2019 Husqvarna FX350

Monk
Edited Date/Time 1/10/2019 1:07pm
Coming off a well used 16 350xcf, I've upgraded to a new 19 Husqvarna FX350. I wanted to stay on KTM but my local shop made some staffing changes and sold 50% of their ownership to a larger car dealership buyer. When I went to the bargaining table I would have paid full MSRP+ so I had to make the change. Probably one of the best experiences I've been though at a shop buying my new Husky.

I do race AA/Pro here in Canada with some success...

Old KTM with 450+hrs on her. Fresh of a recent race where I won my first Pro race.

New Husky

|
Monk
12/8/2018 1:32pm
First thing was get the KTM clean and start swapping the suspension over. I run Dal Soggio Spheres in the 4cs forks (standard in the 16 models). I have extra sets of AER forks but not a lot of time testing so the Spheres have been my go-to so far...

The shock has been reworked by my local tuner with MX-TECH hardware, including the triple adjuster, TANK reservoir and X-TRIG...

Monk
12/8/2018 1:35pm
Ride Engineering Stabilizer with Honda HPSD is used. I also have a Scotts setup, but prefer this as it seems to help right where I need it. We do some higher speed desert stuff but not significant enough to need the Scotts.

Also have the RE bar mounts which are so much better then the stock KTM units...

Monk
12/8/2018 1:38pm
Next I mounted the Husqvarna (TrailTech) fan kit. We have plenty of races over the 90°f mark, and some also incredibly technical sections that will get the bike extremely hot. I also believe in the fan for longevity as I always run high hours on my bikes.. She's a tight fit with the stock tank, so hopefully the IMS unit will fit.

Monk
12/8/2018 1:39pm
Cool Husqvarna linkage guard..

The Shop

Monk
12/8/2018 1:41pm
Larger brake pedal tip. I do have a billet unit coming but wanted something slightly more robust till it shows up.
Monk
12/8/2018 1:43pm
Like any woods guy, I cut my bars down from the stock 32in down to 30.5in.

I also installed the more aggressive black throttle cam
Monk
12/8/2018 1:46pm
Next was a little more invasive work. I took my Ricky Stator out of my old 350 and installed it in the new bike. We run some night races and I like big lights. The stock stator just isn't going to cut it. I'm getting 80+watts out of this unit. I also installed a Anti-Gravity AG-801 battery so there is always plenty of juice on tap.

Monk
12/8/2018 1:49pm
Running the Husky Factory Skidplate. Looks and fits great but question its durability. My guy over at LimeNine put some backgrounds together until I finish my sponsor list for 2019. I've only got one break-in ride done as it's been below freezing, but so far the bike is definitely an improvement over my 16.

BR8ES
12/8/2018 2:03pm
Nice bike Hans, looking forward to feedback and such.
PTshox
12/8/2018 2:26pm
Curious how you like it vs the 2016 KTM 350 XCF
12/8/2018 2:38pm
Well done on the first Pro Race win!. Enjoy your new bike.
lumpy790
12/9/2018 10:31am
Surprised the ignition from 16-18 fits on the new 2019 ..... bonus!
Monk
12/9/2018 12:42pm
lumpy790 wrote:
Surprised the ignition from 16-18 fits on the new 2019 ..... bonus!
Yes, direct swap. Moto'ed down for a bit today and everything was in working order...

So far I'm impressed with the FX350. Two things that really stand out with the new 19 are the Traction Control and the shifting.

The TC is worse then cheating. I've raced the last two seasons without TC, against others with TC and I can't believe in how much better the bike works. Especially towards the more extreme end of bad conditions. Anything such as slick roots or loose hillclimbs (and in my case ice and snow), the bike just tracks effortlessly. Less clutch work, less throttle control...just kinda gas it and go.

The shifting is so so smooth. Under load or decel the shifting is precision at its best. No missed shifts, no false neutrals, nothing but perfect shifting.

PTshox
12/13/2018 3:37pm
I'm curious about what you did to the 16 350xcf while putting that many hrs on the motor? Did you do it all with the stock crank or have did you replace the crank/rebuild it along the way? If so how many hrs before the crank and top ends?
Monk
12/13/2018 3:49pm
PTshox wrote:
I'm curious about what you did to the 16 350xcf while putting that many hrs on the motor? Did you do it all with the stock...
I'm curious about what you did to the 16 350xcf while putting that many hrs on the motor? Did you do it all with the stock crank or have did you replace the crank/rebuild it along the way? If so how many hrs before the crank and top ends?
The motor is 100% stock and original. Original crank, piston, timing chain, valves, head, cylinder, bearings, cams, etc...Surprisingly still the stock clutch too (though I run a Rekluse and I'm easy in clutches)... I did open the ignition cover to swap a new Ricky Stator HO stator because I run some pretty serious lights.

From day one I also run a fan set at 175°f. Just a healthy diet of fresh air filters and Rotella 15/40. I also use a non-ethanol 92 pump fuel.

Most everything is documented on TT including testing, reviews, training, practice, race results, etc...
Monk
12/13/2018 5:27pm
PTshox wrote:
Curious how you like it vs the 2016 KTM 350 XCF
So far, better.. But I've only put 4hrs on it.

My opinion is the 16 was such a new model, and completely different from the 15 model that (at the time) I had to develop alot of new settings. I was really involved in the process, lots of research, lots of watching videos, etc to see what others were doing. 17 came..The 19 is a new model but not as significant in change so alot of what I got to work on my 16 transfered over quite easily. The only thing I've been tweaking is the shock as the 19 Husky feels tall in the rear with my current shock. A few clicks of my HS, and slowing down my rebound, as well as adding a bit more sag have produced some really rewarding results.

Outside the shock, everything else is quite familiar. The DDS clutch is a bit less precise then the 6 spring, as well I hate the Magura clutch blade. No matter where I move the perch my fingers don't feel right with this blade.I will be swapping my older Brembo unit solely because of this.

The motor feels a bit lethargic. I assume more time will loosen it up. Also, the conditions have been extremely slippery with snow and ice so I've only been using map 1 and with the TC on.

Rekluse is installed but I debated as the bike doesn't flame out like the previous gens did.

The front feels a bit heavy but I chalk it up to me running the spring forks and sag adjustments...

Overall, pretty dam happy. My lap times in current conditions are on par with my lap times in the best conditions...
Monk
12/13/2018 5:45pm
Previous lap times

Current lap time...

Monk
12/14/2018 5:45pm
Moto'ed down hard today for nearly 2.5hrs...I spend a couple laps just chasing down so new lap times. Took a break to saw in some new sections of trail and then went back out chasing a buddy around. The bike has started to loosen up and the motor performance is near flawless.

A few notes:

-The bike starts better then the previous gen including the low hour 18 behind mine.
-The motor is more flameout resistant and since the initial 2hrs of break in hasn't flamed out once.
-Motor is as loud as previous gen.
-Chassis seems more sensitive to changes including fork height and sag adjustments.
-Brakes still squeak when warm.
-Front end feels heavier then both the 18 Husqvarna and KTM. I attribute this to the new chassis being more designed around the AER forks where as the 16 came originally with spring forks and had the AER adapted.
-Bike feels better in the air then my 16.
-Bike feels better in ruts.
-Though it probably doesn't mean much to most, I really really like the chassis when it comes to jumping logs. Alot more stability and confidence inspiring.
-My right boot seems to want to hook under the right rear side panel more then my 16.

TeamGreen
12/15/2018 9:12am
Nice!

I'm contemplating the same kind of project w/ the FX450. I'm gonna build an MX bike and a Baja bike from the FX. I'm looking to build a "Do-it-ALL" off-reader from ine core model.

The snow-shots are epic!
Monk
12/15/2018 9:16am
TeamGreen wrote:
Nice! I'm contemplating the same kind of project w/ the FX450. I'm gonna build an MX bike and a Baja bike from the FX. I'm looking...
Nice!

I'm contemplating the same kind of project w/ the FX450. I'm gonna build an MX bike and a Baja bike from the FX. I'm looking to build a "Do-it-ALL" off-reader from ine core model.

The snow-shots are epic!
Regarding a 450, there is a good article on TT where a guy put a 6th gear in from a EXC. I really considered the 450 route but most of what we ride is 2nd/3rd gear stuff...
TeamGreen
12/15/2018 9:26am
TeamGreen wrote:
Nice! I'm contemplating the same kind of project w/ the FX450. I'm gonna build an MX bike and a Baja bike from the FX. I'm looking...
Nice!

The snow-shots are epic!
Monk wrote:
Regarding a 450, there is a good article on TT where a guy put a 6th gear in from a EXC. I really considered the 450...
Regarding a 450, there is a good article on TT where a guy put a 6th gear in from a EXC. I really considered the 450 route but most of what we ride is 2nd/3rd gear stuff...
Since I am gonna ride it in Baja in February, I'm considering the 6sp...however, I'm only going to "go there" if the 6sp is avail as an affordable kit form Husky. Also, I'm hearing from people who've ridden the 5sp that it works just fine in Baja. There's just one problem, I've ridden a 6sp FE350 in Baja and I love the unbelievable economy of using that gear set on long runs.
Monk
12/15/2018 7:20pm
Finally gave it a wash today... No shit this bike take 30% longer to wash then any other bike. So many bends in the plastic, lips underneath the rear fender, ribbing under the front fender etc... And if you use the stock exhaust you can't put a wash plug in due to the perforated cone...
Monk
12/15/2018 7:23pm
TeamGreen wrote:
Nice!

The snow-shots are epic!
Monk wrote:
Regarding a 450, there is a good article on TT where a guy put a 6th gear in from a EXC. I really considered the 450...
TeamGreen wrote:
Since I am gonna ride it in Baja in February, I'm considering the 6sp...however, I'm only going to "go there" if the 6sp is avail as...
Since I am gonna ride it in Baja in February, I'm considering the 6sp...however, I'm only going to "go there" if the 6sp is avail as an affordable kit form Husky. Also, I'm hearing from people who've ridden the 5sp that it works just fine in Baja. There's just one problem, I've ridden a 6sp FE350 in Baja and I love the unbelievable economy of using that gear set on long runs.
I don't see Husky releasing any 6spd kit... I think my biggest complaint with a 350 in the sand would the lack of torque...
BR8ES
12/15/2018 7:29pm
Maybe as a double AA, but for most lads it is probably about perfect, yes?
Monk
12/15/2018 7:33pm
BR8ES wrote:
Maybe as a double AA, but for most lads it is probably about perfect, yes?
Oh the 350 IMO is about as perfect platform as I think you can get. I also think 250fs are extremely underrated as offroad machines. If I was 30lbs lighter I would jump on a 250f again in a heartbeat.

I would just think a 450 in deep, power robbing whooped out sand would be a bit easier to ride...
BR8ES
12/15/2018 7:34pm
I trust in your opinion and such Hans. Appreciate the feedback.
Monk
12/20/2018 8:18pm
13hr update...

Fookin love this bike! Everything I look for in a bike (which I felt my previous KTM 350 had) is in this FX350. The subtle chassis and motor updates fit my riding style to a absolute tee.

Couple points:
-Bike vibrates more then others
-New seat design is way more comfortable
-Bike starts immediately (except once) and has not once flamed out
-After a recent wash the bike took an extreme amount of time to start. Hasn't done it the last time though
-Airbox is air tight and considering the muddy conditions looks near new
-No matter what adjustments I make, the front end still feels heavy but it sticks to everything
-Chain has needed one adjustment since new
-Two oil changes and the oil comes out cleaner then I remember my 16 did. No metal burrs or debris
-Still not a fan of the Magura clutch
-Maybe just a 'feeling', but the Husky seems to like less rebound then the KTM
-Slimmer body-work allows me to really get up on the seat
-I really like the bike entering and through corners but she seems to want to drift outwards. I know it's setup related but it's been noticeable since day 1
-White plastic looks rougher as time goes one
-Bike is super quite
-Factory Husky skidplate is sleek as hell but not very tough.

Few items on the list:
-I ordered up another airbox cover so I can drill it out and see if I can make gains without increasing the maintenance schedule.
-Have a bump seat coming
-Looking into a stiffer Belleville Spring for more clamping force
-I only have Size 11 feet but the stock shifter feels short so I'm sourcing other options

12/21/2018 4:31am
Cant wait to pick up my new Fc 250 next friday. Smile Perfect christmas gift to myself..

Post a reply to: 2019 Husqvarna FX350

The Latest