96 cr125 build

Edited Date/Time 2/14/2020 2:54pm
Finally getting around to building my 96 CR 125. I bought the rolling chassis a few years ago and it was in pretty good condition got the frame powder coated right away and since then it has been sitting I bought a 94 donor bike to supply the engine.. My overall goal for the bike is to make it look like a rolled onto a starting line and 96 then was put away for a long time. no newer anodized parts and no new front number plate and Fender. Just a few minor upgrades Such as a reed cage and pc exhaust system.

Currently looking for a pc works pipe.

Hope to have this bike done within the next month or so

|
wcfred
11/27/2018 11:06am
Do you have the paint code for the frame. I’m doing a 96 as well and I’m having trouble finding the correct paint.

The Shop

11/27/2018 12:05pm
wcfred wrote:
Do you have the paint code for the frame. I’m doing a 96 as well and I’m having trouble finding the correct paint.
I’m sorry I do not know the exact code. I just bought white powdercoat from prismatic powders
11/27/2018 12:25pm
wcfred wrote:
I’m sorry I do not know the exact code. I just bought white powdercoat from prismatic powders
11/27/2018 2:07pm Edited Date/Time 11/27/2018 2:07pm
HELP NEEDED!
So I’m having a huge internal dilemma with the seat cover! So like I’ve said I’m trying to make this bike look like it rolled onto the starting line in 1996 with no newer looking parts I am not going for a full on OEM build but maybe like the bike was raced in 96 and then put away. So the dilemma is I just ordered throttle Jockey seat covers that look OEM but I did not know that the seat covers are gripper seats. They look awesome if they were going on a newer bike but i feel the “gripper” look is too modern looking for what I’m going for. It is hard to find good seats for these bikes and i know that evo has good replicas but they are in a legal battle over the Use of the Honda trademark “CR” and cant sell any seats. And i am quite scared to order the eBay seat covers in fear of them looking terrible. Does anyone know of a reliable place to order oem looking seatcovers for this bike!?

i am also not too fond of the big “throttle jockey” logo on the seat.
Brad460
Fantasy
736th
11/27/2018 3:45pm
When I restored my 91 CR125 the biggest problem I had was finding a seat cover that matched the OEM. Like you I wanted it to look exactly like it rolled off the showroom floor.

I ordered a couple different ones off eBay and from Evo-MX and never was happy with any of them....

Anyways, you might end up doing the same and settling for the closest match.
Banana_oil
11/27/2018 9:43pm
Mastercross.net have tecnosel seat covers, they are the most period correct you can get
11/27/2018 11:58pm
Tecnosel are of a higher quality finish than the EVO ones IMO... Fit is not the best but.

I managed to score a brand new oem seat a few weeks back so keep looking.
11/28/2018 7:18am
I had an '96 back in the day, and was one of my favorites! Looks like you found a great base bike to start with, and can not wait to see your progress! All I did to mine back then was a ProCircuit pipe/silencer, and fine tuned the jetting...it was a rocket!

Interesting side note- when ProCircuit released new pipes for the '96, I bought one right away. My friend worked for JMS Performance and he wanted to do a dyno comparison on the PC vs. stock Honda pipes, so I took my pipe up there and we ran the tests. In the end, the power curves almost mirrored on top of each other! But, the PC pipe had a slight edge on top end, as it had an extra 500 rpms where the stocker fell off. Conclusion was, Honda produced a very high performance pipe and there really wasn't much more PC could do to improve on!

I've posted this before..but here was my ride back then:

11/28/2018 11:58am
HELP NEEDED! So I’m having a huge internal dilemma with the seat cover! So like I’ve said I’m trying to make this bike look like it...
HELP NEEDED!
So I’m having a huge internal dilemma with the seat cover! So like I’ve said I’m trying to make this bike look like it rolled onto the starting line in 1996 with no newer looking parts I am not going for a full on OEM build but maybe like the bike was raced in 96 and then put away. So the dilemma is I just ordered throttle Jockey seat covers that look OEM but I did not know that the seat covers are gripper seats. They look awesome if they were going on a newer bike but i feel the “gripper” look is too modern looking for what I’m going for. It is hard to find good seats for these bikes and i know that evo has good replicas but they are in a legal battle over the Use of the Honda trademark “CR” and cant sell any seats. And i am quite scared to order the eBay seat covers in fear of them looking terrible. Does anyone know of a reliable place to order oem looking seatcovers for this bike!?

i am also not too fond of the big “throttle jockey” logo on the seat.
Looks like the TJ cover is a 97 replica. Mxracer has the 96 design you need.
11/28/2018 12:30pm
mxracer106 wrote:
I had an '96 back in the day, and was one of my favorites! Looks like you found a great base bike to start with, and...
I had an '96 back in the day, and was one of my favorites! Looks like you found a great base bike to start with, and can not wait to see your progress! All I did to mine back then was a ProCircuit pipe/silencer, and fine tuned the jetting...it was a rocket!

Interesting side note- when ProCircuit released new pipes for the '96, I bought one right away. My friend worked for JMS Performance and he wanted to do a dyno comparison on the PC vs. stock Honda pipes, so I took my pipe up there and we ran the tests. In the end, the power curves almost mirrored on top of each other! But, the PC pipe had a slight edge on top end, as it had an extra 500 rpms where the stocker fell off. Conclusion was, Honda produced a very high performance pipe and there really wasn't much more PC could do to improve on!

Ughh she’s beautiful!!!!
Moto Mofo
11/30/2018 8:12am Edited Date/Time 11/30/2018 8:20am
I haven’t found a good source for a ‘96 OEM replica seat cover yet. Many of the cheaper aftermarket covers are a darker red and don’t match. As mentioned above, Mastercross is probably the best bet. Stay away from the guy in Florida who is slinging all the seat covers, including fake Tecnosel covers, all over Facebook (his stuff comes from Evo MX, and it’s cheaper to just buy it directly from them in the UK).
Shawn142
12/8/2018 4:12pm
mxracer106 wrote:
I had an '96 back in the day, and was one of my favorites! Looks like you found a great base bike to start with, and...

I worked with a group that had a dyno through my competitive riding in the 90s. We pretty much stuck to CRs especially in 125s. We never got good results with aftermarket pipes ever. What little they might gain in one area they took away massively from another. The stock pipe and silencer always gave the most usable power.
12/8/2018 5:41pm
mxracer106 wrote:

Shawn142 wrote:
I worked with a group that had a dyno through my competitive riding in the 90s. We pretty much stuck to CRs especially in 125s. We...
I worked with a group that had a dyno through my competitive riding in the 90s. We pretty much stuck to CRs especially in 125s. We never got good results with aftermarket pipes ever. What little they might gain in one area they took away massively from another. The stock pipe and silencer always gave the most usable power.
I’m sure it is. I’ve heard a lot of stock Honda pipes are better over most aftermarket brands. But I want a pro circuit for more of the look aspects I’m not going to competitively race this bike so I don’t need the absolute most out of it.
1/16/2019 6:24pm
Been a while but I have been working slowly on this bike. Got some plastics and returned the one throttle jockey set of seat covers for another. I am much more pleased about them this time. But it dosnt have the 96 “HONDA” but it’s the best I could get so I don’t mind too much. More to come soon I hope to get the engine done soon as well I also went with a newer crf clutch lever system as I wanted the on the fly adjustment but not the look of a new aftermarket lever

2/13/2019 4:28pm
Welp throttle jockey was willing to put the white “Honda” on the side so got another seat cover! I won’t be removing the old one since it’s brand new and I have another 90s seat base to put it on! Very very nice replica seat cover!
2/14/2019 9:32pm
New seat cover looks nice! I ordered one from jkracing and it turned up recently, it was a lot different to original. So now i am on the hunt for a good replica but it looks like you have saved me the hard work. Did throttle jockey do the Nuclear red section in plain vinyl or gripper material?

Also how much?
2/15/2019 1:48am
New seat cover looks nice! I ordered one from jkracing and it turned up recently, it was a lot different to original. So now i am...
New seat cover looks nice! I ordered one from jkracing and it turned up recently, it was a lot different to original. So now i am on the hunt for a good replica but it looks like you have saved me the hard work. Did throttle jockey do the Nuclear red section in plain vinyl or gripper material?

Also how much?
It is a type of gripper that is different than the stock vinyl but it is done very well. It was nearly 90$ total a little pricy but it will really add that oem look to a replica build
2/17/2019 5:10pm
Getting a bit farther. I’m definitely going to need to do more on the fuel tank. Either buy a clarke or sand it more and hopefully get it back to white.
3/4/2019 5:35pm
Getting closer and closer. Switched the seat cover to a 96 accurate cover. Still looking for a pc header. Also just pulled off the take to try and whiten it up. Engine should be done in the next month or so

5/5/2019 12:37pm
Sorry i didn’t post more of the build process but I got the bike 96% done?. Just waiting for a v force reed system and a few more decals

garagedog
Fantasy
722nd
5/5/2019 8:32pm
Tell us how you got the tank looking so good. Appreciate it!
5/5/2019 8:51pm
garagedog wrote:
Tell us how you got the tank looking so good. Appreciate it!
Lots of wet sanding from 400 grit to 2000 grit sand paper. I also tried a couple of other techniques like putting scrubbing bubbles bleach all over it then wrapping it in plastic food wrap and letting it sit for a few days. Made it slightly more white. I also tried some salon care 40 with similar results. But I needed more sun and it was the dead of winter in Illinois when I tried it so I resorted to the sanding.
5/16/2019 4:56pm
Looks awesome! Best CR125 ever made.
Where did you get the graphics from?
Thank you so much! And decal works did them for me! They also did blank black backgrounds with separate large white numbers for me to keep the 90s theme ??

Post a reply to: 96 cr125 build

The Latest