CRF150F/230F pitbike build

Cokeham23
Edited Date/Time 5/18/2018 8:03am
I know this isn’t yall’s cup of tea, but hopefully you can still appreciate it...

So, I’ve been riding KLX140’s for the past couple years, I honestly love that turd of a bike more than any other I own! Haha. My buddy introduced me to them, and we modded ours out together. We had been riding them for years when he decided to sell his 140 and try something new, a CRF230F... Of course after he gets one, I ride it and like it, so I start the search for my own.

230s are ridiculously expensive around here ($3k used is the average price), I ended up finding a 150F in Austin for $800. It was a little beat, and needed the carb cleaned, but it would make for a good donor. I originally planned on just swapping the spare 230F motor I had in it, adding some graphics, and powder coating the wheels.

I had it almost all together minus the wheels, dropped oil in it... and the cases leak! Angry At this point I said F it, if I’m taking the motor back out, I’m going all out! I pulled the motor, stripped it completely down to the bare frame and sent everything off to powder coat. While waiting on PC, I sent a list of parts to my buddy at Redline Powersports in Waco and had him order up every aftermarket part you see on the bike.

Finally got everything back from PC, and my box of parts a couple weeks later.

Got the bike pretty much all together... and my shock is blown out! I was just going with the stock shock and a BBR spring, but after this I decided to look into something better. No reason to short change the suspension after everything else. After searching for an aftermarket shock, I decided to go with a custom built one from Race Tech.

I had been planning on racing this bike at a mini arenacross race for pitbikes (Mini-X) on the 24th in Oklahoma. I got the shock on the Thursday before the race, picked up a few last minute things from the powder coater, and started assembling the bike Friday. I didn’t get done with it until 2am Saturday... And left for the race in Oklahoma at 6am! Haha.

I only rode the bike 3 laps in practice, but overall I really liked it. Have a few small things to button up, and want to change the plastic to the new style, but it’ll do for now.

|
PTshox
2/28/2018 8:55pm
Nice shock! Building one of these now.. but with CR80 forks, custom triple clamps, and a DT 175 2 stroke motor. Street legal. Should be a hoot!
sticecube
3/1/2018 8:01am
this thing is the tits. Hands down one of the best pit bike builds I've seen
Cokeham23
3/2/2018 8:14am
PT, that sounds like a cool build! Post it up.

Sticecube, and yak, thanks guys! I’m pretty happy with how it turned out. Hopefully spin some laps on it soon!

The Shop

PTshox
3/2/2018 10:45am
It may be a while... I have the chassis, forks etc... It's a roller currently. Finding a good donor DT175 that is registered in CA has been a challenge though.

How much that shock cost you? I modified a CR80 shock for mine... I may build up something different. A combination of two shocks and a remote res.
PTshox
3/3/2018 12:13pm Edited Date/Time 3/3/2018 12:14pm
Ouch! That's an expensive one. I talked to a buddy that's one of the engineers at Fox shox's and they don't make them
anymore.

But I have an idea...... for one that will work just as well and cost a bunch less. Stay tuned.

Here is the roller I have now... CRF250 disc brakes frnt and rear... need the donor DT175 still...

slipdog
3/3/2018 12:47pm
Been thinking about building something similar lately to start trail riding with my 6yr olds.
PTshox
3/3/2018 4:16pm
slipdog wrote:
Been thinking about building something similar lately to start trail riding with my 6yr olds.
It will be very interesting... air cooled 2 stroke. Light weight. Street Legal. Just have to get the donor bike and start cutting/ welding etc. Then work on suspension valving etc. Should be fun project.
slipdog
3/3/2018 6:31pm
PTshox wrote:
Ouch! That's an expensive one. I talked to a buddy that's one of the engineers at Fox shox's and they don't make them anymore. But I...
Ouch! That's an expensive one. I talked to a buddy that's one of the engineers at Fox shox's and they don't make them
anymore.

But I have an idea...... for one that will work just as well and cost a bunch less. Stay tuned.

Here is the roller I have now... CRF250 disc brakes frnt and rear... need the donor DT175 still...

The internals of the stock shock are basically the same as the CR85/CRF150r without the reservoir. I'm just going to revalve it like CR shock and add an adjustable remote reservoir I got from a Honda F4i. $50 for the whole shock thanks to ebay.
PTshox
3/3/2018 6:35pm Edited Date/Time 3/3/2018 6:43pm
I was headed in a similar direction... The CR80 lower shock shaft/piston (for the amount of rebound adjustment) in a different body with a Fox reservoir.

Does that F4i reservoir have high and low speed compression adjusters on it? Or just high speed?
3/26/2018 6:23am
Nice bike!
We have a crf150f pit bike too.
Who printed the number plates?
Thanks!
3/26/2018 8:32am
If you plan on racing it, put the 150f flywheel on. It will make it snappier and more lively than the typical trail-oriented 230f.
4/4/2018 10:38am
Cokeham23 wrote:
I know this isn’t yall’s cup of tea, but hopefully you can still appreciate it... So, I’ve been riding KLX140’s for the past couple years, I...
I know this isn’t yall’s cup of tea, but hopefully you can still appreciate it...

So, I’ve been riding KLX140’s for the past couple years, I honestly love that turd of a bike more than any other I own! Haha. My buddy introduced me to them, and we modded ours out together. We had been riding them for years when he decided to sell his 140 and try something new, a CRF230F... Of course after he gets one, I ride it and like it, so I start the search for my own.

230s are ridiculously expensive around here ($3k used is the average price), I ended up finding a 150F in Austin for $800. It was a little beat, and needed the carb cleaned, but it would make for a good donor. I originally planned on just swapping the spare 230F motor I had in it, adding some graphics, and powder coating the wheels.

I had it almost all together minus the wheels, dropped oil in it... and the cases leak! Angry At this point I said F it, if I’m taking the motor back out, I’m going all out! I pulled the motor, stripped it completely down to the bare frame and sent everything off to powder coat. While waiting on PC, I sent a list of parts to my buddy at Redline Powersports in Waco and had him order up every aftermarket part you see on the bike.

Finally got everything back from PC, and my box of parts a couple weeks later.

Got the bike pretty much all together... and my shock is blown out! I was just going with the stock shock and a BBR spring, but after this I decided to look into something better. No reason to short change the suspension after everything else. After searching for an aftermarket shock, I decided to go with a custom built one from Race Tech.

I had been planning on racing this bike at a mini arenacross race for pitbikes (Mini-X) on the 24th in Oklahoma. I got the shock on the Thursday before the race, picked up a few last minute things from the powder coater, and started assembling the bike Friday. I didn’t get done with it until 2am Saturday... And left for the race in Oklahoma at 6am! Haha.

I only rode the bike 3 laps in practice, but overall I really liked it. Have a few small things to button up, and want to change the plastic to the new style, but it’ll do for now.

Hey Man,
I really like the graphiics on this bike!
Who printed them?
Thanks!
Cokeham23
4/19/2018 3:38pm
Hey Man,
Who printed them?
Thanks!

KTM of North Texas/SLM Graphics. It’s a shop here in Arlington.
Moto Mofo
4/20/2018 11:14am
Awesome build!

Looks like a BBR perimeter bike in the background of the 2nd pic... what motor is in it?
4/21/2018 7:01am
Cokeham23 wrote:

Thank you, Cokeham!
I’ll post a pic here once I get them.
Cokeham23
5/4/2018 4:06pm
Moto Mofo wrote:
Awesome build!

Looks like a BBR perimeter bike in the background of the 2nd pic... what motor is in it?
Thank you!

Yeah, there’s actually 2 stuffed back there. 1 is a V3 with a stroked 165 motor. The other is a BBR framed 150/230 with another 230 engine. Both bikes are still a project
Lightning78
5/4/2018 8:29pm
Correct meif im wrong here but arent the forks on the CRF230 the same as the much beloved 1987 CR250 conventional cartridge forks? I swear Ive read that a few places before
Moto Mofo
5/5/2018 6:46pm Edited Date/Time 5/5/2018 6:47pm
Cokeham23 wrote:
Thank you! Yeah, there’s actually 2 stuffed back there. 1 is a V3 with a stroked 165 motor. The other is a BBR framed 150/230 with...
Thank you!

Yeah, there’s actually 2 stuffed back there. 1 is a V3 with a stroked 165 motor. The other is a BBR framed 150/230 with another 230 engine. Both bikes are still a project
Cool! Big BBR fan myself. It appears that you’re a North Texas guy... where do you ride these things? It seems like the pitbike scene has pretty much died in the area. I’ve got some Maddogs, but I only use them for TT/flat track at the Texas Tornado Boot Camp
Cokeham23
5/10/2018 7:31am
Moto Mofo wrote:
Cool! Big BBR fan myself. It appears that you’re a North Texas guy... where do you ride these things? It seems like the pitbike scene has...
Cool! Big BBR fan myself. It appears that you’re a North Texas guy... where do you ride these things? It seems like the pitbike scene has pretty much died in the area. I’ve got some Maddogs, but I only use them for TT/flat track at the Texas Tornado Boot Camp
Yeah, I’m in North Texas. I ride at Burleson, River Valley, and Village night track. All of those tracks are pretty fun on the maddogs. It’s died off quite a bit from a couple years ago. My buddy put on a race called The BROTY at Burleson for a few years, and we had 50+ entries for just the Pitbike class(es). Now there’s only a handful of guys up here that ride. There’s a group from Waco who have caught the KLX140 bug and have been coming up to ride a lot though. Hit me up if you want to give any of those tracks a try, I’ll go ride with ya!
Cokeham23
5/10/2018 7:31am
Correct meif im wrong here but arent the forks on the CRF230 the same as the much beloved 1987 CR250 conventional cartridge forks? I swear Ive...
Correct meif im wrong here but arent the forks on the CRF230 the same as the much beloved 1987 CR250 conventional cartridge forks? I swear Ive read that a few places before

Not sure on that. That would be pretty interesting though.
5/10/2018 11:14am
Hey Man,
Who printed them?
Thanks!
Cokeham23 wrote:

Thanks for helping me with SLM graphics.
This is my 2003 CRF 150. It has a Big Gun exhaust, BBR rev box, and an HRC jet kit. Runs pretty well. The rev box removes the rev limiter and really helps. icsi
Moto Mofo
5/14/2018 10:49am
Cokeham23 wrote:
Yeah, I’m in North Texas. I ride at Burleson, River Valley, and Village night track. All of those tracks are pretty fun on the maddogs. It’s...
Yeah, I’m in North Texas. I ride at Burleson, River Valley, and Village night track. All of those tracks are pretty fun on the maddogs. It’s died off quite a bit from a couple years ago. My buddy put on a race called The BROTY at Burleson for a few years, and we had 50+ entries for just the Pitbike class(es). Now there’s only a handful of guys up here that ride. There’s a group from Waco who have caught the KLX140 bug and have been coming up to ride a lot though. Hit me up if you want to give any of those tracks a try, I’ll go ride with ya!
Right on, I hit VC and RV occasionally, and Burleson whenever they run practice. I’ll have to bring some minibikes with me someday. Judging by your avatar, you must be the dude who is always at Burleson on the KLX140?
Cokeham23
5/18/2018 8:03am
Moto Mofo wrote:
Right on, I hit VC and RV occasionally, and Burleson whenever they run practice. I’ll have to bring some minibikes with me someday. Judging by your...
Right on, I hit VC and RV occasionally, and Burleson whenever they run practice. I’ll have to bring some minibikes with me someday. Judging by your avatar, you must be the dude who is always at Burleson on the KLX140?
Yeah man, bring them out!
And haha, yeah that’s me!

Post a reply to: CRF150F/230F pitbike build

The Latest