23am
mxb2 wrote:
Good info man,. Race fuel will make it even better, depending on your location( vp, renegade, dragon,ti lube,ets) make great fuels. Find a buddy go halfers...
I’ll check out the other fuels you mentioned and see if I can find some locally. Everywhere I found online, hazmat fees are $100+ and go...
I’ll check out the other fuels you mentioned and see if I can find some locally. Everywhere I found online, hazmat fees are $100+ and go up from there as gallon quantity increases. There is a sunoco about 15 miles from my house that sells 100 octane race fuel. Not sure how good quality it is though considering its out of a pump
Sealed fuel in cans is cleaner more consistent. Most pump fuels are decent but depending when they get the fuel, the dirt goes to the bottom of their tanks. I'm best time to buy,ask when the restock. Then buy. Sealed cans is a safe bet.
mxb2
11/22/2017 10:24am Edited Date/Time 11/22/2017 11:27am
Raptor Titanium pegs showed up today :woohoo: ...lovin the color in these things! They seem razor sharp..hopefully they do not chew up my riding boots lol...
Raptor Titanium pegs showed up today Woohoo ...lovin the color in these things! They seem razor sharp..hopefully they do not chew up my riding boots lol

I have those on all my bikes, great pegs. If ya can afford raptors, more boot soles arent that expensive. Lol.
ledger
11/23/2017 3:28pm
Whoever did your first graphic kit should step away, far away. Very nice bike btw.
kellyraz
11/24/2017 12:33am
ledger wrote:
Whoever did your first graphic kit should step away, far away. Very nice bike btw.
Agree ! Workshop who done his 2nd graphics are sick at them ! Easily best here in NZ
11/24/2017 6:55am
ledger wrote:
kellyraz wrote:
Agree ! Workshop who done his 2nd graphics are sick at them ! Easily best here in NZ
Workshop out of New Zealand are top notch...I have never ordered over seas for my bike before and these guys turned them around super quick. Friendly staff and go out of their way for the customer. Highly recommend them to anyone looking for a nice set of custom graphics. The template they used for the 2018 is perfect fit
11/24/2017 3:37pm
Raptor Ti pegs, works connection radiator braces and hammerhead designs foot controls finally installed. Went with the oversized brake pedal tip and upgraded to the pro spring return kit as well. Shift lever went with a +10mm. Foot controls are a lot more comfortable and adjustability is much better than stock. Hammerhead’s stuff is top notch CNC work. The works connection rad braces were a bit of a pain to install. Had to break out the dremmel and fab the rad louvres a bit to clear the mounting bolt at the top of the rad brace. I like the fact they are somewhat hidden by the shroud plastics. These things are solid now! Also took some more photos...I am getting the itch to add some carbon fiber bling to the bike...CMT carbon looks like they have some nice add onsSillyWhistling

11/26/2017 10:02pm
So you weren't satisfied with the Showa suspension? Did you consider having it revalved by FC? Will be interesting to see how much better you think the WP suspension is.
TeamGreen
11/29/2017 8:17am
Drop me a pm & I'll find ya a good place to get VP near you.

Manny
dylanv21
11/29/2017 7:45pm
If you want to sell your stock forks, let me know. I may be wanting them!
11/30/2017 2:51pm
So you weren't satisfied with the Showa suspension? Did you consider having it revalved by FC? Will be interesting to see how much better you think...
So you weren't satisfied with the Showa suspension? Did you consider having it revalved by FC? Will be interesting to see how much better you think the WP suspension is.
Hey guys, been MIA for a couple days...work is slammed and Been trying to deal with purchasing a toy hauler RV. Anyway, I got the WP suspension as I heard really good things about their kit set up. I like the looks also. The spring rates in the stock shock and forks are fine. Im just not too crazy how the suspension goes ass high when railing burms. Ive adjusted the forks and the shock trying to find the sweet spot but i just cant get it where i want it. Im sure a revalve would make a huge improvement but id rather get Kit than a revalve. I may consider having my stock stuff revalved for trail riding specific in the future but its just a thought at this point
11/30/2017 2:54pm
dylanv21 wrote:
My WP kit comes in wednesday...I’ll post pictures and updates after I get it all installed. I will keep you posted, might be willing to sell the stock stuff and work something out with you
dylanv21
12/3/2017 5:02pm
dylanv21 wrote:
My WP kit comes in wednesday...I’ll post pictures and updates after I get it all installed. I will keep you posted, might be willing to sell...
My WP kit comes in wednesday...I’ll post pictures and updates after I get it all installed. I will keep you posted, might be willing to sell the stock stuff and work something out with you
If you decide, cool. Let me know. Buying an 04 CR125 and want newer forks.
12/6/2017 11:13am
WP cone valve forks are in!Woohoo UPS screwed up delivering my shock today so it will be in tomorrow. Will post pics of tue cone valve forks this evening when I get home. These things look pretty damn amazingGrinning
12/6/2017 5:23pm
WP cone valves installed! Sorry for the crap picture. It’s dark and my garage is a F’n disaster lol. First impressions...they look amazing. Definitely finishes off the look I envisioned. Just laying some force on the forks I can tell a huge improvement over stock from the get go. These are smooth as butter. Shock going in tomorrow night as long as UPS comes through on late delivery. Then I am off to the track this weekend to dial it all in.

Post a reply to: 2018 Honda CRF450R Build!

The Latest